HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,597
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, 1 invisible), 3,252 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 20 of 26 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 25 26
Re: What if Jesus had failed? [Re: Darius] #87969
04/17/07 01:39 PM
04/17/07 01:39 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
There are some things that Christ didn't know while here on earth in His humanity. At that time Christ, for example, didn't know the hour of His second coming. He said only the Father knew that.

Quote:

Matthew 24:36 But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.

The key words are "but my Father only."

This would tell me that the Father knew even then, even before Gethsemane and Calvary, the day and the hour of the second coming of Christ. If Christ would have failed, then how could this be? The answer is simply that Christ could have failed, however, the Father saw that Christ wouldn't fail. I am stressing the Father, as Christ while on this earth in His humanity may also not have known this in the same way that Christ also didn't then know the day and the hour of His own second coming.

On another note, Christ spoke with certainty in regards to the whole plan of salvation and in regards to His second coming. I do not see any implication of risk or uncertainty in any of His words that are recorded in the Bible.

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Reply Quote
Re: What if Jesus had failed? [Re: Tom] #87970
04/17/07 02:04 PM
04/17/07 02:04 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
The awful moment had come--that moment which was to decide the destiny of the world. The fate of humanity trembled in the balance. (DA 692)

Under the scenario you are suggesting, Daryl, how could it possible be said that the fate of humanity trembled in the balance? Something which "trembles in the balance" is something which uncertain, something to which doubt pertains, not something certain.

I’ve asked this before, but... If Christ is "the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world," how is it that the fate of humanity still trembled in the balance in the Gethsemane? Even if this referred just to Christ's decision when man sinned, in which way could Christ's decision have been "uncertain"? In which way could it have been "something to which doubt pertains"?

Tom, supposing that the future for God was like a TV rerun, how could this have diminished the fierceness of the battle between Christ and Satan on this earth? If it couldn't have diminished the fierceness of the battle, and if Christ was vulnerable to Satan's attacks (and He was, otherwise the temptations would have been a farce), how could there be no threat posed to Christ?

Reply Quote
Re: What if Jesus had failed? [Re: Tom] #87971
04/17/07 02:15 PM
04/17/07 02:15 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
When the angel said it was a struggle for God as to whether or not to allow Christ to come, the meaning is not simply that God suffered in making the decision, but *that the decision was in doubt.*

Tom, this is speculation.

Reply Quote
Re: What if Jesus had failed? [Re: Rosangela] #87973
04/17/07 02:57 PM
04/17/07 02:57 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Yes, it is pure speculation on Tom's part as I see nothing in that quote, which I have now quoted here.

Quote:

Said the angel, "Think ye that the Father yielded up His dearly beloved Son without a struggle? No, no." It was even a struggle with the God of heaven, whether to let guilty man perish, or to give His darling Son to die for them. Angels were so interested for man's salvation that there could be found among them those who would yield their glory and give their life for perishing man. "But," said my accompanying angel, "that would avail nothing." The transgression was so great that an angel's life would not pay the debt. Nothing but the death and intercession of God's Son would pay the debt and save lost man from hopeless sorrow and misery. {EW 127.1}

I see nothing of risk here, however, I do see a struggle on the Father's part as to whether or not to put His Son through such pain, suffering, and sacrifice.

How does God's foreknowledge come into play here, Tom, or others may ask? That was probably the main part of the struggle, as the Father saw what Christ would go through for the human race. Even though the Father knew that He would consent to this, nevertheless, there was still a struggle on the Father's part to give such consent.

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Reply Quote
Re: What if Jesus had failed? [Re: Tom] #87982
04/17/07 03:33 PM
04/17/07 03:33 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:
Tom, show me one Bible text where God says, "I'm not sure if Jesus will fail or succeed on the cross."

TE: Are you talking about avoiding the rhetorical question? I'm avoiding it because it's rhetorical. I asked you to explain why you were asking it (I would answer it if you provided some evidence it's not rhetorical), but you didn't answer.

MM: Are you labeling my question "rhetorical" because you agree with with me that God nowhere said such a thing? If so, then how can you defend a position that is unbiblical?

TE: Regarding the assertions, "He could have sinned. He could have fallen," your suggestion that this means only that Christ had the ability to sin doesn't work for a couple of reasons. First of all, the context of her statements, when she says such things, is always one of "this is something which really could have happened," not one of Christ's having some given physical ability.

