HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,600
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 2,944 guests, and 18 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 11 of 103 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 102 103
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #85141
02/09/07 12:10 PM
02/09/07 12:10 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Another question to consider is what makes it possible for God to see the future. I think many think that God has some special power that we don't have, like a witch who can gaze into a crystal ball. I don't perceive it that way. I think God experiences time similarly to how we do (there are literally dozens of Scripture passages, maybe hundreds, which present God in this way, as experiencing time; just to mention one, God repented that He had made man). The difference between God's knowledge of the future and ours is one of intelligence.

That is, God is infinitely intelligent, and because of this He is able to figure out everything that can possibly happen, and has power, based on His intelligence, to visualize what will happen. Also God is not a passive observer of human events. He is actively involved. He doesn't do anything to infringe upon our free will, but He works to bring about His will. He shapes the future. This should be the lesson of prophecy; not that God see the future (that's never His point) but that He shapes it. For example:

Quote:
Declaring the end from the beginning, And from ancient times things that are not yet done, Saying, 'My counsel shall stand, And I will do all My pleasure,' Calling a bird of prey from the east, The man who executes My counsel, from a far country. Indeed I have spoken it; I will also bring it to pass. I have purposed it; I will also do it. (Isa. 46:10, 11)

"I have spoken it; I will also bring it to pass. I have purposed it; I will also do it."

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #85175
02/10/07 01:06 AM
02/10/07 01:06 AM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Tom,

What you are posting seems to basically say that man doesn't really have free will, only God directed will, in that God makes us choose to do this or that, as in the case of Peter and Judas.

If this were true, then God would also be responsible for the choices we all made, both human and angel alike, as well as the choices we will make, which, again, if what you are posting is true, wouldn't really be our choice at all, but God's choice imposed upon us.

This all goes contrary to the God I know.

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Daryl] #85180
02/10/07 01:49 AM
02/10/07 01:49 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Daryl, nothing I've said states that God makes us choose to do anything. Why do you have that idea?

Here's what I'm saying. If a person can only do one thing, say A, and not B, then we cannot have a definition of free will which states that he can do either of A or B. It's really not a point which directly involves God.

Now if the person really can do either of A or B, then we cannot, without incurring a logical contradiction, have a definition of the future (e.g. it's fixed, or it's like a T.V. rerun, or it's just like the past) that necessitates that only A can happen.

Does this make sense to you Daryl?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #85181
02/10/07 01:58 AM
02/10/07 01:58 AM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
That's just it.

A person can choose either A or B.

God knows beforehand what choice a person is going to make. In other words, God knows in advance whether or not a person is going to choose A or B.

In the case of Peter, Christ knew that Peter would choose choice B (denying Him) over choice A (not denying Him), even though Peter said he would do choice A.

Daryl smile

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #85182
02/10/07 02:07 AM
02/10/07 02:07 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
MM: Explaining what a person will do, before they do it, based on divine foreknowledge or hindsight, has nothing to do with whether or not that person can't or won't do something else.

TE: It depends upon whether or not the person can actually do something else. For example, I know my wife well enough to know that if I say something in certain circumstance she will respond in a certain way. But can she actually do something different? Yes she can.

MM: Comparing your imperfect knowledge to God’s perfect knowledge is hardly helpful.

TE: However, if our future history is recorded in a book, can we do something different than what's recorded? No.

MM: What book are you talking about?

TE: I asked you earlier if the fact that God has seen us doing A in the future means that A will happen, and you responded "yes."

MM: Right.

TE: Now if A must happen, then I can't do anything other than A. God's foreknowledge doesn't force me to do A, however. What "forces" me to do A ("force" is really the wrong word, but it's the word you have been using, so I'll go along with it) is that fact that I can't do anything other than A.

MM: How do you know “A” must happen? What is the basis of your information? Who told you only “A” will or can happen?

TE: Again, God's foreknowledge isn't the problem. The problem is that only A can happen and not B.

