HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,630
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Daryl, Karen Y, dedication, 2 invisible), 2,943 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 15 16
Re: Does God wait until after we are born again to reveal to us certain sinful habits? If so, why? [Re: John Boskovic] #85716
02/24/07 03:49 AM
02/24/07 03:49 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
John, then how do you explain all the passages where God commands us to expel our sinful habits? Are you going easy on sin? What is so evil about searching ourselves, seeking sinful habits that need crucifying?

2 Corinthians
Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

Psalm
139:23 Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts:
139:24 And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.

DA 466
In the change that takes place when the soul surrenders to Christ, there is the highest sense of freedom. The expulsion of sin is the act of the soul itself. True, we have no power to free ourselves from Satan's control; but when we desire to be set free from sin, and in our great need cry out for a power out of and above ourselves, the powers of the soul are imbued with the divine energy of the Holy Spirit, and they obey the dictates of the will in fulfilling the will of God. {DA 466.4}

Re: Does God wait until after we are born again to reveal to us certain sinful habits? If so, why? [Re: Mountain Man] #85717
02/24/07 04:46 AM
02/24/07 04:46 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM, if you read what John wrote, in his very last post, it explains your question. There's no need for him to explain anything; he already explained it. Just read his post!

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does God wait until after we are born again to reveal to us certain sinful habits? If so, why? [Re: Mountain Man] #85721
02/24/07 07:24 AM
02/24/07 07:24 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
 Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Your answers, Thomas, do not address my questions. The quote I posted from SC 29 does not teach we must confess every sinful habit before we come to Christ. Instead, it teaches that knowing Jesus helps us understand which habits must be crucified.

She makes it clear that one ray of the glory of God, one gleam of the purity of Christ, penetrating the soul, makes every spot of defilement painfully distinct, and lays bare the deformity and defects of the human character.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but you seem to be arguing that this quote does not teach that the glory of God and the purity of Jesus makes every spot of defilement painfully distinct, that it does not teach that it lays bare the deformity and defects of the human character.
Mike, I dont rely on your quote, Ive read the entire chapter.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: Does God wait until after we are born again to reveal to us certain sinful habits? If so, why? [Re: Mountain Man] #85751
02/25/07 03:51 PM
02/25/07 03:51 PM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
MM: Are you going easy on sin?

No, rather I am speaking that which ends the continuation of sin.

MM: What is so evil about searching ourselves, seeking sinful habits that need crucifying?

Self-righteousness!

2 Corinthians
Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

This is the point. We are admonished to examine whether we be “in faith” (not whether we have some sin-habit). We are admonished to know how Christ is in us (not whether we have some sin-habit). To start looking for sin is to become a reprobate.

Psalm
139:23 Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts:
139:24 And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.

1) At what time in his life did David pray this?
2) David did not say anything about searching himself; nor did he say that God was to reveal sin to him, but that God would lead him in the way everlasting. God knows the way to glory from where we are.
Have you seen and become a partaker of the glory of God?
Have you seen and become a partaker of all the glory of God?

The more we see the glory of God, the more we see that the essence of sin is: “looking for fault”.

• 1Pe 4:8 And above all things have fervent charity among yourselves: for charity shall cover the multitude of sins.
    2Co 12:9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

Re: Does God wait until after we are born again to reveal to us certain sinful habits? If so, why? [Re: John Boskovic] #85755
02/25/07 04:34 PM
02/25/07 04:34 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
John, it sounds like you are soft on sin. The Bible reflects the fact that God is focused on saving us from our sinful habits. True, the law and love of God causes us to realize that the only way we can be saved from our sinful habits is by focusing on Jesus, but this is no way means God is soft on sin. I agree that God's law and love is what motivates us to abide in Jesus, to mature in the fruits of the Spirit.

Ridding ourselves of sinful cultivated habits, however, is as important as maturing in the fruits of the Spirit. Resisting sinning, overcoming as Jesus overcame, is a key aspect of salvation. Not sinning is important. Not crucifying Christ afresh is essential.

