HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,629
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, Nadi, 2 invisible), 2,967 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 30 of 37 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 36 37
Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: Tom] #92593
11/05/07 01:34 AM
11/05/07 01:34 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
I wrote - In other words, you believe God knows perfectly the many different ways the future could play out, right? And that He doesn't know in advance which one of these many ways it will play out, right?

In response to this, you wrote - It's not quite that simple, but that's the basic idea. One reason it's not this simple is because God is involved in the future.

Which is something I assumed. It goes without saying. Of course it involves God's active participation.

That fact impacts how one puts things. It's one of the reasons it's not quite as simply as you put it, which is why I pointed that out. Obviously if God is actively participating, He knows which of the ways He foresees that the future will play out.

Regarding C. S. Lewis, I like him a lot. I think he had a very positive view of God's character. In particular, I like his view on why Christ had to die.

TE: Obviously if God is actively participating, He knows which of the ways He foresees that the future will play out.

MM: This sounds like you are agreeing with me, that God does indeed know in advance which one of the many ways He foresees will play out.

TE: Regarding C. S. Lewis, I like him a lot.

MM: Do you agree with his view of God's foreknowledge (quoted above)? The reason I ask is because his view reflects what I believe.

Quote:
God isn't talking about what will happen tomorrow, rather, He is talking about what did happen. As such, the actors have no foreknowledge of it, nothing to complicate their options. They simply do what they please, without the burden of foreknowledge. And, God simply reports the facts as they truly are, not necessarily how it will be.

Here you didn't address my argument, which demonstrates the logical problem with what you're saying here. Rather than just repeat the argument, I'll ask you to please consider it.

Here's the whole context:

Quote:
3. Such reporting does not rob the actors of their freedom or ability to choose as they please. It simply reports the choice they made after the fact.

In the sense of logic, it does. Clearly the movie characters cannot do something different than what they have already been observed to do.

Let's say you were observed to eat broccoli tomorrow, and you were told that you had been so observed. Could you do anything about it? Could you choose not to eat broccoli? Clearly not, because you have been observed to do something that has already happened, according to your scheme of things, so for you to choose not to eat broccoli would be for you to change something which has already happened. So unless you want to assert that it's possible to change the past, you're stuck here. That is, logically, your assertion is unsound.

God isn't talking about what will happen tomorrow, rather, He is talking about what did happen. As such, the actors have no foreknowledge of it, nothing to complicate their options. They simply do what they please, without the burden of foreknowledge. And, God simply reports the facts as they truly are, not necessarily how it will be.

Tom, your argument against this view assumes God's omnipresence robs us of our ability and freedom to choose. The fact He is not bound by our time and space, that He can watch us do things tomorrow as if we did it yesterday, that He can watch us do things yesterday as if we are doing them now, in no way robs us our ability and freedom to choose. Please consider C.S. Lewis' explanation. Do you disagree with him?

Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: Tom] #92594
11/05/07 01:51 AM
11/05/07 01:51 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
By the way, MM, I'm sorry to ask this again, because I know I've asked it several times, but what is your answer to the question as to why God chose to create a being He was certain to sin over one He was certain would not sin. I know you've set that it did not deter Him from establishing His throne in righteousness, but that doesn't really answer the question. Saying this only addresses that God was not deterred, but not suggest a positive reason as to why God would make such a choice.

You would agree that God could have created a different being, other than Lucifer, correct? Why choose Lucifer over some other being? I'm not understanding this.

1. God made both. He made FMAs He knew in advance would not sin, and FMAs He knew would sin. I realize you do not think the answer to your question is valid or positive, but to me it is. I can live with it. I suspect, however, that when we get to heaven He will provide a more satisfying answer. I could not live with your answer, that is, that God was pretty sure FMAs wouldn't sin, that the chance of them sinning was so small that it made the risk worth it.

2. I don't think creating a different being in place of Lucifer was an option. However, I do believe He could have chosen not to create Lucifer (and the angels who rebelled with him).

3. I do not believe God had to choose between Lucifer and some other being who would not sin.

Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: Mountain Man] #92603
11/05/07 03:23 AM
11/05/07 03:23 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
TE: Obviously if God is actively participating, He knows which of the ways He foresees that the future will play out.

MM: This sounds like you are agreeing with me, that God does indeed know in advance which one of the many ways He foresees will play out.

That's why I said it is not so simple as you were saying. The link I provided does an excellent job of explaining the concept. Did you take a look at it?

