HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,629
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, Nadi, 2 invisible), 2,967 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Lesson Study #6 - The Bible and SCIENCE [Re: Johann] #88804
05/11/07 01:07 PM
05/11/07 01:07 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
I also receive Bruce Cameron's weekly Sabbath School material, however, I haven't been reading and using it lately. I guess I had better pay more attention to it. \:\)

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Reply Quote
Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Re: Lesson Study #6 - The Bible and SCIENCE [Re: Daryl] #88806
05/11/07 02:14 PM
05/11/07 02:14 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Thursday's section is on Science and the Flood.

If you read Genesis 7:11-24 (which I will not quote here) you will discover that not only water came down from above, but that it also came up out of the earth itself. If you compare this to the fire that will consume the wicked and cleanse the earth for recreation, you will also notice that fire also came down from above (Revelation 20:9) and came up out of the earth (GC 1888 Edition, page 672, paragraph 2).

Quote:

Rev. 20:9 And they went up over the breadth of the earth and circled around the camp of the saints, and the beloved city. And fire came down from God out of Heaven and devoured them.

Fire comes down from God out of Heaven. The earth is broken up. The weapons concealed in its depths are drawn forth. Devouring flames burst from every yawning chasm. The very rocks are on fire. The day has come that shall burn as an oven. The elements melt with fervent heat, the earth also, and the works that are therein are burned up. [MAL. 4:1; 2 PET. 3:10.] The earth's surface seems one molten mass,--a vast, seething lake of fire. It is the time of the judgment and perdition of ungodly men,--"the day of the Lord's vengeance, and the year of recompenses for the controversy of Zion." [ISA. 34:8; PROV. 11:31.] {GC 1888 672.2}

As water was literal water, so fire must have also been literal fire, but that's another issue that is being discussed in another topic.

What were the scientific implications of this great flood?

Daryl smile

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson Study #6 - The Bible and SCIENCE [Re: Daryl] #88818
05/11/07 08:49 PM
05/11/07 08:49 PM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
Experiencing my first volcanic eruption of Mt. Hekla in Iceland starting March 29, 1947, was a great awakening to me of the power of nature, the power of creation, and the power of God. If such things were possible in nature today, why not a flood, and the final events?

As a teenager I walked on the hard surface of liquid stone below, flowing down the mountainside. I see that majestic mountain today from our home, and I am reminded daily of the mighty divine power.

Also in the stars and in the Northern Light, as well as in the growth and beauty of spring and the buds on the trees.

"Here is a last piece of advice. If you believe in goodness and if you value the approval of God, fix your minds on the things which are holy and right and pure and beautiful and good. Model your conduct on what you have learned from me, on what I have told you and shown you, and you will find the God of peace will be with you."
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson Study #6 - The Bible and SCIENCE [Re: Johann] #88819
05/11/07 09:58 PM
05/11/07 09:58 PM
C
crater  Offline
Veteran Member
United States
 Originally Posted By: Johann
Experiencing my first volcanic eruption of Mt. Hekla in Iceland starting March 29, 1947, was a great awakening to me of the power of nature, the power of creation, and the power of God. If such things were possible in nature today, why not a flood, and the final events?

As a teenager I walked on the hard surface of liquid stone below, flowing down the mountainside. I see that majestic mountain today from our home, and I am reminded daily of the mighty divine power.

Also in the stars and in the Northern Light, as well as in the growth and beauty of spring and the buds on the trees.

Johann, were you away from Iceland when the Island of Surtsey was being formed in November 8, 1963 through June 5, 1967? Have you had the opportunity to visit the island?

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson Study #6 - The Bible and SCIENCE [Re: crater] #88820
05/11/07 10:13 PM
05/11/07 10:13 PM
C
crater  Offline
Veteran Member
United States
This site has pictures of the eruption, plants, birds, and even fossils of the Surtsey Island. Check it out.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson Study #6 - The Bible and SCIENCE [Re: Johann] #88830
05/12/07 06:53 AM
05/12/07 06:53 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Originally Posted By: Johann
Who is a scientist?

