HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,609
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
7 registered members (Kevin H, Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, ProdigalOne, 2 invisible), 3,079 guests, and 13 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 55 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 54 55
Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #98299
04/17/08 07:03 PM
04/17/08 07:03 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Impatience is impatience.

I think this is where your theory is off. There are different forms of impatience, some more subtle than others. When you come to Christ, the Holy Spirit reveals the more gross examples, but there can be subtle examples that there would be no point in Him revealing because you wouldn't understand it to be sin. You might mistake what is really impatience to be something else. So time is needed for you to recognize the truth about yourself.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #98300
04/17/08 07:09 PM
04/17/08 07:09 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
TE: Of course every sinful habit revealed is repented of. But that's not the same thing as every sinful habit.

MM: What is the difference between sinful habits that are revealed and sinful habits that are not revealed? What makes them different?

The main difference is whether or not they are revealed. God reveals to us that which we know to begin the process of healing. We don't need to know everything, and, indeed, we can't. There's just too much.

Quote:
Why does the Holy Spirit reveal some sinful habits during the process that leads to rebirth, but not all of them?

Because He wants to heal us, not overwhelm us. Would you show a child Calculus? Or do you start with the basics, and work your way up?

Quote:
What is it about some sinful habits that allows Him to wait until they after they are born again to reveal them? How are they different?

Again, God wants to heal us. Not overwhelm us. If God revealed all our sin to us at once, it would blow us away. So He reveals what is necessary for us to start the process of healing.

Quote:
Or, does it really matter? Does it matter if the Holy Spirit waits to reveal certain subcategories of sinful habits (e.g. representative sins) until they are born again?

I know nothing in Scripture which talks about God's revealing certain categories or subcategories of sins when one is born again. I think your over-complicating things.

God wants us to be right with Him, so He reveals to us what is necessary for this to happen.

Quote:
Does it even matter if He never reveals them, if He allows them to sin in ignorance until they die or are translated? If so, can you name such a sinful habit?

Before being translated, I think all sin is revealed, which I think is communicated by the fact that the 144,000 stand before God without a mediator.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Tom] #98319
04/17/08 11:01 PM
04/17/08 11:01 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
 Quote:
Impatience is impatience.

I think this is where your theory is off. There are different forms of impatience, some more subtle than others. When you come to Christ, the Holy Spirit reveals the more gross examples, but there can be subtle examples that there would be no point in Him revealing because you wouldn't understand it to be sin. You might mistake what is really impatience to be something else. So time is needed for you to recognize the truth about yourself.

This is where I get confused. You say there are all sorts of subtle forms of impatience the Holy Spirit waits to reveal until after a person experiences rebirth, but you never cite examples. When I beg for examples, you tell me it isn't important, that my focus is all wrong.

I can tell you it matters very much to those of us who have to be around someone who is impatient. Being around someone who is impatient, who doesn't know they are being impatient, can be less than lovely, especially if they claim to be a Christain. Few things are more offensive than being around a clueless, impatient, "Christian".

It is easier to conclude, based on their fruits, that they are a Christian in name only. The rest of us are convinced they are not a Christian in reality. We're not being hypersensitive or judgmental. It's just that they are the furthest thing from being like Jesus when they are being impatient, especially if they happen to be your boss or spouse or parent.

It is very difficult, well nigh impossible, to blame it on the Holy Spirit, to conclude He simply hasn't revealed what is obvious to the rest of us to the person who claims to be a Christian. To what advantage is it to the Holy Spirit to sit back and wait for a better day to reveal to him how unChristlike his impatience is? It cetainly doesn't speak well of God if this is indeed what the Holy Spirit is doing. Why would He wait?

Do you see what I mean?

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #98330
04/18/08 02:13 AM
04/18/08 02:13 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
You ask why He would wait. As I said, it's because He doesn't want to overwhelm us. God shows us representative sins, what's needed in order to heal our relationship.

It's very easy for us to misdiagnose a behavior we have as something other than it is. It's not that the Holy Spirit necessarily decides not to reveal something to us, but that we are not able to understand the truth at a given point. The Holy Spirit could reveal whatever He wanted, and we still wouldn't get it.

It seems to me that you are vastly underestimating how deeply we need healing, or, rather, how deep the healing that we need is.

