HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,629
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, Nadi, 2 invisible), 2,967 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 37 1 2 3 4 36 37
Re: To whom or what did Jesus "pay the price" for our redemption? [Re: Tom] #93671
12/20/07 09:52 PM
12/20/07 09:52 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, the quotes (all of them) speak for themselves. Law and justice demand death for sin. Jesus' death satifies the demands of law and justice. It gives God the legal right to pardon repentant sinners.

Re: To whom or what did Jesus "pay the price" for our redemption? [Re: Mountain Man] #93697
12/21/07 03:41 PM
12/21/07 03:41 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM, I see a lot of statements, but not one that says that God needed a legal right to pardon. The whole concept doesn't make sense. How did God lose the legal right He had to pardon?

Let's think this through a bit. God, being God, has, by virtue of being the creator, the legal right to pardon any of His subjects, right? So if you say that God was dependent upon Christ's death in order to obtain the legal right to pardon, this must mean that somehow He lost the legal right He already had. How did He lose this right?

Quote:
The sin is against God, and if he is willing to forgive it, he has the right to do so. No unbeliever would deny the right of a man to overlook a trespass against him. But God does not simply overlook the trespass; he gives his life as a forfeit. Thus he upholds the majesty of the law, and is just in declaring that man righteous who was before a sinner. Sin is remitted sent away from the sinner, because sin and righteousness can not exist together, and God puts his own righteous life into the believer. So God is merciful in his justice, and just in his mercy. (Waggoner on Romans)

Waggoner explains these things so well. It's no wonder Ellen White recommended him so highly.

As Waggoner points out, God has the right to forgive whom He will. Waggoner's quote also addresses the issue of justice.

Finally, we know that God offered Lucifer pardon, without anyone dying, so He evidently had the legal right to pardon all along.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: To whom or what did Jesus "pay the price" for our redemption? [Re: Tom] #93702
12/21/07 05:37 PM
12/21/07 05:37 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Your private interpretation of Sister White's comments regarding Lucifer have no weight with me. It doesn't prove a thing. And yet you keep citing it as if it were a foregone conclusion. But it isn't. She says nothing of the sort.

God's rule is not arbitrary. It is based on law and justice. He is just as obligated as the rest of us to act accordingly. He lost the right to continue blessing us with eternal life the moment we sinned. He lost it to law and justice. He earned it back through the life and death of Jesus.

Re: To whom or what did Jesus "pay the price" for our redemption? [Re: Mountain Man] #93710
12/21/07 06:13 PM
12/21/07 06:13 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Your private interpretation of Sister White's comments regarding Lucifer have no weight with me.

It would be nice if her statement carried weight with you.

Quote:
It doesn't prove a thing. And yet you keep citing it as if it were a foregone conclusion. But it isn't. She says nothing of the sort.

Here's what she said:

Quote:
God in His great mercy bore long with Lucifer. He was not immediately degraded from his exalted station when he first indulged the spirit of discontent, nor even when he began to present his false claims before the loyal angels. Long was he retained in heaven. Again and again he was offered pardon on condition of repentance and submission.(GC 495)

That's clear enough.

Quote:
God's rule is not arbitrary. It is based on law and justice. He is just as obligated as the rest of us to act accordingly.

This isn't true. God is not obligated by anything or anyone. The law is a transcript of God's character. It describes what God is like. It is not greater than God, something to which He is demanded to serve.

Quote:
He lost the right to continue blessing us with eternal life the moment we sinned. He lost it to law and justice. He earned it back through the life and death of Jesus.

If God lost a right to something else, than that thing He lost the right to is greater than God.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: To whom or what did Jesus "pay the price" for our redemption? [Re: Tom] #93830
12/26/07 06:46 PM
12/26/07 06:46 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
The quote you posted does not support your conclusion.

And, since God does nothing contrary to His will and way, He owes it to law and justice to pay our sin debt of death. According to His will and way, sinners must be punished and destroyed. That's the law; that's justice; that's the way it is.

