HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,632
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 20
kland 5
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication), 3,496 guests, and 12 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 15 of 16 1 2 13 14 15 16
Re: Does God wait until after we are born again to reveal to us certain sinful habits? If so, why? [Re: vastergotland] #86431
03/14/07 08:54 PM
03/14/07 08:54 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
You couldn't get drunk by drinking the beer of his day?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does God wait until after we are born again to reveal to us certain sinful habits? If so, why? [Re: Tom] #86432
03/14/07 08:57 PM
03/14/07 08:57 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Here's something from Luther:

Quote:
God does not forbid you to drink, as do the Turks; he permits you to drink wine and beer: he does not make a law of it. But do not make a pig of yourself; remain a human being. If you are a human being, then keep your human self-control. Even though we do not have a command of God, we should nevertheless be ashamed that we are thus spit upon by other peoples. If you want to be a Christian, do not argue in this way: Nobody reproaches me, therefore God does not reproach me. So it has been from the time of Noah. And so it was with the Sodomites, who wanted to rape the angels; they were all so drunk they could not find the door. Sodom and Gomorrah perished because of a flood of drunkenness; this vice was punished. God does not tolerate such confusion and inordinate use of his creatures [i.e., food and drink]. (Sermon on Soberness and Moderation against Gluttony and Drunkenness, 1 Peter 4:7-11, May 18, 1539)

From correspondence between Luther and his wife, it is apparent that Luther had a wine cellar.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does God wait until after we are born again to reveal to us certain sinful habits? If so, why? [Re: Tom] #86433
03/14/07 09:01 PM
03/14/07 09:01 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
You could get drunk on it, if you keept on drinking a lot. As I heard it, 3 or 4 cans of todays sizes wouldnt get you intoxicated on that brew... But maybe 3 or four 4 gallons would...

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: Does God wait until after we are born again to reveal to us certain sinful habits? If so, why? [Re: vastergotland] #86434
03/14/07 09:20 PM
03/14/07 09:20 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Interesting. Well, there's the wine also. You could probably get drunk on that. Luther mentions the importance of self-control, so that implies you could get drunk.

Re: Does God wait until after we are born again to reveal to us certain sinful habits? If so, why? [Re: Tom] #86435
03/14/07 10:34 PM
03/14/07 10:34 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
When looking for the history of this at wikipedia, I saw a reference to Proverbs 31:6-7. If the SS-study ever gets that far before new topic in April, that will promise to be one interesting passage to debate.

-----
And another point I was trying to make earlier is also quoted here: here:

"In places and eras with poor public sanitation, such as Medieval Europe, consumption of alcoholic drinks (particularly weak or "small" beer) was one method of avoiding water-borne diseases such as cholera. "

Last edited by västergötland; 03/14/07 10:44 PM.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: Does God wait until after we are born again to reveal to us certain sinful habits? If so, why? [Re: vastergotland] #86437
03/14/07 10:55 PM
03/14/07 10:55 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
For those who don't have Proverbs 31:6, 7 memorized:

Quote:
Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine unto those that be of heavy hearts.

Let him drink, and forget his poverty, and remember his misery no more.

Re: Does God wait until after we are born again to reveal to us certain sinful habits? If so, why? [Re: vastergotland] #86462
03/15/07 04:25 PM
03/15/07 04:25 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: No. I'm saying what I said. Anyone who knows Christ has passed from darkness to light. This is Biblical.

MM: Even if they are ignorant of the truths that can set them free from their sinful habits?

TE: “That the Holy Spirit will occupy a divided throne?” The throne isn't divided; the person has invited Christ to sit upon it. (remember, he accepted Christ as His personal Savior.)

MM: Are you saying Jesus will occupy the throne of their heart before it is cleansed of sinful habits?

TE: “No one can complete the process of converting from not knowing everything Jesus commanded to obeying everything He commanded before they learn how to obey everything He commanded. Do you agree?” I believe a person is converted, as I've said very many times now, when (s)he accepts Christ.

MM: Okay, so you believe they accept Jesus irrespective of the truths that can set them free of their sinful habits.

TE: Conversion does not have to do with being translated alive. You're the only one I've ever met that has this idea. Conversion has to do with being right with God, being justified, being saved.

