HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,629
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, Nadi, 2 invisible), 2,967 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Is Penal Substitution Biblical? [Re: Mountain Man] #93557
12/17/07 07:58 PM
12/17/07 07:58 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
MM: Would you prefer my biblical commentary over Sister White's? Quoting her is similar to her participating on this thread.

If you had a thread called, "Is Penal Substitution in accordance with the Spirit of Prophecy" then would you quote Scripture, with no, or virtually no, Spirit of Prophecy references?

Quote:
Your main argument against penal substitution is based on your private interpretation of Sister White's comments concerning Lucifer's rebellion in heaven. Who are you to complain about me quoting the SOP?

This is the main argument I've used in discussions with you, for two reasons. One is that you rely so heavily on the Spirit of Prophecy. Two is that the argument is very powerful and easy to follow.

However, I don't only discuss this topic with you. In other discussions, I don't rely on this argument at all, but use arguments similar to the ones I've been presenting here. I'd be very pleased if you would address the arguments I've been presenting.

Quote:
You think she implied God was willing to pardon Lucifer's willful sinning without shedding the blood of Jesus, therefore, death is not required to give God the legal right to pardon sinners. This conclusion is unbiblical [i.e., uninspired]

The conclusion is Biblical (i.e. inspired) because it is in harmony with the life and teachings of Jesus Christ, which I've been able to give plenty of examples showing, and could give more. You haven't been able to substantiate your view with anything from the life and teaching of Jesus Christ, however, or from anywhere in Scripture, for that matter. That is, specifically, where is the idea that God needed death in order to obtain the legal right to pardon found in Scripture? So far, all you've produced are texts saying that death was necessary, which I fully agree with. But why was it necessary? The answers I see in Scripture all point to its being for our benefit, not for some need that God had.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Is Penal Substitution Biblical? [Re: Mountain Man] #93558
12/17/07 08:13 PM
12/17/07 08:13 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Are we the ones being propitiated? Are we the ones being sacrificed to?

Yes, to the first question; this seems to be what Waggoner is implying. To the second, we are the ones for whom the sacrifice was provided.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Is Penal Substitution Biblical? [Re: Tom] #93565
12/17/07 08:48 PM
12/17/07 08:48 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Arnold, I'm sorry, but I completely missed your post somehow, which mentioned some Scriptures. I'll respond to it as soon as I can.

Re: Is Penal Substitution Biblical? [Re: Tom] #93570
12/17/07 09:23 PM
12/17/07 09:23 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
 Quote:
Are we the ones being propitiated? Are we the ones being sacrificed to?

Yes, to the first question; this seems to be what Waggoner is implying. To the second, we are the ones for whom the sacrifice was provided.

The sacrifice was FOR us, no question. But who was the sacrifice TO?

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Is Penal Substitution Biblical? [Re: asygo] #93574
12/17/07 09:30 PM
12/17/07 09:30 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
It wasn't "to". It was "for."

God so loved the world, He *gave* His only Son. This is the sacrifice.

Christ "gave Himself" for our sins. He "gave Himself" for us.

From EGW:

Quote:
While God has desired to teach men that from His own love comes the Gift which reconciles them to Himself, the archenemy of mankind has endeavored to represent God as one who delights in their destruction. Thus the sacrifices and the ordinances designed of Heaven to reveal divine love have been perverted to serve as means whereby sinners have vainly hoped to propitiate, with gifts and good works, the wrath of an offended God. (PK 685)

From His own love comes the Gift which reconciles us to Himself. This is the sacrifice.

Re: Is Penal Substitution Biblical? [Re: Tom] #93576
12/17/07 09:34 PM
12/17/07 09:34 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Nice quote, but it can still be interpreted in a way that supports penal substitution. I'll look at it some more.

Was the sacrifice TO anyone?

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Is Penal Substitution Biblical? [Re: asygo] #93580
12/17/07 11:04 PM
12/17/07 11:04 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Arnold, I responded,

Quote:
"It wasn't "to". It was "for."

If you get a chance to consider the Fifield quotes, please do so. He has had a large impact on thinking. I find his explanations to be eloquent, beautiful and convincing.

Re: Is Penal Substitution Biblical? [Re: asygo] #93583
12/17/07 11:47 PM
12/17/07 11:47 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
How about 1 Corinthians 15:3 and 1 Peter 2:24? Then there's the "propitiation" of 1Jo 2:2, 1Jo 4:10, and Rom 3:25 (plus Hbr 9:5 which translates it as "mercyseat").

Let's start with 1 Pet. 2:24, 25:

Quote:
24Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

25For ye were as sheep going astray; but are now returned unto the Shepherd and Bishop of your souls.

