HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,615
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 19
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 3,206 guests, and 23 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 21 of 39 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 38 39
Re: Does Blood Defile, Does Blood Cleanse, or Does Blood Do Both? [Re: Rosangela] #96387
03/06/08 11:06 PM
03/06/08 11:06 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
 Originally Posted By: Rosangela
Thomas,

I haven't read what is in the link provided, just read the paragraphs you posted, where he says many things but doesn't mention specifically his objctions. In the end, he says,
He does that elsewere. His main thesis seems to be founded on the premise that the historicist method of interpretation lacks foundation. I dont know wether this is true or not.
 Quote:

"Having made that sacrifice, Christ entered the Most Holy
Place--'heaven itself'--to appear in the presence of God on our behalf."

He here equates the most holy place with heaven (the common opinion of our evangelical friends), which begs the question, What is the holy place? or, What did the holy place symbolize?
That is a good question, one which I have no answer to. But it does seem reasonable that since anything that is holy recieves its holiness through its relation to God, the place where God most manifests His presence would be the most Holy place, ie the place Jesus would go to to be in the Fathers presence.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: Does Blood Defile, Does Blood Cleanse, or Does Blood Do Both? [Re: Rosangela] #96437
03/07/08 04:45 AM
03/07/08 04:45 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
At this point I don't see much evidence for it, no. The cleansing was from the defiling of the little horn.

Thanks, tall. You've mentioned the sanctuary animals a couple of times in different posts. That makes me curious. Are you familiar with John Peter's paper on the daily?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does Blood Defile, Does Blood Cleanse, or Does Blood Do Both? [Re: Rosangela] #96438
03/07/08 05:00 AM
03/07/08 05:00 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Thomas, regarding your post #96336, thanks for posting that link. It looks very interesting.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Does Blood Defile, Does Blood Cleanse, or Does Blood Do Both? [Re: Rosangela] #96439
03/07/08 05:03 AM
03/07/08 05:03 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Accordingly, predictive prophecy is always conditional on the response of the people to whom it is addressed. Its function is not to demonstrate divine foreknowledge nor does it necessarily predetermine the course of events, for if it did it would thereby deprive people of the power of choice. Its intended purpose is to enable them to make wise choices in the present by indicating the ultimate result of either a right or a wrong choice. For this reason Bible prophecy, even apocalyptic prophecy, is always conditional, and its time element is always flexible, in order to provide for the free exercise of human choice.69 It is a preview of what can be, not what necessarily will be.

I think this is a very good argument, and a good choice of texts. I've used this text often, particularly in addressing Romans 9, but didn't think of using it in this context.

Re: Does Blood Defile, Does Blood Cleanse, or Does Blood Do Both? [Re: Rosangela] #96440
03/07/08 05:14 AM
03/07/08 05:14 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
B. Why would it be a problem for a 2000 year gap or a 2000 year fulfillment? You already have a 150 year day of atonement as it is.

It's very easy to explain the 150 year gap. What would the explanation of a 2000 year gap be?

Re: Does Blood Defile, Does Blood Cleanse, or Does Blood Do Both? [Re: vastergotland] #96495
03/08/08 12:56 AM
03/08/08 12:56 AM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
His main thesis seems to be founded on the premise that the historicist method of interpretation lacks foundation. I dont know wether this is true or not.

It’s interesting that while many SDAs are rejecting historicism, people of other faiths are turning to it. In a quick search, I thought I would find mainly SDA websites, but found mainly non-SDA websites defending this view (not mormons nor JW).

Quote:
 Quote:
He here equates the most holy place with heaven (the common opinion of our evangelical friends), which begs the question, What is the holy place? or, What did the holy place symbolize?

That is a good question, one which I have no answer to. But it does seem reasonable that since anything that is holy recieves its holiness through its relation to God, the place where God most manifests His presence would be the most Holy place, ie the place Jesus would go to to be in the Fathers presence.