MM: But you believe “being right with God” has nothing to do with obeying everything Jesus commanded.

TE: The publican was not justified? nor converted? MM, justification by faith and pardon are one and the same. When the publican asked for pardon, he received it, as did David, which Paul points out in Romans 4. Do you believe he wasn't forgiven?

MM: Again, the publican embarked upon the process of conversion, he did not complete it on the day he prayed at the temple. He was saved in the sense he was living up to the light he believed is right and true. So was David.

TE: The people at Pentecost weren't aware of everything Jesus taught. How could they have been? There were many Gentiles there. Acts demonstrates that the "many things" had yet to be determined. The were converted as a result of believing Peter's preaching, which is recorded in Acts. It was the Gospel of Christ crucified that led to their being converted.

MM: Here is what Sister White wrote about it: “During His life on this earth He had sown the seed of truth and had watered it with His blood. The conversions that took place on the Day of Pentecost were the result of this sowing, the harvest of Christ's work, revealing the power of His teaching.” (AA 44)

TE: No, you stated before that "saved" was not "born again." "Born again" you said was equivalent to "converted," and has to do with knowing the 28 fundamenal beliefs. "Saved" just has to do with living up to the light you have. So an non-SDA can be saved, but not converted. This is what you said. I can produce your statements if you wish.

MM: Born again believers are “saved” so long as they are abiding in Jesus, so long as they are obeying everything Jesus commanded. People who have not completed the process of converting are “saved” so long as they are living up the light they believe is right and true.

TE: “Luther did not complete the process of converting to obeying everything Jesus commanded. Do you agree?” I believe Luther was converted, saved, born again, and justified by faith, all of which are describing the same thing.

MM: You didn’t answer the question.

TE: “Your answer to the title of this thread is – Yes, God does wait until after people are born again to reveal to them certain of their sinful habits. And the reason He waits is because they are unwilling to receive the truths that would require them to confess and forsake certain of their sinful habits.” I wouldn't say that's not necessarily the reason. Why did Luther remain a beer drinker?

MM: Tom, this is what you posted about it: “God reveals the truth as fast as we are willing and able to receive it. God does not keep people in the dark, but people keep themselves in the dard by not receving truth. Please let's not blame God!” [86300] What do you mean?

TE: “Living up to all the light people believe is right and true is not always the same thing as learning how to obey everything Jesus commanded. Do you agree?” You are asking if not everyone has light on everything Christ taught? Yes, I agree with that. I also agree it's good to live up to the light you have.

TE: “Are you saying people we were living in harmony with the mission and message of the Remnant church during the Dark Ages, before Jesus raised up the SDA church to restore and repair the truths that were all but lost during the Dark Ages?” I'm quoting your position. You are saying that one needs to know the 28 fundamental beliefs in order to be converted.

MM: But what people who lived during the Dark Ages? Were they living in harmony with everything Jesus commanded?

TE: “Are you saying we totally agree on what it means to mature in the fruits of the Spirit after people are born again?” Since we disagree as to what it means to be converted, and as to what the important issues are, I doubt we agree on what this means. But I agree that when one is born again, one begins to mature in the fruits of the Spirit.

MM: Here is what Paul wrote about people maturing in the fruits of the Spirit. “They that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.” But you are saying it doesn’t matter if they have crucified their sinful habits.

TE: I'm saying what I wrote, but my words mean something different to me than they do to you. I won't repeat what you believe the words mean, because you already know, and I know what you mean by them. So I'll just clarify what they mean to me. They mean to be like Christ in character. They have begun a walk with Him. Like the new Christians in Acts, that people looked at, and mocked as "Christians," because they were followers of Christ.

MM: But you believe people are like Jesus irrespective of their sinful habits, that it doesn’t matter if they are obeying everything He commanded.

TE: “Are you saying non-SDAs are living in harmony with everything Jesus commanded?” Moses was a non-SDA. Luther was a non-SDA. Peter was a non-SDA. William Miller was a non-SDA. Abraham was a non-SDA. To obey everything that God commands involves present truth. The light of one day is not the same as the light in another, and even in one day it's not always the case that everyone has equal access to that light.

