HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,631
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, Kevin H, Daryl, TheophilusOne), 3,258 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 11 of 47 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 46 47
Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Mountain Man] #94521
01/11/08 07:22 PM
01/11/08 07:22 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
You still haven't explained what Jesus meant when He said, "He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her."

Jesus said, "... let him first cast a stone at her." Did He mean it? Or, did He mean something else? Was He setting aside the law of Moses?

Also, you are running and hiding from the second question. Why? What are you afraid of?

2. What did Jesus mean when He said, "The man shall be surely put to death: all the congregation shall stone him with stones without the camp."

Tom, if sin kills sinners, why, then, did Jesus command people in the OT and the NT to stone sinners to death? Also, why did He have to ban sinners from eating of the tree of life?

Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Mountain Man] #94535
01/11/08 09:12 PM
01/11/08 09:12 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Tom, if sin kills sinners, why, then, did Jesus command people in the OT and the NT to stone sinners to death? Also, why did He have to ban sinners from eating of the tree of life?

1.I assume by "if sin kills sinners" you mean "if sin results in death." Is that correct?

2.Jesus did not command people in the NT to stone sinners. That you could come up with such an idea is odd.

3.What are sinners? Do you mean people with fallen natures? Or people who sin?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Tom] #94551
01/12/08 02:58 AM
01/12/08 02:58 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
1. What is the difference?

2. Jesus said, "... let him first cast a stone at her." Did He mean it? Or, did He mean something else? Was He setting aside the law of Moses?

3. Sinners are people who have fallen natures and who sin.

4. Also, why did He have to ban sinners from eating of the tree of life?

5. What did Jesus mean when He said, "The man shall be surely put to death: all the congregation shall stone him with stones without the camp."

Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Mountain Man] #94566
01/13/08 06:45 AM
01/13/08 06:45 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
1. What is the difference?

It depends on what you meant. If you say, "what's the difference?" I take that to mean that you mean that sin results in death.

Quote:

2. Jesus said, "... let him first cast a stone at her." Did He mean it? Or, did He mean something else? Was He setting aside the law of Moses?

You've read the account, right? Those who hated Jesus were trying to trick Him, putting Him into a situation where He had no outs, or so they thought. They tried this on many occasions. But Jesus knew what they were up.

It was Jesus' intent to pardon the woman, obviously. He obviously was not intending that she be killed, right?

Quote:
3. Sinners are people who have fallen natures and who sin.

You mean "sinners" has these two meanings, or "sinners" refers only to people who have both of these characteristics?

Quote:

For a similar reason that God allowed meat to be eaten after the flood.

Quote:
5. What did Jesus mean when He said, "The man shall be surely put to death: all the congregation shall stone him with stones without the camp."

Well, Jesus didn't say that in the first place. "Jesus" refers to the human being, who did not exist at that time.

In the second place, I'm not interested in discussing this at this time.

In the third place, the point that I've been making is that you're approach here is backwards, and I think continuing to ask these Old Testament questions just makes the same point I'm making over and over again.

Jesus Christ (correct usage here!) was a *full* revelation of God. *All* that man needs to know or can know about God was revealed in His life and character. Therefore it is not necessary to ask questions regarding things outside of His life and teachings in order to learn new or additional things about God. Indeed, if what Ellen White wrote is accurate and correct, it should be easy to see that this is not necessary.

One might ask, then why do we need the Old Testament at all? The reason for the Old Testament is to point us to Christ, in whom we find life, as Jesus said, "Ye search the Scriptures, that ye might have life, but they are they which testify of Me."

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Tom] #94582
01/13/08 07:23 PM
01/13/08 07:23 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
1. No. Sin is not what causes sinners to die. It is because they have sinned that God punishes and destroys sinners.

2. "He obviously was not intending that she be killed, right?" Why, then, did He say, "... let him first cast a stone at her"? Was He setting aside the law of Moses?

3. Sinners are people. They sin. They have fallen natures.

4. "For a similar reason that God allowed meat to be eaten after the flood." I assume you mean so that they would die and not live forever. But, according to you, sin is what causes sinners to die, not what they eat or don't eat.

5. "Well, Jesus didn't say that in the first place. 'Jesus' refers to the human being, who did not exist at that time." Not according to Paul. Christ was the one who led the Jews in the OT.

"In the second place, I'm not interested in discussing this at this time." Fair enough. But it is preventing us from studying the truth about Jesus and the Father.

"All that man needs to know or can know about God was revealed in His life and character." This is not true.

"Indeed, if what Ellen White wrote is accurate and correct, it should be easy to see that this is not necessary." You are not taking into account everything she wrote about Jesus and the Father. You are forcing her words to mean something more than she intended. She never meant for us to ignore Jesus in the OT, or to assume whatever we learn about Jesus in the OT must be forced to agree with His NT example.

In the NT, Jesus never commanded people to kill sinners. In the NT, Jesus didn't create the world, or thunder on Sinai, or give the ten commandments, or rain down fire in answer to prayer, or threaten to curse on condition of disobedience, etc, etc, etc. How do you explain these differences?

Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Mountain Man] #94587
01/13/08 08:03 PM
01/13/08 08:03 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
1. No. Sin is not what causes sinners to die. It is because they have sinned that God punishes and destroys sinners.

Death is the punishment for sin. It is "not an arbitrary act of power on the part of God." As the quote points out:

Quote:
God is the fountain of life; and when one chooses the service of sin, he separates from God, and thus cuts himself off from life.(DA 764)

Quote:
2. "He obviously was not intending that she be killed, right?" Why, then, did He say, "... let him first cast a stone at her"? Was He setting aside the law of Moses?

This sounds like what the Pharisees were arguing! Jesus' plan all along was to pardon the woman. You agree with that, don't you? Let's start here.

