HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,629
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Daryl, Karen Y, dedication, Nadi, 2 invisible), 2,978 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 13 of 37 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 36 37
Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: Tom] #86875
03/23/07 12:32 PM
03/23/07 12:32 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
My point has nothing to do with God's foreknowledge. It has to do with the simple fact that if the future is single-threaded, in that there is only one possible thing that can happen (which is what will happen), then our free will cannot logically mean that we are capable of doing either of several mutually exclusive alternatives. That should be obvious.

Free will means "the freedom of the will to choose a course of action without external coercion but in accordance with the ideals or moral outlook of the individual" (Webster). What you mean is that people are coerced by God's foreknowledge to do things?

Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: Rosangela] #86877
03/23/07 12:53 PM
03/23/07 12:53 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
My definition of free will also requires more than one option of action. My definition of free will requires that in the dawn of creation, there always was the option that Lucifer would not have sinned. It requires that Peter could have chosen not to follow Jesus in to the high priests courts and be challenged there. It requires that Judas could have stayed in the upper room and only walked out in company with Jesus and the diciples and refrained from carrying out the betrayal. Anything less, wether it be predetermination or if it be that in each of these cases the individuals where free to choose the course of action that was foreknown, I cannot see as free will.

I have learned that this creates some problems to the understanding of God being all powerful and all knowing. But the difficulties of the other view, where by one cause or another, wether by predestination or because God has forseen it, a sertain result will come to pass, has greater weight.

If God has decided that I will be saved or that I will be lost, that would greatly concern me that my destiny would be decided by factors outside of my controll. If God knows that I will be saved or that I will be lost, that would greatly concern me that if God knows that I will be lost I really cant do or choose anything that would end up in a different end result than in my damnation, or if God knows that I will be saved, I couldnt really do or choose anything that would have a different end result than in my salvation.

Oh well, this has all been said before and saying it again is not likely to change anything.

Thomas

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: Tom] #86879
03/23/07 12:58 PM
03/23/07 12:58 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Tom, you said:

Quote:
God knows the end from the beginning not only, or even primarily, because He foresees what will happen, but because He understands the principles involved.

Isn't this determinism?

"Determinism states that the way things will be is a result of how things are and the work of natural laws. That is only to say that if we know exactly how things are at the present moment and the laws that govern how the world (or the universe) works, then we can derive how things will be at some future time."
(http://www.galilean-library.org/int13.html)

Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: vastergotland] #86881
03/23/07 01:11 PM
03/23/07 01:11 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
If God knows that I will be saved or that I will be lost, that would greatly concern me that if God knows that I will be lost I really cant do or choose anything that would end up in a different end result than in my damnation, or if God knows that I will be saved, I couldnt really do or choose anything that would have a different end result than in my salvation.

God only sees what you will choose, and He died to make this choice possible. It's simple. Choose salvation and you will be saved. Choose it every day and every hour.

Deu 30:19 I call heaven and earth to witness against you this day, that I have set before thee life and death, the blessing and the curse: therefore choose life, that thou mayest live, thou and thy seed

Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: vastergotland] #86914
03/24/07 12:06 AM
03/24/07 12:06 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Originally Posted By: västergötland
Does true randomness exist anywhere in the universe?
If the answere is no, that would mean that sin wasnt random.

I would say No at this time. And I agree with your conclusion.

Sin was not random. There was a reason why it arose in Lucifer; reasons that did not exist in others.

But was it rational?

The SOP tells us that it was a species of insanity.

Can irrationallity exist if every action has a cause?

The cause can be something outside the physical realm. There may be spiritual phenomena that can cause physical effects.

Wouldnt irrationallity together with randomness be just words we use for things we do not understand?

Perhaps. We humans are ignorant of a great many things. What may seem random might turn out to be perfectly predictable.

Irrational, though, is a different class from random.

Now, if these things above would be true, and sin be neither random nor irrational, wouldnt it then be both predictable and rational, maybe even unavoidable?

Though it is not random, it is not rational. But I suppose Satan might disagree. My daughter sometimes disagrees when I point out to her that being mean is a bad thing.

If all of those things would be true, could we then still say that God is good in any sence of the word? Why or why not?

They are not all true.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: asygo] #86990
03/27/07 12:58 AM
03/27/07 12:58 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Originally Posted By: John Boskovic
 Quote:
As far as I'm concerned, foreknowledge in the realm of human behavior must necessarily be based on the person's faith in God, and in God's faith in His own knowledge of our characters.

How does that pan out in terms of God's foreknowledge of our individual salvation?

Is it fixed or is it open?

Individual salvation is based on whether or not the individual partakes of grace through faith. But there are many factors that come into play throughout one's lifetime. I believe that God knows all those factors.

If we accept the idea that our thoughts and actions are based solely on physical processes in the brain, then there is no freewill. Either everything is determined by how particles interact with each other in your brain, or they are probabilistic due to random occurences. Either way, your character is just the result of physical processes beyond your control.

But beyond the realm of human science, there is the possibility of non-physical factors that can come into play. Spiritual matters are beyond the scope of science, but is the only way I see for free will to exist. IOW, there are unseen forces at work that affect our characters.

