HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,629
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Daryl, Karen Y, dedication, Nadi, 2 invisible), 2,978 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: The 7 Trumpets: Bible, history, & SOP support for an historicist interpretation. #9007
01/06/02 07:31 PM
01/06/02 07:31 PM
G
Greg Goodchild  Offline
Placerville, CA
Mark:
Have you determined what the trumpets are? Could you share with us your point of view? As I have said earlier I have not drawn a final conclusion that I can put on paper in a complete form. It is my belief that the trumpets, 1-6 are historical and 7 is sounding. I believe that the trumpets are issues that happened from the time of the fall of Jerusalem and then through the dark ages. I believe that the bulk of the trumpets have more to do with the development of the papacy than with the destruction of Rome. I also believe that old controversies will be repeated, so as the papacy continues to recover from its death wound we should be able to see the same trumpet like behaviors repeated in the development of the papacy and its illicit union with the USA.

Re: The 7 Trumpets: Bible, history, & SOP support for an historicist interpretation. #9008
01/07/02 11:27 AM
01/07/02 11:27 AM
B
Bob Pickle  Offline OP
Active Member 2013
Dedicated Member
Halstad, MN
Mark,

This thread is not the place to discuss futuristic interpretations of the trumpets. Please note the title of it. I think it would be inappropriate to bring in futurism here when we definitely have other threads where that can be discussed.

Greg,

To clarify what Mark wrote about my position, I favor the idea that the angels blowing the trumpets refer to reformatory messages, and that the hail and fire, burning mountain, etc., refer to military conquests in judgment for Babylon's sins.

While the messages that sounded at the time of Alaric's invasion, Genseric's and Attila's exploits, etc., might be repeated, I don't see how the judgmants, the conquests, can possibly be.

Vigilantius's reform message, against which Jerome railed, sounded at the time of Alaric. If one reads Jerome's work against Pelagius, one gets the idea that Jerome was a much bigger heretic than Pelagius ever was, and he was active during the time of Genseric. Islam railed against idolatry. Huss was burned not long before 1449.

Thus the "trumpets" could theoretically be repeated without the judgments that followed them being repeated.

If you read carefully Mark's post, you will note that he is suggesting that the commencement of the Day of Atonement will be repeated. This thread is not the place to discuss futurism of this sort since we are examining support for an historicist position.

Re: The 7 Trumpets: Bible, history, & SOP support for an historicist interpretation. #9009
01/07/02 12:25 PM
01/07/02 12:25 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian

Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
As Bob Pickle is the creator of this topic, I trust we will all respect his parameters and the parameters of the forum rules of MSDAOL and stick to the parameters of this topic.

Now, after saying that, there is nothing stopping Mark or others from using the other existing topic(s) or creating a topic focusing on the future aspect in the same way this topic is focusing on the historical aspect.

[ January 07, 2002: Message edited by: Daryl Fawcett ]

Re: The 7 Trumpets: Bible, history, & SOP support for an historicist interpretation. #9010
01/08/02 05:19 AM
01/08/02 05:19 AM
G
Greg Goodchild  Offline
Placerville, CA
Bob;
Have we settled what we will do with trumpet number 1? Can thefirst trumpet be the destruction of Jerusalem?

Re: The 7 Trumpets: Bible, history, & SOP support for an historicist interpretation. #9011
01/08/02 11:03 AM
01/08/02 11:03 AM
B
Bob Pickle  Offline OP
Active Member 2013
Dedicated Member
Halstad, MN
Greg,

I don't see how the fall of Jerusalem fits the 1st trumpet. We have to find parameters within the passage for our interpretation. Otherwise, it's every man for himself. And the fall of Jerusalem doesn't seem to fit the parameters that we can find.

Did you read my last post before Mark's?

Re: The 7 Trumpets: Bible, history, & SOP support for an historicist interpretation. #9012
01/09/02 05:17 AM
01/09/02 05:17 AM
D
Dora  Offline
Charter Member
Active Member 2013
Veteran Member
USA
Bob, Greg & all,
As my thinking on the trumpets is not solidified at all, I am trying to learn from all you fellows have to say. Just wanted you to know that I really DO appreciate the "in depth" study you are doing,and the wonderful Christlike spirit. Just reading it inspires me to go as deep into it as I can. Will be eagerly watching and reading. Thanks!!!