It does not sound like you agree. "To start looking for sin is to become a reprobate." Again, to be successful, we must focus on Jesus. We cannot resist sinning by focusing on not sinning. Sin loses all its power and appeal at the cross.

Matthew
1:21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.

John
8:11 She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.

1 John
3:5 And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin.

1 John
3:8 He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

Re: Does God wait until after we are born again to reveal to us certain sinful habits? If so, why? [Re: Mountain Man] #85771
02/25/07 10:04 PM
02/25/07 10:04 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
JB: To start looking for sin is to become a reprobate.

MM: The following insight disagrees with your declaration:

TDG 83
We are not to pass on indifferently. We must inquire into the character of our thoughts and feelings, our tempers, purposes, words, and deeds. We are not safe unless we are constantly and successfully warring against our own sinful corruptions. We must consider whether we are an example of Christian holiness, whether we are in the faith. Unless we search diligently examining our hearts in the light of God's Word, self-love will prompt to a much better opinion of ourselves than we should have. {TDG 83.3}

Re: Does God wait until after we are born again to reveal to us certain sinful habits? If so, why? [Re: Mountain Man] #85772
02/25/07 10:24 PM
02/25/07 10:24 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Gal 2:15 We being Jews by nature, and not sinners of the Gentiles,
Gal 2:16 yet knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law but through faith in Jesus Christ, even we believed on Christ Jesus, that we might be justified by faith in Christ, and not by the works of the law: because by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.
Gal 2:17 But if, while we sought to be justified in Christ, we ourselves also were found sinners, is Christ a minister of sin? God forbid.
Gal 2:18 For if I build up again those things which I destroyed, I prove myself a transgressor.
Gal 2:19 For I through the law died unto the law, that I might live unto God.
Gal 2:20 I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I that live, but Christ living in me: and that life which I now live in the flesh I live in faith, the faith which is in the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself up for me.
Gal 2:21 I do not make void the grace of God: for if righteousness is through the law, then Christ died for nought.

Rom 3:19 Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it speaketh to them that are under the law; that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may be brought under the judgment of God:
Rom 3:20 because by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified in his sight; for through the law cometh the knowledge of sin.
Rom 3:21 But now apart from the law a righteousness of God hath been manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets;
Rom 3:22 even the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ unto all them that believe; for there is no distinction;
Rom 3:23 for all have sinned, and fall short of the glory of God;
Rom 3:24 being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:
Rom 3:25 whom God set forth to be a propitiation, through faith, in his blood, to show his righteousness because of the passing over of the sins done aforetime, in the forbearance of God;
Rom 3:26 for the showing, I say, of his righteousness at this present season: that he might himself be just, and the justifier of him that hath faith in Jesus.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: Does God wait until after we are born again to reveal to us certain sinful habits? If so, why? [Re: vastergotland] #85783
02/26/07 02:18 AM
02/26/07 02:18 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM:John, it sounds like you are soft on sin.

You should read more carefully! John wrote:

Quote:
No, rather I am speaking that which ends the continuation of sin.

This sounds like 1888 all over again. Jones and Waggoner presented justification by faith in Christ, and the old guard thought they were "soft on sin." But they were doing exactly what John has said, which was to speak of that which ends the continuation of sin, which is faith, not some theory based on sinful habits.

MM:The Bible reflects the fact that God is focused on saving us from our sinful habits.

God is focused on saving our souls by giving us Christ. The Bible reflects God's emphasis on revealing Himself to us. We are saved by faith.

Please consider the following SOP quote:

Quote:
Christ exalted the character of God, attributing to him the praise, and giving to him the credit, of the whole purpose of his own mission on earth,--to set men right through the revelation of God. (ST 1/20/90)

The whole purpose of Christ's mission on earth was the revelation of God. This is what is important. Not the revelation of sinful habits, but of God.

