HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,619
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Nadi, 2 invisible), 3,409 guests, and 22 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 55 1 2 3 4 5 6 54 55
Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #97972
04/09/08 03:32 AM
04/09/08 03:32 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
TE: I took this to mean that you believed that God revealed every sin. Is that not true? Do you really agree with what Waggoner said? If so, that's great.

MM: During the process that leads to rebirth, the Holy Spirit reveals representative sins, not every single sin they ever committed from birth. No sinful habits are overlooked to be confronted and confessed and crucified later on, after they experience the miracle of rebirth. I am, of course, applying this to known sins.

Are you saying every sinful habit, or representative sinful habits?

Quote:
TE: Regarding defective traits and tendencies, I think I agree with the concept you are trying to express, but I would express things a bit differently. I would say that our fallen, sinful nature prompts us to do things which are wrong, as it did Christ, but by faith we can overcome these temptations, as Christ did.

MM: Great. By the way, Sister White uses traits and tendencies that strive for the mastery interchangeably with fallen, sinful nature that tempts us from within to be unlike Jesus.

I think "trait" is a vaguer term than the way I expressed it. Webster's defines "trait" as a distinguishing quality. That could easily be taken to mean something having to do with our character, and, indeed, "trait" can have that meaning. However, no matter what phrase or terms one uses, fault can be found by one wishing to do so.

Quote:
MM: This is where the rubber meets the road, isn't it. What a person believes about unknown sins determines what he believes about the state of born again believers the moment they experience the miracle of rebirth.

For example, if we list certain sinful behaviors, which cause people to despise the Gospel, as unknown sins, then it is possible a person can be abiding in Jesus while at the same time unwittingly behaving in a way that causes people to conclude Christianity is a joke.

This is rather an unfortunate choice of words. Of course, no matter how one acts, it can cause some people to conclude that Christianity is a joke.

Here's an example. Let's say a person says "Gee!" not realizing this is short for "Jesus!" or "Darn!" no realizing this means "Damn!" This is a sinful habit, isn't it? But should we conclude that one is not born again because one says, "Gee!"

A construction worker, for example, who is born again would not necessarily be instantly cured of course language instantaneously. However, in time, one's speech will become like Jesus'.

A good friend of mine, a former sailor, tells a story of getting his hand caught in some machinery and having it ground. When he got his hand out, he said, to the amazement of those who witnessed it, "My that hurt!" This is a great testament to the power of God to heal, but this healing need not be instantaneous. One can be born again, and learn things in relation to their speech and acts, which is to say their behavior. However, there will be a Christ-like bearing about anyone who is Christ's. It will be evident that there is "something different."

Regarding your statement, "sins that if they die before they are discovered and crucified will not prevent them from entering the Pearly Gates?" I think this is another FOTAP thing. If a person is born again, he is ready to go to heaven, by definition. So there are no sins that need to be discovered that would prevent them from going to heaven.

This isn't even looking at things the right way. We don't get to heaven by discovering sins but by faith in Christ.

Sin estranges us from God. When we respond to God's love, especially as revealed at the cross, our hearts are melted by the Holy Spirit. We experience the miracle of being born again. The law is written in our heart. It becomes our will to do God's will. We desire to be like God, and live according to the principles of His kingdom.

Having views of God's character which would make Him Satan-like rather than Christ-like is as likely to make others conclude that "Christianity is a joke" as much some given sinful habit or behavior.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Tom] #97981
04/09/08 07:57 AM
04/09/08 07:57 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
Things that make people conclude that Christianity is a joke;

The idea that dying on a cross would have anything to do with forgiveness,
The idea that God as Father would sacrafice His Son to provide forgiveness,
The fact that the church has split into umpteen different groups who all claim to have the truth and love one another but not those of that other group of christians,
The thought that Christians acctually would believe in a god at all...

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: vastergotland] #97991
04/09/08 03:29 PM
04/09/08 03:29 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Thomas, do you have a list that includes sinful behaviors the Holy Spirit waits to reveal until born again believers are ready to confess and crucify them?

