HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,629
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Nadi, 3 invisible), 3,062 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 11 of 37 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 36 37
Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: DenBorg] #86733
03/21/07 09:00 AM
03/21/07 09:00 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Gen 6:6 And Jehovah repented that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved to His heart.

Dan 4:25 And you shall be driven from men, and your dwelling shall be with the beasts of the field. And you shall be fed with grass like oxen. And you shall be wet with dew of the heavens; and seven times shall pass over you until you know that the Most High is Ruler in the kingdom of men, and He gives it to whomever He desires.

Quote:
You have the cause-and-effect relationship all backwards, as I have stated elsewhere.

You are saying that I spilled my drink (and God knew for certain that I would do so) because the future says my shirt is wet. But the truth of the matter is that my shirt was wet because I spilled my drink on my shirt.
Surely you can see why this argument is flawed. If God knows the future perfectly, He not only knows that your shirt will be wet, He also knows that it will be wet because you will spill your drink on your shirt, and He knows what drink you will spill even though you havent yet written what you have in your glas. Furthermore, there is no way that you will not spill that drink on that shirt because if you do no spill it, then God would know something of the future that did not happen and that would make God wrong. And since we believe that God is not wrong, then if He knows that you will spill drink on your shirt, you surely will have a wet shirt in the appointed time wether you like it or not.
 Quote:

Just because God knows with absolute certainty and with absolute clarity does not change the cause-and-effect relationship between our choices and the future events. Think of all the predictions He gave in His Holy Word with exact precision in time, hundreds or thousands of years before they happened, with exacting detail ... God could not have made such predictions if His foreknowledge was as fuzzy and iffy as you describe.
The cause and effect is still there, true. Your shirt becomes wet because you spilled a glas of drink on it. But if the future is fully known, then this cause must happen becaues it is predicted so. That drink will spill just as surely as Cyrus was born to overthrow Babylon.

On the other hand, with an open future, God could still make prophecy. The difference is that instead of telling the prophets about the future that in Gods eyes has already happened, He tells the prophets about what He plans to do. And surely God would have no problem with causing a child to be named Cyrus, then causing that child to be trained in leadership and warefare tactics and finaly through him open the gates of Babylon to kill a drunken king? In my view, exact prophecy is exact for the reason that God makes things happen. One could say He creates that which He has predicted.
 Quote:

I've mentioned example prophecies in my recent posts on this thread to illustrate how exact and precise His predictions are. They are not a bunch of "If this, and if that, and if they just so happen to choose this way, then this will happen", No! He predicted with exactness which leaves no doubt about His foreknowledge ... this is one of the biggest things that identifies God as the One and Only True God!
There are prophecies which are as you say, quite to the point and no uncertainities in sight. But there are no lack of prophecies where God says, if you do this, then...

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: vastergotland] #86738
03/21/07 11:17 AM
03/21/07 11:17 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
In my view, exact prophecy is exact for the reason that God makes things happen.

Thomas,

Then the view you are defending is much worse than the view we are defending. In the view that God knows the future beforehand, the fact that He knows the future in no way affects the free will of His creatures. But in the view you are defending the opposite is true. If God makes things happen, then He made Cyrus conquer Babylon, He made Judas betray Christ, He made Christ not sin. If He made all these things happen, this means that the individuals involved had no choice, because they were made to do what God had planned them to do.

Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: Tom] #86739
03/21/07 11:21 AM
03/21/07 11:21 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Tom,

In the illustration was my future determined by God, by the weather, or by myself?

Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: Rosangela] #86744
03/21/07 12:52 PM
03/21/07 12:52 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
 Originally Posted By: Rosangela
 Quote:
In my view, exact prophecy is exact for the reason that God makes things happen.

