HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,629
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Nadi, 3 invisible), 3,062 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 45 of 51 1 2 43 44 45 46 47 50 51
Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Tom] #84876
02/05/07 09:00 AM
02/05/07 09:00 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
PS - I do not see how your analogy reflects the insights I've been posting. I see no corollary connection.

The analogy, as I pointed out, had to with the logic. You are having difficult seeing the logic of your argument. I keep pointing out why your argument is not logical, and you keep not dealing with the logic, but rather with the content of individual statements. The logic has to do with how the individual statements are put together. As far as the logic of the argument is put together, the content of the statements does not matter, except as to whether or not they are true.

You stated that since a person is free to sin after being born again, therefore being born again cannot be the sole reason as to why they can overcome sin. This is an illogical argument. I have repeatedly pointed out why. I gave the other argument as a analogy to the faulty logic that you used. That is, the argument about the aspirin uses the same logic you are using. I gave you this analogy to try to help you to look at the argument as a whole, so you could see why it's not logical, rather than get bogged down on the individual statements, which is not what I was commenting on.

Nevertheless, you keep commenting on the individual statements, rather than on the logic of the argument.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Tom] #84885
02/05/07 03:12 PM
02/05/07 03:12 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: When we cooperate with the Holy Spirit, what is it that He does? Doesn't He enable us to think right? How can we do right without thinking right?

MM: Thinking right and having holy thoughts are different things. Just because God successfully “convince all that are ungodly among them of all their ungodly deeds which they have ungodly committed” it doesn’t mean they are also capable of having holy thoughts. Cooperating with the Holy Spirit, abiding in Jesus, is what empowers us to have holy thoughts that are in harmony with the principles of right thinking.

TE: Right thinking does not come about merely as a result of God pointing out the truth. Why do you suggest this?

MM: I am making a distinction between knowing what is right, that is, knowing the truth about God’s law and character, and having holy thoughts that are in harmony with the truth as it is in Jesus. The devils believe and tremble. In other words, knowing what is right and true is not the same thing as be able to have holy thoughts, feelings, motives, words, and deeds. So, how are you defining “right thinking”?

Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Tom] #84886
02/05/07 03:23 PM
02/05/07 03:23 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: You stated that since a person is free to sin after being born again, therefore being born again cannot be the sole reason as to why they can overcome sin. This is an illogical argument.

MM: For some reason you keep dissecting my statements and contrasting them in a way that is contrary to my intent. The way you miss match them does sound crazy. But for the life of me I cannot understand why you think the following two insights are illogical.

1. Rebirth and abiding in Jesus empowers born again believers to not sin and to mature in the fruits of the Spirit.

2. Rebirth and abiding in Jesus, however, does not cause them to lose the ability or freedom to sin.

Again, please bear in mind that these statements relate to 1 John 3:6-9 where John describes rebirth and abiding in Jesus in the context of not sinning and maturing in the fruits of the Spirit (loving God and man).

Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Mountain Man] #84900
02/05/07 09:05 PM
02/05/07 09:05 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Here's what you wrote, MM:

Quote:
Since born again believers do not lose the ability or freedom to sin, rebirth, therefore, is not the solitary condition that makes it possible for them not to sin.

This is illogical. Do you understand this? I've explained why several times now. If you don't understand, just say, "No, I don't understand why this argument is illogical" and we don't need to discuss it anymore. I'll just live with your making statements like this.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Tom] #84901
02/05/07 09:27 PM
02/05/07 09:27 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I know you like authority based things, so here's a quote from the Spirit of Prophecy:

Quote:
The only security for any soul is right thinking. As a man "thinketh in his heart, so is he" (Proverbs 23:7). --MH 491 (1905). {2MCP 666.3}

This is what I've been saying. (She even quoted the same verse I did, and used the same logic.) Now you can accept it as truth, because someone besides me said it.

The devils to not think right. If you think they do, you've really misunderstood things. I don't know why you'd bring them up.

Chapter 27 of "Mind, Health, and Personality" is entitled "Right Thinking." You might find that helpful to look at.

Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Tom] #84920
02/06/07 02:07 AM
02/06/07 02:07 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
MM: Since born again believers do not lose the ability or freedom to sin, rebirth, therefore, is not the solitary condition that makes it possible for them not to sin.

TE: This is illogical.

MM: I am arguing against the idea that rebirth and right thinking are the reasons why people "cannot sin" (verse 9). Rebirth and right thinking are not the reasons why they cannot sin. Abiding in Jesus is what gives them the ability and freedom to not sin. And only born again believers can abide in Jesus. Thus, rebirth by itself is not enough. It takes both. Combined they empower people to live in harmony with right thinking.

EGW: The only security for any soul is right thinking. As a man "thinketh in his heart, so is he" (Proverbs 23:7). --MH 491 (1905). {2MCP 666.3}

TE: This is what I've been saying. (She even quoted the same verse I did, and used the same logic.) Now you can accept it as truth, because someone besides me said it.

MM: Are you sure right thinking is our "only" security?

