HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,629
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, Nadi, 2 invisible), 2,967 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 27 1 2 3 4 5 26 27
Re: Lesson #3 - The Reality of His HUMANITY [Re: Rosangela] #98293
04/17/08 05:56 PM
04/17/08 05:56 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
That’s the point. “Sinful” as Ellen White uses it, doesn’t necessarily connote an inclination towards sin (although it may do so), but “selfish” must connote an inclination towards selfishness.

The phrase "sinful human nature" includes the idea of having tendencies to sin. If you exclude Ellen White from the conversation (since her meaning is in dispute) I can think of no one, either Adventist or non-Adventist, who, at the time that Ellen White wrote, used the phrase "sinful human nature" to mean something other than the nature that we obtain through heredity that includes tendencies to sin. Can you cite even one example of someone, either Adventist or not, using the phrase "sinful human being" with it not having this meaning?

Quote:
"How fully did Christ share our common humanity?" by stating: "In His humanity Christ partook of our sinful, fallen nature. If not, then He was not ‘made like unto His brethren,’ was not ‘in all points tempted like as we are,’ did not overcome as we have to overcome, and is not, therefore the complete and perfect Saviour man needs and must have to be saved. The idea that Christ was born of an immaculate or sinless mother, inherited no tendencies to sin, and for this reason did not sin, removes Him from the realm of a fallen world, and from the very place where help is needed. On His human side, Christ inherited just what every child of Adam inherits,—a sinful nature. On the divine side, from His very conception He was begotten and born of the Spirit. And all this was done to place mankind on vantage-ground, and to demonstrate that in the same way every one who is ‘born of the Spirit’ may gain like victories over sin in his own sinful flesh. Thus each one is to overcome as Christ overcame. Revelation 3:21. Without this birth there can be no victory over temptation, and no salvation from sin. John 3:3-7."2

This is typical usage. "Typical" isn't strong enough. This is the usage of the phrase. "Sinful human nature" = "a nature with tendencies to sin." If you dispute this, I would again ask that you produce some counter-example by anyone, SDA or not, contemporary to Ellen White, who used this term in some other way.

Quote:
This is exactly what I’m saying. Sorrow, weariness, hunger and thirst are effects of sin (both physical and mental). As I see it, this is what Ellen White classifies as the likeness of sinful flesh.

But tendencies to sin, passed on by heredity, are also effects of sin. These would have to be included, or else Christ would not have followed the "great law of heredity."

Quote:
I’m not going to discuss this again, but of course this is in complete disagreement with the Baker letter.

No, it's not. It's in disagreement with your interpretation of the Baker letter. The interpretation of the Baker letter is disputed. It's a private letter to someone who was teaching something, we know not what. EGW said if we wish to know her position on a subject, we should consult her *published* works. The counsel was given for a good reason. Because we do not know the specifics behind the counsel given in a private letter, we are liable to jump to wrong conclusions.

If it were EGW's purpose to correct the view of Christ's human nature that Jones and Waggoner taught, it's hardly a credible theory that she would do so be remaining silent about it while she preached side by side with Jones and Waggoner, while they preached this subject. She wrote this in 1895, if I recall correctly. This was during a time when Christ's taking our human nature was being preaches as strongly as ever! In fact, she endorsed a sermon by W. W. Prescott, on the theme of Christ's taking our sinful human nature, called "The Word Made Flesh," as I recall, where Prescott made this point over 30 times. She would hardly endorse a specific sermon on this subject, on the one hand, and then write a private letter condemning the very thing she was endorsing.

The big problem I see in the theories of interpretation you are suggesting in regards to Ellen White on this subject is that they simply are not historically credible.

Quote:
Besides, tendencies to sin are in our spiritual nature, and Ellen White says clearly that “His [Christ’s] spiritual nature was free from every taint of sin.” {11MR 345.4}

Tendencies to sin are both in our spiritual nature and in our flesh, which is to say that we receive tendencies to sin both genetically and by means of sinning. Christ never sinned, so He never developed any tendencies in this way, but His human nature, as far as the law of heredity is concerned, was "identical to our own."

Quote:
Christ didn’t have a human father.

Yes, but He had a human mother, with a sinful human nature. She was not immaculately conceive. (The quote from Bible Readings for the Home addresses this)

Quote:
Are inherited tendencies to sin different from inherited sinful propensities????

She never speaks of "inherited sinful propensities."

Quote:
As the Baker letter shows, propensities are something one is born with.

