HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,619
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Nadi, 2 invisible), 3,409 guests, and 22 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 15 of 28 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 27 28
Re: Are there any excuses for sinning? [Re: Tom] #93536
12/17/07 04:01 PM
12/17/07 04:01 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Law and justice demands of God the death of sinners. Pardon is not a substitute for the death penalty. Death must happen. Jesus paid our sin debt of death to law and justice. His death was required. There was no other way to save us.

---

Jesus wasn't abrogating the "eye for an eye" law. Instead, He was addressing an abuse of it.

Re: Are there any excuses for sinning? [Re: Tom] #93546
12/17/07 06:29 PM
12/17/07 06:29 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM, please provide some motivation for what you believe, which is to say, a reason why. For example, consider the following:

Quote:
Had God pardoned Adam's sin without an atonement, sin would have been immortalized, and would have been perpetuated with a boldness that would have been without restraint (RH April 23, 1901)

This makes perfect sense. This explains why death was necessary. Sin would have been perpetuated without death.

I'm not seeing any reasoning similar to this in your explanations. I see you say, "I don't know why this is this way, but it is." or "I don't understand this" or "I can't explain this." We should have a reason for things we believe, so we can explain them reasonably to others. Again, I find what EGW wrote above here to make perfect sense.

Regarding Christ's statement to turn the other cheek, I still think you're missing the point. As the quote I provided stated, the principle Christ espoused was one He lived. He wasn't addressing the proper use of "eye for eye," but was revealing the character of God, which is not "eye for eye," but "turn the other cheek."

Quote:
The whole earthly life of Jesus was a manifestation of this principle. It was to bring the bread of life to His enemies that our Saviour left His home in heaven.

Please take another look at the quote I provided. It's a beautiful idea being expressed.

You realize if God followed the "eye for eye" principle that we'd all be lost, don't you?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Are there any excuses for sinning? [Re: Tom] #93552
12/17/07 06:55 PM
12/17/07 06:55 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: You realize if God followed the "eye for eye" principle that we'd all be lost, don't you?

MM: Tom, who do you think invented the law of "an eye for an eye"?

Re: Are there any excuses for sinning? [Re: Mountain Man] #93553
12/17/07 06:58 PM
12/17/07 06:58 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: This makes perfect sense. This explains why death was necessary. Sin would have been perpetuated without death.

MM: You are taking this out of context. Jesus' death was necessary because law and justice required it of God to save sinners. To pardon sinners without the death of Jesus would perpetuate sinning.

Re: Are there any excuses for sinning? [Re: Mountain Man] #93562
12/17/07 08:39 PM
12/17/07 08:39 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Here's the quote:

Quote:
Adam listened to the words of the tempter, and yielding to his insinuations, fell into sin. Why was not the death penalty at once enforced in his case?--Because a ransom was found. God's only begotten Son volunteered to take the sin of man upon Himself, and to make an atonement for the fallen race. There could have been no pardon for sin had this atonement not been made. Had God pardoned Adam's sin without an atonement, sin would have been immortalized, and would have been perpetuated with a boldness that would have been without restraint (RH April 23, 1901).

What am I taking out of context? I pointed out that the statement "Had God pardoned Adam's sin without an atonement, sin would have been immortalized, and would have been perpetuated" makes perfect sense. What's not in context?

As I pointed out earlier, it seems to me that EGW is saying the same thing Fifield is saying here:

Quote:
But some one said to me the other day, Did not Christ have to die to make the Word of God sure? because God said, If ye sin, ye shall die. In the first place, what did God mean when he said, If you sin, you will die? Did that include spiritual, physical, and eternal death? Did Christ die the spiritual or the eternal death? - No. Then is not that whole thing a fraud? And every time the Bible speaks of the debt, it is God that paid the debt in Christ, to propitiate us, to reconcile us. But still, you say, it had to be done before God could pardon. Yes, that is true; and I want to show you why; and then to-morrow night we will continue the subject by studying the sacrifice of Christ, and seeing that it is a larger thing than you have probably thought it was.

