HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,600
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 3,116 guests, and 20 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 18 of 39 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 38 39
Re: Does Blood Defile, Does Blood Cleanse, or Does Blood Do Both? [Re: tall73] #96157
03/02/08 11:54 PM
03/02/08 11:54 PM
T
tall73  Offline
MO
 Quote:

Quote:
But Adventists DO say the sins were in the blood that defiled the sanctuary. I am speaking of the blood already defiling the temple.

Well, I don’t believe that, neither do I know of any modern SDA scholar who does. Ellen White also doesn’t say that.

It was the blood that was to defile according to Adventist teaching.

In the typical service only those who had come before God with confession and repentance, and whose sins, through the blood of the sin offering, were transferred to the sanctuary, GC, 28

The blood was the means of defilement. Now perhaps what you have objection to is the idea of a record of sin being left by the blood. I don't know of EGW drawing this parallel. But I do know of some Adventists who have. For instance, here is Joe Crews on the subject:

Patiently he reviews the familiar prescription for choosing and consecrating men to the Levitical priesthood. In quite lengthy detail, he outlines the tabernacle services in which the blood of animals was sprinkled in the holy place to make a record of sin.

Either way my point was not that the blood actually defiles, since I don't think it does anyway. I think blood cleansed. My point is that we don't see an indication in what took place in the actual temple, with the high priest, that the major thrust was judgment. Instead it was purification. The sins were cleansed not examined by the high priest.

And as already stated the people either accepted that cleansing or not. But the types themselves did not picture investigation.

Quote:

You speak as if the cleansing excluded the idea of a judgment. This is not so. And the judgment clearly wasn’t something that happened in the aftermath of the ritual.

While the cleansing was being made, they were expected to afflict their souls. God knew who had sincerely repented from his/her sins during the ceremony and who hadn’t. It was a judgment invisible to human eyes.

First off what happened INSIDE the temple, involving the high priest (the part parallel to Jesus work) was in fact cleansing. The reception of that cleansing was the judgment.

In salvation history is it only during the day of atonement that people afflict themselves and gain forgiveness based on their response?

By your argument then it would make sense to have the investigative judgment going on EVER SINCE Jesus entered so that everyone would be afflicting themselves while it went on. The cleansing is the act of the presentation of the blood. The judgment deals with the response by each person, whether they appropriate what was done. The two need not happen at the same moment in literal time. just as the cross event does not stretch on forever in salvation history, but people still make their decision regarding it centuries later.

But if you prefer to think of it as an ongoing ministration then you must start it from Jesus' ascension when He entered into God's presence. This is when Hebrews uses day of atonement language to speak of Jesus' past actions.

Last edited by tall73; 03/02/08 11:57 PM.
Re: Does Blood Defile, Does Blood Cleanse, or Does Blood Do Both? [Re: tall73] #96185
03/03/08 07:23 PM
03/03/08 07:23 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
 Quote:
In my opinion they happened not simultaneously, but in succession – dedication first, then Pentecost.

Both after the passover and feast of unleavened bread and the wavesheaf? Again, we have a changing of order.

There is no changing of order. The first temple, for instance, was dedicated in the seventh month (1 Ki 8:2), and the second temple in the 12th month (Ezra 6:15). So the dedication of the temple could occur at any date, independently of the order of the feasts. Besides, Pentecost, like all the other feasts except Atonement, required no presentation of blood (although a sin-offering was made on every day of every feast, including new moons).

Quote:
Not just entered, but the entrance was described in day of atonement language, as even you acknowledge. This then had to be at least the start of the fulfillment of the type.

No, this doesn’t need to be necessarily the case, for His entry was a multipurpose entry. The antitype of the Day of Atonement, to be consistent with the pattern we have of the fulfillment of Passover, Wavesheaf and Pentecost, had to occur on a Day of Atonement.

Quote:
And yet EGW made particular note of Christ's ENTRY for the day of atonement which you seem to now be admitting Hebrews places, in day of atonement language, back at His ascension.

What passage(s) are you referring to?

Quote:
In the typical service only those who had come before God with confession and repentance, and whose sins, through the blood of the sin offering, were transferred to the sanctuary, GC, 28

The blood was the means of defilement.

