HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,630
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
2 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl), 2,885 guests, and 12 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 25 of 27 1 2 23 24 25 26 27
Re: Lesson #3 - The Reality of His HUMANITY [Re: Mountain Man] #99633
05/25/08 03:17 PM
05/25/08 03:17 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Regarding memory and remembrance, when Scripture says that God remembers our sins no more, that does not mean that His memory has somehow become faulty, but it means He does not think about them; they've been forgiven. Similarly, when the 144,000 are seeking to bring sins to mind to confess, it's not that they forget a big chunk of their lives, and can't remember any sins they have committed, but they can think of no sins they have not confessed.

The reason they are concerned with this is not for their own sake, they are not selfishly being motivated by fear of their own status, but they are concerned for the honor and glory of Christ.

Quote:
Though God's people will be surrounded by enemies who are bent upon their destruction, yet the anguish which they suffer is not a dread of persecution for the truth's sake; they fear that every sin has not been repented of, and that through some fault in themselves they will fail to realize the fulfillment of the Saviour's promise: I "will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world." Revelation 3:10. If they could have the assurance of pardon they would not shrink from torture or death; but should they prove unworthy, and lose their lives because of their own defects of character, then God's holy name would be reproached.(GC 619)

Their concern is over God's holy name.

Nothing can be solved by altering one's memory. If it were possible to solve the sin problem this way, God could simply have altered Lucifer's memory and purged any feelings of resentment and resistance he had in regards to Christ, and then the rebellion would not have taken place.

Our memories are tied into to us. It's not possible to remove our memories without fundamentally altering our identities. God transforms us not by altering our memories, but by sanctifying our thinking and decision making.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Re: Lesson #3 - The Reality of His HUMANITY [Re: Mountain Man] #99643
05/25/08 07:03 PM
05/25/08 07:03 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
Rosangela, you wrote, "The lusts of the flesh involve indulgence in sin - they are perverted appetites, wrong habits, you cherish." Don't you think the "lusts of the flesh" are internal foes we must learn to recognize and resist as unholy desires and affections? They become character if we repeatedly cherish or act them out, right?

Mike,

Maybe, but they are sinful habits. You cannot be born with them.

"Every perverted appetite becomes a warring lust. Appetite was given us for a good purpose, not to become the minister of death by being perverted, and thus degenerating into "lusts, which war against the soul." Peter's admonition is a most direct and forcible warning against the use of all stimulants and narcotics. These indulgences may well be classed among the lusts that exert a pernicious influence upon moral character." {Mar 81.1}

"Every depraved appetite becomes a warring lust. Everything that conflicts with natural law creates a diseased condition of the soul." {RC 144.5}

"You carry with you the testimony that you are a slave to the habit of tea drinking. This is the lust that wars against the soul, stupefying the perceptive faculties." {21MR 39.1}

"But men's natural appetites have been perverted by indulgence. Through unholy gratification they have become 'fleshly lusts, which war against the soul.' Unless the Christian watches unto prayer, he gives loose rein to habits which should be overcome. Unless he feels the need of constant watching, ceaseless vigilance, his inclinations, abused and misguided, will be the means of his backsliding from God." {14MR 295.1}

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #3 - The Reality of His HUMANITY [Re: Tom] #99644
05/25/08 07:23 PM
05/25/08 07:23 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
Our memories are tied into to us. It's not possible to remove our memories without fundamentally altering our identities. God transforms us not by altering our memories, but by sanctifying our thinking and decision making.

I don't think sordid details of sins must be remembered in the new earth. A murderer may remember that he killed someone, but he doesn't need to remember the details as to how he did it.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #3 - The Reality of His HUMANITY [Re: Rosangela] #99646
05/25/08 07:29 PM
05/25/08 07:29 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
I don't think sordid details of sins must be remembered in the new earth. A murderer may remember that he killed someone, but he doesn't need to remember the details as to how he did it.

Let's consider the case of Peter's denying Christ. Will he remember this?