Quote:
3. Sinners are people. They sin. They have fallen natures.

MM, your original statement was vague. I was asking for clarification. I gave the two possible things you could have meant. All you had to do was pick one, but instead you didn't clarify the ambiguity, and I don't even remember what your original point was anymore.

Quote:
4. "For a similar reason that God allowed meat to be eaten after the flood." I assume you mean so that they would die and not live forever. But, according to you, sin is what causes sinners to die, not what they eat or don't eat.

It's not according to me! All of Scripture teaches that sin results in death. To live in harmony with the principles of God's law is life. To do the opposite is death.

There is no life in living selfishly.

Quote:
In the light from Calvary it will be seen that the law of self-renouncing love is the law of life for earth and heaven...(DA 20)

The law of self-renouncing love is the law of life. The law of selfishness is the law of death.

Quote:
5. "Well, Jesus didn't say that in the first place. 'Jesus' refers to the human being, who did not exist at that time." Not according to Paul. Christ was the one who led the Jews in the OT.

Where did Paul say that "Jesus" led the Jews in the OT? (Please note, I didn't say he said "Christ" wasn't the one who led the Jews, but "Jesus." Your error was speaking of "Jesus" as doing things in the OT. Paul didn't make this error, did he? If so, where?)

Quote:
"In the second place, I'm not interested in discussing this at this time." Fair enough. But it is preventing us from studying the truth about Jesus and the Father.

No it's not. According to the Spirit of Prophecy, all that man needs to know, or can know, of God was revealed in the life and teachings of Jesus. So we can study everything we need from looking there.

Quote:
"All that man needs to know or can know about God was revealed in His life and character." This is not true.

Well, you're free to disagree with Ellen White's statement, but I think it's true. I guess there's not much more to say about that.

Quote:
"Indeed, if what Ellen White wrote is accurate and correct, it should be easy to see that this is not necessary." You are not taking into account everything she wrote about Jesus and the Father. You are forcing her words to mean something more than she intended. She never meant for us to ignore Jesus in the OT, or to assume whatever we learn about Jesus in the OT must be forced to agree with His NT example.

I think she meant what she said, which is very clear.

Quote:
Only that which He sees fit to reveal can we comprehend of Him. Reason must acknowledge an authority superior to itself. Heart and intellect must bow to the great I AM.

All that man needs to know or can know of God has been revealed in the life and character of His Son. "No man hath seen God at any time; the only-begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, He hath declared Him." John 1:18.

Taking humanity upon Him, Christ came to be one with humanity and at the same time to reveal our heavenly Father to sinful human beings. (8T 286)

She writes, "Only that which He sees fit to reveal can we comprehend of Him." and then "All that man needs to know or can know of God has been revealed in the life and character of His Son." So it's easy to see she is saying that God has seen fit to reveal all that we need to know, or can know, of Him through His Son.

She quotes John speaking to the same subject. Paul also makes this point. Christ removes the veil.

Quote:
In the NT, Jesus never commanded people to kill sinners. In the NT, Jesus didn't create the world, or thunder on Sinai, or give the ten commandments, or rain down fire in answer to prayer, or threaten to curse on condition of disobedience, etc, etc, etc. How do you explain these differences?

I would look for the underlying principles of the events described, and find things in the life and character of Jesus Christ where these same principles apply. Please note that Ellen White's quote says that in the life and teachings of Jesus Christ is everything that man needs to know or can know of God. This does not imply that Christ did everything in His life that God has done, which He couldn't have, being a man who lived for 33 years or so. However, Christ revealed in His ministry everything that we need to know of God, or can know of God.

So really, you're not asking the right question. The right question is, "What did Jesus Christ during His ministry reveal about God through His life and character?"

Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Tom] #94602
01/13/08 10:37 PM
01/13/08 10:37 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
 Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall

Quote:

Ensuring the survival of humanity as a species?
 Quote:

One might ask, then why do we need the Old Testament at all? The reason for the Old Testament is to point us to Christ, in whom we find life, as Jesus said, "Ye search the Scriptures, that ye might have life, but they are they which testify of Me."

It sounds like you would acctually support the statement that the purpose of the Law is to show us how desperately we are in need of a saviour.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: vastergotland] #94614
01/14/08 04:04 AM
01/14/08 04:04 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:

No, I was thinking of the statement by EGW that God permitted man to eat meat, knowing that this would diminish man's life span, which would result in less for a man during his lifetime. It was rather a cryptic reference. I knew MM was familiar with it, so wasn't very clear.

Quote:
It sounds like you would acctually support the statement that the purpose of the Law is to show us how desperately we are in need of a saviour.

Sure, why not? Actually, I wouldn't say "the purpose," but definitely a purpose, and a very important one at that.

Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Tom] #94618
01/14/08 06:33 AM
01/14/08 06:33 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
 Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
 Quote:

No, I was thinking of the statement by EGW that God permitted man to eat meat, knowing that this would diminish man's life span, which would result in less for a man during his lifetime. It was rather a cryptic reference. I knew MM was familiar with it, so wasn't very clear.
If God wanted to limmit mans lifespan by meateating, who are we to work against God's purposes by refusing to eat that which God ordained for making sure our lives are suitably short? ;\) Is that not a case of us kicking against the pricks? ;\) ;\)
 Quote:

Quote:

Sure, why not? Actually, I wouldn't say "the purpose," but definitely a purpose, and a very important one at that.
Oh, just because this option usually is viewed as heresy by many SDA.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: vastergotland] #94626
01/14/08 03:12 PM
01/14/08 03:12 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Oh, just because this option usually is viewed as heresy by many SDA.

I'm not following this. Could you clarify what you're saying here please? What is it that those SDA who view this as heresy believe?

Page 11 of 47 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 46 47

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/12/24 10:01 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!