HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,638
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, TheophilusOne, 2 invisible), 3,232 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 15 16
Re: Does God wait until after we are born again to reveal to us certain sinful habits? If so, why? [Re: Mountain Man] #85797
02/26/07 06:14 PM
02/26/07 06:14 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
 Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Thomas, again, it sounds like you agree with me, that is, that the Holy Spirit, through a revelation of the law and love of God, saves us from our sinful habits, saves us so that we can be like Jesus, so that we can mature in the fruits of the Spirit. The passages you quoted indicate you believe it.
I believe that "the Holy Spirit, through a revelation of Jesus, saves us to a father-child relationship with God, saves us so that we can be like Jesus, so that we can mature in the fruits of the Spirit." (Note that someone who is mature in the fruits of the Spirit cannot at the same time be mature in the fruits of sin)
 Quote:

John, Tom, and Thomas, it would help me if you answered the following questions in your own words and then use inspired quotes to substantiate your answers. It would also be helpful if you answered them the way you think I would answer them. I suspect we are misunderstanding each other. Thank you.

1. When do we begin the "patient, protracted process" (DA 172) of conversion?
Thomas: The day we become aware of the Holy Spirits work on us.

I dont know what you would say to this one if it is different than what I wrote.
 Quote:

2. When do we complete the "patient, protracted process" of conversion?
Thomas: The day when we surrender at the foot of the cross and declare Jesus our Lord and Saviour.

I suspect you would answere something like 'the day we no longer sin'.
 Quote:

3. When do we experience the miracle of rebirth in relation to completing the "patient, protracted process" of conversion?
Thomas: Rebirth happens when we, at the foot of the cross, believe Gods promise.

I suspect that you again would say that this happens when we no longer sin, in other words, fullfill the law perfectly...
 Quote:

4. Does God wait until after we are born again to reveal to us certain sinful habits? If so, why?
Thomas: Not sure.
 Quote:

5. What do "I die daily" (1 Cor 15:31) and "stay converted" (OHC 215) mean in light of completing the process of conversion and walking in the Spirit and mind of the new man as a born again believer?
Thomas: Considering that this verse stands in the context of the ressurection... And that with verses such as 22:For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive...
 Quote:

6. Is true, genuine conversion and rebirth common or "rare" (6BC 1075) among people professing to be Christians? If not, why not?
We can speculate on this, but we can never put any numbers on it.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: Does God wait until after we are born again to reveal to us certain sinful habits? If so, why? [Re: DenBorg] #85799
02/26/07 06:26 PM
02/26/07 06:26 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Den, you seem to have difficulty understanding what I'm saying (for which I may be at fault; I'm not blaming you here, just making an observation) So rather than respond directly to your post, let me ask, what do you think I'm trying to say? There's only 4 pages in this thread, so please take the time to read what I've posted here. Also please read what John has written, because I agree completely with John. Then please summarize what you think MM is saying and what we are saying, and I'll jump back in.

Thanks!

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does God wait until after we are born again to reveal to us certain sinful habits? If so, why? [Re: DenBorg] #85800
02/26/07 06:31 PM
02/26/07 06:31 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas

At birth.

At death. (conversion, like sanctification, is the work of a life time; we don't stop being converted when we first give ourselves to Christ.)

3. When do we experience the miracle of rebirth in relation to completing the "patient, protracted process" of conversion?

When we believe.

4. Does God wait until after we are born again to reveal to us certain sinful habits? If so, why?

According to you, yes, He waits for smoking, polygamy, and drinking(?) (was Luther lost?). I don't think you know why. Your answer is good enough for me, although I think your list is short.

5. What do "I die daily" (1 Cor 15:31) and "stay converted" (OHC 215) mean in light of completing the process of conversion and walking in the Spirit and mind of the new man as a born again believer?

The same thing they mean when one first accepts Christ.

6. Is true, genuine conversion and rebirth common or "rare" (6BC 1075) among people professing to be Christians? If not, why not?

The first part depends upon the definitions involved. The second part (the "why not") is because of unbelief.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does God wait until after we are born again to reveal to us certain sinful habits? If so, why? [Re: Tom] #85801
02/26/07 08:29 PM
02/26/07 08:29 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Tom, Are you stating that true christian conversion can never be spoken of in past tense but only ever in present tense? Should for instance Enoch walking with God be descibed as a 365 year old conversion experience?

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: Does God wait until after we are born again to reveal to us certain sinful habits? If so, why? [Re: vastergotland] #85803
02/26/07 09:49 PM
02/26/07 09:49 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Thomas:Tom, Are you stating that true christian conversion can never be spoken of in past tense but only ever in present tense?

No, I'm not saying this, which should be evident since I spoke of my own conversion.