Any pardon and any forgiveness that would not take away the effect of sin, but that would lead us more and more into sin, and into the misery that comes from sin, would be worth nothing. If the law of God was an arbitrary thing, that did not have any penalty attached to it, the Lord could say, I will pardon you. But when you transgress that law, it is death; and when you keep the law, it is life and joy and peace.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Are there any excuses for sinning? [Re: Tom] #93584
12/18/07 12:11 AM
12/18/07 12:11 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: What am I taking out of context?

MM: Here is what makes sense to me:

She asks, "Why was not the death penalty at once enforced in his case?" In other words,, Why didn't God enforce the death penalty, as promised, the instant A&E sinned? Why did He pardon them instead of execute them? What was the legal basis of His decision? How did He justify it?

The answer is short and sweet, "Because a ransom was found." Someone else died in their place, namely, the "Lamb slain from the foundation of the world." Law and justice demand of God death for sin and pardon. Mere pardon is not enough; the Son of God must die in consequence of sinning.

"God's only begotten Son volunteered to take the sin of man upon Himself, and to make an atonement for the fallen race. There could have been no pardon for sin had this atonement not been made."

The "atonement" mentioned here is in reference to the death penalty. Jesus paid our sin debt of death through penal substitution. It was paid in full to law and justice.

"Had God pardoned Adam's sin without an atonement, sin would have been immortalized, and would have been perpetuated with a boldness that would have been without restraint."

In other words, if God had pardoned A&E without shedding the blood of Jesus, sinning would have been immortalized. Law and justice would have been undermined.

Re: Are there any excuses for sinning? [Re: Mountain Man] #93585
12/18/07 12:12 AM
12/18/07 12:12 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
TE: You realize if God followed the "eye for eye" principle that we'd all be lost, don't you?

MM: I take it you believe Jesus invented this law. If so, why, then, do you believe He rescinded it when He was here in the flesh?

Re: Are there any excuses for sinning? [Re: Mountain Man] #93595
12/18/07 01:10 AM
12/18/07 01:10 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
In other words, if God had pardoned A&E without shedding the blood of Jesus, sinning would have been immortalized. Law and justice would have been undermined.

She says that sinning would have been perpetuated. That is, it would have continued. Her logic is the same as Fifield's.

Quote:
But some one said to me the other day, Did not Christ have to die to make the Word of God sure? because God said, If ye sin, ye shall die. In the first place, what did God mean when he said, If you sin, you will die? Did that include spiritual, physical, and eternal death? Did Christ die the spiritual or the eternal death? - No. Then is not that whole thing a fraud? And every time the Bible speaks of the debt, it is God that paid the debt in Christ, to propitiate us, to reconcile us. But still, you say, it had to be done before God could pardon. Yes, that is true; and I want to show you why; and then to-morrow night we will continue the subject by studying the sacrifice of Christ, and seeing that it is a larger thing than you have probably thought it was.

Any pardon and any forgiveness that would not take away the effect of sin, but that would lead us more and more into sin, and into the misery that comes from sin, would be worth nothing. If the law of God was an arbitrary thing, that did not have any penalty attached to it, the Lord could say, I will pardon you. But when you transgress that law, it is death; and when you keep the law, it is life and joy and peace.

Especially note the last paragraph. This is the same point EGW is making.

Re: Are there any excuses for sinning? [Re: Tom] #93596
12/18/07 01:11 AM
12/18/07 01:11 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:

This isn't an answer to my question.

Re: Are there any excuses for sinning? [Re: Tom] #93597
12/18/07 01:14 AM
12/18/07 01:14 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
MM: I take it you believe Jesus invented this law. If so, why, then, do you believe He rescinded it when He was here in the flesh?

Following in the vein of answering a question with a question, what do you think of the law of divorce? Who instituted that? Why, then, did Jesus say that anyone who left their spouse, other than for adultery was guilty of adultery? Was He contradicting His own law here?

(I'm answering your question with these questions because the same principle applies to both this situation and the "eye for an eye" one.)

Do you acknowledge the point that turning the other cheek was not something Jesus was speaking about doing in special circumstances, but was, in fact, simply a revelation of how Jesus lived His own life (and thus, a revelation of God's character)?

Page 15 of 28 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 27 28

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:07 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!