MM: I agree. Jesus really could have sinned - but He didn't. Her comment was made 2,000 years after Jesus succeeded on the cross, so you cannot use it to prove Jesus almost sinned, that He barely succeeded. If that's not what you're saying then what are you saying?

TE: Secondly, when Waggoner argued that Christ could not fail, using arguments very similar to the ones being used here, Ellen White corrected him, explaining that Christ could have failed. The issue was never one of physical ability; even unfallen Adam possessed the physical ability to sin. The issue is the reality of the conflict that Christ faced; the reality of the danger, of the risk. This is why she used expressions such as "more fearful risk," "risk of failure and eternal loss," "heaven itself was imperiled" and so forth.

MM: Again, Tom, her risk statements were not intended to prove that God had no idea if Jesus wold fail or succeed on the cross. You are stretching it to mean something it doesn't say.

TE: Actually, for her to make the statement that Christ had the ability to sin would have been pointless. Certainly to make an issue out of this would have been pointless, as this has never been under dispute.

MM: I disagree.

TE: That is, when Ellen White corrected Waggoner, it could not have been to straighten him out regarding Christ having the physical ability to sin, because Waggoner wasn't arguing that point. Her correction has to be in the context of something Waggoner was actually saying. Do you follow this? If not, I can try to explain it in more detail.

MM: Jesus possessed the ability to sin. No one is arguing against this fact. Since Jesus never even got close to failing what good does it do us to know Jesus could have sinned, that the risk was real? I am very convinced that Jesus' ordeal was beyond human comprehension. But I know He succeeded with flying colors. He did not barely make it, as you seem to be implying.

You are also arguing it means God didn't know if Jesus would fail or succeed on the cross. Which is an unwarranted jump to conclusion.

Reply Quote
Re: What if Jesus had failed? [Re: Mountain Man] #87986
04/17/07 03:38 PM
04/17/07 03:38 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM: Are you labeling my question "rhetorical" because you agree with with me that God nowhere said such a thing? If so, then how can you defend a position that is unbiblical?

You are making, to my view, an exceedingly odd argument here. I presented something from the Spirit of Prophecy, with which you disagree, which is "Christ could have sinned. He could have fallen." You are arguing that this is "unbiblical" because God never said this in Scripture.

This is what you're doing, isn't it? If it's not, would you please explain what you are doing. Before responding, I want to make sure I'm understanding your argument correctly.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: What if Jesus had failed? [Re: Tom] #87987
04/17/07 03:44 PM
04/17/07 03:44 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
TE: Regarding the assertions, "He could have sinned. He could have fallen," your suggestion that this means only that Christ had the ability to sin doesn't work for a couple of reasons. First of all, the context of her statements, when she says such things, is always one of "this is something which really could have happened," not one of Christ's having some given physical ability.

MM: I agree. Jesus really could have sinned - but He didn't. Her comment was made 2,000 years after Jesus succeeded on the cross, so you cannot use it to prove Jesus almost sinned, that He barely succeeded. If that's not what you're saying then what are you saying?

It's irrelevant when she wrote it. Truth does not change with time. She wrote that Christ "could have sinned." She didn't write that He "almost sinned" or "barely succeeded." What I'm saying is just what she said. I don't know why you are wishing to change her words. She wrote:

a)God sent His Son at the risk of failure and eternal loss. This is described as a "more fearful risk," then earthly parents take when there children are born into the world.
b)Christ could have sinned. He could have fallen.
c)Heaven itself was imperiled for our redemption.

This is what I've been saying, every word of which is not original to me.

Quote:
MM: Again, Tom, her risk statements were not intended to prove that God had no idea if Jesus wold fail or succeed on the cross. You are stretching it to mean something it doesn't say.

It would be helpful if you would refrain from changing the words and expressions being used. She didn't write that God "had not idea" but that God "sent His Son at the risk of failure and eternal lost." I'm not stretching this to mean anything different than what it actually says.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: What if Jesus had failed? [Re: Tom] #87989
04/17/07 03:54 PM
04/17/07 03:54 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
TE: Actually, for her to make the statement that Christ had the ability to sin would have been pointless. Certainly to make an issue out of this would have been pointless, as this has never been under dispute.

MM: I disagree.