Thomas,

Then the view you are defending is much worse than the view we are defending. In the view that God knows the future beforehand, the fact that He knows the future in no way affects the free will of His creatures. But in the view you are defending the opposite is true. If God makes things happen, then He made Cyrus conquer Babylon, He made Judas betray Christ, He made Christ not sin. If He made all these things happen, this means that the individuals involved had no choice, because they were made to do what God had planned them to do.
Rosangela,

Interesting points, I will have to think that through some more. I confess I havent thought through the prophecy part as thorroughly yet. As for the foreknowledge part, I will quote a post made in the BSDA forum that contains another way of explaining this besides the ones I and Tom have made here. Maybe it will be a little clearer then. I quote the summary here:

Quote:
The position of Open Theism is that God does not know that portion of the future which he has made continguent on man's free choice.... because until the individual has actually made the choice, the action he will choose is not yet decided, and therefore does not exist for God to know. IOW, God knows all there is to know... but he does not know those things which do not yet exist.

Last edited by Daryl Fawcett; 03/22/07 09:59 PM. Reason: Link Removed as it opens up a whole topic rather than one relevant post

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: vastergotland] #86748
03/21/07 01:35 PM
03/21/07 01:35 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Tom,

In the illustration was my future determined by God, by the weather, or by myself?

It doesn't matter (to any points I'm making).

I understand your point to be that the fact that God knows what choice we will make, does not impact our free will (our ability to make the choice we wish to make). This is, of course, true.

I think you may be getting sidetracked by the word "determined." Instead of determined let's try using "like a T.V. rerun" and see if that works better. Asking what determines the future isn't really a question that needs to be consider in relation to the points I've been making.

The point I've been making is that if the future is such that only one thing can happen (for whatever reason), then that's the only thing that can happen. If there's only one thing that can happen, we can't choose to do something different than that thing.

The fact that God knows what this thing is is irrelevant in terms of this point. Who determines this single-threaded future is irrelevant in terms of this point (although it should be obvious that we can't determine a future that is known before we exist).

Free will, under the future-is-like-a-TV-rerun scenario cannot be logically understood as the ability to do either of more than one mutually exclusive events, since only one event (the one we will choose) can happen. Free will must logically be defined as the ability to do what we choose to do, in order to be logically consistent with this view of the future.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: Tom] #86750
03/21/07 01:45 PM
03/21/07 01:45 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
The position of Open Theism is that God does not know that portion of the future which he has made contingent on man's free choice.... because until the individual has actually made the choice, the action he will choose is not yet decided, and therefore does not exist for God to know. IOW, God knows all there is to know... but he does not know those things which do not yet exist.

This isn't quite accurate. God does not know *definitively* that portion of the future which is contingent on man's free choice. There is nothing that can happen which God has not foreseen. God foresees that a person can do either this or that, and knows what the consequence of each choice is. He knows the end from the beginning. However, until the choice is actually made, there isn't a definitive answer to the question of which choice will be made, since it hasn't been made yet. God knows the future as it actually is, which is comprised of a combination of certainties and possibilities.

Regarding prophecy, God knew of things that could happen, and prophesied them ahead of time. God's acting to make Cyrus a leader can hardly be charged against Him as a bad thing. Perhaps Cyrus was the best possible leader there could have been, the one most likely to be receptive to the Holy Spirit.

Also, the fact that God has prophesied something does not mean that it must happen. God Himself makes this point in Jeremiah 18:

Quote:
Then the word of the LORD came to me, saying,

O house of Israel, cannot I do with you as this potter? saith the LORD. Behold, as the clay is in the potter's hand, so are ye in mine hand, O house of Israel.

At what instant I shall speak concerning a nation, and concerning a kingdom, to pluck up, and to pull down, and to destroy it;

If that nation, against whom I have pronounced, turn from their evil, I will repent of the evil that I thought to do unto them.

And at what instant I shall speak concerning a nation, and concerning a kingdom, to build and to plant it;

If it do evil in my sight, that it obey not my voice, then I will repent of the good, wherewith I said I would benefit them. (Jer. 18:5-10)

Of course Nineveh is a prime example of this.