No, the agent of defilement is sin, not the blood. The blood is the means through which sins can be transferred to the sanctuary, instead of remaining upon the sinner. Not a physical means, to be sure (that is, the blood did not carry sins), but the merits of the blood made it possible for sins to be registered in the sanctuary and subsequently blotted out.
Why is a record of sins so important? As I said previously, although forgiveness leaves us under no condemnation, the Bible clearly teaches that it may be cancelled if we reject Christ (Matt. 18:23-35). That’s why a registry of our sins must remain until we die or until probation closes. Then it is blotted out.
In fact, in my opinion SDAs are the only ones who offer a reasonable explanation to this parable of Matt. 18. Notice what Gill says: “But inasmuch as this man was fully and freely pardoned before, how comes it to pass, that full payment of debt is yet insisted on? It is certain, that sin, once pardoned by God, he never punishes for it; for pardon with him is of all sin; he forgives all trespasses, though ever so many, and remits the whole debt, be it ever so large; which act of his grace will never be revoked.” Therefore, he says, sin “is blotted out, and entirely done away, and that for ever. Hence some think this man had only the offer of a pardon, and not that itself. ... Others think, that this was a church forgiveness. ... Others, this forgiveness was only in his own apprehensions: he presumed, and hoped he was forgiven, when he was not.” In the end, he presents no satisfactory explanation.
In fact, the only satisfactory explanation is that sins are not blotted out at the moment they are forgiven.

Quote:
First off what happened INSIDE the temple, involving the high priest (the part parallel to Jesus work) was in fact cleansing. The reception of that cleansing was the judgment.

No, it was simultaneous. While the cleansing lasted, God was judging His people.

Quote:
In salvation history is it only during the day of atonement that people afflict themselves and gain forgiveness based on their response?

No, the distinct factor here is that those who did not afflict their souls (that is, those who did not repent of their sins) would be cut off from God’s people. To be sure, God didn’t strike anyone dead during the day of atonement, but in heaven a separation was made between the sincere ones and the insincere ones. The insincere ones were no longer considered part of God’s people.

Re: Does Blood Defile, Does Blood Cleanse, or Does Blood Do Both? [Re: tall73] #96191
03/03/08 10:18 PM
03/03/08 10:18 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
It seems to me that Daniel needs to be considered in conjunction with Hebrews. For example, if there's any merit to the 2300 day prophesy, as SDA's understand it, then *something* happened in 1844. The author of Hebrews would no doubt have been aware of that.

Regarding the points Rosangela has been making about the cleansing involving judgment, Daniel seems to bring this out. One would assume that the writer of Hebrews would not be writing in a vacuum, but taking Daniel into account.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does Blood Defile, Does Blood Cleanse, or Does Blood Do Both? [Re: Rosangela] #96194
03/03/08 11:43 PM
03/03/08 11:43 PM
T
tall73  Offline
MO
 Originally Posted By: Rosangela
 Quote:
 Quote:
In my opinion they happened not simultaneously, but in succession – dedication first, then Pentecost.

Both after the passover and feast of unleavened bread and the wavesheaf? Again, we have a changing of order.

There is no changing of order. The first temple, for instance, was dedicated in the seventh month (1 Ki 8:2), and the second temple in the 12th month (Ezra 6:15). So the dedication of the temple could occur at any date, independently of the order of the feasts. Besides, Pentecost, like all the other feasts except Atonement, required no presentation of blood (although a sin-offering was made on every day of every feast, including new moons).

A. If no other feast included blood offering then what else could this be?
B. There was a change. Regardless of the month the dedication ocurred in it would seem that the temple should be dedicated before the rites of the temple were carried out. But we see all of these things happening at once--dedication, daily, red heifer, etc. And I would submit the day of atonement.

And again, the fact that there was ONE sacrifice is a HUGE alteration of the type. There is no way around it. So too is the change of the priesthood.

Quote:

Quote:
Not just entered, but the entrance was described in day of atonement language, as even you acknowledge. This then had to be at least the start of the fulfillment of the type.

No, this doesn’t need to be necessarily the case, for His entry was a multipurpose entry. The antitype of the Day of Atonement, to be consistent with the pattern we have of the fulfillment of Passover, Wavesheaf and Pentecost, had to occur on a Day of Atonement.

So despite the fact that it clearly says He entered in day of atonement language you reject that based on the OT pattern? Even though the sacrifice and the priesthood were both altered from the pattern? If it says that is what happened then I have no choice but to accept that, regardless of my view of the pattern.

How many by the pattern would expect a priest from Judah? In all ways Hebrews shows that Jesus both fulfills AND transcends the type. He did not enter a man-made temple but heaven itself. He did not present animal blood but His own blood. He did not have to suffer many times over many occasions but once. So what is the best way to tell what the fulfillment is? By what the text says or by our interpretation of the type?

