HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,629
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Nadi, 3 invisible), 3,062 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 31 of 37 1 2 29 30 31 32 33 36 37
Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: Mountain Man] #92647
11/06/07 08:38 PM
11/06/07 08:38 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Yes, I did read the article. But are you saying you believe God knew which way the future would play out because He foresaw His active participation?

I'm glad you looked at the article. Thanks.

The article spoke of the future being partially fixed and partially open. I think that's an excellent way of putting it, and thinking about it. There are certain things that are certain, for a variety of reasons. One reason could be because God actively influences it. Another could be because regarding the question in point, the character has been set (e.g. Peter will deny Christ; the 144,000 will be faithful unto death, etc.).

These are a couple of reasons, but not exhaustive, as to how there can be certain elements of the future which are fixed. God sees the juxtaposition of the fixed elements and yet to be determined elements.

Quote:
TE:I don't agree with either yours or his.

MM:Based on what he wrote (in the quote I posted above), how does his view differ from mine?

Just to mention one thing, your view is that the future is something that has already happened. The C. S. Lewis quote spoke of the future as something that is happening.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: Mountain Man] #92648
11/06/07 08:55 PM
11/06/07 08:55 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I meant omnipresence, not omniscience. God is omnipresent, therefore, for God, the future does not exist. Yesterday and tomorrow are, for God, now and always. As such, it doesn't affect our freedom or ability to choose. Nor does it affect the nature of our future. The future is what it is - a thing that belongs to our time and space continuum. The fact God is omnipresent does not destroy or alter our future, our time line.

You would accept the premise that reality is what God perceives it to be, wouldn't you? If this is the case, then if God perceives there to be no future, or past, but only now, then in reality there is no future or past, only now. If this is what reality is, then our perception that there are such things as a past, present, and future are wrong.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: Tom] #92655
11/07/07 04:01 PM
11/07/07 04:01 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: The article spoke of the future being partially fixed and partially open. I think that's an excellent way of putting it, and thinking about it. There are certain things that are certain, for a variety of reasons. One reason could be because God actively influences it. Another could be because regarding the question in point, the character has been set (e.g. Peter will deny Christ; the 144,000 will be faithful unto death, etc.).

These are a couple of reasons, but not exhaustive, as to how there can be certain elements of the future which are fixed. God sees the juxtaposition of the fixed elements and yet to be determined elements.

MM: These ideas imply God is merely a really good guesser. There are so many other variables that come into play which would offset His ability to know with any kind of certainty how the future will play out.

TE: Just to mention one thing, your view is that the future is something that has already happened. The C. S. Lewis quote spoke of the future as something that is happening.

MM: When we compare God's knowledge of the future with ours, or when we speak about both at the same time, there is sure to be some clumsy overlap of ideas. From God's perspective, as Lewis pointed out, our yesterdays and tomorrows, for God, happen simultaneously. From our perspective, though, tomorrow hasn't happened yet, whereas for God it is already happening.

Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: Tom] #92656
11/07/07 04:05 PM
11/07/07 04:05 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
I meant omnipresence, not omniscience. God is omnipresent, therefore, for God, the future does not exist. Yesterday and tomorrow are, for God, now and always. As such, it doesn't affect our freedom or ability to choose. Nor does it affect the nature of our future. The future is what it is - a thing that belongs to our time and space continuum. The fact God is omnipresent does not destroy or alter our future, our time line.

You would accept the premise that reality is what God perceives it to be, wouldn't you? If this is the case, then if God perceives there to be no future, or past, but only now, then in reality there is no future or past, only now. If this is what reality is, then our perception that there are such things as a past, present, and future are wrong.

There are two realities - God's and ours. They harmonize perfectly because God is God, He is omnipresent. The two realties do not conflict or cancel one another.

Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: Mountain Man] #92659
11/07/07 06:13 PM
11/07/07 06:13 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
TE: The article spoke of the future being partially fixed and partially open. I think that's an excellent way of putting it, and thinking about it. There are certain things that are certain, for a variety of reasons. One reason could be because God actively influences it. Another could be because regarding the question in point, the character has been set (e.g. Peter will deny Christ; the 144,000 will be faithful unto death, etc.).

MM: These ideas imply God is merely a really good guesser. There are so many other variables that come into play which would offset His ability to know with any kind of certainty how the future will play out.

God is omniscient. His ability to know what will happen is not in the least bit offset by the complexity of things due to these variables you have mentioned. But what you're mentioning here shows how the Open View requires God to be much more intelligent than the idea that there is just one future which God sees. It (the Open View) requires that God manage all the complexity in inherent in these variables.

TE: Just to mention one thing, your view is that the future is something that has already happened. The C. S. Lewis quote spoke of the future as something that is happening.

MM: When we compare God's knowledge of the future with ours, or when we speak about both at the same time, there is sure to be some clumsy overlap of ideas. From God's perspective, as Lewis pointed out, our yesterdays and tomorrows, for God, happen simultaneously. From our perspective, though, tomorrow hasn't happened yet, whereas for God it is already happening.

The biggest problem I see with this idea is that it isn't Scriptural. God speaks of Himself having acted, acting, or will act.