MM: Again, how do you know what will and will not happen? Who told you?

TE: God's foreknowledge doesn't force us to do anything. Everyone knows this. Please don't keep making this point. No one is saying otherwise.

MM: Our knowledge of the future is based on God’s divine ability to view the future like history. Otherwise, we know nothing about the future. We do not possess the necessary divine attributes to view the future like history. Only God can do it. Thus, we cannot divorce God’s ability to foretell the future from this discussion.

For God, foreknowledge and hindsight are one and the same thing. Hindsight is 20/20. It’s like watching a rerun. He views the future in exactly the same way He views history. God is simply reporting what has already happened - before it happens.

As such, whether a person can or cannot do this or that is not an issue. It has nothing to do with it. What is done is done. Reporting what has already happened does not, in the least, affect the facts. It has nothing to do with what a person can or cannot do. It’s already done!

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Mountain Man] #85183
02/10/07 02:20 AM
02/10/07 02:20 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
That's just it.

God knows beforehand what choice a person is going to make. In other words, God knows in advance whether or not a person is going to choose A or B.

Here's the problem. If God knows that the person will choose A, then he can't choose B. It's not that God forces Him not to choose B, it's just that it's not logically possible for him to choose B since B can't happen.

I think this would be easier to deal with if you take God out of the question. We can add Him in later. For now, please let me ask if the following makes sense.

If a person can do A or B, then it's not possible for the future to be such that only A can happen. Let's just try this for now. Would you agree to this? Does this make sense?

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #85185
02/10/07 02:31 AM
02/10/07 02:31 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM: Explaining what a person will do, before they do it, based on divine foreknowledge or hindsight, has nothing to do with whether or not that person can't or won't do something else.

TE: It depends upon whether or not the person can actually do something else. For example, I know my wife well enough to know that if I say something in certain circumstance she will respond in a certain way. But can she actually do something different? Yes she can.

MM: Comparing your imperfect knowledge to God’s perfect knowledge is hardly helpful.

It's as helpful about talking about knowledge at all. This isn't an epistemological issue; it's an ontological one.

TE: However, if our future history is recorded in a book, can we do something different than what's recorded? No.

MM: What book are you talking about?

A hypothetical book.

TE: I asked you earlier if the fact that God has seen us doing A in the future means that A will happen, and you responded "yes."

MM: Right.

TE: Now if A must happen, then I can't do anything other than A. God's foreknowledge doesn't force me to do A, however. What "forces" me to do A ("force" is really the wrong word, but it's the word you have been using, so I'll go along with it) is that fact that I can't do anything other than A.

MM: How do you know “A” must happen? What is the basis of your information? Who told you only “A” will or can happen?

It should be obvious that this doesn't matter. Why it is known that A will occur isn't important. What's important to the argument is that A must happen.

TE: Again, God's foreknowledge isn't the problem. The problem is that only A can happen and not B.

MM: Again, how do you know what will and will not happen? Who told you?

Again, this isn't the issue. The problem is not epistimelogical. It's ontological. In other words, what is known or not known is not the issue. The issue involves reality. Reality is what it is regardless of whether or not we know what it is.

If the person in my example must to A, then the fact that he doesn't know he must to A (because the future is hidden to him) doesn't make it any less the case that he can't do B. The fact that he thinks he can do B when he can't doesn't change the fact that he can't do B.

TE: God's foreknowledge doesn't force us to do anything. Everyone knows this. Please don't keep making this point. No one is saying otherwise.

MM: Our knowledge of the future is based on God’s divine ability to view the future like history.

Only to a small degree. Our knowledge of the future is based upon our intelligence and experience. What God says about the future is only one of many factors that we take into account. Now if you're dealing with some prophetic event, then of course what God says forms a huge percentage of what we know about that future event. But if you're dealing with something like what you think will happen tomorrow, like whether it will rain or not, God's divine ability to view the future doesn't come into play much if at all.