To me, a scientist is one who uses the scientific method. That includes those who believe in God. But, there are also biologists, chemists, and physicists who don't use the scientific method when coming to conclusions about how life came about and developed. IMO, they are not true scientists. Their beliefs are based on faith.

I came across this a couple of days ago. I find it very enlightening.

Quote:
He who has a knowledge of God and His word through personal experience has a settled faith in the divinity of the Holy Scriptures. He has proved that God's word is truth, and he knows that truth can never contradict itself. He does not test the Bible by men's ideas of science; he brings these ideas to the test of the unerring standard. He knows that in true science there can be nothing contrary to the teaching of the word; since both have the same Author, a correct understanding of both will prove them to be in harmony. Whatever in so-called scientific teaching contradicts the testimony of God's word is mere human guesswork. {MH 462.1}

I believe that personal experience in the things of God is the only way to really settle the veracity of the Bible.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson Study #6 - The Bible and SCIENCE [Re: asygo] #88832
05/13/07 12:00 AM
05/13/07 12:00 AM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
That's a good quote that covers both a true scientist and a true Christian.

Daryl smile

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson Study #6 - The Bible and SCIENCE [Re: crater] #88836
05/13/07 10:11 AM
05/13/07 10:11 AM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
 Originally Posted By: crater

Johann, were you away from Iceland when the Island of Surtsey was being formed in November 8, 1963 through June 5, 1967? Have you had the opportunity to visit the island?

Yes, I visited Iceland a few times during that period. On one occasion the pilot of the passenger plane I was on flew a circle around the new island to give us an added view of the volcanic activity. At one time I preached on the Westmann Islands then, and after church a youg man drove me and my wife to a point there from where we could get a good view of the volcano.

I read your post late Friday evening, and Sabbath morning - yesterday - the same man and his wife were visiting our local church, and I mentioned your post during the lesson study. Then he remarked that scientist had claimed that palgonite develops through millions of years, but there on Surtsey it developed within a few weeks.

Our Conference office called me a few days ago and asked me if I could preach on the Westmann islands on June 2. This is where my wife came from, so we will see her childhood home, and our ferry will take us right past Surtsey.

Another volcanic eruption destroyed much of her home town back in 1973, but she was not there then. The lava flow stopped a few meters from their house.

Wasn't it around 1980 tha Mt. St. Helens was in eruption? We saw that from the air too, as we flew from Seattle to Portland where my brother-in-law lived then.

So the earth is in motion. . .

"Here is a last piece of advice. If you believe in goodness and if you value the approval of God, fix your minds on the things which are holy and right and pure and beautiful and good. Model your conduct on what you have learned from me, on what I have told you and shown you, and you will find the God of peace will be with you."
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson Study #6 - The Bible and SCIENCE [Re: Johann] #88838
05/13/07 02:15 PM
05/13/07 02:15 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Somebody told us in Sabbath School in a church where we were visiting yesterday that the earth is expanding at the rate of 1 cm. each year.

Daryl smile

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson Study #6 - The Bible and SCIENCE [Re: Johann] #88852
05/14/07 03:35 PM
05/14/07 03:35 PM
C
crater  Offline
Veteran Member
United States
Johann, thanks for sharing your experience with Surtsey Island. The formation of the island, then the coming of plant life and birds to the island over the past 40 plus years is pretty amazing. Seems like scientist would need to rethink some of their theories.

Yes, Mt. St. Helens erupted in 1980. My cousin was the coordinator for the watershed restoration. She had to make about 18 trips to Washington D. C. to obtain funding for it. There is a Mount St. Helens VolcanoCam that shows in five minute updates the mountains current activity.

About 130 km south of Mt. St. Helens, in Oregon is another area of interest, the Three Sisters volcanic center of the central Oregon Cascade Range, part of the Pacific "Ring of Fire". The last eruption was about 1,700 years ago. Between August 1996 and October 2002 the region experienced 3 cm./yr. aseismic uplift, centered 5 km west of South Sister volcano. The area is currently being monitored.

Cascade Volcano Locations and 4,000 year Eruption Summary

Reply Quote
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!