HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,630
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
2 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl), 2,880 guests, and 12 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 26 27
Lesson #3 - The Reality of His HUMANITY #98133
04/12/08 10:44 PM
04/12/08 10:44 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
Here is the link to the study and discussion material for this study in preparation for the April 19th Sabbath School Class discussion:

http://www.ssnet.org/qrtrly/eng/08b/less03nkjv.html

In His Love, Mercy & Grace,

Daryl smile

John 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

http://www.christians-discuss.com/forum/index.php
Reply Quote
Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Re: Lesson #3 - The Reality of His HUMANITY [Re: Daryl] #98135
04/12/08 10:47 PM
04/12/08 10:47 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
The Memory Text:

"The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us" (John 1:14, NIV).

From the Sabbath Afternoon section:
 Quote:

After beginning his Gospel with the Word who is God (John 1:1), John makes the extraordinary declaration that this same Word, this same God, "became flesh and made his dwelling among us" (vs. 14, NIV).

Daryl smile

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #3 - The Reality of His HUMANITY [Re: Daryl] #98136
04/12/08 10:49 PM
04/12/08 10:49 PM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
And then there is this statement in the Sabbath Afternoon section:
 Quote:

And perhaps anticipating future concerns about moral contamination, the New Testament maintains the sinless life of Jesus with unequivocal consistency (Heb. 7:26, 1 Pet. 2:22).

This will probably be covered later on in the lesson study material.

Daryl smile

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #3 - The Reality of His HUMANITY [Re: Daryl] #98137
04/13/08 12:52 AM
04/13/08 12:52 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I'm teaching the lesson for the teens, so do not have the adult lesson. I wonder how the human nature of Christ is treated. Probably with egg shells. It's astounding to me that this question is one which causes disagreement in our church.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #3 - The Reality of His HUMANITY [Re: Tom] #98139
04/13/08 01:22 AM
04/13/08 01:22 AM
Daryl  Online Canadian
OP
Site Administrator
23000+ Member
Nova Scotia, Canada
The link to the study material is the adult lesson. \:\)

Tuesday's is titled He Took Our Nature (Gal. 4:4).

Daryl smile

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #3 - The Reality of His HUMANITY [Re: Tom] #98141
04/13/08 05:26 PM
04/13/08 05:26 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
I'm teaching the lesson for the teens, so do not have the adult lesson. I wonder how the human nature of Christ is treated. Probably with egg shells. It's astounding to me that this question is one which causes disagreement in our church.

I read through it a couple of weeks ago. The controversial stuff is not addressed at all.

I don't think the disagreement is really about Christ's nature. I think the essence of the disagreement is in hamartiology.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #3 - The Reality of His HUMANITY [Re: asygo] #98143
04/13/08 06:44 PM
04/13/08 06:44 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Well, there can be more than one set of disagreements. I've very interested in your thoughts here, Arnold. Please explain.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #3 - The Reality of His HUMANITY [Re: Tom] #98153
04/13/08 11:37 PM
04/13/08 11:37 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Without going into too much detail at this time....

Everyone is pretty much agreed that Jesus came in the flesh, and that He did not sin. The point of difference is the precise definition of sin, because I think everyone believes Jesus was to the sinless side of that point by an infinitesimal amount.

So, for those who believe that inherent propensities to sin do not count as sin, they believe that Jesus had those propensities. Those who believe that such propensities are sin do not believe Jesus had them.

There are those who believe selfishness is not sin, as long as you do not perform selfish acts. Such people can believe that Jesus had selfishness, but He did not act on them. Those who believe that selfishness, acted out or not, is inherently sinful do not believe Jesus had selfishness.

When you do something against the law, but you did not know it was against the law, is that sin? IOW, is volition a necessary ingredient of sin? That's another dividing line.

There are many individual points of contention. But as I see it, the general problem is that there is no agreement on a precise definition of sin.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #3 - The Reality of His HUMANITY [Re: asygo] #98158
04/14/08 04:10 AM
04/14/08 04:10 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
The point of difference is the precise definition of sin, because I think everyone believes Jesus was to the sinless side of that point by an infinitesimal amount.

Is this really what you meant to say? "Infinitesimal" means by an amount infinitely small, which is to say, an amount so small that no smaller amount could be found.

Quote:
So, for those who believe that inherent propensities to sin do not count as sin, they believe that Jesus had those propensities.

As the SOP uses the word "propensities," actually participation in sin is implied, so I don't think anyone on either side of the question believes that Christ had these propensities. For example, the Baker letter states:

Quote:
Be careful, exceedingly careful as to how you dwell upon the human nature of Christ. Do not set Him before the people as a man with the propensities of sin.

Quote:
There are those who believe selfishness is not sin, as long as you do not perform selfish acts. Such people can believe that Jesus had selfishness, but He did not act on them.

I don't know anyone who believes this either, that is, that Jesus Christ had selfishness. Keeping with the usage the SOP uses with an analagous term, "sinlessness," one could not say that Christ "had" selfishness, as this would imply He was selfish.

