HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,629
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, Nadi, 2 invisible), 2,967 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 20 of 37 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 36 37
Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: Rosangela] #87690
04/08/07 06:40 PM
04/08/07 06:40 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:
MM: Again, God foresaw the fall of Lucifer and Adam and yet it did not deter Him from carrying out His eternal purpose. She does not say, as you believe, that God foresaw the possibility of Lucifer and Adam sinning. Her wording is too clear to misunderstand.

TE: This just makes it worse! You are claiming that God foresaw with certainty that Lucifer would certainly sin. Yet God, who was under no duress, chose to create Lucifer anyway, when He could have chosen not to, thus preventing sin from existing. So, by this theory of yours, sin came into being because of the free will act of God to create a being who would certainly sin.

“…this theory of yours …” What do you mean? Have you never read the following quotes? Obviously it is not my theory.

DA 22
From the beginning, God and Christ knew of the apostasy of Satan, and of the fall of man through the deceptive power of the apostate. God did not ordain that sin should exist, but He foresaw its existence, and made provision to meet the terrible emergency. {DA 22.2}

AG 129
But the defection of man, with all its consequences, was not hidden from the Omnipotent, and yet it did not deter Him from carrying out His eternal purpose; for the Lord would establish His throne in righteousness. God knows the end from the beginning. {AG 129.2}

Quote:
MM: Tom, you are mismatching quotes. The risk concept she introduced has nothing to do with God’s foreknowledge. You are comparing apples and oranges. You are forcing her risk concept to mean something it doesn’t.

TE: This is just simple logic, MM. When I commented earlier that God's foreseeing something would happen meant this it was 100% certain to happen, you said, "Amen!". Now if something is certain to happen, there can be no risk that it will not happen. So if Ellen White's statement is true, that God sent His Son at the risk of failure and eternal loss (a "more fearful risk" she calls it), or if her statement that "heaven itself was imperiled," then you idea simply cannot be true. Under you way of seeing things, it cannot be the case that heaven was under any danger whatsoever. I do not see how you could possible believe this was the case (that heaven was in danger). Right? If not (that is, you believe heaven was in danger), what danger was it in?

Let’s look at it from a different angle. God knows the end from beginning. For example, He knows the USA is going to influence the rest of the world to enforce resting on Sunday and working on Saturday. He knows there will be many martyrs. But after probation closes He knows none of the 144,000 is going to die. Does God's foreknowledge of their success mean there is no risk, no peril, no danger?

Quote:
MM: But God’s knowledge of the future is based on His ability to know the future like the past, like a rerun. He “inhabits eternity”. The future and the past for God are essentially one and the same thing. You are right, His perspective does not change the future, not any more than your perspective of the past changes the past.

God is not bound by time and space in the same way we are. He can jump ahead and look back on the future. He has already watched it play out. Do you see how this does not alter the nature or the essence of the future as we know it, as we experience it?

From our point of view the future is unknown. It hasn’t happened yet. Our lack of knowledge does nothing to change the nature or essence of the future. As such, the essence of the future is that it is unknown. It is nothing, it hasn’t happened yet, it doesn’t exist. It is a blank page. That’s its nature, its essence.

But from God’s point of view the future has already happened. From His point of view we are talking about the past, not the future. Thus, your concerns about the essence of the future do not apply. Why? Because we are talking about the past, not the future. From God’s point of view the “future” as we know it is known, it has happened already, it has an existence, it is not a blank page, therefore, it is not the “future” as we know it.

TE: You're contradicting yourself here. On the one hand, you agree with me that one's knowledge of a thing does not change its essence. But on the other, you assert:

a)The future is unknown. That is its essence.
b)The future is nothing.
c)The future is just like the past.
d)It is not a blank page.

a) and b) are from our perspective. c) and d) are from God's. So on the one hand, you agree with me that the essence of the future does not change because of one's knowledge of it, but on the other, the future is completely different, even its essence, depending upon one's perspective of it.