Quote:

Quote:
And yet EGW made particular note of Christ's ENTRY for the day of atonement which you seem to now be admitting Hebrews places, in day of atonement language, back at His ascension.

Sabbath, March 24th, 1849, we had a sweet, and very interesting meeting with the Brethren at Topsham, Me. The Holy Ghost was poured out upon us, and I was taken off in the Spirit to the City of the living God. There I was shown that the commandments of God, and the testimony of Jesus Christ, relating to the shut door, could not be separated, and that the time for the commandments of God to shine out, with all their importance, and for God's people to be tried on the Sabbath truth, was when the door was opened in the Most Holy Place of the Heavenly Sanctuary, where the Ark is, containing the ten commandments. This door was not opened, until the mediation of Jesus was finished in the Holy Place of the Sanctuary in 1844. Then, Jesus rose up, and shut the door in the Holy Place, and opened the door in the Most Holy, and passed within the second vail, where he now stands by the Ark; and where the faith of Israel now reaches. {RH, August 1, 1849 par. 2}

The enemies of the present truth have been trying to open the door of the holy place, that Jesus has shut, and to close the door of the most holy place, which He opened in 1844, where the ark is, containing the two tables of stone on which are written the ten commandments by the finger of Jehovah. {EW 43.1}

Ellen White is also in accord with the statement of Hiram Edson in his account of the cornfield vision where the idea was first raised:

“Heaven seemed open to my view, and I saw distinctly and clearly, that instead of our High Priest coming out of the Most Holy of the heavenly sanctuary to come to this earth on the tenth day of the seventh month, at the end of the 2300 days, that he for the first time entered on that day the second apartment of that sanctuary; and that he had a work to perform in the Most Holy before coming to this earth.

Last edited by tall73; 03/03/08 11:45 PM.
Re: Does Blood Defile, Does Blood Cleanse, or Does Blood Do Both? [Re: tall73] #96196
03/04/08 12:03 AM
03/04/08 12:03 AM
T
tall73  Offline
MO
I wrote up a long reply to the sin/defilement portion, but I think that is not going to be helpful. I was trying to illustrate something specific by my earlier statement and instead we have re-opened the old debate about transfer.

Quote:

No, the distinct factor here is that those who did not afflict their souls (that is, those who did not repent of their sins) would be cut off from God’s people. To be sure, God didn’t strike anyone dead during the day of atonement, but in heaven a separation was made between the sincere ones and the insincere ones. The insincere ones were no longer considered part of God’s people.

Did those people who lived before 1844 afflict their souls? Did those who lived before Christ have to afflict their souls to have forgiveness?

Last edited by tall73; 03/04/08 12:15 AM.
Re: Does Blood Defile, Does Blood Cleanse, or Does Blood Do Both? [Re: Tom] #96197
03/04/08 12:04 AM
03/04/08 12:04 AM
T
tall73  Offline
MO
 Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
It seems to me that Daniel needs to be considered in conjunction with Hebrews. For example, if there's any merit to the 2300 day prophesy, as SDA's understand it, then *something* happened in 1844. The author of Hebrews would no doubt have been aware of that.

Regarding the points Rosangela has been making about the cleansing involving judgment, Daniel seems to bring this out. One would assume that the writer of Hebrews would not be writing in a vacuum, but taking Daniel into account.

That is another whole topic to itself. Maybe we will get to it at some point.

Re: Does Blood Defile, Does Blood Cleanse, or Does Blood Do Both? [Re: tall73] #96198
03/04/08 03:11 AM
03/04/08 03:11 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Well, you'd have to assume the author of Hebrews was familiar with Daniel, and that Hebrews was dependent upon Daniel. So considering Hebrews without considering Daniel seems a bit fruitless.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does Blood Defile, Does Blood Cleanse, or Does Blood Do Both? [Re: Tom] #96199
03/04/08 03:14 AM
03/04/08 03:14 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Did those people who lived before 1844 afflict their souls? Did those who lived before Christ have to afflict their souls to have forgiveness.

The affliction of the soul is not so much to obtain forgiveness, but to understand what the high priest is doing. Jewelry was removed. Food and drink were not taken. All this was so the mind would be clear, to follow, by faith, what the high priest was doing.

