HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,598
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (ProdigalOne, dedication, Kevin H, Karen Y, Daryl, 1 invisible), 3,212 guests, and 21 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: The righteousness and majesty of the Mosaic Law [Re: Tom] #85822
02/27/07 02:57 PM
02/27/07 02:57 PM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
Tom, conversion is character transformation. We are creatures of habit. When we consciously say "yes, You be in control" to the Holy Spirit there is a complete transformation of the motivating principle of our lives. In saying "yes" we are assenting to the principles of righteousness in the Holy Law of God.

A conversion that assents to any standard other than the Divine will as manifest in scripture, summarized in those ten holy Words is suspect at best. Our Evangelical brothers and sisters, many of them sincere, would like to make a disconnect between the law and grace as though one is at odds with the other. In doing that they present a skewed picture of the character of God, his mercy and his justice. The genius of Adventism, and we can take no credit for it ourselves, is in its return to the ancient truths of scripture on this subject that mercy and truth are met together in Christ and that the government of God, his character is founded firmly on eternal legal principles, the rule of Law; that the gospel teaches liberty from sin, not by means of destroying the law, but by writing those sacred principles on our hearts.

Anyone who demeans the law demeans the character of God and of his Son. My goal in starting this thread is to point to the Mosaic Law and the character of God as being eternally one and the same and to point to the beauty of that law which the supposed servants of God have for decades and centuries, often ignorantly, been derogating.

Re: The righteousness and majesty of the Mosaic Law [Re: Charity] #85824
02/27/07 03:11 PM
02/27/07 03:11 PM
C
Charity  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2020

4500+ Member
USA
Regarding the work of the law in 'converting the soul', in Psalm 19, David, Moses and the prophets understood the principles that Paul speaks of when he says that the 'letter kills' but the Spirit gives life. The law of the Spirit of life operates in the person through grace. The letter brings conviction but only when the individual responds by confession and repentance can the work of grace take place and the law be written on the heart.

This is the essence of the New Covenant isn't it - that in contrast to the Jews who said "All that the Lord has spoken we will do" but did not love or do the will of God, in the final generation there will be a people who may not make such a high profession but who will cherish the law in their hearts and who will immerse themselves in its principles.

Re: The righteousness and majesty of the Mosaic Law [Re: Charity] #85825
02/27/07 03:13 PM
02/27/07 03:13 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
This is the essence of the New Covenant isn't it - that in contrast to the Jews who said "All that the Lord has spoken we will do" but did not love or do the will of God, in the final generation there will be a people who may not make such a high profession but who will cherish the law in their hearts and who will immerse themselves in its principles.

I agree with this.

Mark, do you see that we are in disagreement somewhere?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The righteousness and majesty of the Mosaic Law [Re: Tom] #85828
02/27/07 04:11 PM
02/27/07 04:11 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
MM: Tom, the following is an extract from a quote you posted to explain what happened when you were converted:

Quote:
The light shining from the cross reveals the love of God. His love is drawing us to Himself. If we do not resist this drawing, we shall be led to the foot of the cross in repentance for the sins that have crucified the Saviour.

Then the Spirit of God through faith produces a new life in the soul. The thoughts and desires are brought into obedience to the will of Christ. The heart, the mind, are created anew in the image of Him who works in us to subdue all things to Himself.

Then the law of God is written in the mind and heart, and we can say with Christ, "I delight to do Thy will, O my God." Ps. 40:8. (DA 176)

MM: How can you quote this passage to explain what happened when you were converted and then insist - "I know when I was converted, I didn't even know what the Ten Commandments were." Again, here is what she says happens when someone is converted:

1. “If we do not resist this drawing, we shall be led to the foot of the cross in repentance for the sins that have crucified the Saviour.” Again, this is not how you described your conversion. You make it clear you did not repent. You knew nothing of the law so you could not repent.

2. “The thoughts and desires are brought into obedience to the will of Christ.” Neither does this describe your conversion. You knew nothing of the law, therefore, you knew nothing of obedience or the will of Christ.

3. “Then the law of God is written in the mind and heart, and we can say with Christ, ‘I delight to do Thy will, O my God.’ Ps. 40:8.” Again, this does not describe your conversion. You could not say with Christ, “I delight to do Thy will, O my God”, because you knew nothing of God’s will or His law.

Again, Tom, in light of the quote you posted, I do not see how you can say it describes what happened when you were converted. Jesus taught, “Repent ye, and believe the gospel.” And Peter proclaimed, “Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out.” And yet you would have us believe you experienced conversion without repenting of your sins. You are contradicting Jesus Himself.