There are two realities - God's and ours. They harmonize perfectly because God is God, He is omnipresent. The two realties do not conflict or cancel one another.

Reality is, by definition, what is. What God perceives to be reality is reality. That is to say, what really is is what God knows. What we know is just an approximation. However, if there really is no such thing as a past or future, then our perception of reality is not just slightly off, but totally wrong.

Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: Tom] #92660
11/07/07 06:17 PM
11/07/07 06:17 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM, I'm interested in your response to the following question. Why would God create a being He was certain would sin?

Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: Tom] #92664
11/08/07 05:53 PM
11/08/07 05:53 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:

God is omniscient. His ability to know what will happen is not in the least bit offset by the complexity of things due to these variables you have mentioned. But what you're mentioning here shows how the Open View requires God to be much more intelligent than the idea that there is just one future which God sees. It (the Open View) requires that God manage all the complexity in inherent in these variables.

Intelligent? Or, just a good guesser? Is He intelligent enough to know exactly which one of the many possibilities He foresees will play out? How can He know part of it, but not all of it? Even Jean Dixon was able to get part of it right.

Quote:

The biggest problem I see with this idea is that it isn't Scriptural. God speaks of Himself having acted, acting, or will act.

Not Scriptural? The Bible is full of examples of God describing the future accurately. He knows the end from the beginning. He is eternal, without end or beginning. Time and space does not apply to God like they apply to us. The fact He speaks to us using terminology we are familiar with in no way means He is like us, bound by time and space.

Quote:

Reality is, by definition, what is. What God perceives to be reality is reality. That is to say, what really is is what God knows. What we know is just an approximation. However, if there really is no such thing as a past or future, then our perception of reality is not just slightly off, but totally wrong.

I would agree with you except for the fact God is not human, and we are not God. The radical differences between us and God necessitates two realities. It is unavoidable.

Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: Tom] #92665
11/08/07 05:59 PM
11/08/07 05:59 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
MM, I'm interested in your response to the following question. Why would God create a being He was certain would sin?

My answer to this oft repeated question hasn't changed. It was worth it. The end (FMAs living happily ever after) justifies the means (creating FMAs in spite of knowing in advance they would rebel). He would establish His throne in righteousness.

DA 22
From the beginning, God and Christ knew of the apostasy of Satan, and of the fall of man through the deceptive power of the apostate. God did not ordain that sin should exist, but He foresaw its existence, and made provision to meet the terrible emergency. {DA 22.2}

AG 12
But the defection of man, with all its consequences, was not hidden from the Omnipotent, and yet it did not deter Him from carrying out His eternal purpose; for the Lord would establish His throne in righteousness. God knows the end from the beginning. {AG 129.2}

Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: Mountain Man] #92669
11/08/07 07:32 PM
11/08/07 07:32 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
My answer to this oft repeated question hasn't changed. It was worth it. The end (FMAs living happily ever after) justifies the means (creating FMAs in spite of knowing in advance they would rebel). He would establish His throne in righteousness.

Sorry for repeating the same question. I know I complain when you do that, and I wouldn't blame you for getting upset, but I'm still not understanding this as an answer to my question. It seems like it's just rephrasing my question in other words.

You write, "it was worth it." But why go through the "it" at all? That's my question.

That is, you are saying that the end that will eventually come was worth the pain that we had to go through to get there. This makes perfect sense from my standpoint, because I believe sin was not something planned or inevitable. When sin happened, then that circumstance had to be dealt with, and the universe was forced to go through the pain and suffering which sin brings with it, and in the end, we can indeed say, "it was worth it."

However, from your standpoint, it wasn't necessary at all to go through any of this pain and suffering. God could simply have chosen not to create an FMA if the result of so doing is that sin would result. So that still leaves my question, why would God choose to create an FMA knowing that sin would result in so doing? Why wouldn't He follow an algorithm like the following?

A.Should I create creature #(pick a number).
B.Will the creation of said creature result in sin?
C.If yes, skip this one, and go to the next
D.If no, go and and create the creature.

Why in the world would He ever use the following rule for C, instead of the one above?

C.Go ahead and create the creature anyway.

In regards to the point, "He would establish His throne in righteousness," don't you think this means in spite of sin? That is, in spite of sin, God will establish His throne in righteousness. It seems to be clear that's what the point of this statement is.

But this just begs the question, couldn't God establish His throne in righteousness without sin? Or was God dependent upon sin in order to establish His throne in righteousness? This seems absurd, so if we take it for granted that God was not dependent upon sin in order to establish His throne in righteousness, my question still remains.

To put it simply, saying God would establish His throne in righteousness simply lays out what God will do, even in the presence of sin. It doesn't explain why God would choose to bring sin into the universe, unless one takes the point of view that God needs sin in order to establish His throne in righteousness.

By the way, do you agree with the statement I just made here, that God chose to bring sin into the universe? My logic is that God created a being knowing that the result of doing so would certainly result in sin. Since God did not need to do that, God chose to bring sin into the universe. Do you disagree with this statement? If so, where do you see a problem in the logic?