Also, the 144,000 were being brought up. The idea seems to be that God will cause them to have selective amnesia, so that they can't remember any sins they have committed. This raises many questions, a number of which I brought up previously, so I won't repeat them here. A more reasonable interpretation, it seems clear to me, is that they cannot remember any sins which have not been confessed, that would be a mark against God's holy name.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #3 - The Reality of His HUMANITY [Re: Rosangela] #99662
05/26/08 03:54 PM
05/26/08 03:54 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: Rosangela
 Quote:
Rosangela, you wrote, "The lusts of the flesh involve indulgence in sin - they are perverted appetites, wrong habits, you cherish." Don't you think the "lusts of the flesh" are internal foes we must learn to recognize and resist as unholy desires and affections? They become character if we repeatedly cherish or act them out, right?

Mike,

Maybe, but they are sinful habits. You cannot be born with them.

"Every perverted appetite becomes a warring lust. Appetite was given us for a good purpose, not to become the minister of death by being perverted, and thus degenerating into "lusts, which war against the soul." Peter's admonition is a most direct and forcible warning against the use of all stimulants and narcotics. These indulgences may well be classed among the lusts that exert a pernicious influence upon moral character." {Mar 81.1}

"Every depraved appetite becomes a warring lust. Everything that conflicts with natural law creates a diseased condition of the soul." {RC 144.5}

"You carry with you the testimony that you are a slave to the habit of tea drinking. This is the lust that wars against the soul, stupefying the perceptive faculties." {21MR 39.1}

"But men's natural appetites have been perverted by indulgence. Through unholy gratification they have become 'fleshly lusts, which war against the soul.' Unless the Christian watches unto prayer, he gives loose rein to habits which should be overcome. Unless he feels the need of constant watching, ceaseless vigilance, his inclinations, abused and misguided, will be the means of his backsliding from God." {14MR 295.1}

R: Maybe, but [the lusts of the flesh] are sinful habits. You cannot be born with them.

MM: Are we born again with them? Isn't Sister White saying in the following quote that the lusts of the flesh tempt us from within to indulge perverted appetites and passions?

1. If so, what is the origin of these types of internally generated temptations?

2. How do we become consciously aware of the fact we are being tempted from within to indulge perverted appetites and passions?

3. Do they originate in the flesh body or in the flesh mind?

4. Or, do they originate outside of us while we are abiding in Jesus? That is, can we be tempted from within while abiding in Jesus?

CC 248
In the experience of Daniel and his companions we have an instance of the triumph of principle over temptation to indulge the appetite. It shows us that through religious principle young men may triumph over the lusts of the flesh, and remain true to God's requirements, even though it costs them a great sacrifice. {CC 248.2}

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #3 - The Reality of His HUMANITY [Re: Tom] #99663
05/26/08 04:04 PM
05/26/08 04:04 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
Regarding memory and remembrance, when Scripture says that God remembers our sins no more, that does not mean that His memory has somehow become faulty, but it means He does not think about them; they've been forgiven. Similarly, when the 144,000 are seeking to bring sins to mind to confess, it's not that they forget a big chunk of their lives, and can't remember any sins they have committed, but they can think of no sins they have not confessed.

The reason they are concerned with this is not for their own sake, they are not selfishly being motivated by fear of their own status, but they are concerned for the honor and glory of Christ.

Quote:
Though God's people will be surrounded by enemies who are bent upon their destruction, yet the anguish which they suffer is not a dread of persecution for the truth's sake; they fear that every sin has not been repented of, and that through some fault in themselves they will fail to realize the fulfillment of the Saviour's promise: I "will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world." Revelation 3:10. If they could have the assurance of pardon they would not shrink from torture or death; but should they prove unworthy, and lose their lives because of their own defects of character, then God's holy name would be reproached.(GC 619)

Their concern is over God's holy name.