I'll also quote 1 Pet. 3:18a, which is along the same idea:

Quote:
18For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God...

These verses give as the reason for Christ's death that we might be brought to God, returned to Him. So there's no forensic idea here that I see. In fact, 1 Pet. 3:18 is probably my favorite verse for discussing this, as the phrase "bring us to God" is very clear and to the point as a reason for Christ's death.

Regarding Rom. 3:25, this is from the Greek "hilasterion" which means "mercy seat." There's no reason to suppose that the mercy seat has anything to do with God's obtaining the legal right to pardon.

That Christ is an atoning sacrifice for our sins, I fully agree with. To atone is to bring "at one," to reconcile. We could not have been reconciled without His death. As EGW puts it, without Christ's death, sin would have been perpetuated.

Regarding Hebrews 9:5, I already commented on the fact that there's no reason to suppose that the mercy seat has anything to do with God's needing a legal right to pardon us. I'm not aware that there's any Jewish precedent for interpreting "mercy seat" in this way. In fact, I'm not aware of "mercy seat" being interpreted in a penal substitution way as existing before just a couple of centuries ago. I think it's a very recent idea.

Quote:
I went a couple of rounds with a Maxwellian recently, and the forensic aspects of our theology have been on my mind lately. It's clear that the forensic view is not the only correct one, but is it incorrect to view some aspects of salvation that way?

You'd have to clarify what you mean here. "Forensic" just means "legal," and Christ's sacrifice was certainly that.

The particular idea I have been taking issue with is the idea that God was dependent upon the death of Christ in order to have the legal right to pardon us. I see absolutely nothing in Scripture that even remotely suggests this.

By way of arguing against this idea, I note the following points:

a)This idea did not exist at the time the Scriptures were written. As evidence for this, I note two things:
i)There is no contemporary historical literature which suggests that animal sacrifice had this meaning (i.e., animal sacrifice pointed to a legal right to pardon being obtained).
ii)The Eastern Orthodox church does not have this idea of the atonement, and never has. Why not? Because they split off from Rome before Anselm came around. If this idea had some sort of patristic heritage, the Eastern Orthodox church would have carried it with them.

Here's an interesting article which discusses this: (http://fatherstephen.wordpress.com/2007/09/21/whats-at-stake-in-the-atonement/)

b)I see Jesus' whole life and teachings as giving meaning to His death. However, I see nothing in His life or teachings which suggest, even remotely, that Christ was dying to that God could legally forgive us. Not only does this idea not exist in Christ's life and teachings, but He acted in taught in a way that is diametrically opposed to this idea. For example:
i)His forgiveness of the paralytic.
ii)His forgiveness of the woman caught in adultery
iii)The story of the prodigal Son.
iv)His prayer on the cross "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do."

I'll stop there, but there are many more episodes in Jesus' life which teach that God freely forgives.

Quote:
If Jesus was incarnated, and everyone repented and followed Him, and He went back to Heaven before Gethsemane, would that have been sufficient to save man?

Since our repentance is dependent upon Christ's death, it's difficult to answer this question. If there was any way to "bring us to God," other than Christ's death, I'm sure that the Plan of Salvation would have consisted of that instead of Christ's death. As you have asked the question, my hesitant answer would be "yes." (hesitant because of not knowing what all you have in mind in your presuppositions here).

If everyone had repented and followed Christ, then that would have been enough, as all that is needed in order for us to be right with God is to repent, since God is already right with us. God so loved us that He gave His Son. No change needs to be effected in Him. The father of the prodigal son didn't even need to hear what the son had to say.

Re: Is Penal Substitution Biblical? [Re: Tom] #93590
12/18/07 12:44 AM
12/18/07 12:44 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Interesting that you mention the prodigal son. I will be preaching this Sabbath and he's a big chunk of what I'm talking about.

Anyway, your hesitant answer to my hypothetical question clears up some things for me.

I'm curious, though, why you say that our repentance is dependent on Christ's death. Enoch and Elijah and all the OT greats repented without it (at least, not physically).

By God's grace,
Arnold

Re: Is Penal Substitution Biblical? [Re: asygo] #93593
12/18/07 01:00 AM
12/18/07 01:00 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I don't think they repented without it. That is, I think the Holy Spirit revealed the Savior to them, and His death, pretty similarly to how He does for us, actually. I know when I saw Christ crucified for me, I didn't know Scripture at all, so the fact that the event was recorded in Scripture didn't matter to me. I'm sure God could have revealed something similar to them.

Also, they knew of the Plan of Salvation passed down from Adam and Eve. They had the sacrificial system which pointed to Christ.

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!