HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,629
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, Nadi, 2 invisible), 2,967 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 37 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 36 37
Re: To whom or what did Jesus "pay the price" for our redemption? [Re: Mountain Man] #94295
01/05/08 08:39 PM
01/05/08 08:39 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
TE: There are many things Jesus accomplished by His life (really, His death should not be separated from His life, or resurrection, for that matter).

MM: His godly life was not sufficient to satisfy the just and loving demands of law and justice. In addition to His righteousness, law and justice demanded He die in consequence of man’s sin.

The phrase "demand of the law" is a metaphor. The law cannot literally demand anything. It has no brain or will.

Quote:
TE: "Justice," as used in Scripture, has to do with restoration, not retribution.

MM: Law and justice demand death for sin. It is not the office of law and justice to pardon. Mercy, pardon, and salvation are possible because Jesus’ atoning, substitutionary death satisfies the just and loving demands of law and justice. It is the cleansing blood of Jesus that makes pardon possible.

Justice, as used in Scripture, has to do with restoration, not retribution. It is fulfilled by acts of mercy and compassion, as I showed. Your response here is not addressing the point made. You have no quotes from Scripture.

Once again, law and justice cannot literally condemn or pardon. They have no brain nor will. These are metaphors. God condemns, and God pardons.

The cleansing blood of Jesus makes pardon possible because of what it does for us. We are the ones that need to change.

Quote:
TE: Sin results in death. It does this by destroying our relationship, our connection, to God; it separates us from God. Through Christ, we may be brought back to God. This solves the problem of death.

MM: If sin causes sinners to die, like poison kills people, why is it necessary for God to resurrect unsaved sinners after the Millennium? Why not just leave them dead?

I started a post on this subject a couple of years ago. The short answer is that the judgment reveals the truth, and the truth, both for and regarding those who have rejected God has not been revealed.

Quote:
If sin naturally kills sinners, like poison kills people, why are sinners alive and well?

Read Faith and Works, the first essay. They are alive because of God's grace.

Quote:
If you answer, sinners are alive and well because God is preventing them from dying, then I would ask, Why doesn’t God kill sinners by just “pulling the plug” rather than giving Satan permission to punish and kill them?

This is another FOTAP question. The best way of addressing your question that I can think of is to cite EGW's statement from GC, first chapter:

Quote:
We cannot know how much we owe to Christ for the peace and protection which we enjoy. It is the restraining power of God that prevents mankind from passing fully under the control of Satan. The disobedient and unthankful have great reason for gratitude for God's mercy and long-suffering in holding in check the cruel, malignant power of the evil one. But when men pass the limits of divine forbearance, that restraint is removed. God does not stand toward the sinner as an executioner of the sentence against transgression; but He leaves the rejectors of His mercy to themselves, to reap that which they have sown. Every ray of light rejected, every warning despised or unheeded, every passion indulged, every transgression of the law of God, is a seed sown which yields its unfailing harvest. The Spirit of God, persistently resisted, is at last withdrawn from the sinner, and then there is left no power to control the evil passions of the soul, and no protection from the malice and enmity of Satan. (GC 36)

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: To whom or what did Jesus "pay the price" for our redemption? [Re: Tom] #94300
01/06/08 02:50 AM
01/06/08 02:50 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
A thought comes to mind, MM. You claim that God, like man, is bound by His law. You also believe that God kills. But if God is bound by His law, then He can't kill. The law won't allow Him to. It would demand that justice be served against God.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: To whom or what did Jesus "pay the price" for our redemption? [Re: Tom] #94329
01/07/08 12:18 AM
01/07/08 12:18 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
The commandment means - Do not murder.

Re: To whom or what did Jesus "pay the price" for our redemption? [Re: Mountain Man] #94332
01/07/08 01:41 AM
01/07/08 01:41 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Is it possible for God to murder? Or would any killing of God automatically be reclassified as something else? If that's the case, what good is it to say that God is bound by the law, since any killing of God's would not be a violation of the law "Thou shalt not kill."

Re: To whom or what did Jesus "pay the price" for our redemption? [Re: Tom] #94346
01/07/08 04:33 PM
01/07/08 04:33 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
It is clear to me that God cannot sin. God is love, and love fulfills the law. If we think God has sinned because He kills people - we are wrong.

Titus
1:2 In hope of eternal life, which God, that cannot lie, promised before the world began;

Romans
3:4 God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written, That thou mightest be justified in thy sayings, and mightest overcome when thou art judged.

Re: To whom or what did Jesus "pay the price" for our redemption? [Re: Mountain Man] #94352
01/07/08 05:19 PM
01/07/08 05:19 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
How does this reply answer my question?

Re: To whom or what did Jesus "pay the price" for our redemption? [Re: Tom] #94509
01/11/08 04:36 PM
01/11/08 04:36 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
It is incorrect to assume God is violent because He kills sinners. There is nothing "violent" about it. The law confirms it. Killing sinners, when God commands or permits it, is in harmony with the law. Indeed, law and justice demand it. The law, unlike God, cannot pardon sinners. In this way the law is not a transcript of God's character.

