HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,619
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 9
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, Nadi, 2 invisible), 3,494 guests, and 14 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 47 1 2 3 4 5 46 47
Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Mountain Man] #93712
12/21/07 07:16 PM
12/21/07 07:16 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM, we have a thread on this that went on for a couple hundred posts. How can you not even remember the basic positions?

I wrote this:

Quote:
Regarding God's killing people with fire, or in any other way, I note that one of the commands states:

Quote:
Thou shall not kill. (Ex. 20:13; Deut. 5:17)

I also note that Christ was the express image of the Father, and that all that we can know about God was revealed by Him. I don't recall Him killing anyone.

However, I do recall that He was asked specifically what He thought about the idea of killing people with fire, and His response was:

Quote:
But he turned, and rebuked them, and said, Ye know not what manner of spirit ye are of. For the Son of man is not come to destroy men's lives, but to save them. (Luke 9:55, 56)

I think Jesus was right.

This answer seems to me to be very clear. I don't see the need to amend this. I also am quite sure it is no different than the what I stated when we had this discussion before.

However, I'll post another post after this one which may be helpful, in response to your request to state my position.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Tom] #93713
12/21/07 07:18 PM
12/21/07 07:18 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
There are those who think that the position that God does not kill requires one to explain away many Bible stories. I don't think it's a matter of explaining away all of the Bible Stories, but of understanding a general principle that can be applied to other circumstances. For example, in Scripture were read that God sent fiery serpents upon the Israelites because of their bickering, and that many died because of this. So this certainly sounds like God was killing them by way of snakes. But from the Spirit of Prophecy we discover that actually what happened is that God withdrew His protection. He didn't send any snakes anywhere. The snakes were already there.

God removed His protection and people died. That's the principle.

Another example of this would be the destruction of Jerusalem. Scripture tells us that God was responsible for the destruction of Jerusalem, that He took vengeance, and "killed" those who killed His Son. Yet from "The Great Controversy" we read:

Quote:
The Jews had forged their own fetters; they had filled for themselves the cup of vengeance. In the utter destruction that befell them as a nation, and in all the woes that followed them in their dispersion, they were but reaping the harvest which their own hands had sown. Says the prophet: "O Israel, thou hast destroyed thyself;" "for thou hast fallen by thine iniquity." Hosea 13:9; 14:1. Their sufferings are often represented as a punishment visited upon them by the direct decree of God. It is thus that the great deceiver seeks to conceal his own work. By stubborn rejection of divine love and mercy, the Jews had caused the protection of God to be withdrawn from them, and Satan was permitted to rule them according to his will. The horrible cruelties enacted in the destruction of Jerusalem are a demonstration of Satan's vindictive power over those who yield to his control. (GC 35, 36)

Ok, here's the point. In Scripture, there's absolutely no record that these two events took place by way of God's withdrawing His protection. But we know this was the case from the Spirit of Prophecy. Was she "explaining away" these stories? I don't think so. I think she was enunciating a general principle that can be applied elsewhere, also without explaining away any stories any more than in these examples.

Why do we suppose that if God is being portrayed as violent, that there *isn't* an explanation? It seems like the hermeneutic being used here is "if the Bible says God is being violent, then He is, unless Ellen White says He's not, in which case He's not."

Another difficulty I have with the idea that God is violent is that is so contrasts from Jesus' life. Where was Jesus violent? Where did He kill anyone? I don't see how if this is the case (that God resorts to violence, when needed) that we could say that God is like Jesus Christ, if Jesus Christ never resorted to violence, no matter what. These seem like two different modus operandi. How could we say that "all that man can know about God" was revealed by the life and teachings of His Son in this case? It seems to me like a very important thing that we should know about God was left out in this case.

Here's one last objection. From the Spirit of Prophecy we read:

Quote:
Force is the last resort of every false religion. (7 SDABC 976)

Now if we take the position that God does not ordinarily resort to violence, or force, but as a last resort will do so, is He not acting like "false religion"? Why point out that force is the last resort of every false religion if it's the last resort of true religion as well?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Mountain Man] #93832
12/26/07 07:04 PM
12/26/07 07:04 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, thank you for the thoughts you shared. Indeed, there are times when Jesus gives Satan permission to destroy sinners. Clearly, though, it saddens Him when circumstances force Him to allow it. Destroying sinners is the last thing He wants to do. He lives to save, not to destroy.

By the way, when Jesus gives Satan permission to destroy sinners is he doing the work of God? Why does Jesus have to give Satan permission to do things that would happen without him? The snakes would have bitten the sinners, the Romans would have killed the Jews, etc.

But you still haven't addressed the Scriptures I have in mind. Here they are again. Do you agree that the following passages describe Jesus using fire to kill people? Or, do you believe Jesus gave Satan permission to destroy them with fire?