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Tom] #98341
04/18/08 07:26 AM
04/18/08 07:26 AM
V
vastergotland  Offline
Active Member 2011
3500+ Member
Sweden
If the impatient man in your example Mike would be in a situation like this: having an infected wound on his leg which would cause terminal illness within days if untreated (here: impatience) but also hanging by one branch above the Grand Canyon, which would mean death within minutes if the branch breaks or his fingers run out of strenght to hold on (here: lacking knowledge of Jesus unto salvation, ie not being born again), would you blame the Spirit for not treating the legg wound first? Or would you say that it matters less if he falls to his death if only the legg wound is healed first as he would die without any active sin in his life although he would also die without having accepted Jesus and a rebirth experience?

Galatians 2
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

It is so hazardous to take here a little and there a little. If you put the right little's together you can make the bible teach anything you wish. //Graham Maxwell
Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: vastergotland] #98346
04/18/08 03:04 PM
04/18/08 03:04 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Thomas, thanx for the colorful, creative parable. But does it have to be either or? Seems to me rebirth cures both problems - the nasty leg and the brittle branch. Jesus would not leave the guy hanging and only cure the leg, nor would He only place him on solid ground and leave the leg untreated. In the past, Jesus healed people and then told them to go and sin no more.

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #98348
04/18/08 03:09 PM
04/18/08 03:09 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, what about the impatient Christian whose impatience leads people around him to conclude his profession is nothing more than hot air. Is this the type of sinful beavhiors the Holy Spirit waits to reveal until after they are born again? What is it about such habits that makes the Holy Spirit wait?

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #98349
04/18/08 03:19 PM
04/18/08 03:19 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
God has to start the healing process somewhere. So He reveals to us what is needed in order to heal our relationship to Him. Perfection of character is not instantaneous.

Consider the publican in Jesus' story as an example. He smote his breast, not so much as looking to heaven, and prayed, "God, be merciful to me a sinner" and was justified.

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Tom] #98361
04/18/08 07:34 PM
04/18/08 07:34 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, Sister White wrote that many, so many who claim to be a Christian were buried alive, self did not die, they did not rise to newness of life. She says they have the same untamed tempers and ungodly dispositions they possessed before they were baptized. She gos on to say they are not truly born again. People who experience genuine rebirth manifest the fruits of the Spirit. There is a decided difference before and after they complete the process of converting from being unlike Jesus to being like Him. People around them marvel at the transformation and give glory to God. This is what it means to be born again. The impatient guy you are defending is not born again.

The poor publican you referred to is not the kind of guy who has impatient means and manners that offfend people around him or cause them to conclude his profession is hypocritical. He is too mindful of his need of grace to be grumpy or short tempered. This kind of healing happens during the process that leads to rebirth. The Holy Spirit does not wait until after they are born again to heal them of sinful behaviors that make people around them think theie rebirth is incomplete or faulty. I don't see how you can say otherwise.

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #98381
04/19/08 04:58 AM
04/19/08 04:58 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Tom, Sister White wrote that many, so many who claim to be a Christian were buried alive, self did not die, they did not rise to newness of life. She says they have the same untamed tempers and ungodly dispositions they possessed before they were baptized. She gos on to say they are not truly born again. People who experience genuine rebirth manifest the fruits of the Spirit. There is a decided difference before and after they complete the process of converting from being unlike Jesus to being like Him. People around them marvel at the transformation and give glory to God. This is what it means to be born again. The impatient guy you are defending is not born again.

I believe everything you wrote here is true, except the last sentence. The impatient guy I'm speaking of is unaware of some impatient behavior he has. Born again does not mean infallible or perfect. One still has things to learn.

Quote:
The poor publican you referred to is not the kind of guy who has impatient means and manners that offfend people around him or cause them to conclude his profession is hypocritical.

This is a straw man argument, MM. Nobody claimed this to be the case, and you know this.

Quote:
He is too mindful of his need of grace to be grumpy or short tempered. This kind of healing happens during the process that leads to rebirth. The Holy Spirit does not wait until after they are born again to heal them of sinful behaviors that make people around them think theie rebirth is incomplete or faulty. I don't see how you can say otherwise.

All I can think of to say is to repeat that it appears to me that you are vastly underestimating how deep the healing we need is. It simply isn't something that can be done in a moment or an hour. The process begins when we are born again. It doesn't end there.

Page 7 of 55 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 54 55

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Daryl. 05/01/24 07:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by ProdigalOne. 04/29/24 04:47 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!