HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,597
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (ProdigalOne, Kevin H, Karen Y, Daryl, 1 invisible), 3,179 guests, and 19 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 13 of 38 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 37 38
Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: Tom] #97140
03/19/08 05:32 PM
03/19/08 05:32 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
 Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall

Have you read her endorsements of their message? Did you know she endorsed their message over 1,000 times? If what you asserted were true, there's simply no way she could have written what she did regarding their message.
There are 1000 unique endorsements by Ellen of J&W? Has someone made a compilation of those quotes? It seems like it would be a fairly thick book to bonk J&W's critics in the head with.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: vastergotland] #97145
03/19/08 07:37 PM
03/19/08 07:37 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Yes, someone has made a compilation of the quotes. I might be able to get it, if there's an interest.

I know of a book which has a "best of" list of endorsements.

Also, if one simply reads through the 1888 Materials that the Ellen White estate released (this is on line), one can see statement after statement urging those to whom she was writing to pay attention to the message, etc.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: vastergotland] #97191
03/22/08 04:12 PM
03/22/08 04:12 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: västergötland
Likewise, is it not so that we do not need Ellen to interpret the bible? That everything Ellen taught about it that is correct is available to us in the bible?

True. Nevertheless, Jesus thought it was necessary to give us the spirit of prophecy through Ellen White. There must have been a need, otherwise, He would not have bothered, right?

Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: Tom] #97192
03/22/08 04:15 PM
03/22/08 04:15 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
T: Regarding the understanding of it, in general, if one can teach a subject more clearly than another, one understands it better, although there can be exceptions to this. In the case of Waggoner, it is clearly simply from reading what he wrote that he had a much broader understanding of the subject than EGW had. For example, Waggoner wrote, "The Everlasting Covenant" which has nearly 400 pages in it, all on how the Gospel is present in the first 5 books of Scripture. Ellen White could not have written a book like that.

MM: That may be one of the reasons why I find J&W hard to understand - they used too many words to establish the point. The beautiful thing about the SOP is that Jesus can convey the same thought in fewer words. The Bible was written that way, too.

Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: Tom] #97193
03/22/08 04:24 PM
03/22/08 04:24 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, I agree that J&W shared important truths. But I prefer to read those same truths in the SOP. Enough said.

Show me in the Bible one place where God condemns polygamy.

Again, what about the law that required a brother to marry his brother's widow? It leads to polygamy, right?

We've deviated a long ways from my original questions - Does God wink at sinful behaviors (in the specific people I dscribed) that offend ordinary people, that cause them to conclude Christianity is a joke, that cause them to despise the Gospel?

Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: Mountain Man] #97200
03/22/08 05:08 PM
03/22/08 05:08 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
 Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Likewise, is it not so that we do not need Ellen to interpret the bible? That everything Ellen taught about it that is correct is available to us in the bible?

True. Nevertheless, Jesus thought it was necessary to give us the spirit of prophecy through Ellen White. There must have been a need, otherwise, He would not have bothered, right?
And when Tom says the same thing about J&W?

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: vastergotland] #97203
03/22/08 06:31 PM
03/22/08 06:31 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Regarding your first post, what Thomas wrote covers things fine, so I won't comment beyond noting this.

Quote:
MM: That may be one of the reasons why I find J&W hard to understand - they used too many words to establish the point. The beautiful thing about the SOP is that Jesus can convey the same thought in fewer words. The Bible was written that way, too.

We've been discussing the OC for while on a different thread. Paul says the OC is like Abraham's experience with Hagar. God gave Abraham a promise, but rather than believe His promise, Abraham tried to accomplish what God had promised by his own efforts. This is exactly what the COI did; instead of accepting the righteousness of Christ as a promise, as Abraham did, they tried to accomplish by their own efforts what God had promised, which is why Paul's choice of Hagar as representing the OC was such a good choice.

Now this is all very clear in Waggoner. Reading what Waggoner wrote, there's no doubt that this is what Scripture teaches, nor that Waggoner was saying what I just presented. But when we read the SOP, some think she is saying one thing, and some another.

Some thing she taught that Christ took our fallen nature. Some think she taught that Christ took the nature of Adam before the fall.

Some think she taught that salvation was by faith and works. Some think she taught that salvation was by faith which works.

When it comes to righteousness by faith, there are quite a number of examples that one can come up with which are similar in nature, which demonstrate clearly that Ellen White was correct in affirming that Waggoner could teach rbf more clearly than she. Indeed, one often comes across very fundamental errors (even here) that could be avoided if one had even a basic understanding of righteousness by faith.