Leviticus
10:1 And Nadab and Abihu, the sons of Aaron, took either of them his censer, and put fire therein, and put incense thereon, and offered strange fire before the LORD, which he commanded them not.
10:2 And there went out fire from the LORD, and devoured them, and they died before the LORD.

Numbers
11:1 And [when] the people complained, it displeased the LORD: and the LORD heard [it]; and his anger was kindled; and the fire of the LORD burnt among them, and consumed [them that were] in the uttermost parts of the camp.

Numbers
16:35 And there came out a fire from the LORD, and consumed the two hundred and fifty men that offered incense.
16:46 And Moses said unto Aaron, Take a censer, and put fire therein from off the altar, and put on incense, and go quickly unto the congregation, and make an atonement for them: for there is wrath gone out from the LORD; the plague is begun.

2 Kings
1:10 And Elijah answered and said to the captain of fifty, If I [be] a man of God, then let fire come down from heaven, and consume thee and thy fifty. And there came down fire from heaven, and consumed him and his fifty.
1:11 Again also he sent unto him another captain of fifty with his fifty. And he answered and said unto him, O man of God, thus hath the king said, Come down quickly.
1:12 And Elijah answered and said unto them, If I [be] a man of God, let fire come down from heaven, and consume thee and thy fifty. And the fire of God came down from heaven, and consumed him and his fifty.

NOTE: Compare the fire above with the fire below:

Leviticus
9:24 And there came a fire out from before the LORD, and consumed upon the altar the burnt offering and the fat: [which] when all the people saw, they shouted, and fell on their faces.

1 Kings
18:38 Then the fire of the LORD fell, and consumed the burnt sacrifice, and the wood, and the stones, and the dust, and licked up the water that [was] in the trench.

Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Mountain Man] #93844
12/26/07 08:21 PM
12/26/07 08:21 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Tom, thank you for the thoughts you shared. Indeed, there are times when Jesus gives Satan permission to destroy sinners. Clearly, though, it saddens Him when circumstances force Him to allow it. Destroying sinners is the last thing He wants to do. He lives to save, not to destroy.

Well said!

Quote:
By the way, when Jesus gives Satan permission to destroy sinners is he doing the work of God?

No.

Quote:
Their sufferings are often represented as a punishment visited upon them by the direct decree of God. It is thus that the great deceiver seeks to conceal his own work.(GC 35)

Quote:
Why does Jesus have to give Satan permission to do things that would happen without him? The snakes would have bitten the sinners, the Romans would have killed the Jews, etc.

If God did not put a hedge around us, to use the expression in Job, we'd all be destroyed. We have no idea of the dangers that Christ is constantly protecting us from (GC 36). Jesus has to "give permission," to use your expression, because not giving permission must be the norm, in order to keep us alive.

Quote:
But you still haven't addressed the Scriptures I have in mind. Here they are again. Do you agree that the following passages describe Jesus using fire to kill people? Or, do you believe Jesus gave Satan permission to destroy them with fire?

In brief, what I believe is that GC 35-37 lays out the principles of what happens when God's wrath is poured out, and these principles apply equally to whatever incidents one wishes to consider where God is described as killing someone or some group of people, whether by fire, or any other means.

We've spoken about this at great length in the past. If you want more detail, please find the thread where this was discussed and take a look at that.

Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Tom] #93850
12/26/07 08:56 PM
12/26/07 08:56 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Who or what would destroy sinners if God did not protect us? Snakes and Romans?

In the cases involving fire (quoted above) are you saying Satan used fire to kill people?

Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Mountain Man] #93853
12/26/07 09:05 PM
12/26/07 09:05 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Who or what would destroy sinners if God did not protect us? Snakes and Romans?

Here's the GC quote:

Quote:
We cannot know how much we owe to Christ for the peace and protection which we enjoy. It is the restraining power of God that prevents mankind from passing fully under the control of Satan. The disobedient and unthankful have great reason for gratitude for God's mercy and long-suffering in holding in check the cruel, malignant power of the evil one. But when men pass the limits of divine forbearance, that restraint is removed. God does not stand toward the sinner as an executioner of the sentence against transgression; but He leaves the rejectors of His mercy to themselves, to reap that which they have sown. Every ray of light rejected, every warning despised or unheeded, every passion indulged, every transgression of the law of God, is a seed sown which yields its unfailing harvest. The Spirit of God, persistently resisted, is at last withdrawn from the sinner, and then there is left no power to control the evil passions of the soul, and no protection from the malice and enmity of Satan. The destruction of Jerusalem is a fearful and solemn warning to all who are trifling with the offers of divine grace and resisting the pleadings of divine mercy. Never was there given a more decisive testimony to God's hatred of sin and to the certain punishment that will fall upon the guilty.(GC 36)

In the cases involving fire (quoted above) are you saying Satan used fire to kill people?

Yes, indirectly.

Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Tom] #93857
12/26/07 09:26 PM
12/26/07 09:26 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Snakes, Romans, fire, etc, is Satan killing people? Is that what you're saying?

