HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,611
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 16
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Kevin H, Daryl, 2 invisible), 2,944 guests, and 16 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 9 of 55 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 54 55
Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Tom] #98515
04/22/08 08:11 PM
04/22/08 08:11 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
"Do people experience rebirth before they crucify self, before they crucify the sins that stand in the way of rebirth and salvation?"

Oops! I meant to ask - Do people experience rebirth before they crucify self, before they crucify the sins that stand in the way of salvation?

---

A person can experience rebirth before they learn the truth about such things (coffee, jewelry, sabbath keeping, etc). But they have not completed the process of converting to obeying and observing everything Jesus commanded. There is a difference between experiencing rebirth and completing the process of conversion. Do you agree?

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Tom] #98516
04/22/08 08:23 PM
04/22/08 08:23 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
 Quote:
1. Why did he cut her off? What was his motive? What was the underlying attitude at the time?

Something he wasn't aware of and wasn't able to recognize at the time.

Quote:
2. Also, assuming the best (i.e. good motives and intentions, etc), is this type of communication considered a sinful behavior the Holy Spirit is waiting to reveal until he is willing and able to confront, confess, and crucify it?

I'm not understanding why you're asking this.

The "What about this?" was in reference to the following:

Quote:
3. If I say that I believe what is important is in understanding of God's character, and that this is what the Great Controversy is all about, and that this is what we should be talking about, I'm not understanding why you feel that we should only talk about what you want to talk about, but not talk about what I think is important.

1. Was he guilty of sinning? If so, what was his sin?

2. Does this type of communication count as sinning? If so, why is the Holy Spirit waiting to reveal it to him? What if his wife leaves him over it?

3. Both topics are important. There is time for both. They are interrelated. I was simply asking you not to ignore what I asked by stating it isn't as important as focusing on the truth about God's character. The following quote is insightful:

SC 19
It is not enough to perceive the loving-kindness of God, to see the benevolence, the fatherly tenderness, of His character. It is not enough to discern the wisdom and justice of His law, to see that it is founded upon the eternal principle of love. {SC 19.1}

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #98521
04/22/08 09:01 PM
04/22/08 09:01 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, the following quote makes it clear that people who are abiding in Jesus do not unwittingly misrepresent Him in these ways:

1. By having a spirit contrary to the spirit of Christ.

2. By evilspeaking.

3. By foolish talking.

4. By words that are untruthful or unkind.

5. By shunning life's burdens.

6. By the pursuit of sinful pleasure.

7. By conforming to the world.

8. By uncourteous behavior.

9. By the love of their own opinions.

10. By justifying self.

11. By cherishing doubt.

12. By borrowing trouble.

13. By dwelling in darkness.

Quote:
DA 357
He who would confess Christ must have Christ abiding in him. He cannot communicate that which he has not received. The disciples might speak fluently on doctrines, they might repeat the words of Christ Himself; but unless they possessed Christlike meekness and love, they were not confessing Him.

A spirit contrary to the spirit of Christ would deny Him, whatever the profession. Men may deny Christ by evilspeaking, by foolish talking, by words that are untruthful or unkind. They may deny Him by shunning life's burdens, by the pursuit of sinful pleasure. They may deny Him by conforming to the world, by uncourteous behavior, by the love of their own opinions, by justifying self, by cherishing doubt, borrowing trouble, and dwelling in darkness.

In all these ways they declare that Christ is not in them. And "whosoever shall deny Me before men," He says, "him will I also deny before My Father which is in heaven." {DA 357.2}

Do you agree that a newborn babe does not manifest these sinful habits while they are abiding in Jesus? The following quote reiterates the fact that people who are abiding in Jesus do not vent the clamorings of their fallen flesh nature.

Quote:
HP 270
When we are brought into adverse circumstances, when our natural feelings are stirred, and we want to give vent to them, then our faith is tried; then we are to manifest the meekness and gentleness of Christ. Not by one word are we to give expression to the feelings of the natural heart.

"If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body" (James 3:2)--the whole man. What we want is to be under the control of Jesus. We do not want our own way.

I have heard some plead as an excuse for their wrong course, "You know that it is my temperament, it is my disposition, transmitted to me from my parents." Yes; and they have cultivated it and educated themselves in it and thus excused all their wrongdoing.

Instead of yielding to temptation, they should lay hold upon the arm of Infinite Power, saying, "I will come to God just as I am, and plead with Christ to give me the victory. I shall be more than conqueror through Him that loved me." {HP 270.2}

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #98531
04/22/08 10:59 PM
04/22/08 10:59 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I think you are misapprehending her intent. She says that Christ may be denied by any of a number of behaviors. She says "may." She doesn't say "must be."

She says that Christ may be denied by (list of behaviors), and you are understanding this to mean, no Christian, even a new-born babe in Christ, ever does any of these things.

"Shunning life's burdens." What does that mean? It's hard to believe a person would think they never missed on this one.

Here's another one:

Quote:
by the love of their own opinions, by justifying self,

You don't think this applies to you, even a little bit? You can't see that you've done either of these things, to even a small degree, in the years we've been discussing things on TWSFKAMSDAOL? (the web site formerly known as Maritime SDA online)

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Tom] #98562
04/23/08 03:38 PM
04/23/08 03:38 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: TWSFKAMSDAOL

MM: Very funny.

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #98563
04/23/08 03:44 PM
04/23/08 03:44 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, there are several questions I've posted in the last few posts which I would like you to address. I will list them here again for your convenience:

1. Do people experience rebirth before they crucify self, before they crucify the sins that stand in the way of salvation?