Should for instance Enoch walking with God be descibed as a 365 year old conversion experience?

I'm reacting to MM's idea that God reveals to us all of our sinful habits before we are converted. Conversion, as he conceives of it, is sanctification. Sanctification is the process of a life time. I'm arguing against the idea that God keeps revealing sinful habits until there's no more left, and then we're "converted."

Re: Does God wait until after we are born again to reveal to us certain sinful habits? If so, why? [Re: DenBorg] #85808
02/27/07 12:46 AM
02/27/07 12:46 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
DB: One side assumes that by revealing and removing sin, they mean that one does it by his/her own power and excluding God out of the picture. One poster called it "self-righteous". This assumption is made despite the explicit commentary about accomplishing this by the power of God and His indwelling in us.

MM: Den, who is advocating this idea?

Re: Does God wait until after we are born again to reveal to us certain sinful habits? If so, why? [Re: Mountain Man] #85810
02/27/07 01:34 AM
02/27/07 01:34 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
MM: Thomas, again, it sounds like you agree with me, that is, that the Holy Spirit, through a revelation of the law and love of God, saves us from our sinful habits, saves us so that we can be like Jesus, so that we can mature in the fruits of the Spirit. The passages you quoted indicate you believe it.

TV: I believe that "the Holy Spirit, through a revelation of Jesus, saves us to a father-child relationship with God, saves us so that we can be like Jesus, so that we can mature in the fruits of the Spirit." (Note that someone who is mature in the fruits of the Spirit cannot at the same time be mature in the fruits of sin)

MM: The difference between my description and yours is you exclude the law and sinful habits. But it appears that both are implied because you qualify your description by adding being mature in the fruits of the Spirit means sinful habits do not exist. Or, did I misunderstand your addendum?

Thomas: The day we become aware of the Holy Spirits work on us. I dont know what you would say to this one if it is different than what I wrote.

MM: I agree, but I would also add that it includes confessing, in light of the cross, our sinful habits as the Holy Spirit reveals them to us. Just being aware of the fact the Holy Spirit has been working on us from birth isn’t enough. That’s true of everyone, that is, the Holy Spirit has been working on everyone since their birth.

Thomas: The day when we surrender at the foot of the cross and declare Jesus our Lord and Saviour. I suspect you would answere something like 'the day we no longer sin'.

MM: I agree with you, but I would hasten to add it also involves crucifying our old man habits of sin. “Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin. For he that is dead is freed from sin.” (Rom 6:6, 7) This is not the same thing as saying “the day we no longer sin”.

Paul explains how the old man dies and the new man replaces it. “That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts; and be renewed in the spirit of your mind; and that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.” (Eph 4:22-24)

Thomas: Rebirth happens when we, at the foot of the cross, believe Gods promise. I suspect that you again would say that this happens when we no longer sin, in other words, fullfill the law perfectly...

MM: I agree rebirth occurs when we complete the “patient, protracted process” of conversion. However, this is not the same things as saying “we no longer sin … fulfill the law perfectly.” There are conditions to the promise, “Go, and sin no more.” Not only must we 1) complete the process of conversion and 2) experience rebirth, we must also 3) abide in Jesus - daily, continually, moment by moment - in order to fulfill the command, “Go, and sin no more.” Again, the conditional promise is – “Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not.” (1 John 3:6)

Thomas: Not sure.

MM: Fair enough. It's a question I believe each person should seek diligently to answer.

Thomas: Considering that this verse stands in the context of the ressurection... And that with verses such as 22:For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive...

MM: Amen! Paul makes this point in Romans, too, in the context of crucifying our old man habits of sin. Thus, “I die daily” and “stay converted” mean, to me, that we choose moment by moment to abide in Jesus, the results of which are described above, namely, we are able to “go, and sin no more.” Which is also a conditional promise. The condition is – abide in Jesus. We cannot “go, and sin no more” if we are not abiding in Jesus.

Romans
6:3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
6:4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
6:5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also [in the likeness] of [his] resurrection:

Re: Does God wait until after we are born again to reveal to us certain sinful habits? If so, why? [Re: Mountain Man] #85811
02/27/07 02:09 AM
02/27/07 02:09 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: I'm reacting to MM's idea that God reveals to us all of our sinful habits before we are converted. Conversion, as he conceives of it, is sanctification. Sanctification is the process of a life time. I'm arguing against the idea that God keeps revealing sinful habits until there's no more left, and then we're "converted."

MM: Actually, Tom, I believe the processes of conversion and sanctification are two different processes. We embark upon the process of sanctification the moment we complete the process of conversion, the instant we are born again and begin abiding in Jesus.