TE: My experience is by no means unique, MM. Your comments make me curious as if you understand what conversion is really about. It's not about sinful habits. It's about Christ.

MM: Again, in light of the quote you posted, in light of what Jesus and Peter said about it, how can you insist repenting is not necessary before we are converted, before we believe and receive the gospel?

………………………….

MM: Paul confessed, "For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died." He is saying that he was dead in sin before he understood the law of God. Paul did not experience true, genuine conversion and rebirth until after he understood the law of God.

TV: How differently two people can read the same passage. I understand Paul to be saying that "he died in sin as he understood the law of God."

TE: Paul says "when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died." You write Paul says he was dead in sin before he understood the law of God. These seem like opposites.

MM: Do you two really believe Paul was “alive” in sin before he had a saving knowledge of the law? Paul described it this way, “But she that liveth in pleasure is dead while she liveth.” (1 Tim 5:6) Indeed, Paul was not alive in sin. He was dead in sin and trespasses before he had a saving knowledge of the law.

Ephesians
2:1 And you … were dead in trespasses and sins …
2:5 Even when we were dead in sins …

Colossians
2:13 And you, being dead in your sins …

Re: The righteousness and majesty of the Mosaic Law [Re: Mountain Man] #85838
02/27/07 09:28 PM
02/27/07 09:28 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Again, Tom, in light of the quote you posted, I do not see how you can say it describes what happened when you were converted. Jesus taught, “Repent ye, and believe the gospel.” And Peter proclaimed, “Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out.” And yet you would have us believe you experienced conversion without repenting of your sins.

I didn't say this.

You are contradicting Jesus Himself.

No I'm not. I quoted Sister White, and said that described my experience. If you're disagreeing with something I wrote, you need to quote it.

TE: My experience is by no means unique, MM. Your comments make me curious as if you understand what conversion is really about. It's not about sinful habits. It's about Christ.

MM: Again, in light of the quote you posted, in light of what Jesus and Peter said about it, how can you insist repenting is not necessary before we are converted, before we believe and receive the gospel?

No.

………………………….

MM: Paul confessed, "For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died." He is saying that he was dead in sin before he understood the law of God. Paul did not experience true, genuine conversion and rebirth until after he understood the law of God.

TV: How differently two people can read the same passage. I understand Paul to be saying that "he died in sin as he understood the law of God."

TE: Paul says "when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died." You write Paul says he was dead in sin before he understood the law of God. These seem like opposites.

MM: Do you two really believe Paul was “alive” in sin before he had a saving knowledge of the law?

Paul was convicted of his need for Christ because he realized he was unable to keep the law. That's what he's saying. This conviction of his inability to provide the righteousness the law requires was death to him. That's why he says he died. What EV wrote is right. He "died" as he understood the law of God.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: The righteousness and majesty of the Mosaic Law [Re: Mountain Man] #85843
02/27/07 11:25 PM
02/27/07 11:25 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
 Originally Posted By: Mountain Man

MM: Do you two really believe Paul was “alive” in sin before he had a saving knowledge of the law? Paul described it this way, “But she that liveth in pleasure is dead while she liveth.” (1 Tim 5:6) Indeed, Paul was not alive in sin. He was dead in sin and trespasses before he had a saving knowledge of the law.
A saving knowledge of the law? In all the reading of Pauls letters that I have done, this is one aspect of the law I havent found mentioned yet. Could you tell me where to find it? In the context I have found, Paul does not qualify what kind of knowledge of the law he is refering to, merely that: Howbeit, I had not known sin, except through the law: for I had not known coveting, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet: but sin, finding occasion, wrought in me through the commandment all manner of coveting: for apart from the law sin is dead. And I was alive apart from the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died; and the commandment, which was unto life, this I found to be unto death: for sin, finding occasion, through the commandment beguiled me, and through it slew me.
 Quote:

Ephesians
2:1 And you … were dead in trespasses and sins …
2:5 Even when we were dead in sins …

Colossians
2:13 And you, being dead in your sins …

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: The righteousness and majesty of the Mosaic Law [Re: Charity] #85844
02/27/07 11:27 PM
02/27/07 11:27 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
 Originally Posted By: Mark Shipowick

