HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,639
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, Kevin H, Karen Y, TheophilusOne, 2 invisible), 3,182 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 9 of 17 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 16 17
Re: A Bible Study on Vegetarianism [Re: Cheri Fritz] #86685
03/20/07 03:03 PM
03/20/07 03:03 PM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
Thomas,
Daniel ate meat. Cheri doesn't believe it cause Ellen White said he didn't, it is a contradiction.
I believe that he did, and I am not convinced that he did not eat meat,wen the Bible says clearly in black and white that he fasted from pleasant bread, flesh meat and wine for 3 weeks.
God Bless,
Will

Re: A Bible Study on Vegetarianism [Re: vastergotland] #86689
03/20/07 03:46 PM
03/20/07 03:46 PM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
Hi Thomas,
I can't consume honey and when I do it's sparingly e.g. 1 every couple of months. We get it from a beekeeper so we get a large amount, like a pail\pale (forgot the spelling) for $25.00 and I have to make sure my diet is basically gluten free, so I opt for brown rice syrup as a substitute. I have allergies which is why I have to do a a lot of things things differently.
I was questioned as to why a plant based diet is expensive when all you need is a bowl of lentils, and I broke down my own experience. Its pricey.
God Bless,
Will

Re: A Bible Study on Vegetarianism [Re: Will] #86691
03/20/07 03:56 PM
03/20/07 03:56 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Yes, I can see that being allergic to gluten (and maybe other vegetabile substances) would make being a vegetarian much more difficult and expensive. It is a little better for those who are not allergic to foodstuff.

Then again, you dont have to make lentil loaf out of them lentils, they make some excellent soup aswell. \:D

Thomas

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: A Bible Study on Vegetarianism [Re: Will] #86692
03/20/07 03:58 PM
03/20/07 03:58 PM
Cheri Fritz  Offline OP
Gloversville, NY, USA
Greetings Will,

Regarding your comment:
 Quote:
Daniel ate meat. Cheri doesn't believe it cause Ellen White said he didn't, it is a contradiction.
With all due respect Brother Will, I do not recall stating such that I believe it because of Mrs. White.
 Quote:
I believe that he did, and I am not convinced that he did not eat meat,wen the Bible says clearly in black and white that he fasted from pleasant bread, flesh meat and wine for 3 weeks.
Let us consider this verse yet again:
  • "I ate no pleasant bread, neither came flesh nor wine in my mouth, neither did I anoint myself at all, till three whole weeks were fulfilled." Daniel 10:3
Here are some possibilities in which we can consider with our human reasoning powers:
  1. That he is simply saying that he did not eat anything, including flesh meat.
  2. That was he eating was flesh meat but he stopped for the fast.
  3. That because the record was shown he remained faithful until the first year of Cyrus that he would again record history as not taking from things which he had original found unacceptable.
  4. That he was simply saying that he did not annoint his head until three weeks passed. As annointing was an outward sign to the Jews of fasting. (Which is in total character for this humble man.)
Regardles how we humanly decide to make our opinion, we must remember that we are not to lean on our own opinion. This is why we are taught to be so desirous to pray for the guidance of the Holy Spirit that we might have His education and wisdom rather than ours.

Truly Will, I do not implore you to believe as I. No one ever need to believe as I do. But I do encourage and plead that any one considering anything must go and to ask the for the Holy Spirit. And so that you understand, I do not suggest at all that you have not prayed and studied and ask for the Holy Spirit.

But my heart does become sad because my faith seems to cause you so much pain and I am sorry that I do seem to grieve you.