Sanctification is what Jesus accomplishes in and through us on earth. It has nothing to do with sinning and repenting and forgiveness (justification accommodates these aspects of salvation).

Sanctification is the process of growing intellectually and maturing morally. We are born again sanctified and fully justified. We obtain justification by faith, and we maintain it through faith that works by love and purifies the soul. “Sanctification is the work of a lifetime.” (COL 65)

Although we are justified and sanctified the moment we are born again, the actual process of sanctification continues throughout eternity. While in heaven, we will continue to grow more and more like Christ. This “work of progression will not cease, but will continue throughout eternity.” (HP 186)

“'The law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.' Through obedience comes sanctification of body, soul, and spirit. This sanctification is a progressive work, and an advance from one stage of perfection to another." (ML 250) Not an advance from greater sins to lesser sins until we are from sin, which is what I perceive you believe. Please correct me if I have misunderstood you.

“Sanctification is a state of holiness, without and within, being holy and without reserve the Lord’s, not in form, but in truth. Every impurity of thought, every lustful passion, separates the soul from God; for Christ can never put His robe of righteousness upon a sinner, to hide his deformity. . . .

“There must be a progressive work of triumph over evil, of sympathy with good, a reflection of the character of Jesus. We must walk in the light, which will increase and grow brighter unto the perfect day. This is real, substantial growth, which will finally attain to the full stature of men and women in Jesus Christ." (OHC 214)

Sanctification is the process of becoming more and more mature, more and more like Jesus. As such, this process, which begins here, will go on forever. In fact, eternity isn’t long enough to exhaust our potential to become more Christlike. Again, this “work of progression will not cease, but will continue throughout eternity.” (HP 186) “Even the most perfect Christian may increase continually in the knowledge and love of God.” (ML 249)

Re: Does God wait until after we are born again to reveal to us certain sinful habits? If so, why? [Re: Mountain Man] #85812
02/27/07 03:29 AM
02/27/07 03:29 AM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
 Quote:
John, it sounds like you are soft on sin. The Bible reflects the fact that God is focused on saving us from our sinful habits. What is so evil about searching ourselves, seeking sinful habits that need crucifying?

Who is soft on sin?

Is it he who by faith now lives?
Or is it he who is looking for sinful habits?

Whatsoever is not of faith is sin. The biggest sinful habit is considering things apart from faith. From this proceed all other sins. He who is born of God is born of faith, and he lives by faith.

As I have said before that which is wrong in searching ourselves is that when we search ourselves, then we also make our own solutions; establishing self-righteousness. Searching ourselves is not of faith, but by the law; for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

• Rom 3:20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.
So to search ourselves then is to remain ignorant of God’s righteousness and establish self-righteousness.

• Rom 10:2 For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge.
    Rom 10:3 For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.
    Rom 10:4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.
Since God’s righteousness is by faith, then it stands that it is not of works; not of self-searching and self-crucifying. Oh yes, self does get crucified; not by self-searching, but by faith. It is the only way it ever is crucified.

Now your original question was whether God waits till after we are born again to reveal some sinful habits. My answer was that he never is in the business of revealing sinful habits as such; but rather he is in the business of revealing to us his glory.

Rom 3:23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

It is this that we lack; it is this that we need; it is the glory of God that sets us free from sin. God is in the business of giving us his glory. This we receive by faith. That which prevents us from receiving it is lack of faith. Faith is the breath of life of heaven.

The only way I can see coming clear to your question is for you to answer the questions I have asked, which you have not answered:

Have you seen and become a partaker of the glory of God?
Have you seen and become a partaker of all the glory of God?

Re: Does God wait until after we are born again to reveal to us certain sinful habits? If so, why? [Re: Mountain Man] #85813
02/27/07 03:30 AM
02/27/07 03:30 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM, what you consider "conversion" is what I (and I think almost all) Christians would consider "sanctification." That's the point I was making. I wasn't saying that you, in your mind, think they are the same.

Specifically, the idea that God reveals every sinful habit cultivated since birth to one before one is converted, has nothing to do with conversion as the term is commonly described and as the examples in Scripture, and the Spirit of Prophecy, show by example. Never is the description of one converted described in terms of "and now the Holy Spirit has finally revealed the last sinful habit, the 5,763rd one, which has been confessed, and conversion has ended."

Even you seem not to believe the God reveals every sinful habit before one can be converted, because you allow exceptions for smoking, polygamy, and drinking(?) (was Luther lost?; maybe I should anti-Antisemitism to the list).

A question that comes to mind is, how many sinful habits do you think one cultivates from birth?

Page 4 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 15 16

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/19/24 01:25 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/16/24 02:17 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by kland. 05/17/24 04:47 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!