The only way around law and justice, that is, the only way God can save sinners from death is through allowing Jesus to suffer and die in their place. Either the sinner or the divine substitute must suffer punishment and death proportionate to sin.

Re: To whom or what did Jesus "pay the price" for our redemption? [Re: Mountain Man] #93833
12/26/07 07:13 PM
12/26/07 07:13 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
The quote you posted does not support your conclusion.

You'd have to specify what you're talking about here, since you didn't quote anything by me. The conclusion I was trying to prove the quote is that God offered Lucifer pardon many times, and Christ had not died. That follows from the quote, doesn't it?

Quote:
And, since God does nothing contrary to His will and way, He owes it to law and justice to pay our sin debt of death.

I don't have a problem with God's paying our debt. I wouldn't say that He does to because He owes it to law and justice though. How can God be a debtor?

Quote:
According to His will and way, sinners must be punished and destroyed. That's the law; that's justice; that's the way it is.

This is I think where the fundamental different lies between our views. You see that God arbitrarily punishes and destroys sinners, as evidenced by your statement "that's the way it is." There's no reason why God should do so. It's the law; it's justice; but why? There's no reason. Simply "that's the way it is."

OTOH I believe that sin results in death. Sinners die because they sin. As God warned Adam and Eve, if they sinned, they would die. The warning is not "if you sin, I will kill you" or "if you sin, I will punish and destroy you" but "if you sin, you will die."

There's a vast difference in how these two views formulate our mental image of God. Under one view, God is One to be feared. It's God's way or the high way, or, more accurately, God's way or be burned alive for as long as God sees fit, and then killed. Under another view, God is working to rescue us from the death which sin inflicts.

Quote:
The only way around law and justice, that is, the only way God can save sinners from death is through allowing Jesus to suffer and die in their place.

I agree with this statement, although I wouldn't say "the only way around law and justice" but rather "the only way to be just and fulfill what the law requires ...". To say "the only around the law and justice" implies the law and justice are being avoided.

Quote:
Either the sinner or the divine substitute must suffer punishment and death proportionate to sin.

This is true, but not arbitrarily so, but for a specific reason. That is:

Quote:
(M)an was deceived; his mind was darkened by Satan's sophistry. The height and depth of the love of God he did not know. For him there was hope in a knowledge of God's love. By beholding His character he might be drawn back to God. (GC 762)

MM, you haven't dealt in any of your posts with what I see to be the real difficulties of the position you are taking. I'll list some problems:

a)Your position makes God a debtor. You say things like God owed things to law and justice, and that God had to obtain a legal right. How could God lose any rights? How can God be a debtor?

b)Your position makes God dependent upon violence in order to solve the problem of sin. God has to kill His Son (I think you agree with this idea; if not, please correct me) or, at the very least, God is dependent upon His Son being killed in order for Him to be able to legally pardon.

There's a big philosophical problem here. Jesus Christ revealed a God who is completely non-violent, or, more accurately, anti-violent. Rather than commit violence, Jesus Christ went to the most violent of deaths. When urged to use violence, Jesus Christ responded "you know not of what spirit you are."

Force, of which violence is the most brutal type, is not a principle of God's government. Violence is utterly contrary to God's character. It's a principle of the ways of the enemy. It (actually force, but most commonly in the form of violence) is that last resort of every false religion. How can God be dependent upon a principle which is not to be found in His kingdom in order to establish His kingdom?

c)You cannot produce anything from Jesus' life or teachings which corroborate your ideas, most specifically the idea that God was dependent upon the death of Jesus in order to obtain the legal right to pardon us. Where did Jesus teach this?

d)The theory of the atonement you suggest did not exist until many centuries after the NT was written. Evidence of this the Eastern Orthodox church does not have this view of the atonement. Why not? Because they split from the Roman Catholic church before Anselm came around.

