HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,631
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, dedication, TheophilusOne, 1 invisible), 3,255 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 12 of 22 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 21 22
Re: The Contradiction [Re: Mountain Man] #85345
02/12/07 11:16 PM
02/12/07 11:16 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
For example, leaving God completely out of the equation, if I choose to do A, then how can I do B?

The starting point here is "I choose to do A." Clearly if you choose to do A, you can't choose B. The starting point of my question is before choosing A.

What I'm pointing out, which is very simple, is that if A must happen, then, to be logically consistent, a definition of free will must reflect that reality. You agree with that, don't you?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Contradiction [Re: Tom] #85347
02/12/07 11:24 PM
02/12/07 11:24 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Here is another way of saying it.

I have two choices to make, either choice A, or choice B.

I, of my own freewill, choose to do choice A.

God in His foreknowledge enters into the picture knowing that I will choose choice A instead of choice B, even before I made the choice, however, I was still the one who could either choose A or B. God knew, however, beforehand, that I would choose A over B. My freedom of choice wasn't compromised. If I had chosen choice B, which I could have done, then God in his foreknowledge would have known that I would have chosen B instead of A.

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: The Contradiction [Re: Mountain Man] #85348
02/12/07 11:26 PM
02/12/07 11:26 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
a) The future is a "done deal."
b) The future is not fixed.

MM: This equation does not factor in God’s divine ability to see the future like history, like a rerun.

This doesn't matter. It's like saying "This book is white." "This book is not white." This is a contraction, even if you factor in God's divine ability to see the future like history. Similarly "the future is a done deal" "the futue is not fixed (i.e., NOT a done deal)" is a contradiction.

Nobody is accusing God of “fixing” things simply because He knows the future like history, like a rerun.

Correct. No one is accusing God of fixing things. This isn't being discussed, but it's a correct observation.

a) There was a risk involved in sending Christ. (I'm assuming you agree with this, since that's what Ellen White wrote).
b) There was no chance that Christ would fail.

MM: Again, Jesus possessed the ability to sin and die, which He didn’t before His incarnation.

Not under discussion.

The “risk” Sister White wrote about does not include Jesus failing and dying eternally.

She wrote, "At the risk of failure and eternal life." This includes, I believe, the risk of eternal life.

Divinity cannot die.

She speaks of the stone never being rolled away from the tomb, as I recall.

5BC 1113
"I am the resurrection, and the life." He who had said, "I lay down my life, that I might take it again," came forth from the grave to life that was in Himself. Humanity died: divinity did not die. In His divinity, Christ possessed the power to break the bonds of death. He declares that He has life in Himself to quicken whom He will. {5BC 1113.6}

a) There is only one option, A.
b) In spite of this there is risk, peril, and the ability to choose between more options than A.

MM: Again, this formula divorces God from the equation.

Again, this has nothing to do with things.

TE: I quoted from a source dealing with basic theology. What it stated is well known, and has been recognized for a long time. It's simply stating what the logical consequences are of the idea you are espousing.

MM: I do not agree with your quote. It does not represent what I believe.

The quote is not dealing with what you believe, but with the results of what you believe. It talks about seeing the future like history, which IS what you believe, and then what the consequences of such a belief are.

TE: This doesn't have anything to do with God's foreknowledge. It A must happen, and B can't, then we should have a definition of free will which takes this into account.

MM: Divorcing God from this discussion makes it pointless. There is no context upon which to discuss the future. Nobody, but God, knows the future. Saying “A” will happen and “B” cannot happen is meaningless unless we factor in God’s ability to see the future like history, like a rerun.

This response is like my asking you the question, "Is it true that the density of prime numbers does not change and numbers increase?" with "Divorcing God from this discussion is pointless."

The question of whether the fact that an event A must happen implies that must do A does not require a discussion of God's foreknowledge. You just don't want to discuss it, perhaps because you don't like the obvious conclusion, which is that if we must do A, then we don't have the ability to do B.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The Contradiction [Re: Mountain Man] #85349
02/12/07 11:33 PM
02/12/07 11:33 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
TE: The fuss is over free will, not God's foreknowledge. If only TE: If only A can happen, as MM is insisting, then we cannot do B. We do not have the ability to do anything other than A. That has implications for free will, where we only think we can do something other than A, but can't really do it.