It’s interesting to note, Thomas, that in Revelation instruments of service of both compartments in the earthly sanctuary are seen by the prophet as having their counterpart in the sanctuary above. What would this mean? A question to ponder.

Re: Does Blood Defile, Does Blood Cleanse, or Does Blood Do Both? [Re: Rosangela] #96546
03/08/08 11:37 PM
03/08/08 11:37 PM
T
tall73  Offline
MO
Been busy over on another forum discussing a similar aspect of this topic. Sorry for the delay. I am thinking it might be easier if all of the folks I discuss this with across three boards were on one board!

As it turns out one from one of the boards just went to the second of the three, so maybe that will someday happen.

I won't mention any names of other forums here out of respect to Daryl and his board. But if any of you all want to meet at this other board sometime and discuss this issue with more voices involved let me know by pm. I wind up posting some of the same material here, but I have to reformat it all for this boardThe other two use the same kind of editor. And Daryl allowed this as a bit of an exception to start with, so I don't want to push things too far here.

Pm me if you are interested.

Last edited by tall73; 03/08/08 11:38 PM.
Re: Does Blood Defile, Does Blood Cleanse, or Does Blood Do Both? [Re: Rosangela] #96551
03/08/08 11:51 PM
03/08/08 11:51 PM
T
tall73  Offline
MO
 Quote:
She also speaks of open and shut doors.

Sometimes she mentions doors, sometimes she mentions veils, sometimes she mentions that Christ passed from one compartment to the other. It’s much more probable that these references are symbolic, both in her writings and in the Bible. When Paul mentions that our hope enters into that which is within the veil, does he refer to a literal veil in heaven, or does he just mean the presence of God? So, if Ellen White’s visions are symbolic, her reference is to a two-phase ministry of Christ.

Recent scholarship has focused on the two-phases rather than celestial geography. But that may have more to do with the fact that the celestial geography argument that the pioneers started with was a lot harder to prove.

In either case either Jesus entered into God's presence in fulfillment of that part of the type or He didn't.

Quote:

Quote:
What I mean is that you pick and choose when you want to type to apply in order. In the type the affliction went on DURING the day of atonement. But you now seem to admit that all have affliction of repentance during their lifetime.

Tall, this argument is completely unreasonable. Of course this was a special humiliation of soul in view of a specially solemn occasion. But the main point of the type not that; it is that those who clang to their sins were cut off from the people, and this typifies a judgment. The argument about repentance being “in real time” makes so much sense as saying that the saved cannot rejoice on the occasion of their reunion in heaven (see Lev. 23:40) because all people rejoice during their lifetime.
 Quote:

[quote]
When did Jesus sit down? After the cross or after going into God's presence to present His sacrifice?

One prominent Bible emphasis is Jesus’ s exaltation after the cross.

“And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross. Therefore God also has highly exalted Him and given Him the name which is above every name” (Phil. 2:8,9).

“But we see Jesus, who for a little while was made lower than the angels, crowned with glory and honor because of the suffering of death” (Heb. 2:9).

The text you quoted says:

“Who being the brightness of His glory and the express image of His person, and upholding all things by the word of His power, when He had by Himself purged our sins, sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high, having become so much better than the angels, as He has by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they. For to which of the angels did He ever say: ‘You are My Son, Today I have begotten You’?” (Heb. 1:3-5).

The text quotes Psalms 2:7. So does Heb. 5:5, which speaks of Christ’s glorification as High Priest. But Ps. 2:7 is quoted in Acts 13:33 for Christ’s resurrection.

So, Christ’s resurrection and enthronement are seen as a joint event in the Bible – as His exaltation after the cross.

“This Jesus God has raised up, of which we are all witnesses. Therefore being exalted to the right hand of God, and having received from the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit, He poured out this which you now see and hear” (Acts 2:32, 33)

So I see Heb. 1:3 as a reference to Christ’s exaltation after the cross.

Alright, up to here we are fine. This refers to Jesus exaltation after the cross, resurrection, ascension.

