HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,609
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
7 registered members (Kevin H, Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 3,079 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 21 of 47 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 46 47
Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Mountain Man] #96831
03/13/08 03:41 AM
03/13/08 03:41 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
When we were discussing whether Lucifer had sinned before his final decision, Rosangela, found this statement:

Quote:
Before (Satan) was sentenced to banishment from Heaven, his course was with convincing clearness shown to be wrong, and he was granted an opportunity to confess his sin, and submit to God's authority as just and righteous.(4SP 319)

You responded to this statement by saying that "sin" meant something different in this case than it ordinarily means.

Ellen White's statement is clear:

Quote:
All that man needs to know or can know of God has been revealed in the life and character of His Son. (8T 286)

The statement I provided from a non-SDA, using, interestingly enough, the same logic Ellen White uses (i.e., Satan misrepresented God's character, and in so doing, led man into sin; Christ revealed the truth about God to counteract the lies of the evil one) is equally clear.

Quote:
Whereas certain false teachers of his day were depicting Christ as one aspect of the display of God's fullness, Paul insists, as we have already seen, that "the whole fullness of deity" dwells in Christ (Col 2:9). No aspect of God's fullness was withheld from the incarnation. All we can and need to know about God is found in Christ, for God fully dwells in and is revealed in Christ.(Is God to Blame? by Greg Boyd, emphasis mine)

If you choose to disagree with the statement that all we can know or need to know about God was revealed in Christ, that's your privilege.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Tom] #96848
03/13/08 04:05 PM
03/13/08 04:05 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
I believe the statement. But, what does mankind "need to know"? And, what "can" we know about God? We are obviously capable of knowing everything we need to know about God. However, you seem convinced that this statement encompasses everything there is to know about God, rather than what we "can" and "need" to know about Him. On this we disagree.

Consider the following insights:

Quote:
No truth is more clearly taught in the Bible than that God by His Holy Spirit especially directs His servants on earth in the great movements for the carrying forward of the work of salvation. Men are instruments in the hand of God, employed by Him to accomplish His purposes of grace and mercy. Each has his part to act; to each is granted a measure of light, adapted to the necessities of his time, and sufficient to enable him to perform the work which God has given him to do.

But no man, however honored of Heaven, has ever attained to a full understanding of the great plan of redemption, or even to a perfect appreciation of the divine purpose in the work for his own time. Men do not fully understand what God would accomplish by the work which He gives them to do; they do not comprehend, in all its bearings, the message which they utter in His name. {GC 343.2}

"Canst thou by searching find out God? canst thou find out the Almighty unto perfection?" "My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways My ways, saith the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts." "I am God, and there is none like Me, declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done." Job 11:7; Isaiah 55:8, 9; 46:9, 10. {GC 343.3}

Even the prophets who were favored with the special illumination of the Spirit did not fully comprehend the import of the revelations committed to them. The meaning was to be unfolded from age to age, as the people of God should need the instruction therein contained. {GC 344.1}

Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Mountain Man] #96849
03/13/08 04:07 PM
03/13/08 04:07 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
By the way, I changed my observations regarding 4SP 319. Apparently, you don't remember.

Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Mountain Man] #96873
03/14/08 01:49 AM
03/14/08 01:49 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
I believe the statement. But, what does mankind "need to know"? And, what "can" we know about God? We are obviously capable of knowing everything we need to know about God. However, you seem convinced that this statement encompasses everything there is to know about God, rather than what we "can" and "need" to know about Him. On this we disagree.

No, I don't know where you would get this idea. I've never said that all that man can know about God is all that can be known about God. That would be silly. God is infinite.

The statement says that all that *man* can know about God was revealed in Christ, not all that can be known about God.

We will be learning about God for all eternity. But everything we learn was revealed in Christ.

Pretty cool when you think about it.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Tom] #96874
03/14/08 01:53 AM
03/14/08 01:53 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
By the way, I changed my observations regarding 4SP 319. Apparently, you don't remember.

No, I wasn't aware you had changed. It seemed to me you were repeating the same thing. In what way did you change? That is, what was your view before it changed, and what is it now? Thanks for pointing this out to me.

Did you change your mind about "sin" meaning something different than we understand it to mean? If so, that's very good, because it's a lot easier to discuss topics if you don't have your own unique definitions for words.

Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Tom] #96888
03/14/08 03:37 PM
03/14/08 03:37 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: The statement says that all that *man* can know about God was revealed in Christ, not all that can be known about God.

MM: I agree. Jesus did not reveal "all that can be known about God." He only revealed what we are capable of understanding, which is what we need to know to get save and to stay saved.

TE: We will be learning about God for all eternity. But everything we learn was revealed in Christ.

MM: Again, we disagree. Because of our dullness, Jesus was unable to reveal "everything" we will ever learn about God throughout eternity. He said, "I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now."

Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Mountain Man] #96889
03/14/08 03:39 PM
03/14/08 03:39 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
1. It is impossible for finite minds fully to comprehend the character or the works of the Infinite One.

2. We can understand as much of His purposes as it is for our good to know; and beyond this we must still trust the hand that is omnipotent, the heart that is full of love.

3. The word of God, like the character of its divine Author, presents mysteries that can never be fully comprehended by finite beings.