She never uses the phrase "sinful propensities" to mean anything other than propensities developed by sinning. Never. Every example of the phrase "sinful propensities" is as I cited.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Re: Lesson #3 - The Reality of His HUMANITY [Re: Rosangela] #98294
04/17/08 06:00 PM
04/17/08 06:00 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
The idea that Jesus is spiritually like Adam before the fall and physically like us prevents Him from fulfilling one of the reasons He became a man, namely, to demonstrate how born again sinners can obey the law perfectly.

His purpose was not that.

There are statements which say that it was.

Quote:
"Christ came to the earth, taking humanity and standing as man's representative, to show in the controversy with Satan that he was a liar, and that man, as God created him, connected with the Father and the Son, could obey every requirement of God." {16MR 115.2}

Of course, Christ's proving that the law can be kept by human beings with fallen natures simultaneously proves that keeping the law for man, as created, was also possible.

If MM does not produce some statement showing that Christ took our fallen nature to show that fallen man can keep the law, I'll produce something when I get home tonight.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #3 - The Reality of His HUMANITY [Re: Tom] #98302
04/17/08 07:19 PM
04/17/08 07:19 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
The phrase "sinful human nature" includes the idea of having tendencies to sin.

Then you should be able to produce at least one EGW statement which says that Christ had propensities, tendencies, or inclinations to sin, or a bent to sin, or anything else in this direction.
Coming back to my original point. One can inherit physical tendencies to sin, like a tendency to drink, or to smoke. But when you speak of a tendency to selfishness, you are automatically referring to the mind. Do you think Christ had selfish tendencies in His mind?
(By the way, in my first post I didn't have the intention of reviving this discussion, but just of having two points clarified. This was one of them. The other was about Christ's temptations.)

Quote:
But tendencies to sin, passed on by heredity, are also effects of sin.

Well, sickness is also an effect of sin, but Christ never got sick. Sinful acts are also an effect of sin, but Christ never sinned.

Quote:
The interpretation of the Baker letter is disputed.

It’s very clear. In fact, I don't see how it can be disputed.

Quote:
Tendencies to sin are both in our spiritual nature and in our flesh, which is to say that we receive tendencies to sin both genetically and by means of sinning.

Are you affirming that only acquired tendencies to sin have to do with our spiritual nature?

Quote:
R: Christ didn’t have a human father.
T: Yes, but He had a human mother, with a sinful human nature. She was not immaculately conceive.

It takes two sets of chromosomes to form a new human being. During meiosis, the matching chromosomes of father and mother can exchange small parts of themselves (crossover), and thus create new chromosomes that are not inherited solely from either parent.(Wiki) We don't know how sinful tendencies are transmitted, nor how things happened in Christ's case, so this argument of heredity is questionable, in my opinion.

Quote:
She never uses the phrase "sinful propensities" to mean anything other than propensities developed by sinning. Never.

“Be careful, exceedingly careful as to how you dwell upon the human nature of Christ. Do not set Him before the people as a man with the propensities of sin. He is the second Adam. The first Adam was created a pure, sinless being, without a taint of sin upon him; he was in the image of God. He could fall, and he did fall through transgressing. Because of sin, his posterity was born with inherent propensities of disobedience. But Jesus Christ was the only begotten Son of God. He took upon Himself human nature, and was tempted in all points as human nature is tempted. He could have sinned; He could have fallen, but not for one moment was there in Him an evil propensity. He was assailed with temptations in the wilderness, as Adam was assailed with temptations in Eden.” {13MR 18.1}

It’s clear to me that “propensities of sin,” “propensities of disobedience” and “evil propensity” are all synonyms here. Are you affirming that “propensities of disobedience,” with which we are born, are different from “sinful propensities”?

Another thing to be pointed out is that she says in this quote that Adam was created "without a taint of sin upon him," but his posterity was born with inherent propensities of disobedience. But, about Christ, she says that "He was born without a taint of sin, but came into the world in like manner as the human family." {5MR 115.1}

Quote:
If MM does not produce some statement showing that Christ took our fallen nature to show that fallen man can keep the law, I'll produce something when I get home tonight.

OK, I’ll wait till either of you produces the quotes.

Last edited by Rosangela; 04/17/08 08:02 PM.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #3 - The Reality of His HUMANITY [Re: Rosangela] #98308
04/17/08 09:40 PM
04/17/08 09:40 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Then you should be able to produce at least one EGW statement which says that Christ had propensities, tendencies, or inclinations to sin, or a bent to sin, or anything else in this direction.

I asked you to cite anyone, other than Ellen White, who used the phrase "sinful human nature" in a way that does not include "tendencies to sin." You haven't done so.

