HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,649
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 17
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, TheophilusOne, 1 invisible), 2,423 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 16 17
Re: A Bible Study on Vegetarianism [Re: crater] #86572
03/18/07 06:33 AM
03/18/07 06:33 AM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
Hi Crater,
You can find this in Daniel 10. I was not aware of this, and was surprised to find that, so I take it as it reads:
 Quote:

Daniel 10:2-3
2In those days I Daniel was mourning three full weeks.

3I ate no pleasant bread, neither came flesh nor wine in my mouth, neither did I anoint myself at all, till three whole weeks were fulfilled.

God Bless,
Will

Re: A Bible Study on Vegetarianism [Re: Will] #86573
03/18/07 08:15 AM
03/18/07 08:15 AM
C
crater  Offline
Veteran Member
United States
Thanks Will,

The text is an intersting one.

I don't have a SDA Commentary.
The ones on line that I checked didn't have much to say of the text. A couple inticated it meant a time of fasting.

I did find in Prophets and Kings that "at the very outset of their career there came to them a decisive test of character".

Latter refering to about the period of Daniel 10: 2-3 Ellens says that "The same characteristics marked his afterlife". It seems odd that he would change his life style at old age.

Quote:
Prophets and Kings: At the very outset of their career there came to them a decisive test of character. It was provided that they should eat of the food and drink of the wine that came from the king's table. In this the king thought to give them an expression of his favor and of his solicitude for their welfare. But a portion having been offered to idols, the food from the king's table was consecrated to idolatry; and one partaking of it would be regarded as offering homage to the gods of Babylon. In such homage, loyalty to Jehovah forbade Daniel and his companions to join. Even a mere pretense of eating the food or drinking the wine would be a denial of their faith. To do this would be to array themselves with heathenism and to dishonor the principles of the law of God.

Page 482

Nor dared they risk the enervating effect of luxury and dissipation on physical, mental, and spiritual development. They were acquainted with the history of Nadab and Abihu, the record of whose intemperance and its results had been preserved in the parchments of the Pentateuch; and they knew that their own physical and mental power would be injuriously affected by the use of wine.

Daniel and his associates had been trained by their parents to habits of strict temperance. They had been taught that God would hold them accountable for their capabilities, and that they must never dwarf or enfeeble their powers. This education was to Daniel and his companions the means of their preservation amidst the demoralizing influences of the court of Babylon. Strong were the temptations surrounding them in that corrupt and luxurious court, but they remained uncontaminated. No power, no influence, could sway them from the principles they had learned in early life by a study of the word and works of God.

Had Daniel so desired, he might have found in his surroundings a plausible excuse for departing from strictly temperate habits. He might have argued that, dependent as he was on the king's favor and subject to his power, there was no other course for him to pursue than to eat of the king's food and drink of his wine; for should he adhere to the divine teaching, he would offend the king and probably lose his position and his life. Should he disregard the commandment of the Lord he would retain the favor of the king and secure for himself intellectual advantages and flattering worldly prospects.

Page 483

But Daniel did not hesitate. The approval of God was dearer to him than the favor of the most powerful earthly potentate--dearer than life itself. He determined to stand firm in his integrity, let the result be what it might. He "purposed in his heart that he would not defile himself with the portion of the king's meat, nor with the wine which he drank." And in this resolve he was supported by his three companions.

In reaching this decision, the Hebrew youth did not act presumptuously but in firm reliance upon God. They did not choose to be singular, but they would be so rather than dishonor God. Should they compromise with wrong in this instance by yielding to the pressure of circumstances, their departure from principle would weaken their sense of right and their abhorrence of wrong. The first wrong step would lead to others, until, their connection with Heaven severed, they would be swept away by temptation. unyielding in his mastery of self

Page 546

Strict compliance with the requirements of Heaven brings temporal as well as spiritual blessings. Unwavering in his allegiance to God, unyielding in his mastery of self, Daniel, by his noble dignity and unswerving integrity, while yet a young man, won the "favor and tender love" of the heathen officer in whose charge he had been placed. Daniel 1:9. The same characteristics marked his afterlife. He rose speedily to the position of prime minister of the kingdom of Babylon. Through the reign of successive monarchs, the downfall of the nation, and the establishment of another world empire, such were his wisdom and statesmanship, so perfect his tact, his courtesy, his genuine goodness of heart, his fidelity to principle, that even his enemies were forced to the confession that "they could find none occasion nor fault; forasmuch as he was faithful."

Last edited by crater; 03/18/07 08:16 AM.
Re: A Bible Study on Vegetarianism [Re: crater] #86574
03/18/07 08:25 AM
03/18/07 08:25 AM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
I think he fasted as well. There was a time of mourning that occurred as mentioned in verse 2, and the result was that he fasted from eating pleasant bread,flesh meat and drinking wine for 3 weeks.
He wasn't a glutton by any means, he abstained from eating meat and drinking wine for 3 weeks, and this tells me he did so prior to his fast, and he would return to eating pleasant bread, flesh meat, and drinking wine after his fast.
God Bless,
Will

Last edited by Will; 03/18/07 08:26 AM. Reason: grammar check.
Re: A Bible Study on Vegetarianism [Re: Redfog] #86575
03/18/07 09:51 AM
03/18/07 09:51 AM
Tammy Roesch  Offline
North East OHIO
 Originally Posted By: Redfog
So is every unhealthy activity a sin?

