HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,639
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, Kevin H, Karen Y, TheophilusOne, 2 invisible), 3,182 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 9 of 37 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 36 37
Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: asygo] #86510
03/16/07 06:33 PM
03/16/07 06:33 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I think that's true, but not for any arbitrary reason. That is, it's not that God gives one thing to one group of people and not to another because they have met some arbitrary condition that He has decided they need to meet, but the principle involved is, "To know God is life eternal," or, synonymously, "He that has the Son has life."

That is, eternal life is the outgrowth of knowing God, just as eternal death is the outgrowth of living for self.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: Tom] #86516
03/16/07 07:59 PM
03/16/07 07:59 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Right. There's nothing arbitrary about it. It's an incontrovertible, unavoidable fact of God's creation.

Have the Son -> have life.

Have not the Son -> have not life.

In Him is no sin.

If you are in Him -> in you is no sin.

It's not arbitrary. It is strictly cause and effect. And the very predictable nature of cause and effect is the foundation of foreknowledge. And since God has a really good knowledge of the causes (general and specific), He knows very well what the effects will be (general and specific). He knows the end from the beginning because He can see the future effects of present causes.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: asygo] #86518
03/16/07 08:07 PM
03/16/07 08:07 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I agree with everything you wrote, except for the last sentence, which I don't so much disagree with, but see as incomplete. God knows the end from the beginning not only, or even primarily, because He foresees what will happen, but because He understands the principles involved. Actually, I was re-read your last sentence, it's entirely possible that this is what you meant.

I'm glad you see thing things as non-arbitrary and strictly cause and effect. I think understanding this truth unlocks a great many others.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: Tom] #86521
03/16/07 10:21 PM
03/16/07 10:21 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
God knows the end from the beginning not only, or even primarily, because He foresees what will happen, but because He understands the principles involved. Actually, I was re-read your last sentence, it's entirely possible that this is what you meant.

Yes, that is what I meant. Just like if I throw 10 lbs of pure sodium in a lake, I can "see" what's going to happen, and run away very fast even before the sodium hits. Then, I can literally see from a safe distance.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: Tom] #86528
03/17/07 12:03 AM
03/17/07 12:03 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
Christ's being slain was a possibility from when God created man.

Again, the text doesn’t say that the Lamb offered Himself to be slain from the foundation of the world (which would have to do with His character), but that the Lamb was slain from the foundation of the world (which has to do with a concrete fact – a certainty, not a possibility).

Quote:
There are many places where God expresses Himself in ways such as expressing regret, disappointment, surprise...

Can God be surprised?

Quote:
... a number of emotions, which would be impossible if the future were determined.

First, the future isn’t determined by God’s foreknowledge. This would mean that things happen because God saw that they would happen, which is not true.
God predicted, through His foreknowledge, that the Jews would reject Him. Did they reject Him because this had been predicted?

"Christ quoted a prophecy which more than a thousand years before had predicted what God's foreknowledge had seen would be. The prophecies do not shape the characters of the men who fulfill them. Men act out their own free will, either in accordance with a character placed under the molding of God or a character placed under the harsh rule of Satan." {RH, November 13, 1900 par. 11}

Second, suppose a mother could see, before her son is born, the video of his life, and she sees that at 14 he will have cancer and die. Is your contention that she can’t feel sorry when he is diagnosed with cancer because she knew beforehand that this would happen?

Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: Rosangela] #86534
03/17/07 01:44 AM
03/17/07 01:44 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Good Arnold. Looks like we're on the same page (at least for this post!)

Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: Tom] #86540
03/17/07 02:16 AM
03/17/07 02:16 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Christ's being slain was a possibility from when God created man.

Again, the text doesn’t say that the Lamb offered Himself to be slain from the foundation of the world (which would have to do with His character), but that the Lamb was slain from the foundation of the world (which has to do with a concrete fact – a certainty, not a possibility).

"The Lamb offered Himself to be slain from the foundation of the world"? That's extremely awkward. Nobody writes like that.

At any rate, it should be clear that "the lamb slain from the foundation of the world" is dealing with the character of God, because that's what the whole Great Controversy is about. Are you arguing that sin had to happen? If sin was a certainty (that is, there is no way that sin could not have happened), there are serious consequences with such a view. If sin was a possibility, and not a certainty, then Christ's death on the cross was a possibility, and not a certainty. However, His character would still be the same.

