HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,630
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
3 registered members (TheophilusOne, Karen Y, 1 invisible), 3,476 guests, and 15 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Who are God's 'chosen'? [Re: Colin] #95413
02/08/08 12:45 AM
02/08/08 12:45 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
assurance of salvation now and in the judgement, so long as we daily commit ourselves personally to Jesus as Lord of our lives.

Why daily? Why not more or less frequently? If our assurance of salvation is dependent upon our committing ourselves personally to Jesus as Lord, how do we know when we've done this? How well do have to commit ourselves? How do we know we've done it wrong enough?

It seems to me this is getting away from the idea that we have a legal justification which is effective for the whole world, and we are individually justified by faith as we believe that truth. In this idea, the assurance of salvation would come with the justification by faith. Thus we are justified by faith, and reserve assurance of salvation by faith.

Do you see what I'm getting at Colin? Do you think I'm asking a valid question here, or am I off base?

(Hope you don't mind my asking you about this; I was interested in your comments regarding this point).

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Who are God's 'chosen'? [Re: Tom] #95418
02/08/08 02:35 AM
02/08/08 02:35 AM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
Of course Jesus is the legal basis of salvation, by grace, but we only harness that surety by holding to him. "Daily" means regularly and consistently...

Yes, Jesus is the assurance, not our faith - don't worry: that wasn't my point, anyway. It appears Asygo was on a different point after all which I'm waiting for him to clarify with fun2believe...

Re: Who are God's 'chosen'? [Re: Colin] #95419
02/08/08 03:15 AM
02/08/08 03:15 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
but we only harness that surety by holding to him.

Does "holding to him" mean something different than having faith in Him?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Who are God's 'chosen'? [Re: Tom] #95423
02/08/08 01:57 PM
02/08/08 01:57 PM
C
Colin  Offline
Active Member 2012
Very Dedicated Member
E. Oregon, USA
No: just how specific do you want the wording to be; do you only go be set phrases?

Re: Who are God's 'chosen'? [Re: Colin] #95424
02/08/08 02:46 PM
02/08/08 02:46 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Meaning is good. "Holding to him" is rather vague, which is why I asked for clarification.

One of the great things about the 1888 message is that it's based on Good News (rather than good advice; I think you were the one pointing this out, if I recall correctly). Given this is the case, being clear with the phrases or words we use is a good goal, wouldn't you agree?

I don't mean to be picking on you. Thank you for your responses.

It's a challenging task for any of us to communicate on these subjects in such a way that our intent is understood, and sometimes we ourselves are not sure what we mean.

At any rate, I'm glad to hear that "holding to Him" simply means having faith in Him.

Re: Who are God's 'chosen'? [Re: vastergotland] #95428
02/08/08 04:35 PM
02/08/08 04:35 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Originally Posted By: västergötland
Or you could assume that fun2 was ironic or sarcastic in the first quote. That is even more likely considering the difference between that paragraph and others he/she has made, such as the second one you quoted.

That's possible. She can clarify that if she wishes. But that would just mean that she was duped in a different way. But I won't take the time to explain that now.

Look at the links I provided to other threads. You will find that differences in her sentiments can happen even within the same thread, so it's getting harder to assume what she means. For example, she will question a belief because the Bible does not explicitly state it, then turn around and say that the Bible doesn't contain all the truth there is.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Who are God's 'chosen'? [Re: Colin] #95429
02/08/08 04:49 PM
02/08/08 04:49 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Originally Posted By: Colin
Asygo, (leaving your latest post to be dealt with by fun2believe; I agree with you re Darius!) it is with assurance of eternal life we can claim Jesus as our personal Saviour: assurance of salvation now and in the judgement, so long as we daily commit ourselves personally to Jesus as Lord of our lives. The CHURCH cannot save (infamous RC heresy...to the contrary), especially the SDA church, which fun2believe isn't asserting in the first place.

As for what fun2 really wants to assert, I'll wait to see if she explains herself, or if she just resorts to ad-hominem. It's one thing to say, "You're wrong because that is not what I really meant." It's quite another to say, "You're wrong because you're a bad boy."

As for assurance of eternal life, I agree with you, despite the fact that the church is God's appointed agency for the salvation of men. The hymn is correct: Jesus saves.

However, we do find churches and people who have lost sight of that fact. This includes those who claim to trust Jesus, but are really trusting their own human reasoning and judgment. They need to be shown the light of God's truth. Hopefully, some will choose to rely on God instead of the arm of flesh.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Re: Who are God's 'chosen'? [Re: asygo] #95431
02/08/08 05:06 PM
02/08/08 05:06 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
It's one thing to say, "You're wrong because that is not what I really meant." It's quite another to say, "You're wrong because you're a bad boy."

I think you're wrong because you're a bad boy.     );

Re: Who are God's 'chosen'? [Re: Rick H] #95433
02/08/08 05:36 PM
02/08/08 05:36 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: Richard
Man cannot declare 'I am saved' or take eternal life as a prize from their own works or labors, it is a gift through Jesus Christ and it is God not man who decides whether you accepted it and are His people when He judges:

I am convinced we can know right now, moment by moment, that we are saved, that we are heaven-bound. Not knowing would be a major distraction. The blessed assurance is now. Sabbath-keeping is, in a special sense, a sign that we are saved.

1 John
5:13 These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

Exodus
31:13 Speak thou also unto the children of Israel, saying, Verily my sabbaths ye shall keep: for it [is] a sign between me and you throughout your generations; that [ye] may know that I [am] the LORD that doth sanctify you.

Ezekiel
20:20 And hallow my sabbaths; and they shall be a sign between me and you, that ye may know that I [am] the LORD your God.

Re: Who are God's 'chosen'? [Re: Tom] #95481
02/09/08 04:34 AM
02/09/08 04:34 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
I think you're wrong because you're a bad boy.     );

Dear Pot,

You are exactly right.

Sincerely,
Kettle
\:D

By God's grace,
Arnold

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!