Good Morning, Redfrog,
I think your question is excellent! Yes, I believe if we KNOW that something is unhealthy, and if we continue to do it, that we are sinning. Makes me think of this Bible verse:

Quote:
Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin. James 4:17

Surely, if we are sinning because we don't do so something that we know we should do, the opposite must be true also when we do do things we know are wrong to do.

Christ is waiting with longing desire for the manifestation of Himself in His church. When the character of Christ shall be perfectly reproduced in His people, then He will come to claim them as His own. {COL 69}

Re: A Bible Study on Vegetarianism [Re: gordonb1] #86576
03/18/07 09:53 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
 Originally Posted By: gordonb1
As Thomas indicates above, sin is not believing in God, not trusting Him to save us from our depraved appetites. (The lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life - 1 John 2:16) Ellen White makes the distinction that both physical and moral decay result from flesh eating. Many of us are ready to doubt this advice and throw contempt upon the prophet of God's own choosing. Ellen White is dead and unaffected by the ridicule, but Jehovah registers every slight made against the messengers of His appointment. We are all responsible for our influence. I write this not for those who desire a battle, but for some who may be unsure of God's instruction for these last days.

"Wherefore if meat make my brother to offend, I will eat no flesh while the world standeth, lest I make my brother to offend." 1 Corinthians 8:13.

Gordon
Gordon, not trying to throw contempt on Ellen, only noticing that as it often is, those who claim to be her best friends in reality end up making her look bad. People quote a little here, a little there, and wonder why others take issue with it, when they could quote the whole thing and many would be content with it.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: A Bible Study on Vegetarianism [Re: Cheri Fritz] #86577
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
 Originally Posted By: Cheri Fritz
Greetings,

This evening, I am not sure what to say to some of you..., except that I presented the Bible Study according to the scriptures that I know. And my heart aches when so many call themselves Adventists and do not accept our prophet's testimony for what the Lord wants.
Cheri, what can I say. You presented some texts that you know, and others presented some texts that they know. As I see it, the only testimony that has been clearly rejected this far in this thread is yours. So are you the prophet mentioned above?
 Quote:

The joy of the Lord is for us as a people to be prepared to live in heaven today. To be examples of the believer.

With regards to comparing the Passover lamb and lusting...My heart sinks yet more:(.
Well, with regards to equating lusting with meat eating...
The thread is after all called "a bible study on vegetarianism", and the topic has been on eating of meat, even though you at times have thinly veiled it under true sinns, such as coveting. If coveting is what you truly were refering to in that post, then I admit comparing it to the passover lamb was wrong. But then you must admit that it is equally sinfull to covet carrots or apples or peas as it is to covet birds as did Israel in the desert. If you do not admit this, then your point is just what it looked like, an argument not against coveting as such but as against coveting meat specifically. And then comparing it with the passover lamb is quite justified, IMHO.
 Quote:

"So is every unhealthy activity a sin?" All that I can say is that God teaches us to know as His people what is right and what is wrong. That in order for us to know right from wrong, we have to study, pray and ask for the Holy Spirit to teach us all truth, and this must be done with a contrite heart. For the heart that is unwilling to be broken on the Rock, just will not be broken. It must not be me calling sin sin, it will have to be us opening up our Bibles and search, search, comparing and searching and praying for the Holy Spirit to convict your heart. What is conviction? It is being planted in the foundation of Christ and that Rock cannot be moved.

This I do believe, that God provided people food in the wilderness and while they were without understanding of His commands, He provided their request. But afterward when they learned what God wanted them to do and how to live; so when they asked for flesh with education our Lord called it lust. Whether or not you choose to believe what happened in the recorded Holy Scriptures, you will have to pray, study and ask for the Holy Spirit.

Please understand I am not seeking for you to change your minds, but I was asked to share and I did.

The purpose of this study was share, and for each of you to pray, study and ask for the Holy Spirit.

With Christian Love,
Your Sister in Christ Jesus,
Cheri

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: A Bible Study on Vegetarianism [Re: crater] #86578
03/18/07 09:54 AM
03/18/07 09:54 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
 Originally Posted By: crater
Will, I don't recall reading any where that Daniel ate flesh or drank wine. Could you give a text for your statement?

Quote:
Daniel 1:8 (King James Version)

8But Daniel purposed in his heart that he would not defile himself with the portion of the king's meat, nor with the wine which he drank: therefore he requested of the prince of the eunuchs that he might not defile himself.

Daniel 1:12 (King James Version)

12Prove thy servants, I beseech thee, ten days; and let them give us pulse to eat, and water to drink.
In chapter 10, we are told of Daniel having great sorrow and therefore having a fast. It reads:

Dan 10:2 In those days I Daniel was mourning three full weeks.
Dan 10:3 I ate no pleasant bread, neither came flesh nor wine in my mouth, neither did I anoint myself at all, till three whole weeks were fulfilled.