I'd be very interested in seeing you deal with these points.

Re: To whom or what did Jesus "pay the price" for our redemption? [Re: Tom] #93840
12/26/07 08:08 PM
12/26/07 08:08 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Pardon for willful sin was not available to Lucifer. The moment he became guilty of willfully sinning he was beyond hope. God offered to pardon and reinstate Lucifer before he was guilty of sinning. Such pardon did not infer sinning.

Punishing and destroying sinners is not a form of violence. It is law and justice. The Flood was not violence. The fires of Sodom was not violence. When Jesus gives Satan permission to detroy sinners it is not violence.

God owes it to law and justice to pay our sin debt of death. He cannot simply pardon and save sinners. He is indebted to law and justice to punish and destroy sinners. It is His character. It is how He established things. If death were the natural consequences of sinning there would be no need of a second resurrection or a lake of fire.

Jesus established the principles of atonement. He did not change it while He was here in the flesh. Yes, His death on the cross impresses us with His love, it motivates us to serve Him without sinning. However, there is more to it. Law and justice requires that sinners be not merely pardoned. Death must come in consequence of man's sin.

Re: To whom or what did Jesus "pay the price" for our redemption? [Re: Mountain Man] #93851
12/26/07 09:01 PM
12/26/07 09:01 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Pardon for willful sin was not available to Lucifer.

Evidently, until Lucifer made his final decision not to repent, pardon *was* available to Lucifer, since God offered him pardon "again and again."

Quote:
The moment he became guilty of willfully sinning he was beyond hope. God offered to pardon and reinstate Lucifer before he was guilty of sinning.

This makes no sense. One only needs pardon for sin. Your idea would have God offering to pardon Lucifer as long as he didn't need it, but as soon as he did, He doesn't offer it. That wouldn't be very nice, would it?

Quote:
Such pardon did not infer sinning.

You mean "imply" sinning. Of course it does. Lucifer was offered pardon on the condition of repentance and submission. Why would he need to repent if he had done nothing wrong?

Besides, in addition to offering Lucifer pardon, we have the record of what Lucifer did, which included "aspiring to be equal with God" (breaking the first commandment) and seeking to misrepresent God by "lying representations" (breaking the ninth), to name just two things. Also, EGW describes Lucifer's actions as "transgression" "evil" "iniquity" and "sin," and I'm speaking specifically of the time before Lucifer made his final decision not to repent.

Quote:
Punishing and destroying sinners is not a form of violence. It is law and justice. The Flood was not violence. The fires of Sodom was not violence. When Jesus gives Satan permission to destroy sinners it is not violence.

God owes it to law and justice to pay our sin debt of death. He cannot simply pardon and save sinners. He is indebted to law and justice to punish and destroy sinners. It is His character. It is how He established things. If death were the natural consequences of sinning there would be no need of a second resurrection or a lake of fire.

Regarding what violence is, it is defined as

Quote:
intense, turbulent, or furious and often destructive action or force.

This is from Webster's, from which I chose the most general definition. Clearly the acts you are attributing to God were violent acts.

Was the cross violent?

Quote:
Jesus established the principles of atonement. He did not change it while He was here in the flesh.

This is exactly my point. No contemporary offerer of sacrifice had in mind the principles you are espousing. Christ would have had to have changed them in order for what you are asserting to be true.

Quote:
Yes, His death on the cross impresses us with His love, it motivates us to serve Him without sinning. However, there is more to it. Law and justice requires that sinners be not merely pardoned. Death must come in consequence of man's sin.

Death did come as a consequence of man's sin. Jesus died by way of man's sin. That did happen. However, this death conferred to God no new rights. Where did Jesus suggest such a thing? (Or anyone else?)

Re: To whom or what did Jesus "pay the price" for our redemption? [Re: Tom] #93856
12/26/07 09:20 PM
12/26/07 09:20 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
God did not offer to pardon Lucifer whle he was guilty of willfully sinning. Nothing you can quote will support your assumption.