But we’re not talking about the future. We are talking about the past. When God tells us what is going to happen, He is telling what has already happened. He jumped ahead in time and watched it play out. He is simply reporting on the past. Do you see the difference?

Quote:
TE: “He doesn’t tells us, 'Now, this or that could happen.’” I refuted this by showing you examples which disproved your assertion. I have requested that rather than move on to some other point, that you recognize your assertion was false. Rather than do this, you chose to move on to some other point. So I will once again request that you recognize your assertion was false. *Then* you can move on to some other point.

That’s not what I meant. What I meant was – God does not tells us, “This or that could happen, but I cannot say ahead of time exactly how it will play out because, frankly, I do not know." Do you see the difference?

Quote:
TE: MM, if you don't understand what "risk" means, just look it up! Here: (Webster)

MM: Webster’s definition of “risk” does not prove that Sister White introduced the concept of risk to prove or to imply God does not know in advance precisely what will happen. Just because God knew Jesus would succeed on the cross it does not mean the “risk” Jesus took wasn’t real. But Jesus never came close to failing. “…but not for one moment was there in Him an evil propensity.” (FLB 49)

The fact Jesus never came close to failing indicates that although the risk was real it never truly posed a threat. It didn’t cause anyone in heaven to wring their hands hoping Jesus wouldn’t fail. It wasn’t a cliffhanger. Again, Jesus didn’t barely succeed. He didn’t succeed by a narrow margin. In fact, there is nothing to suggest that He almost failed. Jesus succeeded with flying colors, which proves that although the risk was real it never threatened to unseat Him, it never had a chance against Him.

Do you see what I mean?

Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: Mountain Man] #87696
04/08/07 07:39 PM
04/08/07 07:39 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Tom,

You seem to thrive on the "risk" aspect of the EGW quotes, but ignore the clear "alike" in reference to the past, present, and future in the following quote:

Quote:

I AM means an eternal presence; the past, present, and future are alike with God. He sees the most remote events of past history and the far distant future with as clear a vision as we do those things which are transpiring daily. We know not what is before us, and if we did, it would not contribute to our eternal welfare. God gives us an opportunity to exercise faith and trust in the great I AM. . . . Our Saviour says, "Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day: and he saw it, and was glad" (John 8:56). Fifteen hundred years before Christ laid off His royal robe, His kingly crown, and left His position of honor in the heavenly courts, assumed humanity, and walked a man among the children of men, Abraham saw His day, and was glad. "Then said the Jews unto him, Thou art not yet fifty years old, and hast thou seen Abraham? Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am" (verses 57, 58). . . . {TMK 12.2}

Why is that, Tom?

I would call that selective quoting in which you ignore one quote in favour of the other as it goes contrary to your belief system.

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: Daryl] #87697
04/08/07 07:41 PM
04/08/07 07:41 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
It seems that we have more than one topic in which the same thing is being discussed, which is why I repeated my previous post here.

I am not sure how we can get around this duplication, however, until I do, it seems we will need to live with it. \:\)

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: Rosangela] #87709
04/09/07 12:40 AM
04/09/07 12:40 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
The very words danger or peril also refer to the degree of threat to which one is exposed. You are considering just the possibility of a certain final result to occur. When I jumped into the water I was exposed to danger and peril. My life was threatened, although the final result of death did not occur.

If there was no possibility of harm, you were in no danger. The degree of threat would be none. You were only exposed to danger and peril if there was some possibility of an unsuccessful outcome.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: Tom] #87710
04/09/07 12:45 AM
04/09/07 12:45 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Daryl, I don't see anything in the quote which goes against my belief system. I am considering all the quotes. For example, consider the following quote:

Quote:
The heart of the human father yearns over his son. He looks into the face of his little child, and trembles at the thought of life's peril. He longs to shield his dear one from Satan's power, to hold him back from temptation and conflict. To meet a bitterer conflict and a more fearful risk, God gave His only-begotten Son, that the path of life might be made sure for our little ones. "Herein is love." Wonder, O heavens! and be astonished, O earth! (DA 49)

Here is see that God sent His Son at a risk, which is compared to the risk that a human father feels for his son. The risk that God took is described as "a more fearful risk."