When one knows Christ, the heart is converted, and sinful habits die away as Christ becomes master. This is not "soft on sin," but the only way out!

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does God wait until after we are born again to reveal to us certain sinful habits? If so, why? [Re: Tom] #85791
02/26/07 03:45 PM
02/26/07 03:45 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Thomas, again, it sounds like you agree with me, that is, that the Holy Spirit, through a revelation of the law and love of God, saves us from our sinful habits, saves us so that we can be like Jesus, so that we can mature in the fruits of the Spirit. The passages you quoted indicate you believe it.

Tom, again, I agree with John that the Holy Spirit saves us from our sinful habits through a revelation of the law and love of God in the person of Jesus Christ. You and I, however, disagree as to the timing and degree we are saved from our sinful habits at the moment we complete the process of conversion.

John, Tom, and Thomas, it would help me if you answered the following questions in your own words and then use inspired quotes to substantiate your answers. It would also be helpful if you answered them the way you think I would answer them. I suspect we are misunderstanding each other. Thank you.

1. When do we begin the "patient, protracted process" (DA 172) of conversion?

2. When do we complete the "patient, protracted process" of conversion?

3. When do we experience the miracle of rebirth in relation to completing the "patient, protracted process" of conversion?

4. Does God wait until after we are born again to reveal to us certain sinful habits? If so, why?

5. What do "I die daily" (1 Cor 15:31) and "stay converted" (OHC 215) mean in light of completing the process of conversion and walking in the Spirit and mind of the new man as a born again believer?

6. Is true, genuine conversion and rebirth common or "rare" (6BC 1075) among people professing to be Christians? If not, why not?

Re: Does God wait until after we are born again to reveal to us certain sinful habits? If so, why? [Re: Tom] #85794
02/26/07 04:14 PM
02/26/07 04:14 PM
D
DenBorg  Offline
Blanchard, OK
 Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
Please consider the following SOP quote:

Quote:
Christ exalted the character of God, attributing to him the praise, and giving to him the credit, of the whole purpose of his own mission on earth,--to set men right through the revelation of God. (ST 1/20/90)

The whole purpose of Christ's mission on earth was the revelation of God. This is what is important. Not the revelation of sinful habits, but of God.

The revelation of sinful habits and the removal of them is not important?!! Hmmmm.... Are you sure you want to convey that message?

Let's take a closer look at the SOP quote you gave:

Q. What is the whole purpose of His mission on earth?
A. "to set men right".

Q. How did He go about fulfilling this mission?
A. "through the revelation of God".

Discussion: What does it mean to set men right? Wouldn't that include, among other things, the revelation of sin in man's life contrasted with the love and holiness of God, such that we seek to be closer to Him and for His cleansing power in our lives?

I see what appears to me to be wrong assumptions on both sides of the fence of this discussion.

One side assumes that by revealing and removing sin, they mean that one does it by his/her own power and excluding God out of the picture. One poster called it "self-righteous". This assumption is made despite the explicit commentary about accomplishing this by the power of God and His indwelling in us.

On the other side, I see looking to the revelation of God and becoming more like Him as "soft on sin", despite the commentary describing the means to cease from sin.

It seems to me that you both are probably talking about the two sides of the same coin, but they are the same coin. Both the revelation of God and the revelation of sin in our lives are important. It takes more than the mere mental ascent of what God is like and Who He is. This intellectual knowledge does us no good unless applied and lived in our lives. The revelation and removal of sin in our lives is accomplished by the power and indwelling of our God. I often ask Him to reveal things that have come between Him and I, that I may confess it and have it covered and removed by His shed blood, and that I may more fully yield myself to His Holy Spirit and live a Godly life by His power in me.

May God richly bless all of you with His love, power and presence. May we all become more like Him and live in mutual harmony, respect and love.

God Bless.

Page 3 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 15 16

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!