HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,619
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Nadi, 2 invisible), 3,409 guests, and 22 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 26 of 37 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 36 37
Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: Tom] #91691
09/04/07 02:46 PM
09/04/07 02:46 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:
TV: One could say He creates that which He has predicted.

DB: You are suggesting that the only way God can predict exact prophecies is for Him to cause them to happen. So then, since Jesus predicted that Peter would deny Him three times, then God caused Peter to deny Him.

Yes, God does at times get involved to make sure things play out in a way that will guarantee a positive outcome of the great controversy. However, even His future involvement is part of the prophecy. Of course in the case of Peter God did not cause Him to deny Jesus three times, not any more than God hardened Pharaoh’s heart.

Quote:
DB: Just because God knows perfectly what will happen, does not mean that they must happen... it simply means that they will happen; but they will still happen because of our choices, not because of God's foreknowledge.

It will happen because God’s foreknowledge of our future choices is infallible. If need be, however, God will get involved to make sure things play out according to His will. Under certain circumstances God’s “will” is what is best given the unusual circumstances (i.e. a world full of sin and sinners).

Quote:
DB: No, free will does not go out the window. What is foreseen of the future will happen because of the choices made (i.e. free will), not because the foreknowledge somehow fixes the future.

God’s foreknowledge is based on 20/20 hindsight. He knows the end from the beginning, therefore, He has already watched it play out, like watching a rerun. As such, God’s knowledge of our future choices, and His personal involvement, is based on hindsight. He simply reports the facts before the fact based on the fact He knows the facts after the fact. Only God knows the end from the beginning and to he or she who God chooses to share it.

Quote:
DB: And when A and B are mutually exclusive events, the future will contain only A or B, not both. And whether it contains A or B is governed by the one faced with the choice. And if God definitely knew the decision made, that does not mean that the person was robbed of free will; it simply means that God knew exactly how it would turn out. But the future is what it is because of the person's choice, not because the future was somehow "fixed".

From God’s perspective our future choices are “fixed” in the sense He knows exactly how we are going to choose. There are no surprise endings for God. But from our perspective, unless God chooses to reveal the future to us, we have no idea how we are going to choose in the future. As such, the future is open. The fact God knows the future in no way robs us of our ability or freedom to choose. His knowledge of the future is based on hindsight, not guess work. Like watching a rerun in no way effects the outcome, so too, God's knowledge of the future in no way effects the outcome.

Quote:
DB: Other choices are not mutually exclusive. For example, you can choose to put money into the offering for local church budget, or you can put money in the offering for the upcoming evangelistic meetings. You can do one, or the other, or you can do both.

True, but God knows exactly how we will choose because He knows the future like a rerun. In this sense there are no surprises for God.

Quote:
DB: Just because God sees the future perfectly for what it will be, does not mean that the future is predetermined by God.

True, God does not force an outcome that violates our ability and freedom to choose. Simply telling us in advance, based on His ability to know the future like a rerun, does not in the least mean He forces it to happen.

Quote:
TE: The point is if the future is seeable (who sees it doesn't matter, just that it is something which can be seen) then it is fixed. If it is fixed, then only one thing can happen in the future. This is not addressing in any way, shape, or form the *cause* of the action.

True. However, the fact is only God knows the future like a rerun because only God knows the end from the beginning. Satan does not know the future like a rerun. He can only guess what will happen based on his knowledge of the character of the people involved. God’s knowledge of the future doesn’t depend on His knowledge of the character of the people involved. His knowledge of the future is based on hindsight.

Quote:
TE: I've never argued that God cannot see the future perfectly, only that the future is not fixed, which is to say, there is no one future. There are many possible futures, which is exactly what God sees. He doesn't see the one future of what will happen, because there is no such thing.

If God cannot foreknow or foretell the one and only future that will eventually play out how, then, was He able to know the precise details surrounding Peter’s future denial of Jesus? I agree God knew Peter well enough to guess that his future involved him denying Jesus. God knew that about all of the disciples. However, in Peter’s case God knew precise details. How was that possible?