Israel was given ample opportunity to repent, more than ample, and had they repented, they would not have been conquered, and this was prophesied by God, just as what actually happened, where they did not repent and were conquered. Over and over Jeremiah told them what would happen if they repented.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: Tom] #86775
03/22/07 12:41 AM
03/22/07 12:41 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
Regarding prophecy, God knew of things that could happen, and prophesied them ahead of time. God's acting to make Cyrus a leader can hardly be charged against Him as a bad thing.

Bro Tom,

Do you agree with the generalization that "On the other hand, with an open future, God could still make prophecy. The difference is that instead of telling the prophets about the future that in Gods eyes has already happened, He tells the prophets about what He plans to do. And surely God would have no problem with causing..."?

For example, when God said to Peter, "You will deny me three times," was that just a really good guess of what he thought Peter might do, or did He cause Peter to sin, or was it simply God knowing the facts so well that He could know for certain the effects of future causes on Peter, or something else?

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: asygo] #86781
03/22/07 03:39 AM
03/22/07 03:39 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Do you agree with the generalization that "On the other hand, with an open future, God could still make prophecy. The difference is that instead of telling the prophets about the future that in Gods eyes has already happened, He tells the prophets about what He plans to do. And surely God would have no problem with causing..."?

This is *far* too simplistic. The future is comprised of many things, including:
a)Some things that are certain to occur
b)Some things that might occur
c)Some things that God might cause to happen

Quote:

For example, when God said to Peter, "You will deny me three times," was that just a really good guess of what he thought Peter might do, or did He cause Peter to sin, or was it simply God knowing the facts so well that He could know for certain the effects of future causes on Peter, or something else?

Of course He didn't cause Peter to sin. Do you really think that was a possibility?

God knew Peter's character. That was the main thing. He also knew what was about to happen. Certain elements of what would happen would depend upon the free will choice of sentient beings, but it certainly would not have been difficult to know that Peter would deny Christ. Again, God knew his character.

Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: Tom] #86783
03/22/07 04:02 AM
03/22/07 04:02 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Quote:

Of course He didn't cause Peter to sin. Do you really think that was a possibility?

That was just there for completeness.

God knew Peter's character. That was the main thing. He also knew what was about to happen. Certain elements of what would happen would depend upon the free will choice of sentient beings, but it certainly would not have been difficult to know that Peter would deny Christ. Again, God knew his character.

I completely agree that God's prophecy was certain because He knew Peter's character. Our characters determine our choices, and God's accurate knowledge of Peter's character allowed Him to make an accurate prediction of Peter's choices. Peter's character was the cause (at least, one of them) and his choice to deny Christ was the foreseen effect.

My view in this matter is that God's universe is not arbitrary. Effects are determined by their causes, not by chance.

If Peter's choice can be accurately predicted by God, does that mean that Peter did not have free will? Or does it mean that Peter was free to choose what he wanted to do, but God knew what he wanted to do (even more than he did)? After Christ gave the prophecy, was there a possibility that Peter was going to do something different?

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: asygo] #86787
03/22/07 04:50 AM
03/22/07 04:50 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
The fact that Christ made the prophesy didn't change whether or not Peter could choose to differently than Christ predicted. In this scenario, it was simply a case that Christ knew Peter better than he knew himself. It sounds like we're on the same page on this.

I forgot what I was going to say. Hate it when that happens.

Moving on to something else... I don't believe in a deterministic universe. Chaos theory and quantum mechanics seems to make it clear that God loves spontaneity and randomness. They are in the very building blocks of things. I think it's a wonderful thing that God is able to create things, even things without free will, which fill Him, the creator, with joy, so that He could say that they were "very good." Of course, when being capable of exhibiting free will enter the picture, this is even more the case.

Page 11 of 37 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 36 37

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!