Re: What is the Truth About The Foreknowledge of God? [Re: Tom] #92673
11/08/07 08:47 PM
11/08/07 08:47 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Intelligent? Or, just a good guesser? Is He intelligent enough to know exactly which one of the many possibilities He foresees will play out?

That's like asking if God is powerful enough to create a rock so large He can't lift it.

Quote:
How can He know part of it, but not all of it?

He does know all of it. There not being a certain one that plays out is part of "it".

Quote:
Even Jean Dixon was able to get part of it right.

God has all of it right.

Quote:

Quote:

Not Scriptural? The Bible is full of examples of God describing the future accurately. He knows the end from the beginning. He is eternal, without end or beginning. Time and space does not apply to God like they apply to us. The fact He speaks to us using terminology we are familiar with in no way means He is like us, bound by time and space.

This is the part that is unscriptural, that is, your last sentence. There is absolutely nothing in Scripture that suggests that His speaking to us in terminology that we are familiar with is not the way things really are.

To give some quick examples: (I think these texts are mostly from the NRSV)

a)God speaks of regretting a decision He made (Gen: 6:6; 1 Sam. 15:10, 35; The flood and choosing Saul as king.)

b)God confronts the unexpected:

Quote:
What more was there to do for my vineyard that I have not done in it? When I expected it to yield grapes, why did it yield
wild grapes? (Isa. 5:4)

Quote:
I thought (or said, other translations), ‘After she has done all this she will return to me’; but she did not return (Jer. 3:6,7)

c)God expresses frustration. For example,

Quote:
I sought for anyone among them who would repair the wall and stand in the breach before me on behalf of the land, so that I would not destroy it: but I found no one. Therefore I have poured out my indignation upon them. (Ezek. 22:30-31)

d)God tests people to know their character. After the test He says things like, "Now I know that you fear God" (Gen. 22:12).

e)God speaks of terms of what may or may not be.

Quote:
If they will not believe you or heed the first sign, they may believe the second sign. (Ex. 4:8)

Quote:
If they face war they might change their minds
and return to Egypt. (Ex. 13:17)

Quote:
Perhaps they will understand, though they are a rebellious house. (Ezek. 12:3)

Quote:
It may be that they will listen ... (Jer. 36:3)

f. God changes His mind:

Quote:
At one moment I may declare concerning a nation or a kingdom, that I will pluck up and break down and destroy it, but if that nation, concerning which I have spoken, turns from its evil, I will change my mind about the disaster that I intended to bring on it. And at another moment I may declare concerning a nation or a kingdom that I will build and plant it, but if it does evil in my sight, not listening to my voice, then I will change my mind about the good that I had intended to do to it. (Jer. 18:7-10)

Other texts expressing this idea include: Exodus 32:14; 33:1-3, 14; Deuteronomy 9:13-29; 1 Samuel 2:27-31, 1 Kings 21:21-29; 2 Chronicles 12:5-8; Jeremiah 26:2-3; Ezekiel 4:9-15; Amos 7:1-6; Jonah 3:10.

A lot more could be said about this, but this should be sufficient to establish the point that God expresses Himself as being impacted by events as they occur in time. Or to say it another way, time is meaningful for God in a similar way that it is meaningful for us. You are suggesting this is not the case, that God expresses Himself in terminology that we can understand, but these expressions are not indicative of what is really happening.

There is no Scriptural basis for asserting this. The passages I cited (and there are many, many more; this is just a drop in the bucket) are just as much a part of Scripture as the passages which discuss God's knowledge of the future in certain terms.

The reality is that some passage present God as knowing the future in certain terms, and some present God as not knowing the future in these terms. Is this contradictory? No, not if the future is partially settled and partially not settled. That which is certain, God expresses as certain. That which is not, God expresses differently.

It is not necessary to throw away large chunks of Scripture as being rhetorical or just being a figure of speech or not presenting what really happens, simply because they do not match our pre-existing viewpoint. Indeed, if one takes uses this methodology to interpret Scripture, it's hard to see how any position taken could be refuted. Whenever there is evidence that the given position is wrong, this evidence can be written off as a figure of speech or rhetorical device, and discarded.

Quote:

Quote:

I would agree with you except for the fact God is not human, and we are not God.

So you would agree that reality is as God perceives it to be, if He were human. But because God is not human, that means reality is different than what God perceives it to be?

Quote:
The radical differences between us and God necessitates two realities. It is unavoidable.

There's aren't two realities. There is just reality. Reality is what is.

How one perceives reality to be does not alter reality, regardless of whether the being perceiving reality is human or not. It's difficult to conceive that one would argue that reality is different than what God perceives it to be. Given that reality is what is, then reality is what God perceives it to be.

I can make the same point without using the word "reality." I'll state it this way. What is, is what God perceives it as being. If we perceive what is differently than what God does, to the degree that our perception differs from God, our perception of what is is wrong.

To assert that there are two realities is to assert that what is exists (not merely is perceived, but exists) in two different forms.

Well, this is getting pretty philosophical. If we just stick to Scripture, we can see that there are many Scriptures that present God as experiencing reality in time, as we do.

Page 31 of 37 1 2 29 30 31 32 33 36 37

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!