Otherwise, we know nothing about the future. We do not possess the necessary divine attributes to view the future like history. Only God can do it. Thus, we cannot divorce God’s ability to foretell the future from this discussion.

For God, foreknowledge and hindsight are one and the same thing. Hindsight is 20/20. It’s like watching a rerun. He views the future in exactly the same way He views history. God is simply reporting what has already happened - before it happens.

As such, whether a person can or cannot do this or that is not an issue. It has nothing to do with it. What is done is done. Reporting what has already happened does not, in the least, affect the facts. It has nothing to do with what a person can or cannot do. It’s already done!

You're really not even touching the point I have been making. I have pointed out repeatedly that God's foreknowledge isn't important to the argument. It's just cloudying up the water. Let's keep things simple, then add complexity later.

If a person can do either A or B, then the future cannot be such that only A can happen. Does this make sense to you?

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Daryl] #85200
02/10/07 01:26 PM
02/10/07 01:26 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Originally Posted By: Daryl Fawcett
Tom,

What you are posting seems to basically say that man doesn't really have free will, only God directed will, in that God makes us choose to do this or that, as in the case of Peter and Judas.

If this were true, then God would also be responsible for the choices we all made, both human and angel alike, as well as the choices we will make, which, again, if what you are posting is true, wouldn't really be our choice at all, but God's choice imposed upon us.

This all goes contrary to the God I know.
Daryl, this is a very good explanation of where, in my opinion, we end up with the "God sees the future as if it was a TV rerun" theory. The one I think you explain in the post below. IMO, your point below leads inevietably to your example above.

Originally Posted By: Daryl Fawcett
That's just it.

In the case of Peter, Christ knew that Peter would choose choice B (denying Him) over choice A (not denying Him), even though Peter said he would do choice A.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: vastergotland] #85208
02/10/07 05:25 PM
02/10/07 05:25 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: If the person in my example must to A, then the fact that he doesn't know he must to A (because the future is hidden to him) doesn't make it any less the case that he can't do B. The fact that he thinks he can do B when he can't doesn't change the fact that he can't do B.

MM: The words “must do” and “can’t do” do not make sense to me, Tom. We’re talking about God’s divine hindsight, His ability to view the future like history. Words like “must do” or “can’t do” do not make sense to me since God is describing something that someone has already done. I think He would use words like “will do” and “has done” and “did not do”.

TE: Now if you're dealing with some prophetic event, then of course what God says forms a huge percentage of what we know about that future event.

MM: What does our percentage consist of?

TE: But if you're dealing with something like what you think will happen tomorrow, like whether it will rain or not, God's divine ability to view the future doesn't come into play much if at all.

MM: Unless we’re talking about Noah. This discussion is, at least I thought it was, dealing with God’s ability to foretell future events like reporting history. Not what could or might happen – but what has already happened.

Quote:
Otherwise, we know nothing about the future. We do not possess the necessary divine attributes to view the future like history. Only God can do it. Thus, we cannot divorce God’s ability to foretell the future from this discussion.

TE: You're really not even touching the point I have been making. I have pointed out repeatedly that God's foreknowledge isn't important to the argument. It's just cloudying up the water. Let's keep things simple, then add complexity later.

MM: “Thus, we cannot divorce God’s ability to foretell the future from this discussion.” (Please see context above)

TE: If a person can do either A or B, then the future cannot be such that only A can happen. Does this make sense to you?

MM: Only if we divorce God’s foreknowledge and hindsight from the equation. From our perspective, if God says nothing about it, the future is unknown. We cannot know with certainty what will or will not happen.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: vastergotland] #85209
02/10/07 05:30 PM
02/10/07 05:30 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
I just discovered that Tom created a new topic on this, therefore, let us continue with this side-topic there. Use relevant quotes from this topic here, but discuss it there.

When Tom created the new topic, he should have informed us here, so we could have gone there, myself included.

Daryl smile

Page 11 of 103 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 102 103

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/28/24 11:09 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/28/24 09:29 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!