HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,639
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, Kevin H, Karen Y, TheophilusOne, 2 invisible), 3,125 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: No temptation too difficult to resist -- Is it true? [Re: Mountain Man] #92362
10/24/07 04:49 AM
10/24/07 04:49 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Arnold, in what way are our posts different?

I don't see the verse necessarily promising that God will empower us to overcome any temptation. Rather, it promises that God will filter the temptations that do come. And for those that pass the filter, He gives us a way of escape.

Plus, it does not say that there is no excuse for sinning. What it does say is that for every temptation that God allows his obedient children to face, He provides a way of escape. The conditions underlined and bolded are important.

In short, this verse by itself does not provide the all-encompassing promise of your OP. Bro Tom and I are probably on the same page here.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: No temptation too difficult to resist -- Is it true? [Re: Mountain Man] #92363
10/24/07 02:45 PM
10/24/07 02:45 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Tom, are you suggesting God does not regulate temptations related to sins of ignorance like He does with known sins? In other words, does the promise in 1 Cor 10:13 force us to conclude God does not temper how we are tempted in areas we do not know involves sinning? For example, if I am tempted to be impatient with my wife, in an unfamiliar area of life, does God leave it up to Satan to decide how much to tempt me? so that my sin is excusable?

No, I'm not suggesting anything. I'm just pointing out that your logic is faulty. Arnold's doing a fine job explaining why, so I won't comment further.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: No temptation too difficult to resist -- Is it true? [Re: asygo] #92365
10/24/07 02:59 PM
10/24/07 02:59 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
A: I don't see the verse necessarily promising that God will empower us to overcome any temptation.

MM: "There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man." It says no temptation common to mankind. Of all the temptations common to mankind, which temptation does this promise exclude or overlook?

A: Rather, it promises that God will filter the temptations that do come. And for those that pass the filter, He gives us a way of escape.

MM: "But God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able." What do you mean by "filter"? Do you mean of all the temptations common to mankind that God tames them so as not to exceed our level of maturity in Christ to recognize and resist them? Again, which temptation does this promise exclude or overlook?

A: Plus, it does not say that there is no excuse for sinning.

MM: Does it imply it? Where else in the Bible is it taught?

A: What it does say is that for every temptation that God allows his obedient children to face, He provides a way of escape. The conditions underlined and bolded are important.

MM: Does this promise only apply to "obedient" Christians? Does it imply God does not temper (regulate) the common temptations that non-believers face? Is there no escape plan available to them?

A: In short, this verse by itself does not provide the all-encompassing promise of your OP. Bro Tom and I are probably on the same page here.

MM: Which verses would you combine to teach it? In the following passage, where does Sister White find biblical support? Also, which temptations are excluded or overlooked?

DA 311
The tempter's agency is not to be accounted an excuse for one wrong act. Satan is jubilant when he hears the professed followers of Christ making excuses for their deformity of character. It is these excuses that lead to sin. There is no excuse for sinning. A holy temper, a Christlike life, is accessible to every repenting, believing child of God. {DA 311.3}

Re: No temptation too difficult to resist -- Is it true? [Re: Tom] #92366
10/24/07 03:04 PM
10/24/07 03:04 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Arnold, Tom is leaving it up to you to explain what he believes regarding the following questions and comments. I hope you don't mind. Thank you.

Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
 Quote:
TE: To make you're conclusion, you'd have to show that it's only possible to sin if one is tempted ...

MM: Again, this promise is talking about what God does, namely, He does not allow us to be tempted above His ability to empower us to resist it. It is referring to known sins. Therefore, it cannot be talking about sins of ignorance.

TE: ... or that there's no excuse for other types of sinning.

MM: This promise is specifically talking about God not allowing us to be tempted above His ability to empower us to resist it. It cannot, therefore, be talking about sins of ignorance.

Which is exactly why you are in error. Your original post asked: "God promises He will not let allow us to be tempted above His ability to empower us to recognize and resist it unto His honor and glory. This means there is no excuse for sinning, right?
"

The answer is "no," for the reason you yourself are pointing out here, which is that 1 Cor. 10 is not dealing with sins of ignorance. Actually, the reason your reasoning is invalid is exactly what I pointed out, which is that what 1 Cor. 10 points out is that there is not excuse for succumbing to temptation, not that there is no excuse for sinning. As I pointed out, you would have to show, in order to conclude that this text means there is no excuse for sinning, that one can only sin if one is tempted.

Quote:
Tom, are you suggesting God does not regulate temptations related to sins of ignorance like He does with known sins? In other words, does the promise in 1 Cor 10:13 force us to conclude God does not temper how we are tempted in areas we do not know involves sinning? For example, if I am tempted to be impatient with my wife, in an unfamiliar area of life, does God leave it up to Satan to decide how much to tempt me? so that my sin is excusable?

No, I'm not suggesting anything. I'm just pointing out that your logic is faulty. Arnold's doing a fine job explaining why, so I won't comment further.

Re: No temptation too difficult to resist -- Is it true? [Re: Mountain Man] #92368
10/24/07 07:11 PM
10/24/07 07:11 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM, even though I said I wouldn't comment further, I will.

The verse says that any temptation which we encounter, we have the ability to overcome. God will not allow us to face any temptation we cannot over come. Hopefully, you agree with this.

What you asserted in your OP was that this implies there is no excuse for sinning. If you wish to make this point, you need to provide the missing links to your argument.

Here's an example of a valid argument.

A.One cannot sin without being tempted.
B.We can overcome any temptation.
C.Therefore there is no excuse for sinning.

Here's another example of a valid argument.

A.There are two types of sins, ones which involve temptation, and ones which don't.
B.We can overcome the sins which involve temptation.
C.We can overcome the sins which do not involve temptation.
D.Therefore there is no excuse for sinning.