Quote:

MM: Do you agree with his view of God's foreknowledge (quoted above)? The reason I ask is because his view reflects what I believe.

Actually his view is a different than yours. C. S. Lewis believed in an eternal soul, and other ideas left over from Catholicism. This colored his view of foreknowledge, which is more Catholic than yours is.

I don't agree with either yours or his.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: Tom] #92604
11/05/07 03:40 AM
11/05/07 03:40 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Tom, your argument against this view assumes God's omnipresence robs us of our ability and freedom to choose.

I assume you mean omniscience? No, it doesn't. Many make this mistake. I've explained this to you many times.

What God knows does not impact our choices. The nature of the future logically has an impact on our choices. If there is only one future, then logically (not because someone or some thing forces us, but logically; "logically" is the key word here) it is not possible to choose some other option than what will happen in that one future.

As I've repeatedly pointed out, what God knows about the future is irrelevant to this point. What is relevant is the nature of the future.

I've explained this several dozen times to you, MM. I'm curious, do you feel like you're understanding what I've been trying to explain any better through our discussions?

Maybe this is just something you can't understand, or maybe it's something I can't explain to you in a way that you can understand. (I'm saying the shortcoming here may be mine, not yours).

The fact He is not bound by our time and space, that He can watch us do things tomorrow as if we did it yesterday, that He can watch us do things yesterday as if we are doing them now, in no way robs us our ability and freedom to choose. Please consider C.S. Lewis' explanation. Do you disagree with him?

Again, I've never claimed that God's omniscience robs us of our ability and freedom to choose. The fact that you are pointing this out to me is a bit concerning, since I've explained this to you so many times.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: Mountain Man] #92625
11/06/07 12:48 AM
11/06/07 12:48 AM
D
DenBorg  Offline
Blanchard, OK
 Originally Posted By: Mountain Man

MM, it seems impossible to discuss this rationally with Tom since he keeps moving the target. You tire yourself out running from target to target as he gives contradicting statements as to his views of God's foreknowledge. You run back and forth: Does Tom believe that God knows what will happen in the future? No he does not. ... Wait! Yes he does ... No, wait! he doesn't. It wears you out!

He'll tell you that God does not know what will happen in the future ... how can He since it does not exist to know! And furthermore, if He knew the future, then free will is out the window, because if someone chose to do something different than what He foresees happening, then God would be a liar. But it isn't God or His foreknowledge that fixes the future if this were true, and since (according to Tom) free will would be out the window, neither is it us FMA's that fix the future; so what else is there other than us FMA's and God which can affect what will happen in the future?!!!!!!!!! He won't say. (There isn't anything else besides FMA's and God that determine what will happen in the future ... I believe Tom does not want to acknowledge this fact because it would shoot down his "must-be-fixed-and-free-will-is-out-the-window" argument)

Yet, despite that Tom's point that the real future does not exist for Him to see, somehow all of these possible futures that will not actually happen actually do exist (according to Tom), and God can see all of these candidate futures that will not happen (He just cannot see the real one that will happen.)

Then he turns 180 degrees, denies that he ever said any such thing (as he has recently done with me), and then say as he did to you, "Obviously if God is actively participating, He knows which of the ways He foresees that the future will play out."

See? First Tom says that God does not know, and cannot know, because the future does not exist to know.

Now Tom moves the target and says that since God is actively participating, He does know which future will play out.

And he does not even seem to realize that "God knows the future" and "God does not know the future 'cuz it doesn't exist to know" are two irreconcilable conflicting statements.

Either God knows what will happen, or He does not ... it cannot be both, except according to Tom.

It is impossible to discuss or debate anything like this when the other person is constantly moving the target. You argue against the one position, and he later denies that position. Then when you mention that you then agree, he switches yet again and reverts back to his first position.

In this kind of situation, you could not win if the objective was to lose (you can't win for losing).

At any rate, this is what I see happening in this thread.

Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: DenBorg] #92626
11/06/07 02:49 PM
11/06/07 02:49 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM, it seems impossible to discuss this rationally with Tom since he keeps moving the target. You tire yourself out running from target to target as he gives contradicting statements as to his views of God's foreknowledge. You run back and forth: Does Tom believe that God knows what will happen in the future? No he does not. ... Wait! Yes he does ... No, wait! he doesn't. It wears you out!

DenBorg, you're dealing with a view that you are unfamiliar with. Rather than assume I'm doing something irrational, why not take the position that you may not be understanding what's being communicated? Also, I'm right here. Addressing me in the third person in a public forum in a thread I'm actively participating in is a bit odd.