I believe God knows all about these things as well. When all factors are taken into account, He can see the end from the beginning.

Is that fixed or open? I'm not sure how the terminology is used, but I would say open and known. Open because we have the ability to affect what will happen to us, and known because God knows all about it.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: Rosangela] #86999
03/27/07 02:09 AM
03/27/07 02:09 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Your examples do not exhibit true randomness. The butterfly's flapping wings and the particles in a chemical reaction are random to us only because we lack information. There in nothing in principle that says we cannot know these things. If we knew these things, and had the computational power to calculate the effects of physical laws on all particles involved, we can accurately predict the weather, chemical reactions, etc. Accurate weather forecasts is one of the proposed uses for future supercomputers.

It's interesting that you would suggest weather here, because the experience of Lorenz regarding weather is probably the best known item that kicked of chaos theory. Here's one account of it: http://pear.math.pitt.edu/mathzilla/Examples/chaos/studentReports/DanielAnderson.html

Van Neumann was interested in using supercomputers as you suggested, but Lorenz' experience sort of killed the idea, changing the whole approach to trying to predict the weather. It showed that the problem was not having enough information, but that small changes in one are can respond in large changes in another. For example, two drops of water can be right next two each other and fall of a waterfall. One drop goes one way, while the other goes another. There are water eddies which exhibit this type of behavior as well. The problem is not one of simply not having enough information.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: Rosangela] #87000
03/27/07 02:14 AM
03/27/07 02:14 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Unless foreknowledge is a fact in the sense of a TV-rerun, this seems kind of detailed and specific to me.

Daryl, If the future were like a TV rerun, then there could be no risk or danger for God. You can see that, can't you?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: Tom] #87002
03/27/07 02:28 AM
03/27/07 02:28 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Free will means "the freedom of the will to choose a course of action without external coercion but in accordance with the ideals or moral outlook of the individual" (Webster). What you mean is that people are coerced by God's foreknowledge to do things?

This is the compatibilitistic definition. This is not the definition Arminianists use. This is from wikipedia:

Quote:
... suggests that we actually do have free will, and that therefore the future is not determined. For example, at this moment, one could either continue reading this article if one wanted, or cease.(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incompatibilism)

The ... represents "Libertarianism" or "Incompatibilistic free will," which is what SDA's have traditionally believed (having come from an Arminian tradition).

The definition I've been using is that ability to do either of more than one mutually exclusive alternatives. For example, the wikipedia articls says "at this moment, one could either continue reading this article if one wanted, or cease." The compatibilistic definition, that you cited, would says that one is able to do what one wishes to do (either read the article, or not, according to what one wishes).

I'm not getting where your question, "What you mean is that people are coerced by God's foreknowledge to do things?" comes from. I wrote the following:

Quote:
Rosangela:My choice was made having in view the weather, and the fact that God knew if I was going to the beach or not didn’t in any way affect my choice. This should be obvious.

Tom:I know you and MM and Daniel make this point very frequently, but it really has nothing to do with what I've been trying to share. It's a mystery to me why you all keep wanting to make this point.

My point has nothing to do with God's foreknowledge. It has to do with the simple fact that if the future is single-threaded, in that there is only one possible thing that can happen (which is what will happen), then our free will cannot logically mean that we are capable of doing either of several mutually exclusive alternatives. That should be obvious.

This makes it awfully clear that I couldn't possibly mean "that people are coerced by God's foreknowledge to do things," doesn't it?

Aside from this that I've quoted above, I've also made the point many, many, many times that God's foreknowledge does not cause us to do anything. I've also stated many times that this isn't the issue.

Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: Tom] #87003
03/27/07 02:44 AM
03/27/07 02:44 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Tom, you said:

Quote:
God knows the end from the beginning not only, or even primarily, because He foresees what will happen, but because He understands the principles involved.

Isn't this determinism?

"Determinism states that the way things will be is a result of how things are and the work of natural laws. That is only to say that if we know exactly how things are at the present moment and the laws that govern how the world (or the universe) works, then we can derive how things will be at some future time."

This is from a wikipedia article on determinism:

Quote:
Determinism is the philosophical proposition that every event, including human cognition, decision and action, is causally determined by an unbroken chain of prior occurrences.(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Determinism)

I don't believe this is true. This is logically consistent with the idea that the future is like a T.V. rerun, which has been argued by Jonathan Edwards and others. I don't agree with the premise, however. I believe one is able to act different than what has been "programmed." For example, Adam and Lucifer were "programmed" not to sin, yet they chose to sin. This is a mystery, and unexplainable, yet possible because of the reality of free will.

God did not intend or plan for sin to occur, nor did God anything do anything to predispose either Lucifer or Adam to sin, yet they used their free will to sin.

Anyway, to answer your question, determinism doesn't have to do with how one foreknows the future but rather with the question of whether all actions (especially actions of the will) can be explained by previous consequences.

Actually, your question, while interesting, is a bit out of place. You've taken a definition which has to do with physics, but "determinism," in the context I've been using it, has to do with philosophy, which has a different definition for the term than physics uses.

Page 13 of 37 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 36 37

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!