If everybody used the term "sinful human nature" or "sinful flesh" with the meaning that Christ inherited tendencies to sin, it's unreasonable to suppose that Ellen White had her own private dictionary where a phrase that meant one thing to everybody else meant something different to only her (and those smart enough to figure out her secret meaning half a century after she died).

Quote:
Coming back to my original point. One can inherit physical tendencies to sin, like a tendency to drink, or to smoke. But when you speak of a tendency to selfishness, you are automatically referring to the mind. Do you think Christ had selfish tendencies in His mind?

It's difficult for me to answer your question as stated, so I'll answer what you're getting at in another way, and if that's not sufficient, you can revisit this. Christ had to deny Himself, just like we do. Although He developed no sinful tendencies (as He never sinned), He nevertheless took our sinful nature upon His own sinless nature, which sinful nature pressed against Him, as it does us, requiring that He deny Himself, just as it requires that we deny ourself, in order to do God's will as opposed to the will of self.

In other words, He had a will, or self, that had to be denied, just as we do. Unlike us, He perfectly denied Himself, so that He could say, "I do always those things which please Him."

Quote:
Well, sickness is also an effect of sin, but Christ never got sick.

He never got selfish either.

Quote:
Sinful acts are also an effect of sin, but Christ never sinned.

Yes, sure. I don't know what this point is.

Quote:
It’s very clear. In fact, I don't see how it can be disputed.

It's not at all clear. I'm amazed you could say this with a straight face (of course, I can't see your face; maybe you were winking). I can hardly think of anything *more* disputed than the Baker letter.

It would hardly be like Ellen White to address privately such a public issue. That is, if Baker were presenting what Jones and Waggoner were presenting, then it makes no sense that Ellen White would send off a private letter to someone virtually no one knew, rather than address the issue with Jones and Waggoner, whom virtually everybody knew.

This is what I find to be the weakest point in your interpretations. It doesn't take into account the historical reality of the situation.

For example, when the Holy Flesh movement was being confronted, Stephen Haskell wrote the following to Ellen White:

Quote:

It is the greatest mixture of fanaticism in the truth that I ever have seen. I would not claim that we managed it the best way in everything, and yet I do not know where I made any mistake. We tried to do the very best we could, and had they not have talked against us and misrepresented our position, there would have been no confusion with the people. But when we stated that we believed that Christ was born in fallen humanity, they would represent us as believing that Christ sinned, notwithstanding the fact that we would state our position so clearly that it would seem as though no one could misunderstand us.

Their point of theology in this particular respect seems to be this: They believe that Christ took Adam’s nature before He fell; so He took humanity as it was in the garden of Eden; and thus humanity was holy, and this was the humanity which Christ had; and now, they say, the particular time has come for us to become holy in that same sense, and then we will have "translation faith"; and never die" (9/25/00)

Then, a week later, Haskel wrote an editorial in the Review and Herald, stating:

Quote:
. . . [O]n pages 361, 362 [our present edition 311, 312]: "Christ is the ladder that Jacob saw, the base resting on the earth, and the topmost round reaching to the gate of heaven, to the very threshold of glory. If that ladder had failed by a single step of reaching by a single step of reaching the earth, we should have been lost. But Christ reaches us where we are. He took our nature and overcame, that we through taking his nature might overcome. Made ‘in the likeness of sinful flesh,’ he lived a sinless life. Now by his divinity he lays hold upon the throne of heaven, while by his humanity he reaches us." (RH 10/2/00)

Haskell was quoting from the Desire of Ages:

Then he commented:
 Quote:
"This is fallen humanity with all its hereditary inclinations. He who was as spotless while on earth as when in heaven took our nature, that he might lift man to the exaltation of himself by his righteousness."

Here we see Haskell quoting from Ellen White, and interpret her meaning, in a public paper, to dispute a teaching that he and Ellen White were working on together to confront. It's inconceivable that Ellen White would allow Haskell to incorrectly quote her, given the circumstances.

In this same time frame, E. J. Waggoner, at the 1901 GC session, at which Ellen White was present, said the following:

Quote:
There were two questions handed me, and I might read them now. One is this: "Was that holy thing which was born of the virgin Mary born in sinful flesh, and did that flesh have the same evil tendencies to contend with that ours does?" I do not know anything about this except what I read in the Bible...

If Jesus, who came here to show me the way of salvation, in whom alone there is hope—if His life here on earth was a sham, then where is the hope? "But," you say, "this question presupposes the opposite, that He was perfectly holy, so holy that He never had any evil to contend with."

That's what I am referring to. I read, He "was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin." I read of His praying all night, in such agony the drops of sweat like blood fell from his face. But if that were all make-believe, if He were not really tempted, of what use is it all to me? I am left worse off than I was before.