He'll tell you that God does not know what will happen in the future ... how can He since it does not exist to know! And furthermore, if He knew the future, then free will is out the window, because if someone chose to do something different than what He foresees happening, then God would be a liar.

I think it would be better if you quoted things that were said, and asked clarifying questions about them.

But it isn't God or His foreknowledge that fixes the future if this were true, and since (according to Tom) free will would be out the window, neither is it us FMA's that fix the future; so what else is there other than us FMA's and God which can affect what will happen in the future?!!!!!!!!! He won't say.

I really don't understand what you're trying to say here. I'll repeat what I've said.

Our basic disagreement does not involve God's knowledge of the future. We both agree that God knows and sees the future perfectly, just as it is. Where we differ has to do with the context of the future. You perceive the future to be a single thing, the one thing that will actually happen. So when you speak of "the future," this is what you have in mind. At times, I have used your meaning to communicate to you, and at times I have used mine. That is why my comments regarding the future have been confusing to you.

I have tried to clarify when I'm am presenting an argument from your perspective and when I've been presenting one from mine. The reason you see me as being contradictory is you are taking my statements, from two different perspectives, as if they were from the same perspective. But my statements are not contradictory, because sometimes I take your perspective in order to present an argument, to show the conclusions that perspective would lead to.

The reason for free will being out the window, so to speak, has to do with the idea of future that only has one possibility. If an event A is certain to happen (e.g., the event that you will do this, as opposed to that, an event B) then, logically, you cannot do event B.

The logical problem with free will has to do with the nature of the future. If one takes the position that God has a certain knowledge of the future, and that position leads logically to the conclusion that the future is settled, then that indirectly leads to a logical argument that God's knowledge of the future implies certain problems with free will. But this is a logical argument. The argument is not that there is a direct cause between God's knowing the future and a person's being forced to do a certain thing. As I've pointed out, that God knows the future isn't relevant to this argument. Some other being could know the future, and the argument would logically follow just as well. It's the fact that the future is exhaustively settled, and knowable as such, that causes the logical problem.

Regarding the question as to if the future is settled, then who settled it, it doesn't seem to me we have really gotten into that. My view is that creatures with free will, to some degree, settle the future, and that it is not exhaustively settled before these creatures act. If the future is exhaustively settled, there are arguments that have been made that it must have been God who settled it. This is the Calvinist position, and if you do some research on the web, you can find these arguments. The argument by Jonathan Edwards is particularly well known.

(There isn't anything else besides FMA's and God that determine what will happen in the future ... I believe Tom does not want to acknowledge this fact because it would shoot down his "must-be-fixed-and-free-will-is-out-the-window" argument)

I don't know what you're thinking here. Please present a well formed argument, and we can discuss it.

Yet, despite that Tom's point that the real future does not exist for Him to see, somehow all of these possible futures that will not actually happen actually do exist (according to Tom), and God can see all of these candidate futures that will not happen (He just cannot see the real one that will happen.)

Clearly the future that will actually happen is one of the candidate futures, so obviously God does see the real one that will happen.

Then he turns 180 degrees, denies that he ever said any such thing (as he has recently done with me), and then say as he did to you, "Obviously if God is actively participating, He knows which of the ways He foresees that the future will play out."

This is considering a specific class of events, in answer to a specific question. For example, if God prophesies about something He Himself will do, clearly He can foresee what the result of that will be.

See? First Tom says that God does not know, and cannot know, because the future does not exist to know.

Cannot know as settled.

Now Tom moves the target and says that since God is actively participating, He does know which future will play out.

In certain circumstances.

And he does not even seem to realize that "God knows the future" and "God does not know the future 'cuz it doesn't exist to know" are two irreconcilable conflicting statements.

Not taken in the context I provided, they aren't.

Either God knows what will happen, or He does not ... it cannot be both, except according to Tom.

Again, you're mixing statements made from different perspectives to create a contradiction that doesn't exist.

If you have some question about something I've said, why not quote it, and ask your question?

It is impossible to discuss or debate anything like this when the other person is constantly moving the target. You argue against the one position, and he later denies that position. Then when you mention that you then agree, he switches yet again and reverts back to his first position.

Actually what I'm doing is asking you to quote something I've actually said, and ask questions about that.

In this kind of situation, you could not win if the objective was to lose (you can't win for losing).

At any rate, this is what I see happening in this thread.