As 1844 is the antitypical day of atonement, the people did not afflict their souls, because they did not have the realization that they were living in a day of judgment. Laodecia is the church of the judgment, so those living in this time have a unique experience.

Re: Does Blood Defile, Does Blood Cleanse, or Does Blood Do Both? [Re: tall73] #96213
03/04/08 06:04 PM
03/04/08 06:04 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:

By order, the first thing that needed blood was the dedication of the temple. Then, Christ would need to present His blood to fulfill the antitype of the daily ministration, and then of the yearly ministration.

Quote:
There was a change. Regardless of the month the dedication ocurred in it would seem that the temple should be dedicated before the rites of the temple were carried out. But we see all of these things happening at once--dedication, daily, red heifer, etc. And I would submit the day of atonement.

I don’t see how it can be demonstrated that there was a change in the order of the feasts. You say that everything happened at once, but this is not true, specially in relation to the feasts. Although there was just a sacrifice for Passover (and Wavesheaf), Pentecost, Atonement and Tabernacles, we know that Passover (including Wavesheaf) and Pentecost were fulfilled in the correct order, and that Tabernacles wasn’t yet fulfilled, but will be fulfilled at Christ’s coming. What basis is there for saying that Atonement was fulfilled out of order, simultaneously with Pentecost?

Quote:
So despite the fact that it clearly says He entered in day of atonement language you reject that based on the OT pattern?

No, not based on the OT pattern, but on the pattern of the New Testament fulfillment of the OT types. The fulfillment of Passover-Wavesheaf-Pentecost established a pattern.
 Quote:
 Quote:

RH, August 1, 1849 par. 2

Sorry, I obviously was aware of the passage you quoted, but I had understood you to mean the following: “And yet EGW made particular note of Christ's ENTRY for the day of atonement ... back at His ascension,” which I found strange.

Quote:
Did those people who lived before 1844 afflict their souls? Did those who lived before Christ have to afflict their souls to have forgiveness?

I believe the phrase “afflict their souls” just means repentance from sin. And of course it is not this fact that I am saying indicates a judgment, but the fact that those who did not sincerely repent from their sins were, on that specific day, cut off from the people. This implies, as I have pointed out, a separation, or judgment, in heaven.

Re: Does Blood Defile, Does Blood Cleanse, or Does Blood Do Both? [Re: Rosangela] #96248
03/05/08 03:36 AM
03/05/08 03:36 AM
T
tall73  Offline
MO
 Quote:

By order, the first thing that needed blood was the dedication of the temple. Then, Christ would need to present His blood to fulfill the antitype of the daily ministration, and then of the yearly ministration.

And yet again you have not explained why the entrance is explained then in day of atonement language. Why is that if it is not associated with the day of atonement.

And did Jesus go into the MHP to annoint?

Quote:

I don’t see how it can be demonstrated that there was a change in the order of the feasts. You say that everything happened at once, but this is not true, specially in relation to the feasts. Although there was just a sacrifice for Passover (and Wavesheaf), Pentecost, Atonement and Tabernacles, we know that Passover (including Wavesheaf) and Pentecost were fulfilled in the correct order, and that Tabernacles wasn’t yet fulfilled, but will be fulfilled at Christ’s coming. What basis is there for saying that Atonement was fulfilled out of order, simultaneously with Pentecost?

You will note I did NOT say the passover was fulfilled then. I said Pentecost, dedciation, daily, red heifer, and according to the text the entrance of the day of atonement.

Why do I say it was simultaneous? Because the text does. Just as the text says the once for all nature of the sacrifice was changed.

Now you have yet to explain why Adventists do not have literal fulfillments of the fall feasts. The feast of tabernacles was allegorized to a time period rather than a day. The day of atonement is stretched out to 150 plus years rather than a day. And frankly nothing happened to demonstrate that it even occurred. Therefore I am not sure your argument on the feasts is at all consistent. If it is a pattern then why don't these feasts match up?

The bottom line is you admit it is a day of atonement reference. It is clear the author applies it to Jesus entrance. But you reject it based on your notion of what must be the order, rather than on what the text says. But you choose to accept feasts that do not really fulfill the type the way the Spring ones do.

Quote:
So despite the fact that it clearly says He entered in day of atonement language you reject that based on the OT pattern?

No, not based on the OT pattern, but on the pattern of the New Testament fulfillment of the OT types. The fulfillment of Passover-Wavesheaf-Pentecost established a pattern.

See above.

Page 18 of 39 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 38 39

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/28/24 11:09 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/28/24 09:29 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!