HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,629
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Nadi, 3 invisible), 3,062 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 14 of 37 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 36 37
Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: Tom] #87004
03/27/07 02:54 AM
03/27/07 02:54 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Thomas:If God knows that I will be saved or that I will be lost, that would greatly concern me that if God knows that I will be lost I really cant do or choose anything that would end up in a different end result than in my damnation, or if God knows that I will be saved, I couldnt really do or choose anything that would have a different end result than in my salvation.

Rosangela:God only sees what you will choose, and He died to make this choice possible. It's simple. Choose salvation and you will be saved. Choose it every day and every hour.

But you can't choose to do something which cannot happen! That's Thomas' point! How could Thomas possibly choose to do something different that what God has seen? Thomas may *think* he can choose something different than what God has seen, but he can't, because the logical conclusion is untenable. That is, say God has seen that Thomas will be lost, yet Thomas winds up being saved. Then something God has seen would happen would not have happened, which is not possible. (this whole paragraph is assuming your premise regarding the future, that's it can be seen like a T.V. re-run).

It's as simple as 1, 2, 3.

1)God sees that Thomas will be lost.
2)Everything that God sees will happen, does.
3)Therefore Thomas will be lost.

Thomas may be ignorant regarding his future, ignorantly feeling like he can choose to do either salvation or damnation, but unless you want to open up the possibility of being able to bring into being a reality which is different than what God has foreseen will happen, Thomas cannot do differently than the action that God has foreseen will happen.

Again, I hasten to point out that the problem is not that God has seen what will happen (as if God's seeing what will happen causes it to happen; no one is saying that), but the problem is that there is (supposedly) only one future, and that future is such that if Thomas is lost, then Thomas can do nothing to change that future (just as he can do nothing to change any other future; we can do nothing different than what is known will happen).

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: Tom] #87009
03/27/07 03:44 AM
03/27/07 03:44 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
It showed that the problem was not having enough information, but that small changes in one are can respond in large changes in another.

The precise description is that small variations in initial conditions result in large variations further along the process. Here's the Wiki:
In mathematics and physics, chaos theory describes the behavior of certain nonlinear dynamical systems that under certain conditions exhibit dynamics that are sensitive to initial conditions (popularly referred to as the butterfly effect). As a result of this sensitivity, the behavior of chaotic systems appears to be random, because of an exponential growth of errors in the initial conditions. This happens even though these systems are deterministic in the sense that their future dynamics are well defined by their initial conditions, and there are no random elements involved. This behavior is known as deterministic chaos, or simply chaos.

It seems random because variations in initial conditions are propagated through the system exponentially. But if we eliminate the variations, i.e. measurement errors, the system is deterministic and completely predictable.

For example, two drops of water can be right next two each other and fall of a waterfall. One drop goes one way, while the other goes another. There are water eddies which exhibit this type of behavior as well. The problem is not one of simply not having enough information.

There are only 4 forces that are universally accepted: Gravity, Electromagnetic, Weak, and Strong. Gravity between the water and air molecules is too weak in that scenario to make any difference. The Weak and Strong forces work only at subatomic distances. That leaves us with the Electromagnetic force.

Earth's Gravity and Electromagnetic interaction between the water particles and the air particles determine the path of every drop. If we knew the exact positions and momenta of every particle in the system, we could determine where every drop of water will end up. At that scale, there is nothing random about its behavior. It only seems random because we lack information.

Again, the chaos is due to ignorance of initial conditions combined with exponential growth of the error, leading to vague predictions. The article you linked to said as much.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: Tom] #87012
03/27/07 06:09 AM
03/27/07 06:09 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
there is (supposedly) only one future, and that future is such that if Thomas is lost, then Thomas can do nothing to change that future

With a slight change to your words, it expresses what I believe at this time: There is (supposedly) only one future, and that future is such that if Thomas is lost, then Thomas will do nothing to change that future.

The key is not Thomas' ability, but his choice. Free will speaks of ability; foreknowledge (in the way I think of it) speaks of choice.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: asygo] #87013
03/27/07 07:02 AM
03/27/07 07:02 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
And in either case, my future would be set as if in stone. One theory would be harder on God than the other but none would offer me free will as in "it is my choise to either accept or reject God." Wether I cant do something or I wont do something has implications for some questions, but neither offer me free choise.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: Tom] #87018
03/27/07 11:33 AM
03/27/07 11:33 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
My point has nothing to do with God's foreknowledge. It has to do with the simple fact that if the future is single-threaded, in that there is only one possible thing that can happen (which is what will happen), then our free will cannot logically mean that we are capable of doing either of several mutually exclusive alternatives. That should be obvious.

This makes it awfully clear that I couldn't possibly mean "that people are coerced by God's foreknowledge to do things," doesn't it?