With thankfulness that I was able to share,
Your Sister in Christ Jesus,
Cheri

"Why is it so hard to lead a self-denying, humble life? Because professed Christians are not dead to the world. It is easy living after we are dead." 1T 131.2
Re: A Bible Study on Vegetarianism [Re: vastergotland] #86694
03/20/07 04:04 PM
03/20/07 04:04 PM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
I eat lentil soup or actually lentils and brown rice with garlic (roast them first so you don't smell so badly hehe), 3 bean salad with vegetables in it, lots of beans\legumes really.
We have to be inventive, but eating lentils alone doesn't cut it, and have learned lots about eating properly, which goes in hand with our diet. Things such as removing processed foods which includes sugars and breads.
So theres quite a bit involved, and we both work, and both have activities after work, and we get home rather late during the week between 9-10:30pm Monday-Thursday.
God Bless,
Will

Re: A Bible Study on Vegetarianism [Re: Will] #86695
03/20/07 04:14 PM
03/20/07 04:14 PM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
Cheri,
Your faith does not cause me pain or grief. I am going by what the Bible says, and it says he refrained from eating meat, bread, drinking wine, and putting oil on his head for 3 weeks. He stopped doing those things for a 3 week period. Its a done deal for me, for you it may be different, perhaps it is a sin for you. It's not for me.
God Bless,
Will

Re: A Bible Study on Vegetarianism [Re: Will] #86698
03/20/07 04:22 PM
03/20/07 04:22 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Will,

Would rye bread be out of question with your gluten allergy? If not, thats some good eating.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: A Bible Study on Vegetarianism [Re: vastergotland] #86706
03/20/07 05:04 PM
03/20/07 05:04 PM
Will  Offline
Most Dedicated Member
BC, Canada
I can try and eat some, but I have a certain condition thingy that is embarrassing to say the least, which is why I had to go on this particular diet of eliminating all sugars, and breads, oils and all sorts of stuff.
On the positive side, my health has improved tremendously! I am not anorexic looking with rib cages showing and stuff, so its not one of those types of diets, I have meat on my bones, and good endurance and stamina, but I don't eat like everyone else does.
There are food items I buy to mimic a typical italian dish, such as black soybean pasta at 23 grams of protein per serving, topped with tomatoes, olives, and garlic. Add some almond milk to it, or 2 glasses of soy milk fortified with vitamins, and my body gets the nourishment it needs.
However, I do like to indulge every once in a while, so I think I may pick up some rye bread and make a tasty sandwich with it :-)
I remember I use to love tuna and rye, what a combo!
There are things like yeast I can't consume, and bread is made with yeast, at least a majority of it, but I am not sure if my body has built up a tolerance to it as I have not "tested" it out lately.
I'll check out the local bread shop and pick up a loaf of rye this week, and eat some to see how I react.
Thanks for that suggestion Thomas \:\)
God Bless,
Will

Re: A Bible Study on Vegetarianism [Re: Will] #86707
03/20/07 06:39 PM
03/20/07 06:39 PM
C
crater  Offline
Veteran Member
United States
Thanks Will,

I was thinking that it could be the book by Walton. I read it some years ago. I think I must have it boxed up. My husband is after me to reduce the amount my books. One of my projects this spring it to go through my books and get rid of some.

People would get bored eating meat loaf for a month too. \:D

I think everyones vegetarian experience is different; and the cost depends on where they live and how and where they shop; as well as what kind of foods do they prefer, their social economic life style, culinary skills, etc. . .

I tend to be fairly thrifty. I buy my grains, legumes, nuts and seeds in the bulk bin section. I also go to the store that has the best price on these items.

Prices have really increased this winter. Yellow onions at last years price were 4 lb. for $1.00, this year they are nearly $1.00 a lb. Wonder what's up with onions? I'm going to have to plant some this year.

I like scottish oats too. Bought some yesterday as well as cashew and walnuts from the bulk bin. The oats wt. .81 lb. and cost me 36 cents, the cashews wt. .58 lb. and cost me $1.76, the walnuts wt. .49 lb. and cost me $1.85. (in recipes that call for walnuts, I often use half sunflower seeds, which reduces the cost and adds some zinc.)

For my romaine I usually go to a store who's clientele tends to be the restaurant trade and purchase a bag of 6 heart of romaine for $2.99. I also get my lemons, tofu and rice noodles there for a much better price.

Mostly for my fruit and vegetables I try and buy in season. I purchase local grown when possible. I do try and grow my own when I can. We have planted an orchard but have found that some years will hardly produce. We do "put some food by", can, freeze, and dry. We do prefer to eat fresh and in season. We grow our own blueberries and freeze a lot of them. Made some sugar free blueberry jam this year and sweetened it with white grape juice concentrate. We also experimented with drying blueberries and liked the results.