Justice is not violence. The Flood, Sodom, etc, were justice, not violence. The way God treated Jesus on the cross was not violence. It was justice.

"Death did come as a consequence of man's sin. Jesus died by way of man's sin. That did happen." Why? You seem to believe it was necessary only to impress us with His love, to motivate us to obey Him. Whereas, I believe it also was required by law and justice to satisfy the death penalty established by God.

Re: To whom or what did Jesus "pay the price" for our redemption? [Re: Mountain Man] #93867
12/26/07 10:22 PM
12/26/07 10:22 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
God did not offer to pardon Lucifer while he was guilty of willfully sinning. Nothing you can quote will support your assumption.

Only, as far as I can tell, because you refuse to believe this, regardless of what is quoted. I mean, if you just look at the following:

Quote:
Leaving his place in the immediate presence of God, Lucifer went forth to diffuse the spirit of discontent among the angels. Working with mysterious secrecy, and for a time concealing his real purpose under an appearance of reverence for God, he endeavored to excite dissatisfaction concerning the laws that governed heavenly beings, intimating that they imposed an unnecessary restraint. Since their natures were holy, he urged that the angels should obey the dictates of their own will. He sought to create sympathy for himself by representing that God had dealt unjustly with him in bestowing supreme honor upon Christ. He claimed that in aspiring to greater power and honor he was not aiming at self-exaltation, but was seeking to secure liberty for all the inhabitants of heaven, that by this means they might attain to a higher state of existence. (GC 495)

It's beyond me how anyone could read this and not see that Lucifer was willfully sinning here. Let's just consider the underlined parts. First of all we see that Lucifer was hiding his true purpose. Why? Because he didn't want his would be followers to know what he was really up to. Look at the last underlined part. He claimed he was not aiming at self-exaltation, but he was.

Here we see Lucifer was aiming to exalt himself, devised a plan to accomplish this, carried out the plan, and lied about what he was doing! I feel confident you could show this paragraph to any non-SDA Christian (or any SDA who didn't have an ax to grind) and they would see that Lucifer is willfully sinning here. Really, it makes me wonder what EGW could have described Lucifer as doing that you would perceive to be willfully sinning.

It doesn't appear to me that the record of Lucifer's behavior is what has you convinced that he wasn't willfully sinning, but your own preconceived idea. One should be careful to allow the evidence to shape one's opinion, rather than forcing the evidence to face one's opinion.

Quote:
Justice is not violence.

That's true!

Quote:
The Flood, Sodom, etc, were justice, not violence. The way God treated Jesus on the cross was not violence. It was justice.

I agree with these statements, because God did nothing violent. That is, God did none of the violent things you think He did. Everything He did was as non-violent as the things Jesus did in the flesh.

I'm particularly curious as to what you had in mind by "the way that God treated Christ". How do you perceive that God treated Christ? I perceive that God permitted certain things to happen to His Son. Do you see God as actively doing something that would ordinarily be classified as "violent" (if it weren't God doing it) towards His Son?

Quote:
"Death did come as a consequence of man's sin. Jesus died by way of man's sin. That did happen." Why?

According to Acts 2:23 (other places as well) it happened because wicked men crucified Him.

Quote:
You seem to believe it was necessary only to impress us with His love, to motivate us to obey Him. Whereas, I believe it also was required by law and justice to satisfy the death penalty established by God.

The particular issue I've been discussing is that you think it was necessary in order for God to obtain the legal right to pardon. Where is this asserted in inspiration? In particular, where did Jesus teach an idea like this?

Your first sentence is not at all what I believe, by the way. There are many things which Jesus' death accomplished, one of which was the revelation of God's love and character. I'm not asserting this is the only thing that happened, but that what you are asserting, that it was necessary in order for God to obtain the legal right to pardon, was not a reason Christ's death was necessary.

Page 2 of 37 1 2 3 4 36 37

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!