To explain further, from the SOP we read:

Quote:
We should have no misgivings in regard to the perfect sinlessness of the human nature of Christ. (5 SDABC 1131)

She also wrote:

Quote:
He took upon His sinless nature our sinful nature, that He might know how to succor those that are tempted. (MM 181)

So she wrote that Christ took our sinful nature (she never says Christ took a sinless human nature), but we should have no misgivings in regard to the sinlessness of that sinful human nature. Now that sounds like an oxymoron, or a contradiction, but it's not, as one considers how she uses these terms.

Quote:
In taking upon Himself man's nature in its fallen condition, Christ did not in the least participate in its sin. He was subject to the infirmities and weaknesses by which man is encompassed, "that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Esaias the prophet, saying, Himself took our infirmities, and bare our sicknesses." He was touched with the feeling of our infirmities, and was in all points tempted like as we are. (5 SDABC 1131)

Christ took our nature in its fallen condition, but did not least

participate in its sin. Since she also writes

Quote:
[T]he flesh of itself cannot act contrary to the will of God.(AH 127)

it seems evident that what she means is that Christ, while taking fallen, or sinful, human nature never acted contrary to the will of God, even though He took such a nature.

Getting back to how she uses the word "sinlessness," she uses that in relation to actual participation in sin. Christ never participated in sin. Again:

Quote:
His life of sinlessness, lived on this earth in human nature, is a complete refutation of Satan's charge against the character of God. (ST 12/20/05)

The following statement makes it clear that the sinless being spoken of is not in regards to the human nature we inherit:

Quote:
Those only who through faith in Christ obey all of God's commandments will reach the condition of sinlessness in which Adam lived before his transgression. (MS 122, 1901)

There are those who by faith in Christ will reach the condition of sinlessness in which Adam lived before his transgression, but their sinful, inherited human nature will not be changed, until corruption is changed into incorruption at Christ's Second Coming.

So we see that the "ness" at the end of the word implies participation in acts of righteousness, when attached to "sinless," and is not a static characteristic of an inherited nature. Similarly "selfishness" would imply, at least in terms of how Ellen White wrote, a participation in selfish acts, which, of course, we could not ascribe to Christ. So one could not say, in harmony with EGW's usage, that Christ "had selfishness," but I suppose one could say that Christ took a "selfish human nature," since she used terms like "sinful" "fallen" and "degraded" in reference to the human nature which Christ took, or inherited.

It may be that someone (like Denis Priebe has been accused of saying) may believe that Christ "had selfishness," but I would disagree with this statement, at least in terms of how EGW uses similar language, and this statement, which is just a statement by one human being, is by no means typical of those who believe the position that our church articulated regarding the human nature of Christ until at least 1947 was correct.

I believe one of the most significant things Ellen White wrote on this subject is the following:

Quote:
Letters have been coming in to me, affirming that Christ could not have had the same nature as man, for if He had, He would have fallen under similar temptations. If He did not have man's nature, He could not be our example. If He was not a partaker of our nature, He could not have been tempted as man has been. If it were not possible for Him to yield to temptation, He could not be our helper. It was a solemn reality that Christ came to fight the battles as man, in man's behalf. His temptation and victory tell us that humanity must copy the Pattern; man must become a partaker of the divine nature. (5 SDABC 1082)

What makes this statement so significant is its context. She had been preaching with Jones and Waggoner, the three of them preaching righteousness by faith together, and questions had been coming up in regards to what was being taught regarding Christ's human nature. Christ's human nature was a part of the 1888 message which Jones and Waggoner taught, and here we see EGW preaching along with them and defending the position which they presented.

I don't think the question of the precise meaning of sin is so much the question as so much the nature of Christ's flesh, in particular, in relation to Christ's temptations. For example, I myself would not define sin as being limited to the volitional definition, yet I believe that Christ took our fallen, sinful human nature.

In regards to temptation, our heredity enters into our temptation. We have tendencies to sin which were inherited from our ancestors. Did Christ share in such a heredity as we have? Did he inherit tendencies to sin from His ancestors? Did His heredity enter into His temptations as our heredity enters into ours? This is where I think the real question lies.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #3 - The Reality of His HUMANITY [Re: Tom] #98162
04/14/08 05:12 AM
04/14/08 05:12 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Tom,

I'm trying very hard not to revive this controversy at this time, because I am very short on time these days. But you're making it very hard. ;\)

Just a quickie this time.

Quote:
As the SOP uses the word "propensities," actually participation in sin is implied

I disagree. "Propensity" does not imply participation, but a tendency.

Quote:
Because of sin his posterity was born with inherent propensities of disobedience. {7ABC 447.4}

Surely, we cannot be born having already participated in sin.

That is, unless we accept that vicarious/imputed sin counts. If so, then with only Jesus as the exception, all have sinned (aorist tense) and fall short of the glory of God. But that is usually anathema to postlapsarians.

1. Bent of mind, natural or acquired; inclination; in a moral sense; disposition to any thing good or evil, particularly to evil; as a propensity to sin; the corrupt propensity of the will.

2. Natural tendency; as the propension of bodies to a particular place.

That's from the 1828 Webster's dictionary. Note that there is no mention of participation, but only tendencies and inclinations.

In all the years I've heard it claimed that EGW used "propensity" to denote actual participation in sin, I have not seen one contemporary reference that uses it that way.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Reply Quote
Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 26 27
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!