Yes, the gospel writers recorded it differently, but it doesn’t do away with the fact that what Jesus did say was in reality completely and precisely right. There were too many variables in this case for Jesus to have gotten it right based solely on knowing Peter was capable of denying Him.

We cannot overlook the fact Jesus knew details that required more knowledge of the future than simply knowing Peter was capable of denying Him. Jesus knew the details because God shared them with Jesus. And God knew the details in advance because God knows the future like a rerun. His knowledge of the future is based on 20/20 hindsight.

Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: Mountain Man] #91716
09/05/07 05:09 PM
09/05/07 05:09 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
God’s foreknowledge is based on 20/20 hindsight. He knows the end from the beginning, therefore, He has already watched it play out, like watching a rerun.

This phrase, that "God knows the end from the beginning," means that God knows what will happen from the beginning, not that He has watched it play out like a rerun. "Like a rerun" is a particularly poor choice of phrases, because it implies something which is inevitable. If there is only one possible future, then we cannot bring about a different one, but merely play out whatever fate has already been seen.

Consider two roads. What is at the end of these roads? God knows. One road leads to blessings, the other doesn't. God counsels us to to choose the good road, and forsake the other. He knows what will happen in either case.

This is what the phrase means, that God "sees the end from the beginning."

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: Tom] #91717
09/05/07 05:12 PM
09/05/07 05:12 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
True, God does not force an outcome that violates our ability and freedom to choose. Simply telling us in advance, based on His ability to know the future like a rerun, does not in the least mean He forces it to happen.

There is a possible logical problem here, although not a causative one. That is, no one would argue that God's knowledge of the future forces it to happen. However, if there is only one possible future that can happen, then we do not have the ability to bring about a different future than the one that can happen. Hence, we cannot be said to have free will, under the libertarian definition (the ability to choose between more than one options at a given time), although we can be said to have free will under the compatibilistic definition (which is that we are free to do that which we want to do).

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: Tom] #91718
09/05/07 05:24 PM
09/05/07 05:24 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
From God’s perspective our future choices are “fixed” in the sense He knows exactly how we are going to choose. There are no surprise endings for God. But from our perspective, unless God chooses to reveal the future to us, we have no idea how we are going to choose in the future. As such, the future is open.

Given that our perspective is different than God's, whose perspective is likely to be accurate? God's, where there is only one possible future (the one He sees, and knows will happen) or ours? Our point of view is based on ignorance. We mistakenly think we can choose between different options, but there is only one possible option we can choose, which is, of course, the one that will happen in the one possible future.

It is not God's knowledge of the future that makes it inevitable that we will make the given choice that the one possible future holds, but rather, the fact that there is only one possible future that can happen. *This is where the problem lies".

Quote:
The fact God knows the future in no way robs us of our ability or freedom to choose.

Of course not! However, there only being one possible future makes it logically impossible for us to choose to do anything contrary to what will happen. There is only one choice that can logically be made by us (dictated by the one possible future). God's knowledge of the future is irrelevant to the fact that there being one possible future makes it logically impossible for us to do something other than that which must inevitably come to pass.

Quote:
His knowledge of the future is based on hindsight, not guess work.

No. His knowledge of the future is based on foresight, which is based on His intelligence, the same as our is. He doesn't have some mystical power to look into a crystal ball. His knowledge of the future is based on His being all-knowing.

Quote:
Like watching a rerun in no way effects the outcome, so too, God's knowledge of the future in no way effects the outcome.

This really isn't the issue. The issue isn't the rerun being affected by the person watching it (which, of course, no one asserts), but on the rerun existing in the first place. Is there such a rerun? Are our lives simply "reruns" waiting to be played out? If God sees them as such, then they are, because how God sees things is how they really are. God's perspective of reality is reality.

Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: Tom] #91736
09/06/07 03:37 PM
09/06/07 03:37 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, the idea that God cannot know the futurte like a rerun is unbiblical. God's knowledge of the outcome of our future choices is not based on what we "will" do; rather, it is based on what we "did" do. As such, our options at the time are open, not fixed or determined. In other words, we are free to choose because God's knowledge is based on what we chose after the fact, not before.

Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: Mountain Man] #91741
09/06/07 06:04 PM
09/06/07 06:04 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Tom, the idea that God cannot know the futurte like a rerun is unbiblical. God's knowledge of the outcome of our future choices is not based on what we "will" do; rather, it is based on what we "did" do. As such, our options at the time are open, not fixed or determined. In other words, we are free to choose because God's knowledge is based on what we chose after the fact, not before.

My comments have been dealing with the contradiction between the idea that there is only one possible future and our having free will (under the libertarian definition). God's knowledge of the future doesn't matter insofar as this contradiction is concerned.

For you to state that God's knowledge of future choices is based on what we "did" do is to make crystal clear our inability to alter what will happen in the future, since it's something we "did" (Clearly nothing we "did" can be changed).

Our ability to choose has nothing to do with God's knowledge of the event, so whether God's knowledge is based on what we choose after the fact or before is irrelevant to the contradiction I've been pointing out.

Aside from that, I don't see how your last sentence makes any sense. It looks like you are confusing God's seeing a thing happening with the thing actually happening. That is, God's knowledge of what we choose to do is "after the fact" of His seeing what we will do. But it is before the fact of our actually doing it, which is the germain thing as far as are free will is concerned, since our free will has to do with the choices we make, not with God's foresight of those choices.

Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: Tom] #91766
09/07/07 05:25 PM
09/07/07 05:25 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, God's knowledge of the future, as you say, has nothing to do with our ability and freedom to choose. I agree. God is not bound by space and time like you and me, therefore, His knowledge of the past, present, and future has no beginning or ending. We are totally free to choose as we please. Yes, God knows in advance exactly how we will choose, but it in no way means we are not free to choose.

I will never understand why you believe it means our abilty and freedom to choose is altered or limited. You seem to think it doesn't matter who knows how we will choose, that if it is known in advance it means we are not truly free to choose. Perhaps you are right, but the fact is we are talking about God and not just anybody. There are things about our omnicient, omnipresent God we cannot fully grasp. The fact He knows the future like a rerun is amazing. Personally, I'm glad it is true. I know He is totally in control. Amen!

Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: Mountain Man] #91770
09/07/07 06:30 PM
09/07/07 06:30 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
God knows in advance exactly how we will choose, but it in no way means we are not free to choose.

What makes us not free to choose is not God's knowledge of the future, but its essence (i.e., the future as you perceive it to be; there's only one way things can happen). That is, it is an ontological issue, not an epistemological one, which I've pointed out to you quite a number of times now, but you keep responding with the same points, which makes me think you've not gotten the point (which could be my fault; perhaps I'm not communicating it clearly enough)

I will never understand why you believe it means our abilty and freedom to choose is altered or limited.

I think you problem in not being able to understand here is based on your trying to understand something which is not being asserted. You keep phrasing the issue as if it were epistemological as opposed to ontological, but the issue you keep addressing is not one that I am raising.

You seem to think it doesn't matter who knows how we will choose, that if it is known in advance it means we are not truly free to choose.

It doesn't matter in regards to the contradiction I pointed out, which is that if there is only one possible future, then our options are limited to that one possible future. Once again, this is ontological, not epistemological.

Perhaps you are right, but the fact is we are talking about God and not just anybody.

Which is immaterial to the point I've been making.

There are things about our omniscient, omnipresent God we cannot fully grasp. The fact He knows the future like a rerun is amazing.

I'm a bit perplexed as to why you would think this would be amazing. This would be almost infinitely easier to do than what I'm suggesting God actually does.

Personally, I'm glad it is true. I know He is totally in control.

Your conclusion doesn't at all follow your premise here. That is, even if God saw the future like a rerun, that has nothing to do with His "being in control."