Your argument is jumping to a conclusion without filling in the details. It's not the content of your argument which is off, but the form. It's missing structure.

Your questions are focusing on content, which is missing the point.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: No temptation too difficult to resist -- Is it true? [Re: Tom] #92371
10/25/07 03:58 AM
10/25/07 03:58 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
The promise (1 Cor 10:13) implies there is no excuse for committing sins common to mankind. Why not? Because God will not allow people to be tempted above their ability to resist it. He provides the way of escape.

That's it, right?

Re: No temptation too difficult to resist -- Is it true? [Re: Mountain Man] #92378
10/25/07 05:51 PM
10/25/07 05:51 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
No, not it. The temptations are common to mankind, not the sins.

You need to establish some sort of logical link between overcoming temptations (everyone is agreeing the text implies there is no excuse for not overcoming temptation) and not committing any sin.

My previous post gives a couple examples of the form for a valid argument.

Re: No temptation too difficult to resist -- Is it true? [Re: Mountain Man] #92382
10/25/07 08:07 PM
10/25/07 08:07 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
What do you mean by "filter"? Do you mean of all the temptations common to mankind that God tames them so as not to exceed our level of maturity in Christ to recognize and resist them?

This could mean that God prevents some temptations. For example, if I have an intense weakness for [censored], He might arrange circumstances differently for me than for someone who does not have the same weakness.

But it could also mean that God adjusts the strength of the temptation to match our ability to overcome.

A: Plus, it does not say that there is no excuse for sinning.

MM: Does it imply it? Where else in the Bible is it taught?

It implies it, assuming that temptation and sin can never be separated. But in any case, there is a strong correlation, I think.

But when we talk about sinning and the Bible promises that we can overcome, we must be very specific in our definition of sin. Are we talking willful disobedience only? Are we including everything that is not congruent with God's character? IOW, are we talking objective or subjective standards?

A: What it does say is that for every temptation that God allows his obedient children to face, He provides a way of escape. The conditions underlined and bolded are important.

MM: Does this promise only apply to "obedient" Christians? Does it imply God does not temper (regulate) the common temptations that non-believers face? Is there no escape plan available to them?

First, Paul was writing to the "brethren" in Corinth. That's Christians. But in a more general sense, that includes all who are born of God, whether or not they are identified as Christians by man's reckoning.

Does that include disobedient Christians? Is there such a thing? Strictly speaking, only the obedient are true Christians.

But using "Christian" loosely, as many tend to do, there are disobedient ones. Can such cash in on this promise? I don't think so. Willful disobedience - rebellion - separates one from God. Once you're separated from Him, where will you get the discernment and power? These people are not born of God and have no claim to the promises of God.

Moreover, the biggest problem facing rebels is their desire to sin. God wants them to obey. God has made the power available. The only thing missing is that they do not want to obey. And when you do not want to obey, any temptation - no matter how small, no matter what way of escape is available - becomes an excuse to sin.

Is there an escape plan for non-believers? Yes. Believe and be saved! Short of that, there's really no point in escaping. But if God allows them to suffer the consequences of sin, they might realize that God's way is better than the alternative.

A: In short, this verse by itself does not provide the all-encompassing promise of your OP. Bro Tom and I are probably on the same page here.

MM: Which verses would you combine to teach it?

Gal 5, 1Jn, Rom 6, Rom 8, Eph 2, Tit 2. There's more to choose from. And to really make a compelling case, we need to use all of these.

But really, the excuse to sin is not the big problem. There has never been an excuse to sin. And the sinner does not need one. All he needs is the desire to sin.

So, to be effective in eradicating sin, we need to eradicate the desire to sin. This won't happen by merely showing people that power is available to overcome, or that they'll get in trouble for sinning. What they need to see is Christ lifted up in all His glory. When they see His matchless charms, the things of earth will grow strangely dim. Look and live!

Once one has tasted the sweetness of Christ, why would he want the bitterness of sin again?

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: No temptation too difficult to resist -- Is it true? [Re: Tom] #92386
10/26/07 03:09 AM
10/26/07 03:09 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
No, not it. The temptations are common to mankind, not the sins.

You need to establish some sort of logical link between overcoming temptations (everyone is agreeing the text implies there is no excuse for not overcoming temptation) and not committing any sin.

My previous post gives a couple examples of the form for a valid argument.

TE: The temptations are common to mankind, not the sins.

MM: The temptations common to mankind and the sins commonly committed by mankind are one and the same. The logical link is there is no excuse for committing sins common to mankind because there is no temptation common to mankind that God cannot empower people to recognize and resist.

Re: No temptation too difficult to resist -- Is it true? [Re: Mountain Man] #92389
10/26/07 03:38 AM
10/26/07 03:38 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
A: He might arrange circumstances differently for me than for someone who does not have the same weakness.

MM: Do you mean to say God choreographs circumstances?

A: Once you're separated from Him, where will you get the discernment and power? These people are not born of God and have no claim to the promises of God.

MM: Does that mean God cannot temper the temptations that come to people if they aren't more careful?

A: Are we talking willful disobedience only? Are we including everything that is not congruent with God's character? IOW, are we talking objective or subjective standards?

MM: Which sin/temptation common to mankind is excluded in the promise?

A: There has never been an excuse to sin. And the sinner does not need one.

MM: Why not? Is it because God choreographs the circumstances? Is it because He will not allow people to be tempted above their ability to resist it?

A: What they need to see is Christ lifted up in all His glory.

MM: Is this necessary for God to temper the temptations that come to people? Or, does God temper them regardless?

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/20/24 12:54 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/16/24 02:17 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by kland. 05/17/24 04:47 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!