HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,656
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 17
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Kevin H, Karen Y, 2 invisible), 2,721 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 12 of 25 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 24 25
Re: Review: God of the possible [Re: Rosangela] #93151
11/26/07 11:28 PM
11/26/07 11:28 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline OP
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
I regard both determined future and a perfectly knowable future the same as you regard a determined future. You see a fundamental difference between a determined future and a perfectly knowable future while I do not. And we are not going to come to any other agreement than to disagree peacefully. Is there anything more to add?

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: Review: God of the possible [Re: Rosangela] #93153
11/26/07 11:47 PM
11/26/07 11:47 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM: There are trillions of possible DNA combinations. Multiply this by trillions of FMAs and you arrive at astronomical varieties and possibilities.

Quote:
Yet you believe God knows, with settled certainty, not only the genealogy of everyone but also things unique to each one, knowledge which is based on the trillions of different DNA combinations they could inherit and the trillions of different character traits they could develop, and that He has known these things an eternity before anyone existed.

In spite of all this you also believe God did not know Lucifer and A&E would rebel. This anomaly blows me away, Tom. I don't see how anyone can believe it.

The number of possibilities involved is irrelevant. It's as easy for God to see trillions of different possibilities as it is for Him to see one. I don't see why this should be difficult to understand.

Regarding why God wouldn't know that Adam and Eve would certainly rebel beforehand, the simple reason is that it is because they hadn't decided to rebel yet.

God saw all the possible futures, and in some of them A&E rebelled and in others they didn't. It was up to A&E to determine which of the possible futures would come to pass.

If you read the account of what happened in Early Writings, it's obvious A&E's sinning was not a foregone conclusion. Just look at what happened!

Quote:
Sorrow filled heaven as it was realized that man was lost and that the world which God had created was to be filled with mortals doomed to misery, sickness, and death, and that there was no way of escape for the offender. The whole family of Adam must die. I then saw the lovely Jesus and beheld an expression of sympathy and sorrow upon His countenance. Soon I saw Him approach the exceeding bright light which enshrouded the Father. Said my accompanying angel, "He is in close converse with His Father." The anxiety of the angels seemed to be intense while Jesus was communing with His Father. Three times He was shut in by the glorious light about the Father, and the third time He came from the Father we could see His person. His countenance was calm, free from all perplexity and trouble, and shone with a loveliness which words cannot describe. He then made known to the angelic choir that a way of escape had been made for lost man; that He had been pleading with His Father, and had obtained permission to give His own life as a ransom for the race, to bear their sins, and take the sentence of death upon Himself, thus opening a way whereby they might, through the merits of His blood, find pardon for past transgressions, and by obedience be brought back to the garden from which they were driven. (EW 126)

There's no way EGW could have written this if A&E's sinning was something certain. How could God have taken Jesus' going into see Him 3 times to decide what He was going to do? Notice that she wrote that Jesus "obtained permission." That was the whole purpose of their meeting. He obtained permission because He didn't have it yet. He didn't have it yet, because Adam and Eve hadn't sinned yet, and it wasn't certain that the plan of salvation would be necessary.

The whole account is nonsensical if everything that happened was a foregone conclusion.

Quote:
MM: The sun is not a FMA. So, how can this insight help me understand how God can know some things with settled certainty and not the rest of it?

The principle is the same. God sees every possible future. Some things happen in every possible future.

Quote:
MM: Since the future, as we know it, is not yet a reality, how can anyone know anything about the future in terms of reality? Unless, of course, they exist outside of time. God existed before the advent of time, therefore, He is not bound by it.

Time began the moment God created FMAs. The future, a form of time, did not exist before the creation of FMAs. The advent of time, however, did not alter God, that is, it did not alter His omnipresence, His ability to be everywhere eternally.

Because of these things, God's reality is different than ours, that is, His knowledge of the future is different than ours. The truth, true knowledge, is the basis of reality. Since God knows everything about the future, even from your perspective, means God's reality is different than ours. His knowledge of the future and our knowledge of the future is worlds apart. Thus, His reality is different than ours. Right?

No. God's *perception* of reality is different than ours, but reality itself does not change depending upon who is observing it. Reality is what is, not what someone thinks it is (except in the case of God, because what is is what God thinks it is).

Quote:
MM: If God can only know ahead of time a person's possible character, not their actual character, how He know anything about anyone with settled certainty an eternity before they exist?