You have not basis for doing so. When she corrected people, it was because of things they actually believed, not that they didn't believe. Waggoner did not believe Christ was physically unable to sin. He never argued that. He argued from a logical standpoint, using argument similar to the ones in these posts. You cannot construe her corrections to mean that Christ had the physical ability to sin, because that was never a point under discussion.

You write, "I disagree," but given no reason why. This is an entirely sound argument I am presenting.

TE: That is, when Ellen White corrected Waggoner, it could not have been to straighten him out regarding Christ having the physical ability to sin, because Waggoner wasn't arguing that point. Her correction has to be in the context of something Waggoner was actually saying. Do you follow this? If not, I can try to explain it in more detail.

MM: Jesus possessed the ability to sin. No one is arguing against this fact. Since Jesus never even got close to failing what good does it do us to know Jesus could have sinned, that the risk was real?

If you will read her statements in DA 49, DA 131 and COL 196 you will see what good it does it, as she plainly explains it. Look at the end of the respective paragraphs, and you will see the reason.

I am very convinced that Jesus' ordeal was beyond human comprehension. But I know He succeeded with flying colors. He did not barely make it, as you seem to be implying.

You're reading things into her words she did not intend.

You are also arguing it means God didn't know if Jesus would fail or succeed on the cross. Which is an unwarranted jump to conclusion.

I don't know why this logic is hard to follow. I'll try again.

a)If God knows something will happen with 100% certainty, then it will certainly happen.
b)If something will certainly happen, then no risk can be said to attach to it.

The word "risk," means the possibility of loss. If there is no possibility of loss, there is no risk.

When Ellen White wrote that God sent His Son at the risk of failure and eternal loss, this means there was the possibility that Christ would not succeed. This is further substantiated by her writing, "Christ could have sinned. He could have fallen."

There is no unwarranted logic here.

Reply Quote
Re: What if Jesus had failed? [Re: Tom] #88091
04/22/07 03:11 PM
04/22/07 03:11 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:
MM: You are also arguing it means God didn't know if Jesus would fail or succeed on the cross. Which is an unwarranted jump to conclusion.

TE: I don't know why this logic is hard to follow. I'll try again.

a)If God knows something will happen with 100% certainty, then it will certainly happen.
b)If something will certainly happen, then no risk can be said to attach to it.

The word "risk," means the possibility of loss. If there is no possibility of loss, there is no risk.

When Ellen White wrote that God sent His Son at the risk of failure and eternal loss, this means there was the possibility that Christ would not succeed. This is further substantiated by her writing, "Christ could have sinned. He could have fallen."

There is no unwarranted logic here.

Tom, please quote where an inspired writer wrote that God did not know ahead of time if Jesus would fail or succeed on the cross. Nothing you have quoted so far says God did not know. Please show us where Jesus was close to failing, where He almost sinned; something that justifies saying God did not know. If no such quotes exist, then why are you insisting the risk Jesus took means God did not know ahead of time if Jesus fail or succeed?

Reply Quote
Re: What if Jesus had failed? [Re: Mountain Man] #88100
04/22/07 08:45 PM
04/22/07 08:45 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
If you read the accounts of "Gethsemane" and "Calvary" in "The Desire of Ages" you can see how terrific the struggle was. EGW writes that the fate of humanity hung in the balance. She writes that "heaven itself" was imperiled.

As I've pointed out many times, "risk" means "the possibility of loss." This is further emphasized in EGW's phrase "the risk of failure and eternal loss." So when she wrote that "God sent His Son at the risk of failure and eternal loss" that means that it was possible for Christ to have suffered failure and eternal loss.

Given that if God knows with 100% certainty that something will happen implies that the given thing is 100% certain to happen, it cannot be the case that God knew with 100% certainty that Christ would not fail, or else God could not have revealed to us that He sent His Son at the risk of failure and eternal loss.

Can you explain to me which part of the logic here you're having difficulties with? I'll spell it out point by point, and you can tell me which point you disagree with.

A.If God is 100% certain that a thing will happen, that thing is 100% certain to happen.
B.Risk means there is a chance of loss; that is, a greater than 0% chance that a given event will occur which results in loss.
C.Because God sent His Son at the risk of failure and eternal loss, there was a greater than 0% chance that Christ would suffer failure and eternal loss.
D.Therefore it could not be the case that God was 100% certain that Christ would not suffer failure or eternal loss.

Which one of the points are you not perceiving to be true?

Reply Quote
Page 20 of 26 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 25 26
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!