I'm going to try again to present a thought from J$W, this time Waggoner, with which I'm sure you will agree, and which I hope will be a blessing to you.

Quote:
Let the reader pay particular attention to the fact that there is in this epistle no controversy over the law, as to whether or not it should be obeyed. No one had claimed that the law was abolished, or changed, or had lost its force. The epistle contains no hint of any such thing. The question was not if the law should be kept, but how it was to be kept.

Justification--being made righteous--was admitted to be a necessity; the question was, Is it by faith, or by works? The false brethren were persuading the Galatians that they must be made righteous by their own efforts; Paul was by the Spirit showing that all such attempts were useless, and could result only in fastening more firmly the curse upon the sinner.

Righteousness through faith in Jesus Christ is set forth to all men in all time as the only real righteousness. The false teachers made their boast in the law, but through breaking it caused the name of God to be blasphemed. Paul made his boast in Christ, and by the righteousness of the law, to which he thus submitted, caused the name of God to be glorified in him. (http://www.brooklawn.org/Books/GladTidings/GT04RedeemedfromtheCurse.htm)

This whole chapter on Galatians 3 is a great read. There's very little of what Waggoner says in this chapter in the SOP. I wish there were, because I would just quote that.

God saw there was a need for our church to have a deeper understanding of righteousness by faith. Ellen White recognized what was happening, and did her work as a prophet by identifying the message which God had sent. However, she never claimed that she herself was presenting this message.

Of course, she was not presenting error in regards to justification by faith, but she did not have the insight they did. She expressed frustration in not being able to present what she knew was true. But, although unable to present it herself, she was able to recognize it as soon as she heart it.

Quote:
I have had the question asked, "What do you think of this light that these men are presenting? Why, I have been presenting it to you for the last 45 years--the matchless charms of Christ. This is what I have been trying to present before your minds. When Brother Waggoner brought out these ideas in Minneapolis, it was the first clear teaching on this subject from any human lips I had heard, excepting the conversations between myself and my husband. I have said to myself, It is because God has presented it to me in vision that I see it so clearly, and they cannot see it because they have never had it presented to them as I have. And when another presented it, every fiber of my heart said, Amen. (1888 Mat. 348)

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: Tom] #97204
03/22/08 06:37 PM
03/22/08 06:37 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Tom, I agree that J&W shared important truths. But I prefer to read those same truths in the SOP. Enough said.

Well, I, of course, can't make you do something you are not disposed to do. I note that when she heard Waggoner's message, every fiber of her heart said, "Amen!". I wish that those who claim to believe in her writings had hearts that responded like hers.

Quote:
Show me in the Bible one place where God condemns polygamy.

I can do this, but before doing so, I'm curious. Why are you asking this?

Quote:
Again, what about the law that required a brother to marry his brother's widow? It leads to polygamy, right?

According to EGW, God never sanctioned polygamy, even once. So are you saying she's wrong?

Quote:
We've deviated a long ways from my original questions - Does God wink at sinful behaviors (in the specific people I dscribed) that offend ordinary people, that cause them to conclude Christianity is a joke, that cause them to despise the Gospel?

We haven't really deviated, because I never addressed these points. I addressed only your theory that nobody can break anything in the last 6 commandments by ignorance. It looks like, so far, you need to throw out the SOP to support your theory. Is that right? You keep asking me to show that things which contradict your theory from Scripture. Does that mean that you accept that your theory doesn't work, taking into account what the SOP has said? There's no doubt from what she wrote that polygamy was a sin, right? So, if what she wrote is true, then your theory is false. Let's agree that this is the case, and then we can consider what Scripture says.

Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: vastergotland] #97220
03/23/08 02:32 PM
03/23/08 02:32 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: Mountain Man

And when Tom says the same thing about J&W?

There is no evidence J&W had the spirit of prophecy. I doubt Tom claims J&W had the spirit of prophecy like Ellen White did, or like Moses, David, Peter, or John did.

Re: Can sinning be overcome.... [Re: Mountain Man] #97221
03/23/08 02:46 PM
03/23/08 02:46 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, you've presented polygamy as proof people can ignorantly violate the 7th commandment. You also seem to think it disproves what I've been saying about ignorance and the last 6 commandments. I agree polygamy violates the law of God. But you have yet to prove which commandment is violated. You assume it is the 7th. Where is the proof?

Again, what about the law that required a brother to marry his brother's widow? It led to polygamy, right? Is it considered "polygamy" when God ordains it? Likewise, was it considered "incest" when Adam's kids married each other?

Page 13 of 38 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 37 38

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!