It would seem that Daniel could not fast through not eating flesh or drinking wine for these three weeks if his custom since his early youth was to not eat these things.

Galatians 2

Re: A Bible Study on Vegetarianism [Re: Will] #86579
03/18/07 09:57 AM
03/18/07 09:57 AM
Cheri Fritz  Offline OP
Gloversville, NY, USA
Greetings Will,

Considering that Daniel was a man of God's principles, and of reading this verse, I can in no wise consider that Daniel was eating animal flesh prior to this, as it does not even allude to that.

But what I do see is that this is yet another testimony from his youth, that he did not eat animal flesh nor drink alcohol.

Consider this, we in our state of sinful characteristic's often come into reading God's word with our own understanding. But there is something that God tells us about our opinion, our character and how we are to reason:
  1. Our opinion: Proverbs 3:4-8 "Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil. It shall be health to thy navel, and marrow to thy bones."
  2. Our character: Isaiah 64:6 "But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away."
  3. How to reason/learn: Isaiah 1:18 "Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool."
    John 16:13 "Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will show you things to come."
I do not know if this at all helps you, but my prayers are that it may.

Cheri

"Why is it so hard to lead a self-denying, humble life? Because professed Christians are not dead to the world. It is easy living after we are dead." 1T 131.2
Re: A Bible Study on Vegetarianism [Re: Will] #86581
03/18/07 10:08 AM
03/18/07 10:08 AM
Tammy Roesch  Offline
North East OHIO
 Originally Posted By: Will
I gather that is the gist of the study "Jesus is still in heaven cause people are eating meat"
What a joke.. I don't eat meat, but this is over the top. Shall we grow beards, keep the feast days cause Christ isn't hear yet.
Unbelieveable, unbiblical, and clearly hypocritical. THis is what is called a lie, vegetariansim taugt to be the way to holiness, yet Christ ate meat... Oh boy.. what next?

Sorry Will, but I don't believe it is a "joke"...God's professed people continueing to eat meat is only ONE reason why Jesus has not come back:

Quote:
Greater reforms should be seen among the people who claim to be looking for the soon appearing of Christ. Health reform is to do among our people a work which it has not yet done. There are those who ought to be awake to the danger of meat eating, who are still eating the flesh of animals, thus endangering the physical, mental, and spiritual health. Many who are now only half converted on the question of meat eating will go from God's people to walk no more with them. {CD 382.1}

After all, we are told
 Quote:
"When the fruit is brought forth, immediately he putteth in the sickle, because the harvest is come." Christ is waiting with longing desire for the manifestation of Himself in His church. When the character of Christ shall be perfectly reproduced in His people, then He will come to claim them as His own. {COL 69.1}

Christ is waiting with longing desire for the manifestation of Himself in His church. When the character of Christ shall be perfectly reproduced in His people, then He will come to claim them as His own. {COL 69}

Re: A Bible Study on Vegetarianism [Re: Cheri Fritz] #86582
03/18/07 10:11 AM
03/18/07 10:11 AM
Cheri Fritz  Offline OP
Gloversville, NY, USA
Greetings Thomas,
Your question:
 Quote:
Cheri, what can I say. You presented some texts that you know, and others presented some texts that they know. As I see it, the only testimony that has been clearly rejected this far in this thread is yours. So are you the prophet mentioned above?
Truly, I had never thought someone would consider that I call myself a prophet, but truly I had only regarded that an Adventist knows that I would be speaking of the prophet Mrs. White.

So I ask of you to please forgive my communications failure and that my assumption that you and others would understand that I was only referring to Mrs. White.
Your comment:
 Quote:
Well, with regards to equating lusting with meat eating...
The thread is after all called "a bible study on vegetarianism", and the topic has been on eating of meat, even though you at times have thinly veiled it under true sinns, such as coveting. If coveting is what you truly were refering to in that post, then I admit comparing it to the passover lamb was wrong. But then you must admit that it is equally sinfull to covet carrots or apples or peas as it is to covet birds as did Israel in the desert. If you do not admit this, then your point is just what it looked like, an argument not against coveting as such but as against coveting meat specifically. And then comparing it with the passover lamb is quite justified, IMHO.

Yes, to covet is to sin, but Thomas I suggest that you re-read the study because the scriptures testify that God called their desires to eat flesh the sin, it was not I. Remember God read their hearts and Moses & others recorded the history. These things I cannot change.

Cheri

"Why is it so hard to lead a self-denying, humble life? Because professed Christians are not dead to the world. It is easy living after we are dead." 1T 131.2
Page 4 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 16 17

Moderator  Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/28/24 02:32 PM
Meaning of Lazarus and the Rich Man
by dedication. 05/27/24 10:56 PM
What is the Biblical Reckoning of a Day?
by dedication. 05/27/24 01:26 AM
Soul and Body sleep
by Rick H. 05/25/24 09:15 AM
The Flood
by Rick H. 05/25/24 09:12 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/21/24 02:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/28/24 12:05 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!