The possible futures change with time. For example, God always knew it was possible you would exist. However, if, for example, Christ had come in the 1850's, as He could have, then you would not have existed. Similarly, many things had to happen just so in order for you to be conceived. Once you were conceived, God knew a lot about you, as there is a lot one can know from the DNA code, things man is just beginning to discover.

I'm stopping here, to keep this from being too long.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Review: God of the possible [Re: Rosangela] #93154
11/27/07 12:12 AM
11/27/07 12:12 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
MM: Why, then, do you keep referring to God's knowledge of the future?

Because from the way one perceives God to know the future, how one conceives of the future can be inferred.

Quote:
MM: Oh, okay, please forgive me. So, you believe God knows with settled certainty specific choices FMAs will make (i.e. flavor preferences) an eternity before they exist, but that He did not know with settled certainty Lucifer would rebel or that he would deceive A&E into rebelling.

I didn't say I believe God knows with certainty what specific choices FMAs will make an eternity before they exist. I gave an example, using the flavor preferences as a hypothetical, of how God could know with certainty what someone would do, assuming their existence.

Quote:
MM: The problem I see with your logic is that it infers your quotes prove God did not know beforehand how these particular events would play out.

You mean "imply," not "infer."

My logic doesn't imply the conclusions I stated; the quotes do, for the reasons I stated. \:\)

If you say you have a problem with the logic, then that *should* mean that you see something invalid in the argument I'm presenting, not that you disagree with the conclusion.

Of course you're free to disagree that the quotes imply what I say they do, which is what we are discussing.

Basically you are saying, "I disagree with your logic because I disagree with what you are saying," but that could just be because you want to believe what you want to believe. There might not be anything wrong with my logic. If there is something wrong with the logic, you should be able to point it out, rather than simply stating you disagree with it because it implies something you disagree with.

Quote:
MM: I still don't know how can know some things with settled certainty an eternity before it happens and not other things. Your suggestion that it has to do with knowing their DNA and character an eternity before they exist doesn't make sense to me (from your perspective).

I didn't say some things with settled certainty an eternity before it happens were known. I don't know where you got this idea from. It's not even certain, from eternity, that a given person will exist, so how could something about that person be known with certainty?

What can be known from eternity are some things about the person, provided they exist.

Quote:
TE: You mean why didn't God decide not to create them, rather than take the risk involved in creating them? God preferred to have the created beings around than not, notwithstanding the risk involved.

MM: I mean, why didn't God leave uncreated the FMAs He knew might rebel?

God preferred to have the created beings around than not, notwithstanding the risk involved.

Quote:
MM: You wrote, "If God knew man would rebel, that would mean there was some reason why it should happen." From this statement I hear you saying, If God knew man would rebel, that would mean there was some reason why it happened, that God knows the reason why they sinned, and if God knew why they sinned it would cease to be sin.

So, again, since Jesus knew Judas was going to betray Him, does it mean there was some reason why it happened, that Jesus knew the reason why, therefore, it ceases to be sin?

You're confusing the existence of sin with instances of sin.

Quote:
MM: If God saying so is all it takes to convince us "the wages of sin is death" why didn't He just say so in the beginning and circumvent the GC? Also, your words imply the GC was necessary to guarantee rebellion will not reoccur. Was there no other way?

We weren't talking about the statement "the wages of sin is death." We were talking about the statement that sin won't arise again.

Regarding the GC being necessary, once sin arose, it was necessary. If it weren't, God would not have allowed it.

Quote:
MM: Your only legitimate basis for believing rebellion will not reoccur is God's saying so. Where you and I differ is how and why God knows it will not happen again.

No it's not. I've been consistently giving two reasons, one based on foreknowledge and the other based on logic. The foreknowledge reason is that God foresees every possible future, and in none of these futures does sin occur.

The logical reason is that the Great Controversy has answered the questions regarding God, and revealed things more clearly about His character that weren't known so well.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Review: God of the possible [Re: Tom] #93162
11/27/07 04:05 PM
11/27/07 04:05 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:
MM: Your only legitimate basis for believing rebellion will not reoccur is God's saying so. Where you and I differ is how and why God knows it will not happen again.

TE: No it's not. I've been consistently giving two reasons, one based on foreknowledge and the other based on logic. The foreknowledge reason is that God foresees every possible future, and in none of these futures does sin occur.