MM: So, are you saying non-SDAs do not live in harmony with everything Jesus commanded?

Re: Does God wait until after we are born again to reveal to us certain sinful habits? If so, why? [Re: vastergotland] #86464
03/15/07 04:33 PM
03/15/07 04:33 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TV: What is counterfeit religion? Uhm, a religion that has the apparence or the appeal of the true religion, without having Christ as its foundation. That could be anything from the Wicca coven to the Buddhist stupa to a Muslim mosque to probably include one or another SDA church where much form of godliness is to be found but none of its power.

MM: I can see why you would lump certain SDA churches with Wicca. If what you believe is true, it makes perfect sense.

Re: Does God wait until after we are born again to reveal to us certain sinful habits? If so, why? [Re: Mountain Man] #86468
03/15/07 06:22 PM
03/15/07 06:22 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
TE: No. I'm saying what I said. Anyone who knows Christ has passed from darkness to light. This is Biblical.

MM: Even if they are ignorant of the truths that can set them free from their sinful habits?

Jesus Christ is the truth who sets us free from our sinful habits. The Holy Spirit presents Christ to the prospective believer. When Christ is accepted, the power over sin is broken.

TE: “That the Holy Spirit will occupy a divided throne?” The throne isn't divided; the person has invited Christ to sit upon it. (remember, he accepted Christ as His personal Savior.)

MM: Are you saying Jesus will occupy the throne of their heart before it is cleansed of sinful habits?

"The throne isn't divided; the person has invited Christ to sit upon it." I believe this clearly answers your question. Any sin which would prevent Christ from sitting on the throne is revealed. These are what Waggoner refers to as the "representative sins" of our lives.

TE: “No one can complete the process of converting from not knowing everything Jesus commanded to obeying everything He commanded before they learn how to obey everything He commanded. Do you agree?” I believe a person is converted, as I've said very many times now, when (s)he accepts Christ.

MM: Okay, so you believe they accept Jesus irrespective of the truths that can set them free of their sinful habits.

Jesus Christ sets them free from their sinful habits. When the accept Him, they have the victory which overcomes the world.

TE: Conversion does not have to do with being translated alive. You're the only one I've ever met that has this idea. Conversion has to do with being right with God, being justified, being saved.

MM: But you believe “being right with God” has nothing to do with obeying everything Jesus commanded.

Try rephrasing this please. "Nothing do to with obeying everything" is a bit confusing.

TE: The publican was not justified? nor converted? MM, justification by faith and pardon are one and the same. When the publican asked for pardon, he received it, as did David, which Paul points out in Romans 4. Do you believe he wasn't forgiven?

MM: Again, the publican embarked upon the process of conversion, he did not complete it on the day he prayed at the temple. He was saved in the sense he was living up to the light he believed is right and true. So was David.

Saved but not converted?

TE: The people at Pentecost weren't aware of everything Jesus taught. How could they have been? There were many Gentiles there. Acts demonstrates that the "many things" had yet to be determined. The were converted as a result of believing Peter's preaching, which is recorded in Acts. It was the Gospel of Christ crucified that led to their being converted.

MM: Here is what Sister White wrote about it: “During His life on this earth He had sown the seed of truth and had watered it with His blood. The conversions that took place on the Day of Pentecost were the result of this sowing, the harvest of Christ's work, revealing the power of His teaching.” (AA 44)

Sure. The Apostles taught what they learned of Christ. They presented Christ crucified, and through the Holy Spirit many souls were convicted and converted. But remember that these were largely Gentiles, who had no acquaintance with the "all things" you are talking about. These would have been explained to them after they were converted, and as I explained previously, these "all things" weren't even agreed to for some time.

TE: No, you stated before that "saved" was not "born again." "Born again" you said was equivalent to "converted," and has to do with knowing the 28 fundamenal beliefs. "Saved" just has to do with living up to the light you have. So an non-SDA can be saved, but not converted. This is what you said. I can produce your statements if you wish.

MM: Born again believers are “saved” so long as they are abiding in Jesus, so long as they are obeying everything Jesus commanded. People who have not completed the process of converting are “saved” so long as they are living up the light they believe is right and true.