MM: You misrepresent the view I have embraced.

I've asked you several times if the fact that God knows with 100% certainty that A will occur means that A will occur. You even went to so far as to say there is no other option; there is only A. How is my saying that you say that only A can occur misrepresenting your view? It's just what you said!

TE: I'm not discussing your view at all. I couldn't possibly be misrepresenting a view I'm not representing at all.

MM: "If only A can happen, as MM is insisting, then we cannot do B." This misrepresents the view I have embraced.

This is just what you said.

Quote:
There is no such thing as “B”. What has happened is “A”.

If there is no such thing as B, then only A can happen, right? How is this misrepresenting your view?

Re: The Contradiction [Re: Tom] #85350
02/12/07 11:38 PM
02/12/07 11:38 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: He could only report what had been determined. An event which is not determined is not reportable.

MM: Again, this idea assumes God does not see the future like history, like a rerun.

TE: No, it doesn't. It has nothing to do with what view one takes of how God sees the future. What makes you think this?

MM: God does not “determine” the future. He simply reports what has happened. He knows the future like history, like a rerun.

TE: Yes, but according to your view, A must happen *before* the fact, because God knows it will happen *before* the fact. So before the fact, our options are limited, according to your view. Only A is possible. You've said this many times now.

MM: “A” cannot happen “before” the fact. “A” happens when it happens. “A” doesn’t happen “because” God knows it will happen. God reports “A” happened because He watched it happen.

TE: It means He could have come at some other time, which means the future is not fixed.

MM: I disagree.

TE: That's preposterous! Only if I made an eggregious typo. Where did I post such a thing?

MM: Here’s what you wrote - “He foresaw the possibility that Christ would fail, but took the risk anyway.” (85288)

TE: Only if the Bible does not agree with Ellen White's statement.

MM: Nowhere in the Bible or the SOP does it say God did not know if Jesus would fail or succeed on the cross. The prophecies repeatedly say He would succeed. Many other prophecies are based on the fact He would succeed.

Re: The Contradiction [Re: Tom] #85351
02/12/07 11:39 PM
02/12/07 11:39 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Daryl, here's my question. If only A can happen, then you can't do B, right? Given that it's true that only A can happen, any definition of free will, to be accurate, should reflect this fact, shouldn't it?

There's no need to introduce God's foreknowledge into things to answer this question.

Re: The Contradiction [Re: Tom] #85352
02/12/07 11:40 PM
02/12/07 11:40 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Quote:
God in His foreknowledge enters into the picture knowing that I will choose choice A instead of choice B, even before I made the choice, however, I was still the one who could either choose A or B. God knew, however, beforehand, that I would choose A over B. My freedom of choice wasn't compromised. If I had chosen choice B, which I could have done, then God in his foreknowledge would have known that I would have chosen B instead of A.

What comes first, Daryl, you're choosing A or B, or God's foreknowledge of that fact?

Re: The Contradiction [Re: Daryl] #85353
02/12/07 11:43 PM
02/12/07 11:43 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Originally Posted By: Daryl Fawcett
Here is another way of saying it.

I have two choices to make, either choice A, or choice B.

I, of my own freewill, choose to do choice A.

Good job, Daryl.

Re: The Contradiction [Re: Mountain Man] #85354
02/12/07 11:46 PM
02/12/07 11:46 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM: It was you who posted God knew Jesus “would” fail.

That's preposterous! Only if I made an eggregious typo. Where did I post such a thing?

Here’s what you wrote - “He foresaw the possibility that Christ would fail, but took the risk anyway.” (85288)

You don't understand that there's a difference between "God knew Jesus would fail" and "God foresaw the possibility that Christ would fail"? That's hard to believe.

Re: The Contradiction [Re: Tom] #85355
02/12/07 11:52 PM
02/12/07 11:52 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM, I can't follow your post. You don't include the context of a lot of the comments, and don't mark off where one idea starts and another ends. That is, I don't know where the conversations start and end.

For example, on the previous post, I had to go back to get the comment from you "It was you who posted God knew Jesus 'would' fail". That should be included in your post, as my comment "That's preposterous. Only if I made an egregious typo. Where did I post such a thing?" doesn't have any context.

Page 12 of 22 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 21 22

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/12/24 10:01 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!