CH 594
Our only security against falling into sin is to keep ourselves continually under the molding influence of the Holy Spirit, at the same time engaging actively in the cause of truth and holiness, discharging every God-given duty, but taking no burden which God has not laid upon us. {CH 594.2}

4BC 1166
Unless they trust in the righteousness of Christ as their only security; unless they copy His character, labor in His spirit, they are naked, they have not on the robe of His righteousness. {4BC 1166.2}

8T 106
Man's only security against rash, ambitious movements is to keep the heart in harmony with Christ Jesus. Man's wisdom is untrustworthy. Man is fickle, filled with self-esteem, pride, and selfishness. {8T 106.1}

UL 75
Christ is our only security. We cannot trust to human reasoning. The world is full of men and women who cherish deceptive theories, and it is dangerous to listen to them. {UL 75.5}

Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Mountain Man] #84923
02/06/07 02:40 AM
02/06/07 02:40 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM: Since born again believers do not lose the ability or freedom to sin, rebirth, therefore, is not the solitary condition that makes it possible for them not to sin.

TE: This is illogical.

MM: I am arguing against the idea that rebirth and right thinking are the reasons why people "cannot sin" (verse 9).

It doesn't matter what the purpose of your argument is. What you wrote above is illogical.

Rebirth and right thinking are not the reasons why they cannot sin. Abiding in Jesus is what gives them the ability and freedom to not sin. And only born again believers can abide in Jesus. Thus, rebirth by itself is not enough. It takes both. Combined they empower people to live in harmony with right thinking.

You're still not addressing the problem of your argument. You're making another argument, which we can discuss later. But first let's reach some sort of understanding on the previous one. The following statement is illogical:

Quote:
Since born again believers do not lose the ability or freedom to sin, rebirth, therefore, is not the solitary condition that makes it possible for them not to sin.

It simply does not follow that rebirth is not the solitary condition that make is possible for born again believers not to sin from the premise that "born again believers do not lose the ability or freedom to sin." That this argument is illogical can be seen by substituting some other criterion which you do think is sufficient for "born again believers". Say you think "born again believers abiding in Jesus" is a sufficient criterion to not sin. Then your argument would read like this:

Quote:
Since born again believers who abide in Jesus do not lose the ability or freedom to sin, rebirth plus abiding in Jesus, therefore, is not the solitary condition that makes it possible for them not to sin.

Your argument would never work, regardless of what you put in the place of "born again believers." It is fundamentally flawed.

EGW: The only security for any soul is right thinking. As a man "thinketh in his heart, so is he" (Proverbs 23:7). --MH 491 (1905). {2MCP 666.3}

TE: This is what I've been saying. (She even quoted the same verse I did, and used the same logic.) Now you can accept it as truth, because someone besides me said it.

You made a statement questioning Ellen White's statement and then quoting a bunch of other Ellen White statements. I'm sure you had some reason for doing this, but you didn't state what it was. Do you disagree with what she wrote?

Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Tom] #84940
02/06/07 04:09 PM
02/06/07 04:09 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: It doesn't matter what the purpose of your argument is. What you wrote above is illogical.

MM: Okay. You’re right. It is illogical. Thank you for pointing it out. Now we need to discuss the reason why born again believers “cannot sin” (verse 9).

TE: You made a statement questioning Ellen White's statement and then quoting a bunch of other Ellen White statements. I'm sure you had some reason for doing this, but you didn't state what it was. Do you disagree with what she wrote?

MM: I agree with everything she wrote about our “only” security, not with just the one quote you provided. I especially like this one - “Christ is our only security.” (UL 75)

Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Mountain Man] #84952
02/06/07 05:20 PM
02/06/07 05:20 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
TE: It doesn't matter what the purpose of your argument is. What you wrote above is illogical.

MM: Okay. You’re right. It is illogical. Thank you for pointing it out. Now we need to discuss the reason why born again believers “cannot sin” (verse 9).

This seems sarcastic. Here's something regarding sound arguments from Ellen White:

Quote:
It is important that in defending the doctrines which we consider fundamental articles of faith we should never allow ourselves to employ arguments that are not wholly sound. These may avail to silence an opposer but they do not honor the truth. We should present sound arguments, that will not only silence our opponents, but will bear the closest and most searching scrutiny.(5T 707, 708)

TE: You made a statement questioning Ellen White's statement and then quoting a bunch of other Ellen White statements. I'm sure you had some reason for doing this, but you didn't state what it was. Do you disagree with what she wrote?

MM: I agree with everything she wrote about our “only” security, not with just the one quote you provided. I especially like this one - “Christ is our only security.” (UL 75)

Well, she said the same thing I did, used the same logic, and used the same Scripture text. So if you agree with her, you agree with me.

Re: Christian Perfection of Character - what and how. [Re: Tom] #84984
02/07/07 03:45 PM
02/07/07 03:45 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: This seems sarcastic.

MM: I'm sorry. I am not being sarcastic. Let me know when you'd like to discuss the reason why born again believers “cannot sin” (verse 9). Thank you.

TE: Well, she said the same thing I did, used the same logic, and used the same Scripture text. So if you agree with her, you agree with me.

MM: Amen! Right thinking is crucial. But my favorite "only security" statement is “Christ is our only security.” (UL 75)

Page 45 of 51 1 2 43 44 45 46 47 50 51

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!