HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,628
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, Nadi, 3 invisible), 3,156 guests, and 11 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 15 of 103 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 102 103
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #87232
03/29/07 08:51 PM
03/29/07 08:51 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
This discussion has been going on for centuries, and it's obvious that we won't resolve it. It's also obvious that we won't agree.

But, speaking of redefining words, the word "foreknowledge" means "knowledge of something before it happens or exists." It's not guessing; it's not a tentative prediction, like that of a weather forecast; it's not an analysis of several possible alternatives that may happen. The Greek word is prognosis, beforehand knowledge.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Rosangela] #87233
03/29/07 09:10 PM
03/29/07 09:10 PM
Kevin H  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2024

New York
 Originally Posted By: Rosangela
If all prophecies are conditional, so were those which spoke of Christ's first coming, and so are those which speak of Christ's second coming, and the millennium, and the new earth, and no second rise of sin.

Becareful Rosangela, this and your continuing comments on this is getting very close to accusing Deuteronomy and Ellen White and the SDA Bible Commentary of lieing.

I understand that the argument on God's foresight is being debated here, and I hope that I've made it clear that I believe in the infinite God not being limited to time and space, and that God transends time and space and knows the end from the begining.

As to this specific group of questions: Prophecies of Christ's first coming included both the land and exile theology threads of Deuteronomy, and the royal threads in say the Psalms. Yes, Jesus could have come as the litteral king ruling from a palace in Jerusalem. Yes, young Daniel fully expected to see Jesus come and to lead like a second Moses, a great exoduse from Babylon. The older Daniel had a different understanding which broke his heart, but there was no need to there to be a first and second coming, Jesus could have done it all when he first came. Now God knew what would happen, but the prophecys were given with the possibility for it to be fulfilled earlier.

The condition for the second coming include "IF I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again." and "When the gospel of this kingdom is preached to all the world THEN the end shall come" Jesus predicted his second coming to be connected to the fall of the temple, AD 70. Paul said that the gospel had been preached into all the world, but in Romans he also said that he would like to bring the gospel to Spain... Paul did not see Spain as part of the world where the gospel needed to be preached, but that it would be nice to bring it to places outside of what he and the disciples understood as "The World" probably as the Jewish world.

Hebrews and Revelation deal with the great dissapointment of AD 70, Hebrews pointing to the heavenly ministry of Jesus, and Revelation saying "Yes, but don't be so focused on Jesus heavenly ministry that you forget that he is coming again, you lost your first love, you need to preach again" and discribes what could have happened durring the persecution of the current emperor Domatian (Spelling?) if the church was willing to be martyered in the persecution but boldly preach again.

Yes, the Millennium could have been for ONLY the martyrs of the Nero-Domitan, with the rest of us rising at the end of the thousand years. By analogy and that the conditions for the second coming to occure during the Domitan persecution were not fulfilled, Mrs. White mixes John's special resurection for specific martyrs with Paul's general resurection for the righteous of all ages and thus have us rise with John's martyers of his day.

Also in Greek, the term "Thousand years" did not mean a set number, but only "As much time as needed" for a situation. No rushing, but taking plenty of time to take care of an issue. Thus it is a conditional term to start with. And again it is to give enough time so that sin will not rise again. The extra time before Jesus comes is also to give us the evidence we need to fulfill the contitions for sin to not rise up again. We know it well enough to not want to be burned by it again.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Kevin H] #87235
03/29/07 10:32 PM
03/29/07 10:32 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
This discussion has been going on for centuries, and it's obvious that we won't resolve it. It's also obvious that we won't agree.

But, speaking of redefining words, the word "foreknowledge" means "knowledge of something before it happens or exists." It's not guessing; it's not a tentative prediction, like that of a weather forecast; it's not an analysis of several possible alternatives that may happen. The Greek word is prognosis, beforehand knowledge.

I was going to mention on the last post that I appreciate your carrying on a conversation. I have no aspirations of your changing your mind, as to the best of my recollection in our years of discussions, you never have (at least in relation to anything I've written). However, by reading your explanations, I may get some idea of how you are thinking, which I would be very pleased to understand. So far I'm not getting it, I'm afraid. It's so obvious, to me anyway (I would think to anyone) what "risk of failure and eternal loss" means, as well as "all heaven was imperiled for our redemption" that I'm just not able to conceive of how you could fit these phrases with the concept of 100% certainty, when these are such polar opposites.

At any rate, I agree that foreknowledge means knowledge of something before it happens, I just disagree as to the nature of that something. You see the future as a single-threaded thing, a thing which must happen. I believe it's more complex than that, comprised in part of certainties, but also of things that are uncertain, decisions to be made by self-determining creatures which are not yet realities, but possibilities.

When God looks into the future, He sees it as it is, which is a complex web of yet to occur actions. He doesn't see it as a movie or T.V. rerun, as the statements such as "God sent His Son at the risk of failure and eternal loss" "All heaven was imperiled for our redemption" "It is our privilege not only to look for but to hasten" Christ's future make clear. These statements simply don't fit with a T.V. rerun future. I haven't even seen any effort to explain these statements, other then the idea that words such as "risk" "imperiled" and "hasten" don't mean what we would understand them to ordinarily mean, an argument which, it seems clear to me, would make it possible to interpret any statement in any way which one would choose to do.