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #97992
04/09/08 03:42 PM
04/09/08 03:42 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:
So, which behaviors remain that can be added to the list of sins that -

1) born again believers,

2) who are abiding in Jesus,

3) who understand and appreciate the character of God,

4) who are experiencing faith that works by love, and

5) who are obeying and observing everything Jesus commanded,

- can commit unwittingly, that is, behaviors the Holy Spirit can wait to reveal to them until the time is right, sins that if they die before they are discovered and crucified will not prevent them from entering the Pearly Gates?

TE: Here's an example. Let's say a person says "Gee!" not realizing this is short for "Jesus!" or "Darn!" no realizing this means "Damn!" This is a sinful habit, isn't it? But should we conclude that one is not born again because one says, "Gee!"

Thank you for providing an example of a sinful habit the Holy Spirit can wait to reveal to the born again believers described above until the time is right without jeopardizing their salvation.

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #97993
04/09/08 03:54 PM
04/09/08 03:54 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: If a person is born again, he is ready to go to heaven, by definition. So there are no sins that need to be discovered that would prevent them from going to heaven. This isn't even looking at things the right way. We don't get to heaven by discovering sins but by faith in Christ.

MM: I agree. There are no unconfessed, uncrucified sins that will prevent born again believers from going to heaven. Why? Because they were revealed, confessed, and crucified in light of the cross during the process that led to rebirth.

The path to heaven includes confessing and crucifying sinful behaviors that will prevent people from entering the gates of heaven. Indeed, no one experiences genuine rebirth until these types of sins are confessed and crucified. Paul names some of them in the following passage:

Galatians
5:19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are [these]; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
5:20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
5:21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told [you] in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

John has this to say about sin:

1 John
5:16 If any man see his brother sin a sin [which is] not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it.
5:17 All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death.
5:18 We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.

There are certain sins that prevent people from entering heaven, and there are certain sins that do not lead to death. How do we determine which is which?

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #98007
04/09/08 06:02 PM
04/09/08 06:02 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
TE: If a person is born again, he is ready to go to heaven, by definition. So there are no sins that need to be discovered that would prevent them from going to heaven. This isn't even looking at things the right way. We don't get to heaven by discovering sins but by faith in Christ.

MM: I agree. There are no unconfessed, uncrucified sins that will prevent born again believers from going to heaven. Why? Because they were revealed, confessed, and crucified in light of the cross during the process that led to rebirth.

You're assuming that unconfessed, uncrucified sins are what prevent people from going to heaven. It's much simpler than that. What prevents people from going to heaven is not being right with God. If we're not right with God, we will have no desire to be in heaven. The exclusion from heaven of the wicked is voluntary with themselves.

Unconfessed, uncrucified sins are a symptom, not a cause.

Quote:
The path to heaven includes confessing and crucifying sinful behaviors that will prevent people from entering the gates of heaven.

The path to heaven includes being right with God. If there are things in our lives which are a stumbling block to us, preventing us from being right with Him, He will make us aware of these things.

Quote:
Indeed, no one experiences genuine rebirth until these types of sins are confessed and crucified. Paul names some of them in the following passage:

Galatians
5:19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are [these]; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
5:20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
5:21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told [you] in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

John has this to say about sin:

1 John
5:16 If any man see his brother sin a sin [which is] not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it.
5:17 All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death.
5:18 We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.

There are certain sins that prevent people from entering heaven, and there are certain sins that do not lead to death. How do we determine which is which?

We don't need to. This isn't the main issue. The main issue is being right with God. God knows what a person needs to know in order to be right with Him, and will bring the things to mind that a person needs to know.

The goodness of God leads to repentance. If we want to lead people to repentance, it behooves us to make known His goodness.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #98010
04/09/08 07:43 PM
04/09/08 07:43 PM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
 Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Thomas, do you have a list that includes sinful behaviors the Holy Spirit waits to reveal until born again believers are ready to confess and crucify them?
Why would I have such a list? Spending enough time meditatin on sin to write that list cannot be healthy...