The cross *revealed* what was hidden in ages past. It didn't create a new reality; it revealed what had always been true about God.

Quote:
There are many places where God expresses Himself in ways such as expressing regret, disappointment, surprise...

Can God be surprised?

He expresses Himself in the ways I stated. For example:

Quote:
They have built the high places of Topheth in the Valley of Ben Hinnom to burn their sons and daughters in the fire--something I did not command, nor did it enter my mind. (Jer. 7:31)

That's the NIV. The KJV has "entered my heart" I think. RSV and NASB have "come into my mind," I think.

God knew of the possibility of this happening from all eternity, but it was apparently not a likely event. In many places God expresses that similar emotions speaking of His reacting in time to the hardness of heart of the Israelites. These expressions in Scripture are in harmony with Ellen White's writing that God took a risk in sending His Son, and that all heaven was imperiled for our redemption.

God created the universe with an open future, not a determined one. This is what we see expressed over and over.

Quote:
... a number of emotions, which would be impossible if the future were determined.

First, the future isn’t determined by God’s foreknowledge.

Correct! However, it must be determined for God to have a foreknowledge of it which is determined. In other words, if God foreknows the future as determined (has only one possibility -- the one He sees), then it is certainly determined, because reality is as God knows it to be.

The issue has never been that God's foreknowledge *causes* anything to be. This apparently is a very difficult point to understand because you, Daryl, and MM repeatedly make this point over and over again, but I have never stated nor implied that this is the case, but rather have repeatedly, over and over again, and redundantly affirmed, asserted, pointed out, and explicated that God's foreknowledge does not cause us, or anyone else, to do anything. That this point continues to be made is a bit perplexing.

This would mean that things happen because God saw that they would happen, which is not true.

This is backwards. The things that happen happen regardless of whether God sees them. God sees them because they happen. If there's only one future that can happen, then that's what God sees. If God sees only one future, then that's reality. One future is what there is! God cannot see things different than what they are.

God predicted, through His foreknowledge, that the Jews would reject Him. Did they reject Him because this had been predicted?

No. The rejected Him because of the hardness of their heart. God's foreseeing things does not cause things to happen. However, just like Nineveh, just like Israel (as related in Jer. 18), those in Christ's time could have accepted Him.

"Christ quoted a prophecy which more than a thousand years before had predicted what God's foreknowledge had seen would be. The prophecies do not shape the characters of the men who fulfill them. Men act out their own free will, either in accordance with a character placed under the molding of God or a character placed under the harsh rule of Satan." {RH, November 13, 1900 par. 11}

This is correct. The fact that God revealed that He sent His Son at the risk of failure and eternal lost, makes it obvious that He saw failure as a possibility. Similarly the statement that all heaven was imperiled for our redemption makes clear that heaven was imperiled for our redemption, since that's what it says. So God does not just see one possibility, which is good, because that's not the way the future is.

Second, suppose a mother could see, before her son is born, the video of his life, and she sees that at 14 he will have cancer and die. Is your contention that she can’t feel sorry when he is diagnosed with cancer because she knew beforehand that this would happen?

It's my contention that she could not say that she brought her son into the world with the "risk" that her child wouldn't get cancer. (I put "risk" in quotes because "risk" is associated with loss, and the loss here would be the loss of a good thing -- not getting cancer)

Obviously your analogy was meant to point out that although God foresees what will happen, this does not mean He cannot feel pain when the foreseen thing happens. There's certainly a different when the foreseen possibility becomes reality, and God feels pain when that happens.

Consider the following:

Quote:
Sorrow filled Heaven, as it was realized that man was lost, and the world that God created was to be filled with mortals doomed to misery, sickness, and death, and there was no way of escape for the offender. The whole family of Adam must die. I saw the lovely Jesus, and beheld an expression of sympathy and sorrow upon his countenance. Soon I saw him approach the exceeding bright light which enshrouded the Father. Said my accompanying angel, He is in close converse with his Father. The anxiety of the angels seemed to be intense while Jesus was communing with his Father. Three times he was shut in by the glorious light about the Father, and the third time he came from the Father his person could be seen. His countenance was calm, free from all perplexity and trouble, and shone with benevolence and loveliness, such as words cannot express....