4. The difficulty lies solely in the weakness and narrowness of the human mind.

Quote:
It is impossible for finite minds fully to comprehend the character or the works of the Infinite One. To the keenest intellect, the most highly educated mind, that holy Being must ever remain clothed in mystery. "Canst thou by searching find out God? canst thou find out the Almighty unto perfection? It is as high as heaven; what canst thou do? deeper than hell; what canst thou know?" Job 11:7, 8. {SC 105.3}

The apostle Paul exclaims, "O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are His judgments, and His ways past finding out!" Romans 11:33. But though "clouds and darkness are round about Him," "righteousness and judgment are the foundation of His throne." Psalm 97:2, R.V. We can so far comprehend His dealings with us, and the motives by which He is actuated, that we may discern boundless love and mercy united to infinite power. We can understand as much of His purposes as it is for our good to know; and beyond this we must still trust the hand that is omnipotent, the heart that is full of love. {SC 106.1}

The word of God, like the character of its divine Author, presents mysteries that can never be fully comprehended by finite beings. The entrance of sin into the world, the incarnation of Christ, regeneration, the resurrection, and many other subjects presented in the Bible, are mysteries too deep for the human mind to explain, or even fully to comprehend. But we have no reason to doubt God's word because we cannot understand the mysteries of His providence. In the natural world we are constantly surrounded with mysteries that we cannot fathom. The very humblest forms of life present a problem that the wisest of philosophers is powerless to explain. Everywhere are wonders beyond our ken. Should we then be surprised to find that in the spiritual world also there are mysteries that we cannot fathom? The difficulty lies solely in the weakness and narrowness of the human mind. God has given us in the Scriptures sufficient evidence of their divine character, and we are not to doubt His word because we cannot understand all the mysteries of His providence. {SC 106.2}

Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Mountain Man] #96906
03/14/08 05:55 PM
03/14/08 05:55 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
TE: The statement says that all that *man* can know about God was revealed in Christ, not all that can be known about God.

MM: I agree. Jesus did not reveal "all that can be known about God." He only revealed what we are capable of understanding, which is what we need to know to get save and to stay saved.

There are a couple of errors here. First of all, we are in agreement that the statement "Christ revealed all that man can know about God" does not mean that Christ revealed everything there is to know about God.

Let's call everything that can be know about God the set "U", which is infinite. We'll call the set "C" that which man can know about God. Clearly what man can know about God is finite, and we can also reasonably assume that Christ, in a finite amount of time, revealed a finite amount about God. Let's call what Christ revealed about God, the set "R".

C < R < U. Christ revealed R, so Christ revealed *more* than what man can know about God, but not as much as there is to know about God. So the first error is in saying that Christ "only" revealed what we are capable of understanding. The mistake is with the "only." That's not the case at all. That would imply that C = R, which in no way follows from the statement that C was revealed by Christ. That is, the set of what Christ revealed has a subset of C, so C is a subset of R. This follows from her statement, but not that C = R.

The second error is the idea that Christ only revealed what we need to be saved. There's a greater issue at stake than simply yours or my salvation, which is the Great Controversy. What Christ revealed settled the Great Controversy, so it was not simply enough for man to be saved, but also included the settling of issues that holy angels and unfallen men had.

Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Tom] #96910
03/14/08 06:15 PM
03/14/08 06:15 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
TE: We will be learning about God for all eternity. But everything we learn was revealed in Christ.

MM: Again, we disagree. Because of our dullness, Jesus was unable to reveal "everything" we will ever learn about God throughout eternity. He said, "I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now."

Ok, so you're interpreting the statement to mean "All that man can know about God now, in His present sinful state, was revealed by Christ's life and character." So you think there will be new things to learn about God that we have no idea what they even are now, and that Christ did not reveal. Is this what you're saying?

What I'm primarily concerned about is regarding that all that *we*, right now, can know about God was revealed in Christ's life and character, not what we in a resurrected state might be able to learn about God.

Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Tom] #96923
03/14/08 07:40 PM
03/14/08 07:40 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
U = what God knows about His kingdom and character

C = what we "can" and "need" to know about God now

R = what Jesus revealed about God while here

TE: Christ revealed R, so Christ revealed *more* than what man can know about God, but not as much as there is to know about God.

MM: Where did this assumption come from? It makes more sense to me, in light of what Jesus said, "I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now", to conclude C and R represent the same truths about God's character and kingdom.

---

TE: What Christ revealed settled the Great Controversy ....

MM: Not entirely; otherwise, heaven and earth would be celebrating over 2,000 years of life without sin or sinners.

---

TE: So you think there will be new things to learn about God that we have no idea what they even are now, and that Christ did not reveal. Is this what you're saying?

MM: I get the feeling if I simply answer, Yes, you're going to say, How can you be sure we won't learn something about God's character and kingdom we find objectionable?

With this in mind, I am reposting the following quotes:

1. It is impossible for finite minds fully to comprehend the character or the works of the Infinite One.

2. We can understand as much of His purposes as it is for our good to know; and beyond this we must still trust the hand that is omnipotent, the heart that is full of love.

3. The word of God, like the character of its divine Author, presents mysteries that can never be fully comprehended by finite beings.

4. The difficulty lies solely in the weakness and narrowness of the human mind.

Page 21 of 47 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 46 47

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Daryl. 05/01/24 07:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/29/24 04:47 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!