2. A person can experience rebirth before they learn the truth about things like coffee, jewelry, sabbath keeping, etc. But they have not completed the process of converting to obeying and observing everything Jesus commanded. There is a difference between experiencing rebirth and completing the process of conversion. Do you agree?

3. Was he guilty of sinning? If so, what was his sin?

4. Does this type of communication count as sinning? If so, why is the Holy Spirit waiting to reveal it to him? What if his wife leaves him because it is offensive to her?

5. Both topics are important. There is time for both. They are interrelated. I was simply asking you not to ignore what I asked by stating it isn't as important as focusing on the truth about God's character. The following quote is insightful. What do you think it means?

SC 19
It is not enough to perceive the loving-kindness of God, to see the benevolence, the fatherly tenderness, of His character. It is not enough to discern the wisdom and justice of His law, to see that it is founded upon the eternal principle of love. {SC 19.1}

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #98564
04/23/08 03:52 PM
04/23/08 03:52 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: She says that Christ may be denied by (list of behaviors), and you are understanding this to mean, no Christian, even a new-born babe in Christ, ever does any of these things.

MM: This is the crux of the matter, isn't it? Please know that I am not saying Christians are never guilty of neglecting to abide in Jesus and reverting back to these types of sinful behaviors. What I am saying, which is what I think Sister White is saying, is that Christians, even newborn babes in Christ, do not and cannot commit these types of sins while they are actively and aggressively abiding in Jesus.

Do you agree? If not, which listed sinful behavior do you believe newborn babes in Christ might still commit unwittingly because the Holy Spirit has not yet revealed it to them?

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #98573
04/23/08 05:11 PM
04/23/08 05:11 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
No, I disagree. She says on a number of occasions that the character is not revealed by the occasional misdeed or good deed, but by the trend. If our goal is to know more of God, to behold Him, to be like Him, then we will grow in grace, and that will happen. That doesn't mean that we can't occasionally sin. Moses is an example of this. How many people have known God as well as Moses did? But when he sinned, his repentance was quick, and deep.

Regarding newborn babes in Christ, the sin upon which Moses fell would certainly serve as an example. An "occasional misdeed" could cover just about anything, couldn't it?

Well, some sins are very premeditated, so it's hard to see how a Christian could do one of those while abiding in Jesus, assuming they knew what they were doing was wrong.

It seems to me that there are all sorts of things where a person is not convicted that something is wrong, and later on changes their mind, and becomes convicted that what they were doing indeed was wrong. For example, certain activities one does during Sabbath hours, or dealing with an immigration issue, or a complicated tax issue to name a couple that come to mind.

An even better example is coming to understand more fully what God is like. Having a false view of God can be a form of idolatry.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Tom] #98590
04/24/08 04:00 AM
04/24/08 04:00 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: That doesn't mean that we can't occasionally sin.

MM: While we are abiding in Jesus? Which one of the sins listed below will we commit unwittingly if we are abiding in Jesus?

1. By having a spirit contrary to the spirit of Christ.

2. By evilspeaking.

3. By foolish talking.

4. By words that are untruthful or unkind.

5. By shunning life's burdens.

6. By the pursuit of sinful pleasure.

7. By conforming to the world.

8. By uncourteous behavior.

9. By the love of their own opinions.

10. By justifying self.

11. By cherishing doubt.

12. By borrowing trouble.

13. By dwelling in darkness.

Tom, before you answer, please bear in mind this list comes from the following quote, in which she says, "In all these ways they declare that Christ is not in them." In other words, they cannot commit these sins while Christ is in them.

Quote:
DA 357
He who would confess Christ must have Christ abiding in him. He cannot communicate that which he has not received. The disciples might speak fluently on doctrines, they might repeat the words of Christ Himself; but unless they possessed Christlike meekness and love, they were not confessing Him.

A spirit contrary to the spirit of Christ would deny Him, whatever the profession. Men may deny Christ by evilspeaking, by foolish talking, by words that are untruthful or unkind. They may deny Him by shunning life's burdens, by the pursuit of sinful pleasure. They may deny Him by conforming to the world, by uncourteous behavior, by the love of their own opinions, by justifying self, by cherishing doubt, borrowing trouble, and dwelling in darkness.

In all these ways they declare that Christ is not in them. And "whosoever shall deny Me before men," He says, "him will I also deny before My Father which is in heaven." {DA 357.2}

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #98591
04/24/08 04:01 AM
04/24/08 04:01 AM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, there are several questions I've posted recently which I would like you to address. I will list them here again for your convenience:

1. Do people experience rebirth before they crucify self, before they crucify the sins that stand in the way of salvation?

2. A person can experience rebirth before they learn the truth about things like coffee, jewelry, sabbath keeping, etc. But they have not completed the process of converting to obeying and observing everything Jesus commanded. There is a difference between experiencing rebirth and completing the process of conversion. Do you agree?

3. Was he guilty of sinning? If so, what was his sin?

4. Does this type of communication count as sinning? If so, why is the Holy Spirit waiting to reveal it to him? What if his wife leaves him because it is offensive to her?

5. Both topics are important. There is time for both. They are interrelated. I was simply asking you not to ignore what I asked by stating it isn't as important as focusing on the truth about God's character. The following quote is insightful. What do you think it means?

SC 19

Page 9 of 55 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 54 55

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Daryl. 05/01/24 07:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!