But O, if there is One—and I do not use this "if" with any thought of doubt; I will say since there is One who went through all that I ever can be called upon to go through, who resisted more than I can ever be called upon to resist, who was constituted in every respect as I am, only in even worse circumstances than I have been, who met all the power that the devil could exercise through human flesh and yet who knew no sin—then I can rejoice. That which He did 1900 years ago He is still able to do to all who believe in Him.

The Immaculate Conception denies the Bible view of the nature of Christ.

We need to settle, every one of us, whether we are out of the church of Rome or not. Many have the marks yet...

Christ was tempted in the flesh, He suffered in the flesh, but He had a mind which never consented to sin. He established the will of God in the flesh, and established that God's will may be done in any human, sinful flesh (General Conference Bulletin, 1901, pp. 403-405).

So here we see important figures in the SDA church, Haskell and Waggoner, working in concert with Ellen White, to rebut the Holy Flesh teaching. She was a part of this. That she would remain silent, assuming Haskell was incorrect in quoting her, or that Waggoner's argument was unsound, especially assuming she had already written against such ideas (e.g. to Baker), is simply not possible. It doesn't match the historical setting.

Quote:
Tendencies to sin are both in our spiritual nature and in our flesh, which is to say that we receive tendencies to sin both genetically and by means of sinning.

Are you affirming that only acquired tendencies to sin have to do with our spiritual nature?

What I'm saying is that there are tendencies to sin which are present within our inherited natures. Christ had those. There are tendencies to sin which we develop because we sin. Christ never sinned, so He did not obtain tendencies to sin in this way.

Quote:
It takes two sets of chromosomes to form a new human being. During meiosis, the matching chromosomes of father and mother can exchange small parts of themselves (crossover), and thus create new chromosomes that are not inherited solely from either parent.(Wiki) We don't know how sinful tendencies are transmitted, nor how things happened in Christ's case, so this argument of heredity is questionable, in my opinion.

That Christ inherited tendencies to sin was common knowledge, in the SDA church, as the Bible Readings for the Home quote illustrates. Many more examples could be presented. This was even an area for discussion (i.e., it wasn't contentious).

Quote:
It’s clear to me that “propensities of sin,” “propensities of disobedience” and “evil propensity” are all synonyms here. Are you affirming that “propensities of disobedience,” with which we are born, are different from “sinful propensities”?

Another thing to be pointed out is that she says in this quote that Adam was created "without a taint of sin upon him," but his posterity was born with inherent propensities of disobedience. But, about Christ, she says that "He was born without a taint of sin, but came into the world in like manner as the human family." {5MR 115.1}

What SDA's believed is that Christ inherited tendencies to sin, just like the rest of us, but that Christ always resisted these tendencies. Again, quoting Haskell:

Quote:
This is fallen humanity with all its hereditary inclinations. He who was as spotless while on earth as when in heaven took our nature, that he might lift man to the exaltation of himself by his righteousness.

This is how Ellen White was understood by her contemporaries, who quoted her, with her knowledge, while she was alive and able to correct any errors with her meaning (which she did routinely, but not here).

Regarding the Baker letter, it is clear to me she is saying the same thing that all Adventists said, which is that Christ came with a human nature like ours, but He never sinned in that nature. Again, it's simply not feasible, given the historical context, that she was speaking against the views that Jones and Waggoner presented, men with whom she preached on the same subject, side by side, and whose position on this subject she defended. (e.g. 1888 Mat. 533 par. 6)

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #3 - The Reality of His HUMANITY [Re: Rosangela] #98314
04/17/08 10:14 PM
04/17/08 10:14 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: Rosangela
 Quote:
The idea that Jesus is spiritually like Adam before the fall and physically like us prevents Him from fulfilling one of the reasons He became a man, namely, to demonstrate how born again sinners can obey the law perfectly.

His purpose was not that.

"Christ came to the earth, taking humanity and standing as man's representative, to show in the controversy with Satan that he was a liar, and that man, as God created him, connected with the Father and the Son, could obey every requirement of God." {16MR 115.2}

Are you sure the phrase "as God created him" means post-fall sinless man? What about all the other statements that plainly Jesus came to show how born again sinners can obey the law perfectly?

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #3 - The Reality of His HUMANITY [Re: Mountain Man] #98315
04/17/08 10:27 PM
04/17/08 10:27 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
If we limit our discussion to the Bible, which is not necessary, it clearly says Jesus came in the likeness of sinful flesh. Just exactly what sinful flesh is like is described in the preceding verses. It wars against the Spirit and new man mind within born again believers who are abiding in Jesus. The sin that dwells within them, that is, within their sinful flesh, generates and communicates all manner of unholy thoughts and feelings, which are nothing more than temptations.