Nothing can be solved by altering one's memory. If it were possible to solve the sin problem this way, God could simply have altered Lucifer's memory and purged any feelings of resentment and resistance he had in regards to Christ, and then the rebellion would not have taken place.

A more reasonable interpretation, it seems clear to me, is that they cannot remember any sins which have not been confessed, that would be a mark against God's holy name.

Tom, isn't it true God can do anything and everything so long as it doesn't violate the principles of kingdom and character? If so, aren't you assuming God is incapable of erasing or deleting certain things from His memory? What makes you think God cannot do this? Do you have a quote in mind? If so, please post it. Otherwise, please do not argue against a plainly worded passage as if your view of God's abilities or inabilities is universally true.

The quotes posted above clearly say they cannot recall the sins they committed. Try as they might, they cannot remember the details. Satan even tries to remind them, to throw them in their face, but they are unable to recall the specifics. She spells it out so clearly that it is impossible to misunderstand the meaning.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #3 - The Reality of His HUMANITY [Re: Mountain Man] #99669
05/26/08 06:40 PM
05/26/08 06:40 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Tom, isn't it true God can do anything and everything so long as it doesn't violate the principles of kingdom and character?

Altering our memories would certainly be violating the principles of His kingdom and character.

Quote:
If so, aren't you assuming God is incapable of erasing or deleting certain things from His memory? What makes you think God cannot do this? Do you have a quote in mind? If so, please post it. Otherwise, please do not argue against a plainly worded passage as if your view of God's abilities or inabilities is universally true.

The quotes posted above clearly say they cannot recall the sins they committed. Try as they might, they cannot remember the details.

No, it doesn't say this. That is, it does not say, "Try as they might, they cannot remember the details."

Quote:
Satan even tries to remind them, to throw them in their face, but they are unable to recall the specifics. She spells it out so clearly that it is impossible to misunderstand the meaning.

No, she doesn't say this at all. You're reading into what she wrote ideas you have.

The Scriptures say:

Quote:
I will remember your sins no more.(Jer. 31:34)

Now you wouldn't say that God has a faulty memory, would you? Yet this is what the Scriptures "plainly state."

MM, you are not consistent in your interpretations of inspiration. Sometimes you insist that things things be taken a certain way because this is what it "plainly states," yet in other places where it states these things just as plainly, you don't interpret things the same way. For example, when God says "I will remember your sins no more" you don't see this as meaning that God's memory has been altered, do you? Or maybe you do. I'll guess I'll stop here and wait for your response. When God says, "I will remember your sins no more" do you think this means His memory has been altered?

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #3 - The Reality of His HUMANITY [Re: Mountain Man] #99675
05/26/08 10:26 PM
05/26/08 10:26 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
MM: Are we born again with them? Isn't Sister White saying in the following quote that the lusts of the flesh tempt us from within to indulge perverted appetites and passions?

Ellen White is speaking about Daniel. As I see it, Daniel wouldn’t really have desired to eat pork and drink wine, as he had never done this. He might have missed clean meats to some degree, if they had been part of his diet up to that moment (which is probable). What do you think might have been the lusts of the flesh which tempted him “from within” to indulge perverted appetites and passions?
As I see it, a “lust of the flesh” is simply any act of intemperance (which implies participation in sin). That’s why Peter warns us to abstain from them. You cannot abstain from a desire or need, but from a wrong satisfaction of that desire or need.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #3 - The Reality of His HUMANITY [Re: Rosangela] #99685
05/27/08 04:22 PM
05/27/08 04:22 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: Altering our memories would certainly be violating the principles of His kingdom and character.

MM: Perhaps altering them would, but erasing them wouldn't, not any more than changing our bodies in an twinkling of an eye. God is promising to blot out our memory of specific sins and to change our body. If we comply with the conditions, seeking earnestly to experience them, it is not a violation of principle.

---

TE: When God says, "I will remember your sins no more" do you think this means His memory has been altered?

