HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,615
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 19
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 3,241 guests, and 23 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 10 of 38 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 37 38
Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: vastergotland] #96946
03/14/08 10:50 PM
03/14/08 10:50 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Do such impure looks constitute polygamy?

This is a really strange question. Why are you asking this? I'm sure you know the answer to your question.

Quote:
Where in the Bible or the SOP does it say polygamy violates the seventh commandment?

I can answer this, but I'll delay for a moment. Do you really not think that polygamy violates the seventh commandment?

Quote:
I’m not asking if you could point them out in yourself. Instead, I’m asking you to name any sinful behaviors that still fall into this category today.

I wasn't talking about myself. I said if there were sins that God was winking at today, we wouldn't know about them, since He's winking at them. So I could hardly point out such a sin.

Quote:
Are you suggesting polygamy is an example of a sinful behavior God still “winks” at today?

I said:

Quote:
In the Old Testament, people had multiple wives. This was as much of a sin then as it is now, yet many people who followed God were ignorant of this.

Quote:
Keep in mind, my friend, I’m not talking about people who have never studied with a Bible worker. I’m referring specifically to people who have been properly prepared for baptism, who have experienced the miracle of rebirth, who are SDA members in good and regular standing, who are abiding in Jesus, who are walking in the Spirit and mind of the new man.

ok

Quote:
Are you saying God permits people to do things that are not wrong, things which also happen to offend people, which cause them to despise the Gospel?

Certainly God permits such things. They happen all the time. If God didn't permit these things, they wouldn't happen.

Quote:
Do you mean something like God permitting a born again believer to obey the law? If so, it doesn’t make sense to me, because God commands us to obey the law. He doesn’t permit us to obey the law.

This is very confusing. What are you talking about?

Quote:
So, there are at least two ways the people described above can misrepresent God’s character and kingdom:1) By believing something untrue about God, and 2) By not knowing everything they can know or need to know about God? And, these things cause people to despise the Gospel. Here’s my question – Why is the Holy Spirit waiting to reveal it to them? Is the truth about God so overwhelming it would cause them to apostatize?

I was only addressing 1). Regarding why the Holy Spirit waits, sometimes people fight against the messages He sends. For example, a bit over a hundred years ago He sent a message whose specific purpose was to prepare for the coming of Christ, and people are still fighting against that message.

Regarding your last question, it depends. It's possible.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: Tom] #96958
03/15/08 01:10 PM
03/15/08 01:10 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Can we drop polygamy as an example of God winking at sinful behavior nowadays? Or, do you think He still winks at it? Remember, I'm not talking about people 100 years ago, or people who have never heard of Jesus, or Laodiceans, or uninformed tribes in deep, dark continents.

I’m referring specifically to people who have been properly prepared for baptism, who have experienced the miracle of rebirth, who are SDA members in good and regular standing, who are abiding in Jesus, who are walking in the Spirit and mind of the new man, who are Spirit led believers.

Yes, obeying the will and law of God will cause some people to be offended. They were offended at Jesus. His righteousness drove them to madness. However, it sounds weird to me to say God "permits" this to happen. God is not arbitrary. He is not going to force people to appreciate godly Christians. Instead, He commands Christians to be loving and like Jesus. He doesn't permit it. And, the fact godliness offends certain people isn't something God "permits", as if He could simply prevent it. That's not how God operates.

So, when I ask - Are there sinful behaviors God still winks at nowadays that offend people, that cause them to despise the Gospel? - I'm not talking about godly behavior which offends people. Instead, I'm talking about things like being grouchy and grumpy and irritable; things like being impatient and short tempered and hot headed; things like being stingy and selfish and self-serving.

Does God wink at these kinds of offensive behaviors in the types of Christians I described above? In other words, can they behave in such ways without realizing they are being horribly unlike Jesus? Does the Holy Spirit allow them to go on behaving unlike Jesus without revealing it to them? If so, why? Is it because it wold discourage them?

Are there behaviors, like the ones listed above, that the types of Christians I described above, would be discouraged out of the faith if the Holy Spirit revealed it to them as sinful behavior, if He convicted them that such behavior is wrong and inexcusable?

And, if the Holy Spirit doesn't reveal it to them, and they go on behaving in a way that offends people around them, that causes them to conclude Christianity must be a joke if it can't help believers be more loving and kind and patient, is such behavior winked at because the Holy Spirit did not reveal it to them in its true light?

Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: Mountain Man] #96964
03/15/08 07:33 PM
03/15/08 07:33 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Can we drop polygamy as an example of God winking at sinful behavior nowadays? Or, do you think He still winks at it? Remember, I'm not talking about people 100 years ago, or people who have never heard of Jesus, or Laodiceans, or uninformed tribes in deep, dark continents.

I’m referring specifically to people who have been properly prepared for baptism, who have experienced the miracle of rebirth, who are SDA members in good and regular standing, who are abiding in Jesus, who are walking in the Spirit and mind of the new man, who are Spirit led believers.

Your theory was that the last 6 commandments are known by instinct, that we can't ignorantly break any of them. Polygamy disproves your theory, which is why I mentioned it. Unless you want to change your theory to be something like, in the past the last 6 commandments weren't known by instinct, but now they are, whether polygamy is a sin God does not wink at anymore is irrelevant; the important point is that the theory doesn't hold water.

I'm not sure what you're getting at in the rest of the post. Based on what I've read from you in previous posts, I suspect it has to do with the idea that you've expressed that we do not become like Jesus by sinning less and less. I think our behavior is a barometer of other factors, and that the most important thing is getting God's character right. We become like the God that we worship, and if we have wrong ideas about what He is like, then we will come to take on those wrong ideas as a part of our own character. The problem isn't that the Holy Spirit neglects to reveal the truth to us, but that we don't necessarily listen to what He's telling us.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: Tom] #96967
03/15/08 11:20 PM
03/15/08 11:20 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: Your theory was that the last 6 commandments are known by instinct, that we can't ignorantly break any of them.

MM: This is true.

TE: Polygamy disproves your theory, which is why I mentioned it.

MM: This is not true.

Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: Mountain Man] #96968
03/15/08 11:23 PM
03/15/08 11:23 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: I'm not sure what you're getting at in the rest of the post.

MM: Does God wink at these kinds of offensive behaviors in the types of Christians I described above? In other words, can they behave in such ways without realizing they are being horribly unlike Jesus? Does the Holy Spirit allow them to go on behaving unlike Jesus without revealing it to them? If so, why?

Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: Mountain Man] #96980
03/16/08 03:32 AM
03/16/08 03:32 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
TE: Your theory was that the last 6 commandments are known by instinct, that we can't ignorantly break any of them.

MM: This is true.

TE: Polygamy disproves your theory, which is why I mentioned it.

MM: This is not true.

Sure it is. Polygamy is a sin. It doesn't break one of the 4 first commandments, therefore it breaks one of the last 6. It's not something known by instinct, so this disproves your theory.

Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: Tom] #96981
03/16/08 03:44 AM
03/16/08 03:44 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
TE: I'm not sure what you're getting at in the rest of the post.

MM: Does God wink at these kinds of offensive behaviors in the types of Christians I described above? In other words, can they behave in such ways without realizing they are being horribly unlike Jesus? Does the Holy Spirit allow them to go on behaving unlike Jesus without revealing it to them? If so, why?

I'm not sure what you're asking here. The Holy Spirit cannot force us to be like Jesus. So, yes, the Holy Spirit allows us to be unlike Jesus. He can only reveal to us that which we are willing to allow Him to reveal.

I seem to recall an SOP statement which says something like God reveals truth as fast as we are willing and able to receive it (although I couldn't find it).

Our unwillingness to receive truth involves many aspects. There are few people who are open to receive any truth that God reveals. Something I find amazing about Ellen White is that she said from the age of 14 or so, as soon as God revealed what He wanted her to do, she was willing to do it.

Ellen White speaks of how God will bring us around to the same issue if we are unwilling to respond to it the first time. She doesn't say we're lost if we don't accept something God reveals to us the first time He reveals it.

Again, there's all sorts of reasons people resist truth. For example, regarding yourself, you seem reticent to receive truths revealed by Jones and Waggoner. I have no idea why that is. This doesn't mean you're lost.

Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: Tom] #96991
03/16/08 03:07 PM
03/16/08 03:07 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: Sure it is. Polygamy is a sin. It doesn't break one of the 4 first commandments, therefore it breaks one of the last 6. It's not something known by instinct, so this disproves your theory.

MM: Prove it. Your saying so doesn't make it so, right? In the process, you might want to prove how incest was a sin during the early days of mankind.

---

TE: I'm not sure what you're asking here.

MM: You're not addressing my question. It is very pointed, very specific. It is not a generalize question. Here it is again:

Please bear in mind I am talking specifically about people who have been properly prepared for baptism, who have experienced the miracle of rebirth, who are SDA members in good and regular standing, who are abiding in Jesus, who are walking in the Spirit and mind of the new man, who are Spirit led believers.