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: vastergotland] #98030
04/10/08 02:34 AM
04/10/08 02:34 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Why would I have such a list? Spending enough time meditatin on sin to write that list cannot be healthy.

I've had the same type of thought in response this request, but not so eloquent.

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: vastergotland] #98045
04/10/08 02:09 PM
04/10/08 02:09 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: västergötland
 Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
Why would I have such a list? Spending enough time meditatin on sin to write that list cannot be healthy...

The fact is, though, such a list does not exist, right! If it did exist, then it would be wise to follow Paul's counsel in the following passage:

2 Corinthians
13:5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

FE 214
In order to understand your condition, it is necessary to study the Bible, and to watch unto prayer. The apostle says, "Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?" Let not those who are ignorant remain in ignorance. They cannot remain in ignorance, and meet the mind of God. {FE 214.1}

HP 131
"Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith" (2 Cor. 13:5). Some conscientious souls, on reading this, immediately begin to criticize their every feeling and emotion. But this is not correct self-examination. It is not the petty feelings and emotions that are to be examined. The life, the character, is to be measured by the only standard of character, God's holy law. The fruit testifies to the character of the tree. Our works, not our feelings, bear witness of us. {HP 131.2}

OHC 336
We do well to examine ourselves to see what manner of spirit we are cherishing. Let us learn to speak gently, quietly, even under circumstances the most trying. Let us control not only our words, but our thoughts and imaginations. Let us be kind, be courteous. {OHC 336.3}

1SM 89
"Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves" (2 Cor. 13:5). Closely criticize the temper, the disposition, the thoughts, words, inclinations, purposes, and deeds. How can we ask intelligently for the things we need unless we prove by the Scriptures the condition of our spiritual health? {1SM 89.1}

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Tom] #98046
04/10/08 02:30 PM
04/10/08 02:30 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
 Quote:
Why would I have such a list? Spending enough time meditatin on sin to write that list cannot be healthy.

I've had the same type of thought in response this request, but not so eloquent.

Tom, you are the one who has been saying the Holy Spirit doesn't reveal all of "the sins that were practiced before conversion", that He waits to reveal some of them until after they have experienced the miracle of rebirth. But that isn't what I hear the Bible or the SOP teaching. Instead, Peter describes newborn babes as those who, like Jesus, do not sin. They laid aside their former sinful habits and practices.

They put off the old man habits of sin and put on the new man of righteousness and true holiness. They are dead to sin. In Christ they are perfecting holiness. Of course, these truths are only true while they are abiding in Jesus. They are free to stop abiding in Jesus and revert back to their former sins. But so long as they are abiding in Jesus they do not and cannot commit a known sin. Here is how it is described:

1 Peter
2:1 Wherefore laying aside all malice, and all guile, and hypocrisies, and envies, and all evil speakings,
2:2 As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby:
2:3 If so be ye have tasted that the Lord [is] gracious.

1 Peter
4:1 Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind: for he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin;
4:2 That he no longer should live the rest of [his] time in the flesh to the lusts of men, but to the will of God.

SD 300
Great responsibility comes to those who have been baptized in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Strive to understand the meaning of the words, "Ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God." In the new life upon which you have entered, you are pledged to represent the life of Christ.

Having put on the new man, "which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him," "put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering; forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye. And above all these things, put on charity, which is the bond of perfectness. And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful." {SD 300.2}

The old sinful life is dead; the new life entered into with Christ by the pledge of baptism. Practise the virtues of the Saviour's character. Let His wisdom dwell in you richly in all wisdom; "teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord. And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him." . . .

The sins that were practised before conversion, are to be put off, with the old man. With the new man, Christ Jesus, are to be put on "kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering." {SD 300.3}

Page 4 of 55 1 2 3 4 5 6 54 55

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:07 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!