Why does Jesus need to give Satan permission to kill people if it is the natural consequence of sinning? Why is Satan necessary at all if it happens naturally the moment God withdraws His protection?

Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Mountain Man] #93865
12/26/07 09:59 PM
12/26/07 09:59 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Satan certainly isn't necessary to destroy people, if that's what you're thinking.

It seems to me the GC 36 statement is very clear. I'm not getting what the confusion is.

God protects us from all sorts of dangers, many of which we don't know. When people reject Him, eventually He will give them over to the results of their choice. Don't you think this is a fair reading of GC 36?

Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Tom] #93884
12/27/07 06:10 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
GC 36 explains one of the methods God uses to punish and destroy sinners. But it doesn't explain the other ways. The same destructive power exercised by holy angels when God commands is exercised by evil angels when He permits.

It is a messy distortion of the facts to read the fire quotes (posted above) and conclude God gave Satan permission to punish and destroy sinners with fire. God forbade the fathers to publicly lament the death of their boys.

Quote:
"And Nadab and Abihu, the sons of Aaron, took either of them his censer, and put fire therein, and put incense thereon, and offered strange fire before the Lord, which he commanded them not. And there went out fire from the Lord, and devoured them, and they died before the Lord. Then Moses said unto Aaron, This is it that the

Lord spake, saying, I will be sanctified in them that come nigh me, and before all the people I will be glorified. And Aaron held his peace." {1SP 276.2}

The sons of Aaron did not take the sacred fire from the altar, which the Lord himself had kindled, and which he had commanded the priests to use when they offered incense before him. They took common fire, and put it in their censers, and put incense thereon. This was a transgression of God's express command, and his judgment speedily followed. Aaron's sons, who officiated in holy things, would not have thus transgressed if they had not indulged freely in the use of wine, and been partially intoxicated. They gratified the appetite, which debased their faculties, and disqualified them for their sacred office. Their intellects were beclouded, so that they did not have a realizing sense of the difference between the sacredness of the fire which God let fall from Heaven, and which was kept burning continually upon the altar, and the common fire, which he had said they should not use. If they had had the full and clear use of their reasoning powers, they would have recoiled with horror at the presumptuous transgression of God's positive commands. They had been especially favored of God in being of the number of the elders who witnessed the glory of God in the mount. They understood that the most careful self-examination and sanctification were required on their part before presenting themselves in the sanctuary, where God's presence was manifested. {1SP 277.1}

"And Moses said unto Aaron, and unto Eleazar, and unto Ithamar, his sons, Uncover not your heads, neither rend your clothes, lest ye die, and lest wrath come upon all the people; but let your brethren, the whole house of Israel, bewail

the burning which the Lord hath kindled. And ye shall not go out from the door of the tabernacle of the congregation, lest ye die; for the anointing oil of the Lord is upon you. And they did according to the word of Moses." The father of the men slain, and their brothers, were forbidden to manifest any signs of grief for the ones who had been justly punished of God. When Moses reminded Aaron of the words of the Lord, that he would be sanctified in them that came nigh to him, Aaron was silent. He knew that God was just; and he murmured not. His heart was grieved at the dreadful death of his sons while in their disobedience; yet, according to God's command, he made no expression of his sorrow, lest he should share the same fate of his sons, and the congregation also be infected with the spirit of unreconciliation, and God's wrath come upon them. {1SP 277.2}

When the Israelites committed sin, and God punished them for their transgression, and the people mourned for the fate of the one punished, instead of sorrowing because God had been dishonored, the sympathizers were accounted equally guilty with the transgressor. {1SP 278.1}

The Lord teaches us, in the directions given to Aaron, reconciliation to his just punishments, even if his wrath comes very nigh. He would have his people acknowledge the justness of his corrections, that others may fear. In these last days, many are liable to be self-deceived, and they are unable to see their own wrongs. If God, through his servants, reproves and rebukes the erring, there are those who stand ready to sympathize with those who deserve reproof. They will seek to lighten the burden which God compelled his servants to lay upon them. These sympathizers think

they are performing a virtuous act by sympathizing with the one at fault, whose course may have greatly injured the cause of God. Such are deceived. They are only arraying themselves against God's servants, who have done his will, and against God himself, and are equally guilty with the transgressor. There are many erring souls who might have been saved if they had not been deceived by receiving false sympathy. {1SP 278.2}

GC 614
A single angel destroyed all the first-born of the Egyptians and filled the land with mourning. When David offended against God by numbering the people, one angel caused that terrible destruction by which his sin was punished. The same destructive power exercised by holy angels when God commands, will be exercised by evil angels when He permits. There are forces now ready, and only waiting the divine permission, to spread desolation everywhere. {GC 614.2}

Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Tom] #93885
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Duplicate post.

Page 3 of 47 1 2 3 4 5 46 47

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:07 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!