We love plums and have a lot of varieties. Some years they don't all produce. Love tree ripened and eating right from the tree. Never buy the tasteless supermarket varieties. Cherry crop really varies from year to year. We grow apples and pears but the crop also varies from year to year. We enjoy making juice from the apples in our champion juicer. We use several varieties to make the juice and I just strain it. The strain pulp, I cook up for applesauce and just add some apple juice concentrate to sweeten. Also a few grapes and raspberries that we just eat fresh from the vine. Don't seem to have enough to "put by".

Paid 67 cents a gallon for my water yesterday. I guess if I wanted to fill jugs from a machine, I could get it for 30 cents a gal. or less.

I tend to prefer fruit juice concentrate for sweetener. For somethings maple syrup.
I have used brown rice syrup some, but not my preferred choice. Also have some honey and agave in my cupboard.

My budget doesn't allow to buy much organic. But I check out the organic section of my market. Sometimes they have some organic for the same or close to price of regular and then I do buy it.

I don't buy the out of season exported fruits as I don't know the conditions in which they were grown under. I wait for melon season to purchase them.

My spouse and I had never really cared for cows milk to drink, so drinking milk isn't something we do. So haven't felt a need to replace it with a substitute. Soy milk powder I have found good to use either dry to replace "powdered milk" in a recipe or to mix with water to replace milk in a recipe. I don't buy the type of flavored and sweeten found at ABC but have found a plain type for under $2.00 a pound the last time I purchased. For drinking, "millet milk" is really good in my opinion and is inexpensive to make. If you would like a recipe let me know.

We all need to include a certain amount of grains, fruits, and vegetables in our diet whether we are vegetarian of not. The main diet difference that I see would be the protein source; animal flesh vs. plant protein. I think one can get a good variety of plant based protein, pay much less for it and not get bored.

Last edited by crater; 03/20/07 06:48 PM.
Re: A Bible Study on Vegetarianism [Re: Will] #86712
03/20/07 09:49 PM
03/20/07 09:49 PM
C
crater  Offline
Veteran Member
United States
Hi Will,

You have come up with some interesting stuff, that I appreciate knowing about. e.g. Daniel 10: 2.3. This has made an interesting discussion and search of scripture and SOP for answers.

I have to say, on somethings, don’t you think you are doing a bit of “spinning”?

For example a little dialog we had, I never said, "all you need is a bowl of lentils". Perhaps you were referring to something someone else said. If that be the case I apologize.

Originally Posted By: Will
Hi Thomas,
I can't consume honey and when I do it's sparingly e.g. 1 every couple of months. We get it from a beekeeper so we get a large amount, like a pail\pale (forgot the spelling) for $25.00 and I have to make sure my diet is basically gluten free, so I opt for brown rice syrup as a substitute. I have allergies which is why I have to do a a lot of things things differently.
I was questioned as to why a plant based diet is expensive when all you need is a bowl of lentils, and I broke down my own experience. Its pricey.
God Bless,
Will

Quote:
(quote Will) there are many poor people (SDA's and other Christians as well) who cannot afford the luxury of spending a couple of hundred dollars on changing their diet to be vegetarian, cause it's not cheap I counted as we made changes.

Quote:
(quote Crater) Have I missed something? I have found plant based diet to be less expensive than a meat based diet. e.g. cost of lentil loaf verses cost of meat loaf.

Isn’t it your own personal allergies that have added to expense of "your vegetarian diet"? At the onset of our dialog, you failed to mention "I have allergies which is why I have to do a a lot of things things differently." With your "gluten allergies", you would still have the added expense of obtaining gluten free products if you wished to eat "breads" and "pasta" products, even if you were to eat a flesh based diet.

Would you not be buying your water and produce even if eating a flesh based diet?

Page 9 of 17 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 16 17

Moderator  Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/20/24 12:54 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/16/24 02:17 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by kland. 05/17/24 04:47 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!