Quote:

I see no presentation of blood at Christ’s ascension except for His inauguration as High Priest and His dedication of the sanctuary.

And this I simply can't understand. If Jesus is described in day of atonement language, as you admit, going into God's presence, how is that not fulfilling the type? How was that not involved in the purification? Did you notice both vs. 23 and 1:3 mention purification?

Quote:

Quote:
Verse 23 directly references the cleansing of the sanctuary and verse 24-25 are describing that cleansing in day of atonement language.

I see Heb. 9:23 as a generic reference to the cleansing of a sanctuary, not a specific reference to the day of atonement. There was a cleansing before the sanctuary was put into use. Paul refers to this in vv.21, 22, and it is in this context that v. 23 follows:

21 Then likewise he sprinkled with blood both the tabernacle and all the vessels of the ministry.
22 And according to the law almost all things are purified with blood, and without shedding of blood there is no remission.
23 Therefore it was necessary that the copies of the things in the heavens should be purified with these, but the heavenly things themselves with better sacrifices than these.
24 For Christ has not entered the holy places made with hands, which are copies of the true, but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God for us.

If you read these verses with the dedication of the sanctuary in mind, the context becomes completely different.

Actually I read it with both in mind because the author refers to both services. You earlier admitted a day of atonement reference but somehow want to limit everything to the inauguration. Verse 23 is not only tied to the preceding section but the following section by the term γαρ, and the following section explains the entrance that before was seen in inauguration language in day of atonement language. There was only one entrance. It applied to both services.

Last edited by tall73; 03/08/08 11:54 PM.
Re: Does Blood Defile, Does Blood Cleanse, or Does Blood Do Both? [Re: vastergotland] #96553
03/08/08 11:57 PM
03/08/08 11:57 PM
T
tall73  Offline
MO
 Originally Posted By: västergötland
Maybe this should have had its own thread, but here it gets the atention of those qualified to evaluate it sooner.

It is an interesting document. It highlights more of the historical develpments than the theological issues. Cottrell wrote a fuller exposition of his theological insights on the IJ, but most folks don't have access to it. He did not apparently want it publicly released at this time. Ford has some selections from it on his website, and doubtless Cottrell shared it with some of his inner circle. But the rest of his insights are in the GC archives. Unless perhaps one of you have access to this work. In which case I would love to see it.

Which reminds me, I really don't understand why all of these resources can't be put in easy to access formats. The DARCOM series in particular should be online for free. I know of one Adventist young man (quite conservative) who would very much like to read them but can't afford them. Why, if those are the best denominational answers, are they not making them easy to get to?

And why if Cottrell and others have insights on it did they not open it up to the public? I understand that perhaps they did not want a rent in the denomination, but it is frustrating for those who were not in on all of the historical debates to not have access to all of the insights of our scholars who have considered these issues for years.

I was struck when I went to Andrews with the sheer amount of material that they had for me to look at that no one outside of scholastic circles had heard much about.

Last edited by tall73; 03/09/08 12:00 AM.
Re: Does Blood Defile, Does Blood Cleanse, or Does Blood Do Both? [Re: Rosangela] #96554
03/09/08 12:03 AM
03/09/08 12:03 AM
T
tall73  Offline
MO
Thomas,

I haven't read what is in the link provided, just read the paragraphs you posted, where he says many things but doesn't mention specifically his objctions. In the end, he says,

"Having made that sacrifice, Christ entered the Most Holy
Place--'heaven itself'--to appear in the presence of God on our behalf."

I can't answer for Cottrell but some view heaven as not being divided. Some do so for the reason that the veil was torn assunder at the cross, giving full access.

Others see the first compartment as symbolic of the separation under the old covenant. As the author of Hebrews indicates only the high priest could enter, once per year.

But now we have free access directly into God's presence.

Last edited by tall73; 03/09/08 12:04 AM.
Page 21 of 39 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 38 39

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 07:26 PM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!