A conversion that assents to any standard other than the Divine will as manifest in scripture, summarized in those ten holy Words is suspect at best. Our Evangelical brothers and sisters, many of them sincere, would like to make a disconnect between the law and grace as though one is at odds with the other. In doing that they present a skewed picture of the character of God, his mercy and his justice. The genius of Adventism, and we can take no credit for it ourselves, is in its return to the ancient truths of scripture on this subject that mercy and truth are met together in Christ and that the government of God, his character is founded firmly on eternal legal principles, the rule of Law; that the gospel teaches liberty from sin, not by means of destroying the law, but by writing those sacred principles on our hearts.
It migth be that the truth of both mercy and Truth joining in the person Jesus Christ is the genious of theoretical adventism. In the adventism one is likely to encounter however, either one of those is likly to be treated as Cindirella, the stepchild who must sneak out to be able to go to the ball.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: The righteousness and majesty of the Mosaic Law [Re: vastergotland] #85853
02/28/07 12:54 AM
02/28/07 12:54 AM
J
John Boskovic  Offline
Dedicated Member
Ontario
 Originally Posted By: Mark Shipowick

The genius of Adventism, and we can take no credit for it ourselves, is in its return to the ancient truths of scripture on this subject that mercy and truth are met together in Christ and that the government of God, his character is founded firmly on eternal legal principles, the rule of Law; that the gospel teaches liberty from sin, not by means of destroying the law, but by writing those sacred principles on our hearts.

What does mercy and truth have to do with legal principles and rule of law?

The gospel does not destroy the law, but it destroys the legal principles which are by nature devoid of mercy.

Re: The righteousness and majesty of the Mosaic Law [Re: John Boskovic] #85854
02/28/07 03:08 AM
02/28/07 03:08 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
John, say some more about "legal principles" please.

Re: The righteousness and majesty of the Mosaic Law [Re: Tom] #85859
02/28/07 04:09 PM
02/28/07 04:09 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:
MM: How can you quote this passage to explain what happened when you were converted and then insist - "I know when I was converted, I didn't even know what the Ten Commandments were." Again, here is what she says happens when someone is converted:

1. “If we do not resist this drawing, we shall be led to the foot of the cross in repentance for the sins that have crucified the Saviour.” Again, this is not how you described your conversion. You make it clear you did not repent. You knew nothing of the law so you could not repent.

2. “The thoughts and desires are brought into obedience to the will of Christ.” Neither does this describe your conversion. You knew nothing of the law, therefore, you knew nothing of obedience or the will of Christ.

3. “Then the law of God is written in the mind and heart, and we can say with Christ, ‘I delight to do Thy will, O my God.’ Ps. 40:8.” Again, this does not describe your conversion. You could not say with Christ, “I delight to do Thy will, O my God”, because you knew nothing of God’s will or His law.

MM: Again, Tom, in light of the quote you posted, I do not see how you can say it describes what happened when you were converted. Jesus taught, “Repent ye, and believe the gospel.” And Peter proclaimed, “Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out.” And yet you would have us believe you experienced conversion without repenting of your sins. You are contradicting Jesus Himself.

TE: I didn't say this.

MM: Then what did you mean when you said - "I know when I was converted, I didn't even know what the Ten Commandments were." How did you know what sin was if you didn’t even know what the Ten Commandments were? That's what Paul would want to know, right? How can you repent without knowledge of sin? Jesus told His disciples how to help others experience conversion and rebirth.

He said, “Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world.” Is this what happened when you were converted? Were you taught to observe “all things” Jesus commanded?

………………………………..

MM: You are contradicting Jesus Himself.

TE: No I'm not. I quoted Sister White, and said that described my experience.

MM: But your description does not coincide with Sister White’s description. Please read the quoted section above. It plainly shows how your description is different. And it certainly does not coincide with what Jesus said about it.

TE: If you're disagreeing with something I wrote, you need to quote it.

MM: I did. Here is what I quoted - "I know when I was converted, I didn't even know what the Ten Commandments were." This is the fourth time I’ve quoted it.

………………………………

Quote:

TE: No.

MM: Then what are you saying? What is the truth about repentance and observing “all things” Jesus commanded us to observe as it relates to the gospel and conversion?

………………………………..

Quote:

TE: Paul was convicted of his need for Christ because he realized he was unable to keep the law. That's what he's saying. This conviction of his inability to provide the righteousness the law requires was death to him. That's why he says he died. What EV wrote is right. He "died" as he understood the law of God.

MM: Tom, in response to my post you said, “You write Paul says he was dead in sin before he understood the law of God. These seem like opposites.” Do you think Paul was “alive in sin” before he acquired a saving knowledge of the law? What do you think is "opposites”?

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/28/24 02:30 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!