Said the angel, Think ye that the Father yielded up his dearly beloved Son without a struggle? No, no. It was even a struggle with the God of Heaven, whether to let guilty man perish, or to give his beloved Son to die for them.

Unless this is a farce, these things actually happened. If Christ went to God three times to convince God to allow Him to come, and the angel expressed this as a "struggle," then it wasn't a foregone conclusion that God would do this. If God knew for all eternity that His Son would ask Him three times to allow Him to come, this could hardly be called a "struggle." The whole narrative wouldn't make sense.

Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: Tom] #86587
03/18/07 01:36 PM
03/18/07 01:36 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
"The Lamb offered Himself to be slain from the foundation of the world"? That's extremely awkward. Nobody writes like that.

What I mean is, “from the foundation of the world, the Lamb offered Himself to be slain.” Does this make sense?

Quote:
That's the NIV. The KJV has "entered my heart" I think. RSV and NASB have "come into my mind," I think.
God knew of the possibility of this happening from all eternity, but it was apparently not a likely event. (Jer. 7:31)

This is not at all the way I understand the verse. To me, what God is trying to communicate is that not only had He never commanded such a practice, but that the very thought of it could never have been originated by Him.

Quote:
In other words, if God foreknows the future as determined (has only one possibility -- the one He sees), then it is certainly determined, because reality is as God knows it to be.

You are simply changing the meaning of the word. To determine means “to establish or affect the nature, kind, or quality of; fix.” In other words, for Judas’ future to be determined, God would have said, “I need someone to betray my Son, in order that He may be crucified. I will choose Judas to do it, and he will have no choice but do it.” In that case, Judas wouldn’t have been an instrument of the devil, but an instrument of God. God would have chosen and fixed the nature of the events and the role of the participants; Judas’ will would have been affected, making it impossible for him to choose to do otherwise.

Quote:
It's my contention that she could not say that she brought her son into the world with the "risk" that her child wouldn't get cancer.

Let’s change the illustration in order to understand this subject of “risk”. Suppose I’m a doctor and there is an epidemic of a lethal disease in Africa. There is no vaccine for it, so I can’t take one. I decide to travel there to help. Suppose that before traveling to Africa I have a glimpse of the future, and become aware that I will be lucky enough to not catch the disease. The probability of catching the disease, for everyone who is in this region of Africa, is of 80%. Would you say that the probability for me was of 80% too or that it was zero? Would you say that I took no risk in going to Africa? After I have that glimpse of the future, what I saw passes away from me, so that when I arrive in Africa I’m no longer aware of how things will come out. How real will I feel the risk to be for me?

Quote:
Unless this is a farce, these things actually happened. If Christ went to God three times to convince God to allow Him to come, and the angel expressed this as a "struggle," then it wasn't a foregone conclusion that God would do this.

Taking a decision and implementing the decision are two different things. Even for God.

Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: Rosangela] #86606
03/18/07 09:05 PM
03/18/07 09:05 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
 Originally Posted By: Rosangela

Let’s change the illustration in order to understand this subject of “risk”. Suppose I’m a doctor and there is an epidemic of a lethal disease in Africa. There is no vaccine for it, so I can’t take one. I decide to travel there to help. Suppose that before traveling to Africa I have a glimpse of the future, and become aware that I will be lucky enough to not catch the disease. The probability of catching the disease, for everyone who is in this region of Africa, is of 80%. Would you say that the probability for me was of 80% too or that it was zero? Would you say that I took no risk in going to Africa? After I have that glimpse of the future, what I saw passes away from me, so that when I arrive in Africa I’m no longer aware of how things will come out. How real will I feel the risk to be for me?
If your glimpses of the future are always 100% accurate (and you know that they are 100% accutate), then there is a 0% risk for you.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: vastergotland] #86617
03/19/07 12:17 AM
03/19/07 12:17 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
The Lamb offered Himself to be slain from the foundation of the world"? That's extremely awkward. Nobody writes like that.

What I mean is, “from the foundation of the world, the Lamb offered Himself to be slain.” Does this make sense?