This seems to clear to me, that I must take it into account when considering every other comment she made on the subject. Elsewhere she writes that heaven itself was imperiled. Also clear. This means there was a possibility of failure. This also agrees with her writing that Christ "could have sinned. He could have fallen." It also agrees with her having corrected Waggoner when Waggoner made arguments similar to those being made here that Christ could not have failed. Ellen White repeated taught that He could. So all the evidence points in one way.

Regarding the quote you mentioned, it is speaking to the clarity with which God sees the future. She is not intending that it should be taken in a way which would contradict what she has written elsewhere.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: Tom] #87717
04/09/07 10:55 AM
04/09/07 10:55 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
Tom,

Only if Christ had come as God, would He have no possibility of sinning. As a human being, He had during His whole life the possibility of sinning. Otherwise He wouldn't be human and wouldn't be a free moral agent. The fact that God knew beforehand that He would be victorious with heaven's help doesn't mean He had no possibility of sinning. Saying that He had no possibility of sinning would make Him something else than human.

The fact that God knows if I will choose perdition doesn't mean that choosing salvation has ever ceased to be, for a single moment, a possibility for me.

That Christ foreknew His victory is something Ellen White makes clear:

"Ages before His incarnation, Christ distinctly chose His position. He foresaw His life of humiliation, His rejection and crucifixion, His victory over satanic agencies, His victory over death and the grave. He saw the world flooded with light and life, and heard the song of triumph sung by the millions rescued from the hold of Satan." {1NL 41.7}

Genesis 3:15 I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your seed and her seed; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heel."

Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: Rosangela] #87718
04/09/07 11:38 AM
04/09/07 11:38 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
I would like to point out that you are being completely unrealistic in relation to this subject of risk. If I am in the middle of a gunfight and, to protect my son, I jump in front of him and I'm hit by two bullets that should hit him. Suppose I had had a dream in the previous night revealing that this would happen and that I would survive. Does this mean that I didn't risk my life to save my son? Does this mean that my life wasn't imperiled? I will go to the hospital, they will have to perform a cardiopulmonary resuscitation, I will have to undergo a surgery, and there was no threat to my life? I simply disagree with you.

Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: Rosangela] #87719
04/09/07 01:29 PM
04/09/07 01:29 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Rosangela, perhaps we're at an impasse.

"Risk" and "danger" have to do with probability. The definition of risk is the possibility of loss. The definition of danger is the possibility of harm.

Please explain to me how, according to how you see things, that "heaven itself was imperiled." I don't understand how that can be a possibility, given your presuppositions.

I asked MM if, given that God knows with 100% certainty that an event will occur, then it follows that the event will certainly occur. He agreed to this. I can't remember if you agree with this as well.

Assuming you do, then do you see that it follows that the risk of the given event not occurring is 0?

Therefore if God knows with 100% certainty that X will occur, the risk of X not occurring is 0.

This is completely straightforward logic.

Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: Tom] #87720
04/09/07 01:44 PM
04/09/07 01:44 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
That's the point. I don't consider that the word "risk" means only the possible occurrence of a given event, but also the threat posed for the occurrence of that event.
So you see "risk" in terms of my death occurring or not occurring, while I see "risk" in terms of the things I am exposed to that might cause my death. In the example given I consider I did risk my life to save my son, independently of my death occurring or not, and independently of my knowing if my death will occur or not.

Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: Rosangela] #87722
04/09/07 02:38 PM
04/09/07 02:38 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
The important factor, as far as risk is concerned, is not whether your death occurred or not, or your knowledge of the event, but whether or not is was possible for you to die. If it was possible for your to die, then you risked your life. If it was not possible for you to die, then you didn't.

Page 20 of 37 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 36 37

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!