Again, I'd suggest actually quoting things you have questions about, and then asking questions, and making points, about those things. This is what MM and I do with each other, and we've been able to carry on successfully conversations for years like this. Sometimes we agree (e.g. on Christ's human nature), sometimes we disagree, but we have been able to dialog at great length using this technique on a wide variety of subjects.

Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: Tom] #92630
11/06/07 05:26 PM
11/06/07 05:26 PM
D
DenBorg  Offline
Blanchard, OK
DenBorg, you're dealing with a view that you are unfamiliar with.

Says you, but you don't know what I am or am not familiar with. Don't be so presumptuous as to think you know what I am or am not familiar with.

Rather than assume I'm doing something irrational, why not take the position that you may not be understanding what's being communicated?

I am not making any assumptions. You've stated certain things a number of times. I'm just going by your previous statements.

Besides, have you ever stopped to think that perhaps, just perhaps, the problem may not be with me or the others here?

Also, I'm right here. Addressing me in the third person in a public forum in a thread I'm actively participating in is a bit odd.

I was not addressing you. I was addressing MM, not you.

Are you trying to deny me permission to reply to other posters in this thread? Are you the only one I am allowed to address and have a discussion with? I don't think so.

I know you are right here ... I am not blind. And I have addressed you directly several times.

As to your request that I quote you directly ... besides the fact that have done just that many many many many times, I will yet again as time avails.

I will show you your quotes where I hear you saying exactly what you tried denying earlier. I will also, once again, show you your quotes where you make contradictory statements, and you can make whatever clarifications you think necessary.

Give me time ... I do have work to attend to for my employer.

Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: Tom] #92639
11/06/07 06:43 PM
11/06/07 06:43 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:

TE: That's why I said it is not so simple as you were saying. The link I provided does an excellent job of explaining the concept. Did you take a look at it?

Yes, I did read the article. But are you saying you believe God knew which way the future would play out because He foresaw His active participation?

Quote:

TE: Actually his view is a different than yours. C. S. Lewis believed in an eternal soul, and other ideas left over from Catholicism. This colored his view of foreknowledge, which is more Catholic than yours is.

I don't agree with either yours or his.

Based on what he wrote (in the quote I posted above), how does his view differ from mine?

Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: Tom] #92641
11/06/07 06:50 PM
11/06/07 06:50 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, your argument against this view assumes God's omnipresence robs us of our ability and freedom to choose.

I assume you mean omniscience? No, it doesn't. Many make this mistake. I've explained this to you many times.

What God knows does not impact our choices. The nature of the future logically has an impact on our choices. If there is only one future, then logically (not because someone or some thing forces us, but logically; "logically" is the key word here) it is not possible to choose some other option than what will happen in that one future.

As I've repeatedly pointed out, what God knows about the future is irrelevant to this point. What is relevant is the nature of the future.

I've explained this several dozen times to you, MM. I'm curious, do you feel like you're understanding what I've been trying to explain any better through our discussions?

Maybe this is just something you can't understand, or maybe it's something I can't explain to you in a way that you can understand. (I'm saying the shortcoming here may be mine, not yours).

The fact He is not bound by our time and space, that He can watch us do things tomorrow as if we did it yesterday, that He can watch us do things yesterday as if we are doing them now, in no way robs us our ability and freedom to choose. Please consider C.S. Lewis' explanation. Do you disagree with him?

Again, I've never claimed that God's omniscience robs us of our ability and freedom to choose. The fact that you are pointing this out to me is a bit concerning, since I've explained this to you so many times.

I meant omnipresence, not omniscience. God is omnipresent, therefore, for God, the future does not exist. Yesterday and tomorrow are, for God, now and always. As such, it doesn't affect our freedom or ability to choose. Nor does it affect the nature of our future. The future is what it is - a thing that belongs to our time and space continuum. The fact God is omnipresent does not destroy or alter our future, our time line.

Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: Mountain Man] #92642
11/06/07 07:09 PM
11/06/07 07:09 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Den: MM, it seems impossible to discuss this rationally with Tom since he keeps moving the target. You tire yourself out running from target to target as he gives contradicting statements as to his views of God's foreknowledge. You run back and forth: Does Tom believe that God knows what will happen in the future? No he does not. ... Wait! Yes he does ... No, wait! he doesn't. It wears you out!

MM: Elsewhere Tom has admitted that his views are not yet set in concrete. I'm not certain he has been waffling back and forth. That's why I try to ask clarifying questions. Thank you for trying to help me understand these things.

Page 30 of 37 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 36 37

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!