This is what you were saying before. But as I pointed out before, Ellen White says that being born again is a condition to being saved. So your distinction here is faulty. You can't be saved without being born again. In other words, all who are saved have been born again.

TE: “Luther did not complete the process of converting to obeying everything Jesus commanded. Do you agree?” I believe Luther was converted, saved, born again, and justified by faith, all of which are describing the same thing.

MM: You didn’t answer the question.

"Luther was converted." How does that not answer the question?

TE: “Your answer to the title of this thread is – Yes, God does wait until after people are born again to reveal to them certain of their sinful habits. And the reason He waits is because they are unwilling to receive the truths that would require them to confess and forsake certain of their sinful habits.” I wouldn't say that's not necessarily the reason. Why did Luther remain a beer drinker?

MM: Tom, this is what you posted about it: “God reveals the truth as fast as we are willing and able to receive it. God does not keep people in the dark, but people keep themselves in the dard by not receving truth. Please let's not blame God!” [86300] What do you mean?

TE: “Living up to all the light people believe is right and true is not always the same thing as learning how to obey everything Jesus commanded. Do you agree?” You are asking if not everyone has light on everything Christ taught? Yes, I agree with that. I also agree it's good to live up to the light you have.

TE: “Are you saying people we were living in harmony with the mission and message of the Remnant church during the Dark Ages, before Jesus raised up the SDA church to restore and repair the truths that were all but lost during the Dark Ages?” I'm quoting your position. You are saying that one needs to know the 28 fundamental beliefs in order to be converted.

MM: But what people who lived during the Dark Ages? Were they living in harmony with everything Jesus commanded?

TE: “Are you saying we totally agree on what it means to mature in the fruits of the Spirit after people are born again?” Since we disagree as to what it means to be converted, and as to what the important issues are, I doubt we agree on what this means. But I agree that when one is born again, one begins to mature in the fruits of the Spirit.

MM: Here is what Paul wrote about people maturing in the fruits of the Spirit. “They that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.” But you are saying it doesn’t matter if they have crucified their sinful habits.

TE: I'm saying what I wrote, but my words mean something different to me than they do to you. I won't repeat what you believe the words mean, because you already know, and I know what you mean by them. So I'll just clarify what they mean to me. They mean to be like Christ in character. They have begun a walk with Him. Like the new Christians in Acts, that people looked at, and mocked as "Christians," because they were followers of Christ.

MM: But you believe people are like Jesus irrespective of their sinful habits, that it doesn’t matter if they are obeying everything He commanded.

TE: “Are you saying non-SDAs are living in harmony with everything Jesus commanded?” Moses was a non-SDA. Luther was a non-SDA. Peter was a non-SDA. William Miller was a non-SDA. Abraham was a non-SDA. To obey everything that God commands involves present truth. The light of one day is not the same as the light in another, and even in one day it's not always the case that everyone has equal access to that light.

MM: So, are you saying non-SDAs do not live in harmony with everything Jesus commanded?

This is really confusing. I don't know where your questions or comments for this current post are or which are from previous posts. Do you disagree with anything I wrote in the previous paragraph? (starting with "TE:" just above). People are not judged according to light that they do not have. You have a wonderful way of phrasing things in a "have you quit beating your wife" kind of way. I can't answer your question "yes" or "no," because doing so would be an acceptance of your premise,(your definition of what living in harmony with everything Jesus commanded means). I reject your premise. One does not have to be an SDA to be converted. One does not have to be born after 1844 to be converted.

I would say that anyone who responds to all the light they have been given (without purposely avoiding any opportunities to avoid light) is living in harmony with what Jesus commanded. Being in harmony with God encompasses this. How could it not? How can one be in harmony with God, and not be in harmony with His law, which is a transcript of His character?

Re: Does God wait until after we are born again to reveal to us certain sinful habits? If so, why? [Re: Mountain Man] #86469
03/15/07 06:23 PM
03/15/07 06:23 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Mike

Im sure there are certain SDA churches which would just as easily be lumped with 1st century pharisee religion. On the same grounds as mentioned in the passage you quoted.

Galatians 2

Page 15 of 16 1 2 13 14 15 16

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/15/24 09:27 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!