MM: I believe God is capable of anything and everything. He can do all things. Since He says He will not remember our sins I believe Him. Does it mean He will forget them or lose the ability to remember them? I doubt it. But I do believe God possesses the power to delete certain things from His memory. I do not doubt it even for a second.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #3 - The Reality of His HUMANITY [Re: Rosangela] #99687
05/27/08 05:15 PM
05/27/08 05:15 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: Rosangela
 Quote:

Ellen White is speaking about Daniel. As I see it, Daniel wouldn’t really have desired to eat pork and drink wine, as he had never done this. He might have missed clean meats to some degree, if they had been part of his diet up to that moment (which is probable). What do you think might have been the lusts of the flesh which tempted him “from within” to indulge perverted appetites and passions?
As I see it, a “lust of the flesh” is simply any act of intemperance (which implies participation in sin). That’s why Peter warns us to abstain from them. You cannot abstain from a desire or need, but from a wrong satisfaction of that desire or need.

Actually, I believe Daniel was like everyone else in that he had to resist the clamorings of unholy flesh in the same way, and for the reasons, Paul did.

TDG 277
Paul was in such constant dread, lest his evil propensities should get the better of him, that he was constantly battling, with firm resistance, unruly appetites and passions. (TDG 277)

The "lusts of the flesh", therefore, are sinful desires and affections we must recognize and resist as temptations. Above you wrote, "You cannot abstain from a desire or need, but from a wrong satisfaction of that desire or need." Desiring something wrong is a sin, too, right? We call it covetousness. So, abstaining from unholy desires means resisting them. It is not a sin to be tempted to be covetous. Which forces us to ask - What is the origin of covetousness, of tempting unholy desires?

You also asked, "What do you think might have been the lusts of the flesh which tempted him “from within” to indulge perverted appetites and passions?" I believe it was his sinful flesh body, which I believe is the origin and source of all internally generated temptations. Again, if evil angels were dead and gone, sinful flesh would remain to tempt and annoy us.

The following quote, from AH 127, explains the dynamics nicely. Taking it point by point, do you agree with me that ...

1. "The lower passions have their seat in the body and work through it." Whatever our lower passions are, they originate in the body and work through it. "Work through it" means our lower passions work through the faculties of our body to generate and to communicate unholy thoughts and feelings.

2. "The words "flesh" or "fleshly" or "carnal lusts" embrace the lower, corrupt nature; the flesh of itself cannot act contrary to the will of God." The flesh cannot act out its unholy lusts and affections. It can only tempt us to act them out. The flesh cannot be guilty of covetousness. Yes, it is sinful, but it cannot commit a sin.

3. "We are commanded to crucify the flesh, with the affections and lusts. How shall we do it? Shall we inflict pain on the body? No; but put to death the temptation to sin." The flesh generates lusts and affections and communicates them to our conscious new man mind. The lusts and affections of the flesh constitute internal temptations. In order to crucify them, we are commanded to abstain from them, to resist them.

4. "The corrupt thought is to be expelled. Every thought is to be brought into captivity to Jesus Christ." Again, the flesh generates lusts and affections and communicates them to our conscious new man mind. We become aware of them as unholy thoughts and feelings. Initially, they are temptations. We are not guilty of them until we cherish them or act them out.

5. "All animal propensities are to be subjected to the higher powers of the soul. The love of God must reign supreme; Christ must occupy an undivided throne. Our bodies are to be regarded as His purchased possession. The members of the body are to become the instruments of righteousness." The following terms are synonymous: lower passions, flesh, fleshly, carnal lusts, animal propensities, and the lower, corrupt nature. This aspect of human nature wars against the Spirit and mind of the new man. It seeks to enslave us, to rule over us as lord and master. It craves and clamors for sinful expression. It can communicate sinful thoughts and feelings, but it cannot commit a sin. In Christ, we are empowered from above and from within to use our higher powers to rule our lower powers, to act out our innocent and legitimate appetites and passions in holy and harmless ways in accordance with God's will.

Reply Quote
Page 25 of 27 1 2 23 24 25 26 27
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!