I'm a bit disappointed that you haven't addressed the issue I've been raising. You keep going off on tangents. I'm not sure if you're doing this on purpose (because you don't want to discuss the issue I've been raising) or just because you haven't understood it (I'm inclined to believe it's the latter).

In a nutshell, here is the point I've been trying to make:

If there is only one way in which things can happen in the future, then it cannot be the case that we have free will (under the libertarian definition - which asserts that we have the ability to bring about one of more than one possible options at a given moment).

I would be curious as to what your response to this point is. (You may note that there is no mention of "God" in this point. This is because my point is not epistemological -- about God's knowing something -- but ontological -- about the essence of the future).

Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: Tom] #91773
09/07/07 10:10 PM
09/07/07 10:10 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
The future is open. Our choices are unlimited. Nothing prevents us from choosing. Our options are numerous. That's how I see the future. That's how the future is. The fact God knows the outcome in advance, like a rerun, in no way means our choices were reduced to one before we decided on a course of action.

I agree with you that this means the outcome is limited to one future, but I disagree that it means our options, our choices before the fact were limited to one. We are totally free, before the fact, to choose as we please, nevertheless, God knows the outcome like a rerun. His knowing the future like a rerun in no way means our options, before the fact, are limited to one.

Again, we're talking about God, who is not limited by time or space. It does matter that we are talking about God and not just anybody. Only God is everywhere at the same time. No one seems to be bothered by the fact God is omnipresent, that He is everwhere at the same time. Why, then, should we be bothered by the fact God is omnicient, that He knows the future like a rerun?

Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: Mountain Man] #91793
09/09/07 11:14 PM
09/09/07 11:14 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
The future is open. Our choices are unlimited. Nothing prevents us from choosing. Our options are numerous. That's how I see the future.

So are you saying that there is more than one way for things to happen in the future? This is the key question. Is there actually more than one way for things to happen? Or do we just *think* there is more than one, because of our inability to see the future?

That's how the future is. The fact God knows the outcome in advance, like a rerun, in no way means our choices were reduced to one before we decided on a course of action.

Our choices are restricted, logically, if there's only one possible way things can happen in the future. Is it possible for things to happen more than one way in the future?

I agree with you that this means the outcome is limited to one future, but I disagree that it means our options, our choices before the fact were limited to one.

Whoa! Which is it? Is there more than one possible future (which your statement that we have numerous options implies) or just one (which your new statement here implies, "I agree with you that this means the outcome is limited to one future." Which is it? One possible future, or more than one?

We are totally free, before the fact, to choose as we please,

Before what fact? The fact our choosing what we will do, or the fact of God's seeing what choice we will make? Clearly God sees what we will do before we choose what we will do. So this comes down to asking if it is possible for use to do something other than what God sees we will do.

nevertheless, God knows the outcome like a rerun. His knowing the future like a rerun in no way means our options, before the fact, are limited to one.

It does if there's only one possible future! *That's* the question you need to answer. Either there is one possible future (e.g., the one God sees), or there is more than one possible future.

Again, we're talking about God, who is not limited by time or space.

[color]Actually, again, we're talking about the future, which is limited by time and space.[/color]

It does matter that we are talking about God and not just anybody.

No, it doesn't, because the subject matter is not a being, but a time.

Only God is everywhere at the same time. No one seems to be bothered by the fact God is omnipresent, that He is everwhere at the same time. Why, then, should we be bothered by the fact God is omnicient, that He knows the future like a rerun?

Well, I think you're limiting God's omniscience to be much less than what it really is by limiting the future. But, again, how God views things really is immaterial to my point, which is that if there is only one possible way the future can happen, then we do not have free will (under the libertarian definition). You appear to be agreeing with this assertion in saying, "I agree with you that this means the outcome is limited to one future" but then you contradict yourself in saying, "I disagree that it means our options, our choices before the fact were limited to one." Clearly if the outcome is "limited to one future," then our choices are limited to one as well.

Page 26 of 37 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 36 37

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:07 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!