Aside from this that I've quoted above, I've also made the point many, many, many times that God's foreknowledge does not cause us to do anything. I've also stated many times that this isn't the issue.

Tom, sorry, but I’m not understanding the point you are trying to make. I’m free to obey or disobey God. If God knows that I’m going to disobey Him, what is your contention? That I’ve never really had the alternative to obey Him?

Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: vastergotland] #87019
03/27/07 11:59 AM
03/27/07 11:59 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
And in either case, my future would be set as if in stone. One theory would be harder on God than the other but none would offer me free will as in "it is my choise to either accept or reject God." Wether I cant do something or I wont do something has implications for some questions, but neither offer me free choise.

Thomas,

Are temptations real or not? Have you ever felt the force of temptation? If God knows that you will be victorious over temptation, does this mean you didn't have the choice to do wrong? If you didn't have the choice to do wrong, how could you feel the force of temptation? How could there be any real struggle?

Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: Rosangela] #87022
03/27/07 01:06 PM
03/27/07 01:06 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
 Originally Posted By: Rosangela
 Quote:

Thomas,

Are temptations real or not? Have you ever felt the force of temptation? If God knows that you will be victorious over temptation, does this mean you didn't have the choice to do wrong? If you didn't have the choice to do wrong, how could you feel the force of temptation? How could there be any real struggle?
Temptations are real, and yes, sometimes they are very persuasive.

You ask: If God knows that you will be victorious over temptation, does this mean you didn't have the choice to do wrong?
-In such a situation as this, if I do wrong, Gods knowledge would prove to be a lie. We dont want to go there do we?

You ask: If you didn't have the choice to do wrong, how could you feel the force of temptation?
-I have heard that a person that is on a drug high can be entierly convinced of things which have no connection to the real world. Pink elephants, having the capacity to fly, fear of being hunted and so on. The Matrix all over again.
But if I do have the choise to do either right or wrong, then this is no problem, is it?

You ask: How could there be any real struggle?
-Indeed, how could there?

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: vastergotland] #87027
03/27/07 02:47 PM
03/27/07 02:47 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Tom, sorry, but I’m not understanding the point you are trying to make. I’m free to obey or disobey God. If God knows that I’m going to disobey Him, what is your contention? That I’ve never really had the alternative to obey Him?

If the future is such that only one thing can happen (the thing which will happen, the thing which God sees), then you are not free to do anything different than what will happen. You may *feel* like you are free to make a different choice, but you can't actually do anything different than what is known will happen (this is using the one-threaded future model, which can be seen like a T.V. rerun).

Your "freedom" is really ignorance. You *think* you can do either of A or B, but if it is known with 100% certainty (the fact that God knows what you will do is immaterial; the important point is that it is known, or knowable) that you will do A, then your thinking you might do B or could do B is just ignorance.

The definition you quoted from Webster's was a compabibilistic definition of free will, which basically stated that you are free to do what you choose to do. This definition avoids the logical problem which comes of asserting that free will implies one can actually do either of A or B (not just do the action one wishes to do, but actually do either of several mutually exclusive actions).

What I've been pointing out is that the future-is-like-a-TV-rerun model is not logically consistent with the view of free will SDA's have traditionally held that one is free, not simply to do what one wishes, but to do either of more than one mutually exclusive alternatives (the latter being a stronger definition).

To put it in less technical terms, you come to a road which forks. You can go either right or left. The definition of free will you quoted says you are free to go right if you choose to go right. The definition of free will I've been using (the traditional SDA one) says that you can actually go either right or left.

Now if it is known that you will go left, then you can't go right (not because of a physical constraint, but a logical one). You can't logically do something different than that which is with 100% certainty known will happen.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: Tom] #87028
03/27/07 02:56 PM
03/27/07 02:56 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
With a slight change to your words, it expresses what I believe at this time: There is (supposedly) only one future, and that future is such that if Thomas is lost, then Thomas will do nothing to change that future.

This doesn't express the logical problem strongly enough. It is not simply that case that Thomas *won't* do something to change the future, but he *can't*.

It's not possible that Thomas could do something different than what God has known for all eternity with 100% certainty will happen, correct?

What passes in Thomas' mind as free will is in reality just ignorance.

Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: Tom] #87040
03/27/07 04:49 PM
03/27/07 04:49 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Quote:

This doesn't express the logical problem strongly enough. It is not simply that case that Thomas *won't* do something to change the future, but he *can't*.

I guess that's why I don't see a logical problem. There is none, in my mind.

As I see it, the case is *won't*, not *can't*.

It's not possible that Thomas could do something different than what God has known for all eternity with 100% certainty will happen, correct?

Right. Because the will is the governing power in the nature of man, you cannot do what you will not do. But the inability is not inherent in nature, nor is it dictated by God's foreknowledge; it is determined by Thomas' free will choice.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Page 14 of 37 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 36 37

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!