In cases involving these specific types of people, does God wink at sinful behaviors which offend people, which cause them to conclude Christianity is a joke, which cause them to despise the Gospel? If so, why?

In cases involving these specific types of people, are they ignorant of the fact that their behavior offends people around them, that it causes them to conclude Christianity is a joke, that it causes them to despise the Gospel? If so, why?

---

TE: For example, regarding yourself, you seem reticent to receive truths revealed by Jones and Waggoner.

MM: Can you prove they wrote something that is needful for my salvation that is not also explained in the SOP?

Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: Mountain Man] #96996
03/16/08 03:57 PM
03/16/08 03:57 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
TE: Sure it is. Polygamy is a sin. It doesn't break one of the 4 first commandments, therefore it breaks one of the last 6. It's not something known by instinct, so this disproves your theory.

MM: Prove it. Your saying so doesn't make it so, right? In the process, you might want to prove how incest was a sin during the early days of mankind.

By "prove it," I assume you mean to prove that polygamy is a sin. I'm surprised you would dispute such a thing.

Quote:
Abraham had accepted without question the promise of a son, but he did not wait for God to fulfill His word in His own time and way. A delay was permitted, to test his faith in the power of God; but he failed to endure the trial. Thinking it impossible that a child should be given her in her old age, Sarah suggested, as a plan by which the divine purpose might be fulfilled, that one of her handmaidens should be taken by Abraham as a secondary wife. Polygamy had become so widespread that it had ceased to be regarded as a sin, but it was no less a violation of the law of God, and was fatal to the sacredness and peace of the family relation. Abraham's marriage with Hagar resulted in evil, not only to his own household, but to future generations. (PP 145; emphasis mine)

Regarding your question, you're simply reposting what I said was not clear to me what you were asking, not surprisingly, did not help. If you repost it again, that won't help either. Perhaps you could rephrase what you are trying to get at.

Quote:
TE: For example, regarding yourself, you seem reticent to receive truths revealed by Jones and Waggoner.

MM: Can you prove they wrote something that is needful for my salvation that is not also explained in the SOP?

The purpose of Jones and Waggoner's message was to prepare a people for Christ's second coming. There are things more important than simply the salvation of MM, for example, the honor and glory of Christ.

Regarding the fact that Jones and Waggoner brought us truth that she did not bring, she wrote that they brought light that we would not otherwise have had unless God had sent someone else to bring that light.

She said, to J.S. Washburn (a delegate of the 1888 GC session in Mpls.) "The Lord has given him special light on that question. I have been wanting to bring it out more clearly, but I could not have brought it out as clearly as he did. But when he brought it out at Minneapolis, I recognized it."

Also:

Quote:
When Brother Waggoner brought out these ideas in the Minneapolis Conference, it was the first clear teaching of the subject from any human lips I had heard, excepting the communication between myself and my husband. I have said to myself, it is because God has presented it to me in vision that I see it so clearly, and they (the brethren at Battle Creek) cannot see it because they have not had it presented to them as I have, and when another presented it, every fiber of my heart said Amen.—MS 5, 1889

Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: Tom] #96999
03/16/08 04:49 PM
03/16/08 04:49 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: By "prove it," I assume you mean to prove that polygamy is a sin. I'm surprised you would dispute such a thing.

MM: Have you “proved” it? If it was a sin, why did God wink at it? Where in the Bible does it say it was a sin?

---

TE: Regarding your question, you're simply reposting what I said was not clear to me what you were asking, not surprisingly, did not help. If you repost it again, that won't help either. Perhaps you could rephrase what you are trying to get at.

MM: I did rephrase it. What don’t you understand? Does God wink at the specific types of sinful behaviors in the specific types of people I’ve described?

1. In cases involving these specific types of people, does God wink at sinful behaviors which offend people, which cause them to conclude Christianity is a joke, which cause them to despise the Gospel? If so, why?

2. In cases involving these specific types of people, are they ignorant of the fact that their behavior offends people around them, that it causes them to conclude Christianity is a joke, that it causes them to despise the Gospel? If so, why?

---

TE: Regarding the fact that Jones and Waggoner brought us truth that she did not bring, she wrote that they brought light that we would not otherwise have had unless God had sent someone else to bring that light.

MM: You’ll have to do better than that, Tom. I need specific examples where J&W wrote something needful to us today that does not appear anywhere in the SOP. I am very confident I can find anything pertinent for me today in J&W in the SOP.

Page 10 of 38 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 37 38

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 07:26 PM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!