There is a sense in which this is true. For example, EGW writes, "Remember Christ risked all." and Paul writes of how Christ gave Himself for us. However, it is also true that God so loved the world that He gave His only Son. So to have written, "from the foundation of the world, the Lamb offered Himself to be slain" seems to me to be more limiting in meaning that to speak of the "lamb slain from the foundation of the world."

Later on you write that there is a difference, even to God, of making plans and implementing them, which is my point here. The "lamb slain from the foundation of the world" speaks to the plan that was set up, should it become necessary. Since God could still have decided not to implement the plan, let alone the fact that sin didn't need to happen at all, it would be a mistake to read into this text some statement regarding the future being determined. It's not a treatise on foreknowledge/ontology of the future. It's a beautiful statement as to God's character.

For example, when John speaks in Revelation of Christ, he speaks of how he heard an angel speak of the Lion of the tribe of Judah. But John looked and saw a lamb. This is speaking to character, and how that character is perceived.

Ellen White brings out the thoughts I've been trying to share here:

Quote:
Before the Father [Christ] pleaded in the sinner's behalf, while the host of heaven awaited the result with an intensity of interest that words cannot express. Long continued was that mysterious communing--"the counsel of peace"for the fallen human race. The plan of salvation had been laid before the creation of the earth, for Christ is "the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world." Yet it was a struggle, even with the King of the universe, to yield up His Son to die for the guilty race. . . . Oh, the mystery of redemption! The love of God for a world that did not love Him! Who can know the depths of that love that "passeth knowledge"? (Church Triumphant 30)

Quote:
God knew of the possibility of this happening from all eternity, but it was apparently not a likely event. (Jer. 7:31)

This is not at all the way I understand the verse.

Of course! You don't understand any of these verses this way. But there are nevertheless many of them, verses which communicate God experiencing regret, disappointment at the way things turn out, contingency, and so forth.

To me, what God is trying to communicate is that not only had He never commanded such a practice, but that the very thought of it could never have been originated by Him.

Quote:
In other words, if God foreknows the future as determined (has only one possibility -- the one He sees), then it is certainly determined, because reality is as God knows it to be.

You are simply changing the meaning of the word. To determine means “to establish or affect the nature, kind, or quality of; fix.”

I'm using the word in a technical sense, in the context of what we are discussing. The "determined" means "fixed" in the sense of "certain" or "cannot be changed." I'm using it in the standard way the term is used when foreknolwedge is discussed.

In other words, for Judas’ future to be determined, God would have said, “I need someone to betray my Son, in order that He may be crucified. I will choose Judas to do it, and he will have no choice but do it.” In that case, Judas wouldn’t have been an instrument of the devil, but an instrument of God. God would have chosen and fixed the nature of the events and the role of the participants; Judas’ will would have been affected, making it impossible for him to choose to do otherwise.

No, that's not what it means. The term is ontological, dealing with the future. It does not necessarily imply predestination, as your scenario implies. Actually, Calivinists would argue that it does, but Arminianists deny this claim. I think the argument of the Calvinists is logically consistent (but disagree with the premise of the future being determined).

Quote:
It's my contention that she could not say that she brought her son into the world with the "risk" that her child wouldn't get cancer.

I'm not understanding your point. First of all, I don't understand why "risk" is in quotes. Why would the risk of the doctor be zero? Is he doing something not to catch the disease that others aren't doing? How real you feel a risk is has nothing to do with how real the risk actually is. God took a real risk in sending His Son. He didn't just feel like He was taking one. Heaven really was imperiled for our redemption. It's not the case that it just felt like it was imperiled.

Quote:
Unless this is a farce, these things actually happened. If Christ went to God three times to convince God to allow Him to come, and the angel expressed this as a "struggle," then it wasn't a foregone conclusion that God would do this.

Taking a decision and implementing the decision are two different things. Even for God.

I agree with this. However, if it were the case that the future is determined (i.e., it can only take one possible course, the one which God sees), then there wouldn't be any difference. God would simply do what He always foresaw He would do. Any "struggle" that would take place would have been resolved long ago in eternigy, when God first saw what He would do. "Struggle" doesn't begin to make sense in such a scenario. Neither does the concept of risk make any sense.

Page 9 of 37 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 36 37

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/20/24 12:54 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/16/24 02:17 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by kland. 05/17/24 04:47 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!