The logical reason is that the Great Controversy has answered the questions regarding God, and revealed things more clearly about His character that weren't known so well.

MM: You have yet to show precedence for the idea that knowledge of God's character guarantees rebellion will not happen. It didn't prevent Lucifer from rebelling. Nor have you proven God knows anything about the future with settled certainty save for how inanimate things will perform.

Re: Review: God of the possible [Re: Mountain Man] #93166
11/27/07 06:20 PM
11/27/07 06:20 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM: You have yet to show precedence for the idea that knowledge of God's character guarantees rebellion will not happen.

It's impossible to show precedence. It's a situation that is will never have occurred until it occurs.

It didn't prevent Lucifer from rebelling. Nor have you proven God knows anything about the future with settled certainty save for how inanimate things will perform.

How did I prove that God knows something with settled certainty for inanimate things? Tell me, and I'll reuse the same proof. It's the same principle involved, so this will be easy.

Re: Review: God of the possible [Re: Tom] #93167
11/27/07 08:33 PM
11/27/07 08:33 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I just thought of a simple way of explaining how the future is and how God sees the future, from the perspective I've been presenting.

Imagine that you knew everything about everybody and everything, and understood physical laws perfectly, could reason from cause to effect perfectly, and could consider and analyze a quintillion different complicated things as easily as 1, and could visualize things perfectly.

This is how God sees the future. Not by having some special crystal-ball like power, but by being able to reason from cause to effect, understanding everything about people and things, and being able to consider a quintillion different things as easily as 1.

Looking at things this way, it's easy to understand what the future is like. It's like it is for us, except with a lot less uncertainty, since we have such limited understanding about people, things, physical laws, and can't keep more than one complicated thing in our heads at a time, if that.

Re: Review: God of the possible [Re: Tom] #93240
12/04/07 05:15 PM
12/04/07 05:15 PM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
Has God decided when your discussion will end, or will you have the freedom to make that decision?

"Here is a last piece of advice. If you believe in goodness and if you value the approval of God, fix your minds on the things which are holy and right and pure and beautiful and good. Model your conduct on what you have learned from me, on what I have told you and shown you, and you will find the God of peace will be with you."
Re: Review: God of the possible [Re: Johann] #93244
12/04/07 09:08 PM
12/04/07 09:08 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
That's a whole another question!

Re: Review: God of the possible [Re: Tom] #93246
12/05/07 10:57 AM
12/05/07 10:57 AM
Johann  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2014

Retired Pastor
3000+ Member
Iceland
 Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
That's a whole another question!

How?

"Here is a last piece of advice. If you believe in goodness and if you value the approval of God, fix your minds on the things which are holy and right and pure and beautiful and good. Model your conduct on what you have learned from me, on what I have told you and shown you, and you will find the God of peace will be with you."
Re: Review: God of the possible [Re: Tom] #93262
12/05/07 05:05 PM
12/05/07 05:05 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:
MM: You have yet to show precedence for the idea that knowledge of God's character guarantees rebellion will not happen.

TE: It's impossible to show precedence. It's a situation that is will never have occurred until it occurs.

MM: I'm glad you agree there is no precedence for your position.

Quote:
MM: It didn't prevent Lucifer from rebelling.

TE:

MM: I notice you didn't comment on this point. Why?

Quote:
MM: Nor have you proven God knows anything about the future with settled certainty save for how inanimate things will perform.

TE: How did I prove that God knows something with settled certainty for inanimate things? Tell me, and I'll reuse the same proof. It's the same principle involved, so this will be easy.

MM: You listed the rising and setting sun, an inanimate object, as an example of God knowing the future with settled certainty. But you have resisted the idea God can know the decisions of FMAs an eternity before they exist with settled certainty. For example, you maintain God did not know Lucifer would rebel and deceive A&E into rebelling.

Page 12 of 25 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 24 25

Moderator  Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Messages for This Time
by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:44 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/28/24 02:32 PM
Meaning of Lazarus and the Rich Man
by dedication. 05/27/24 10:56 PM
What is the Biblical Reckoning of a Day?
by dedication. 05/27/24 01:26 AM
Soul and Body sleep
by Rick H. 05/25/24 09:15 AM
The Flood
by Rick H. 05/25/24 09:12 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/21/24 02:04 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 05/30/24 09:50 AM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by dedication. 05/29/24 01:05 AM
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/28/24 12:05 AM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!