In Christ's Love,

Re: The 7 Trumpets: Bible, history, & SOP support for an historicist interpretation. #9013
01/09/02 05:33 AM
01/09/02 05:33 AM
G
Greg Goodchild  Offline
Placerville, CA
Mike;
I found your statement re the Day of Atonement to be "different". You said:
"Most Adventists would probably agree that the Day of Atonement for much of the world has not begun. How can God hold the world accountable if they haven’t heard the message or if they heard it, the message was drowned out by the sins of the messengers?"
I think the Day of Atonement has started for all. I think all of our probationary periods are still open and God continues to try to minister to us. Yet the Day of Atonement is in effect and God will judge us regarding the light we have not our understanding of the Day of Atonement.

Bob:
I just reviewed your first trumpet in your article. Your premise appears to be that Israel was judged/punished by an invading army - Assyria. You appeared to feel that this punishment came upon them due to drinking false doctrine. If those are your premises then again why wouldn't the same concepts fit into the destruction of Jerusalem? The roman army was coming in due to Israel drinking the golden cup of Babylon and having rejected their King. So the same concepts would be in effect to me.

How would you go about establishing these principles on the papacy? Do you establish the first trumpet on the pagan rome or papal rome or both or what?

If you don't like those then what parameters are using to establish the first trumpet and how do you arrive at those parameters?

Re: The 7 Trumpets: Bible, history, & SOP support for an historicist interpretation. #9014
01/09/02 12:14 PM
01/09/02 12:14 PM
B
Bob Pickle  Offline OP
Active Member 2013
Dedicated Member
Halstad, MN
Greg,

My premises and parameters need to be considered in their totality.

1. The trumpets as a whole concern the destruction of a heathen city. Jericho in Joshua and Babylon in Revelation.
  2. Babylon is identified in the book of Revelation as the city which sits on 7 mtns. Ellen White says point blank in GC that this is Rome.
  3. The fact that 2 of the first 4 trumpets use symbols taken from judgments upon Babylon, 1 symbols from judgments upon the northern kingdom of Israel, and 1 symbols from judgments upon the southern kingdom of Judah indicates that we should look for a time when Rome became synonymous with God's people.
In my view, the first 4 trumpets represent what "took out of the way" the power that "let" or prevented the man of sin from arising (2 Th. 2).

This was providential. When the empire became Catholic, the emperor was pope, and under that strong government truth's very existence was threatened. I've read the laws in the Theodotian Code against religion.

By dividing Rome, it gave the church breathing Rome so she could survive. This enabled the little horn to arise, a not-as-strong power amidst warring nations.

Here's another thought. Lk. 21 refers to Jerusalem's destruction and her treading underfoot for the times of the Gentiles. If we lump in Jerusalem in 70 AD with Babylon, then in Lk. 21 we would have Babylon treading underfoot Babylon for the 1260 days. I think it makes more sense to keep Jerusalem separate from Babylon in 70 AD.

Re: The 7 Trumpets: Bible, history, & SOP support for an historicist interpretation. #9015
01/09/02 12:16 PM
01/09/02 12:16 PM
B
Bob Pickle  Offline OP
Active Member 2013
Dedicated Member
Halstad, MN
Dora,

Glad you find it helpful.

Re: The 7 Trumpets: Bible, history, & SOP support for an historicist interpretation. #9016
01/17/02 05:43 AM
01/17/02 05:43 AM
G
Greg Goodchild  Offline
Placerville, CA
Bob:
I can't argue with your parameters particularly because I do not have a settled perspective on the trumpets as of yet.

I personally do not have the trumpets located in time so the 1260 days do not necessarily apply to the trumpets for me. Do you have something in the trumpets that locks the first trumpet inside the 1260 days?

In reference to Jerusalem. Literal Jerusalem is not the Jerusalem of Luke 21:24. I believe that is referring to the church and its spiritual connection with the heavenly sanctuary. I believe that GC identifies literal Jerusalem to Luke 21:20. I believe that the destruction of literal Jerusalem provides the type for the assault on spiritual Jersualem and spiritual Mt. Zion.

Would appreciate your feedback on this.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!