Anyway, I'll end again with thanking you for participating in the dialog. Maybe some time I'll get it (your way of thinking).

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #87236
03/29/07 10:34 PM
03/29/07 10:34 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Also in Greek, the term "Thousand years" did not mean a set number, but only "As much time as needed" for a situation. No rushing, but taking plenty of time to take care of an issue. Thus it is a conditional term to start with.

I'm interested in this. Could you provide some back up, or more information on this thought. The reason I'm asking is a friend of mine has discussed this idea with me, but we were not aware of the linguistic point you are making.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Kevin H] #87267
03/30/07 03:06 PM
03/30/07 03:06 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Kevin,
I’ve never accused the SDABC of lying (although I sometimes disagree with it), much less the Bible and Ellen White. What I disagree with is the interpretation some give to them, and by the way, I disagree with yours.

No, Jesus could not have come as the literal king ruling from a palace in Jerusalem.

“None of the people, not even the disciples, understood the nature of Christ's kingdom. … They seemed unable to believe that he would not sit on David's throne, that he would not take the scepter, and reign as a temporal prince in Jerusalem. Words true and full of significance when rightly placed are misleading when misapplied. The utterances of the prophet describing the second appearing of Christ were applied by the Jewish teachers to his first advent. The description of Christ's second coming is true, but this truth, tho beautiful and grand, could not be made to harmonize with his first coming. The word was true, but it was truth placed in the wrong setting.” {ST, July 1, 1897 par. 6,7}

“The leaders in Israel professed to understand the prophecies, but they had received false ideas in regard to the manner of Christ's coming. Satan had deceived them; and all the glories of Christ's second advent they applied to his first appearing. All the wonderful events clustering around his second coming, they looked for at his first. Therefore, when he came, they were not prepared to receive him." {RH, September 5, 1899 par. 5}

Yes, there was a need for a first and a second coming, and no, Jesus could have done it all when He first came.

Jesus did not predict His second coming to be connected to the fall of the temple in AD 70, but, instead, “blended the description of the two great crises, leaving the disciples to study out the meaning for themselves. When He referred to the destruction of Jerusalem, His prophetic words reached beyond that event to the final conflagration in that day when the Lord shall rise out of His place to punish the world for their iniquity, when the earth shall disclose her blood, and shall no more cover her slain. This entire discourse was given, not for the disciples only, but for those who should live in the last scenes of this earth's history” (DA 627).

And no, the millennium could NOT have been only for the martyrs of the Nero-Domitian persecution, with the rest of us rising at the end of the thousand years. Would Satan have been bound during all this time? Where?

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Rosangela] #87272
03/30/07 04:13 PM
03/30/07 04:13 PM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Rosangela, Kevin is arguing that had things been different, a different result would have occurred. Quoting from Ellen White doesn't address Kevin's issues, unless Ellen White is addressing the same hypothetical issue Kevin is.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Rosangela] #87282
03/30/07 08:54 PM
03/30/07 08:54 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: Rosangela
Christ's risk was real because His struggle with temptation was real and, therefore, the danger was real. Suppose you are going to cross the Niagara Falls on a tight rope, and suppose God reveals to you beforehand that your efforts will be successful. Does this mean that there won't be any danger in your crossing? Does this mean that you won't have to occasionally make an extrordinary effort to not fall? Does this mean that you can relax and don't need to watch your steps at every second of that crossing? So I see risk in relation to the degree of danger to which you were exposed, not in relation to the final result.

And yes, I believe the timing of Christ's coming is 100% certain, because God already knows when His church will be ready for His appearing. This doesn't mean that the church could not have been ready before.

Tom, I totally agree with what Rosangela posted. As you can see, I am not the only one who believes it.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Tom] #87286
03/30/07 10:55 PM
03/30/07 10:55 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Tom,

Ellen White does address the issue. She says that had the Jews fulfilled God's plan, they would have prepared the world for Christ's first coming (PK 703, 704). But of course Christ would have come in exactly the same way - as a great Teacher, to die for our sins - not as a King. Since she says that they would have prepared the world for Christ's first coming, of course there would have been a second coming, for which the role of Christ as King was reserved.

As to Christ's second coming in 70 AD, she is clear that that couldn't have been the case, for she says that, at the time Christ spoke on the Mount of Olives, in mercy to the disciples He blended the description of Jerusalem's destruction with the description of the end of the world, because they weren't prepared to know that so many years would transpire between the two events.

Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Rosangela] #87287
03/30/07 11:15 PM
03/30/07 11:15 PM
Daryl  Offline

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Taking the 2300 day/year prophecy into consideration, Christ couldn't have come the 2nd time prior to 1844.

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: How Can a Person Know if a Prophecy is Conditional or Unconditional? - Part 2 [Re: Daryl] #87299
03/31/07 01:35 AM
03/31/07 01:35 AM
Tom  Offline OP
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it.

Page 15 of 103 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 102 103

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!