Re: To whom or what did Jesus "pay the price" for our redemption? [Re: Mountain Man] #94510
01/11/08 04:59 PM
01/11/08 04:59 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
This doesn't answer my question either. Here's my question:

Quote:
Is it possible for God to murder? Or would any killing of God automatically be reclassified as something else? If that's the case, what good is it to say that God is bound by the law, since any killing of God's would not be a violation of the law "Thou shalt not kill."

If any killing that God would do is OK, then there's no point in saying that God abides by the law "Thou shalt not kill" as it has no impact on Him. If the law has some impact on Him, there needs to be some case where God is prohibited from doing something, so I'm asking for an example of that.

The reason I'm raising this point for discussion is that you brought out that God is bound by His law, and for that reason cannot pardon someone by Himself without death occurring because of His being bound by the law. But in the case of killing, it does not appear that you believe that God is bound by the law. At least I'm not seeing how. That's what I'm trying to get at.

Re: To whom or what did Jesus "pay the price" for our redemption? [Re: Mountain Man] #94511
01/11/08 05:06 PM
01/11/08 05:06 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
The following insights confirm the truth about Jesus being our substitute and paying our sin debt of death. Law and justice demand death for sin. This debt must be paid. The only way God can justify pardoning penitent sinners, therefore, is due to the fact Jesus paid our sin debt of death. Jesus was treated like a sinner. This glorious truth is a wonderful problem. It is deeper than we can fathom.

MB 116
Glorious truth!--just to His own law, and yet the Justifier of all that believe in Jesus. {MB 116.1}

TMK 35
This wonderful problem--how God could be just and yet the justifier of sinners--is beyond human ken. As we attempt to fathom it, it broadens and deepens beyond our comprehension. {TMK 35.3}

AG 66
He is ready to pardon their sins if they will surrender and be loyal to Him. In order to be just, and yet the justifier of the sinner, He laid the punishment of sin upon His only begotten Son. {AG 66.3}

AG 138
The atonement that has been made for us by Christ is wholly and abundantly satisfactory to the Father. God can be just, and yet the justifier of those who believe. {AG 138.5}

MYP 69
God gave His only-begotten Son to save man. This He did that He might be just, and yet the justifier of all who accept Christ. Man sold himself to Satan, but Jesus bought back the race. {MYP 69.4}

9T
Christ bore our sins in His own body on the cross, that God might be just and yet the justifier of those who believe in Him. There is life, eternal life, for all who will surrender to Christ. {9T 193.2}

AG 139
Justice demands that sin be not merely pardoned, but the death penalty must be executed. God, in the gift of His only-begotten Son, met both these requirements. By dying in man's stead, Christ exhausted the penalty and provided a pardon. {AG 139.2}

SD 239
The justice, truth, and holiness of Christ, which are approved by the law of God, form a channel through which mercy may be communicated to the repenting, believing sinner. {SD 239.2}

SC 14
In becoming your Substitute and Surety, by surrendering My life, by taking your liabilities, your transgressions, I am endeared to My Father; for by My sacrifice, God can be just, and yet the Justifier of him who believeth in Jesus." {SC 14.1}

LHU
While the law of God is maintained, and its justice vindicated, the sinner can be pardoned. The dearest gift that heaven itself had to bestow has been poured out that God "might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus." {LHU 227.2}

5BC 1150
God bowed His head satisfied. Now His justice and mercy could blend. He could be just, and yet the justifier of all who should believe on Christ. He looked upon the victim expiring on the cross, and said, "It is finished. The human race shall have another trial." The redemption price was paid, and Satan fell like lightning from heaven (MS 111, 1897). {5BC 1150.1}

HP 15
Was the penalty remitted because He was the Son of God? Were the vials of wrath withheld from Him who was made sin for us? Without abatement the penalty fell upon our divine-human Substitute. Hear His cry, "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?" (Mark 15:34). He was treated as a sinner, that we might be treated as righteous, that God might be just, and yet the justifier of the sinner. {HP 15.6}

AG 161
It could be successful only by . . . Christ becoming man, and suffering the wrath which sin has made because of the transgression of God's law. Through this plan the great, the dreadful God can be just, and yet be the justifier of all who believe in Jesus, and who receive Him as their personal Saviour. {AG 161.4}

FLB 101
Hating sin with a perfect hatred, He yet gathered to His soul the sins of the whole world. Guiltless, He bore the punishment of the guilty. Innocent, yet offering Himself as a substitute for the transgressor. The guilt of every sin pressed its weight upon the divine soul of the world's Redeemer. The evil thoughts, the evil words, the evil deeds of every son and daughter of Adam, called for retribution upon Himself; for He had become man's substitute. {FLB 101.3}

AG 172
What a price has been paid for us! Behold the cross, and the Victim uplifted upon it. Look at those hands, pierced with the cruel nails. Look at His feet, fastened with spikes to the tree. Christ bore our sins in His own body. That suffering, that agony, is the price of your redemption. {AG 172.4}

Re: To whom or what did Jesus "pay the price" for our redemption? [Re: Mountain Man] #94512
01/11/08 05:27 PM
01/11/08 05:27 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM, this doesn't address my question either. Here's my question:

Quote:

What you just posted has nothing to do with what I'm asking.

Page 6 of 37 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 36 37

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!