They do not become a sin until the moment they are owned and cherished. They do not contaminate or corrupt character. This is the type of sinful flesh nature Jesus inherited at birth. It's tendencies, inclinations, propensities were decidedly sinful, but from the cradle to the cross Jesus resisted them in the same way born again believers must rsist them. It is important not to confuse the inherited propensities of His fallen flesh nature with the cultivated propensities He nurtured and developed from conception and birth.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #3 - The Reality of His HUMANITY [Re: Mountain Man] #98316
04/17/08 10:31 PM
04/17/08 10:31 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: Mountain Man
One way around this problem is to say when we are born again our sinful nature is renewed, changed, transformed, that it ceases to tempt us from within to be unlike Jesus, that every impulse is in harmony with the will of God like Adam before the fall. If this were true, then born again believers could not be tempted from within; all temptations would originate outside of them. But does reality reflect this model?

Another way of looking at it is to say it is not a sin to be tempted from within, that the temptations that originate within are no more contaminating than the temptations that originate without. Under this model Jesus could possess sinful flesh nature just like fallen man, be tempted from wtihin like us, and not suffer corruption or contamination of character.

Rosangela, do you believe our sinful nature is transformed the moment we are born again, that it ceases to war against the Spirit and mind of the new man, that it generates and communicates thoughts and feelings that are in harmony with the will of God?

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #3 - The Reality of His HUMANITY [Re: Mountain Man] #98328
04/18/08 01:47 AM
04/18/08 01:47 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
MM:The idea that Jesus is spiritually like Adam before the fall and physically like us prevents Him from fulfilling one of the reasons He became a man, namely, to demonstrate how born again sinners can obey the law perfectly.

R:His purpose was not that.

(quote supplied by Rosangela)

T:There are statements which say that it was.

There are actually quite a lot of statements which make the point that Christ came to show that fallen man could keep the law of God. Happily I've been able to find the specific one I was looking for.

Quote:
Satan declared that it was impossible for the sons and daughters of Adam to keep the law of God, and thus charged upon God a lack of wisdom and love. If they could not keep the law, then there was fault with the Lawgiver. Men who are under the control of Satan repeat these accusations against God, in asserting that men can not keep the law of God. Jesus humbled himself, clothing his divinity with humanity, in order that he might stand as the head and representative of the human family, and by both precept and example condemn sin in the flesh, and give the lie to Satan's charges. He was subjected to the fiercest temptations that human nature can know, yet he sinned not; for sin is the transgression of the law. By faith he laid hold upon divinity, even as humanity may lay hold upon infinite power through him. Altho tempted upon all points even as men are tempted, he sinned not. (ST 1/16/96)

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #3 - The Reality of His HUMANITY [Re: Tom] #98338
04/18/08 07:01 AM
04/18/08 07:01 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
If we assume that Jesus came to share our experience of what it means to be humans, and if we further assume that we indeed have inherited traits of or towards sin, then it follows that Jesus must have had these same inherited traits in order to accomplish His objective of sharing our experience. If He came and became human in a pre-sin condition, then it could only be said that He shares the experience of very, very few humans, perhaps only two.

For this to be otherwise, either of the two premises must be changed so that we conclude that Jesus did NOT come to share our experience of what it means to be human or that there is no such thing as inherited traits of or towards sin.

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #3 - The Reality of His HUMANITY [Re: vastergotland] #98345
04/18/08 03:00 PM
04/18/08 03:00 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I agree, Thomas. A famous quote is:

Quote:
For that which He has not assumed He has not healed

This was written by Gregory of Nazianzus, probably in the latter half of the 4th century.

Here's some more of the quote, which I found interesting.

Quote:
For that which He has not assumed He has not healed; but that which is united to His Godhead is also saved. If only half Adam fell, then that which Christ assumes and saves may be half also; but if the whole of his nature fell, it must be united to the whole nature of Him that was begotten, and so be saved as a whole. Let them not, then, begrudge us our complete salvation, or clothe the Saviour only with bones and nerves and the portraiture of humanity.

E. J. Waggoner expressed the thought this way:

Quote:
A little thought will be sufficient to show anybody that if Christ took upon Himself the likeness of man in order that He might redeem man, it must have been sinful man that He was made like, for it is sinful man that He came to redeem. (Christ Our Righteousness)

Reply Quote
Page 3 of 27 1 2 3 4 5 26 27
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!