HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,619
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Nadi, 2 invisible), 3,409 guests, and 22 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 27 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 26 27
Re: Lesson #3 - The Reality of His HUMANITY [Re: Tom] #98451
04/20/08 07:16 PM
04/20/08 07:16 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
MM, I agree with Rosangela's response to you.

Quote:
When I become aware of a selfish impulse/attitude/thought, I realize how depraved my heart is, and ask God to change it.

I believe this is the proper response of a Christian. I believe this is in harmony with the quotes I presented to you from COL.

Ellen White is not saying that we need to continue to sin in COL, but that as we come closer to Christ, our renunciation of self will deepen. She said:

Quote:
Save me in spite of myself, my weak, unchristlike self....It is not only at the beginning of the Christian life that this renunciation of self is to be made. At every advance
step heavenward it is to be renewed.

This is the prayer of the Christian, and the closer one comes to Christ, the more deeply felt is this prayer.

One needn't be sinning to repent. This is made clear by her statement:

Quote:
At every advance step in Christian experience our repentance will deepen.

Quote:
Yes, of course. But you seem to be implying this particular insight means born again believers continually discover hitherto unknown sinful behaviors, sinful habits the Holy Spirit waits to reveal to them until after they are willing and able to confront, confess, and crucify them. This is what I'm disagreeing with.

There's nothing I wrote which implies this.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Re: Lesson #3 - The Reality of His HUMANITY [Re: Tom] #98453
04/20/08 07:21 PM
04/20/08 07:21 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
First of all, you believe that we are born with inherited tendencies to sin, but Christ was not (please correct any misrepresentations of your views). Yet Ellen White affirms that Christ demonstrated that we can perfectly obey God's law. How so? If He had no inherited tendencies to sin, and we do, we could validly claim that He only demonstrated that unfallen human beings (albeit tired, hungry and thirsty ones) with no inherited tendencies to sin could so, but not that humans such as we are could do so. We could use our sinful natures as an excuse, and there would be no response to that, since nothing Christ did (under the idea that Christ did not inherit tendencies to sin) would have proved otherwise.

I'd like to take a stab at this.

First, never present Christ as one altogether such an one as we are, for it cannot be. But if He's not exactly as we are, is His life of perfect obedience under every point of temptation a valid example for us? Yes, because His temptations were 100 times stronger than ours.

However, a bit of analysis shows that His inherited tendencies to sin could account for no more than 1% of the total. (see primary source of Christ's temptations) So we can accept His example of overcoming temptation under all circumstances, since His circumstances were much worse than ours, even though they were not identical to ours.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #3 - The Reality of His HUMANITY [Re: asygo] #98456
04/20/08 08:00 PM
04/20/08 08:00 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
You're assuming your conclusion. You assert that Christ's temptations were 100 times stronger than ours, but how do you even known that it's possible for the temptations of one with an unfallen nature to be even as strong as ours, let alone stronger? If it's not possible for the temptations of an unfallen nature to be as strong as ours, then the fact that Christ's temptations were stronger is simply evidence that He took our nature.

Ellen White writes that Christ silenced Satan's accusations by taking our fallen nature. That makes perfect sense. But how could Christ demonstrate that a fallen human being could overcome by taking the nature of an unfallen being?

E. J. Waggoner writes:

Quote:
A little thought will be sufficient to show anybody that if Christ took upon Himself the likeness of man in order that He might redeem man, it must have been sinful man that He was made like, for it is sinful man that He came to redeem....Moreover, the fact that Christ took upon Himself the flesh, not of a sinless being, but of a sinful man, that is, that the flesh which He assumed had all the weaknesses and sinful tendencies to which fallen human nature is subject, is shown by the statement that He “was made of the seed of David according to the flesh.” (Christ and His Righteousness)

This logic makes sense.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #3 - The Reality of His HUMANITY [Re: Tom] #98460
04/21/08 03:50 AM
04/21/08 03:50 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
You assert that Christ's temptations were 100 times stronger than ours

That's not MY assertion.

Quote:
The Son of God placed Himself in the sinner's stead, and passed over the ground where Adam fell, and endured the temptation in the wilderness which was a hundred-fold stronger than was or ever will be brought to bear upon the human race. {6MR 334.2}

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #3 - The Reality of His HUMANITY [Re: Tom] #98461
04/21/08 04:00 AM
04/21/08 04:00 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
E. J. Waggoner writes:

Quote:
A little thought will be sufficient to show anybody that if Christ took upon Himself the likeness of man in order that He might redeem man, it must have been sinful man that He was made like, for it is sinful man that He came to redeem....

This logic makes sense.

The logic is incomplete.

Jesus came to redeem corrupt man, rebellious man, evil man. If Waggoner's logic is correct, then Jesus had to be corrupt, rebellious, and evil. But we know that's not the case. The failure is in the unspoken premise that Jesus had to be like what He came to redeem.

Along those lines is the error that what Jesus did not assume, He did not heal. Therefore, Gregory N. was also wrong.

The doctor does not have to be sick, the teacher does not have to be ignorant. Those trapped in quicksand cannot be saved by one who is also in the quicksand.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #3 - The Reality of His HUMANITY [Re: Tom] #98462
04/21/08 04:02 AM
04/21/08 04:02 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
how do you even known that it's possible for the temptations of one with an unfallen nature to be even as strong as ours, let alone stronger? If it's not possible for the temptations of an unfallen nature to be as strong as ours

How do you know that it's not possible?

By God's grace,
Arnold

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #3 - The Reality of His HUMANITY [Re: Tom] #98463
04/21/08 04:10 AM
04/21/08 04:10 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
You're assuming your conclusion.

Did you read the thread I linked to? I know I skipped a bunch of steps, but do you see how Christ's internal temptations could account for no more than 1% of His total temptations?

By God's grace,
Arnold

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #3 - The Reality of His HUMANITY [Re: asygo] #98468
04/21/08 02:33 PM
04/21/08 02:33 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
I looked at it, and it seems to have the flaw I pointed out. You're assuming it's possible that He could have had temptations as strong as ours even though He didn't take a nature like ours. How do you know that's possible?

I'll comment further on a couple of your assertions:

Quote:
Did Jesus have to suffer the degrading effects of CULTIVATED tendencies to wrong? I trust we all agree that such was not the case.

Ellen White points out that what made Christ's temptations in the wilderness so difficult to bear was the fact that He bore our sins. His bearing these sins were not like His carrying them in a backpack, so that they had not impact on Him. She points out that Satan's temptations to Christ were enticing to Him. How could that be? To a sinless being, with a sinless nature, how could anything Satan presented to Christ that appealed to self have any appeal whatsoever? It would have been Satan tempting us to eat dung. We would smell it, bolt in horror, and say, "No thanks."

But Christ took our sinful nature, and bore our sins, and that combination made His experience like ours, not unlike ours. Because of His greater character, and never having sinned, He was able to bear temptation to a far greater degree than we can, but what made the temptations difficult for Him are the same things that make it difficult for us; the clamoring of our sinful nature, and the impact of sin (in His case, of course, that sin being ours which He bore, rather than His own, since He had none).

Quote:
Did Jesus have to suffer the degrading effects of INHERITED tendencies to wrong? There are two parents from whom He can inherit such tendencies. I'm sure we all agree that He could not have received tendencies to wrong from the Holy Spirit.

Jesus Christ was not an amalgamation, half human and half Holy Spirit. Assuming the Holy Spirit contributed chromosomes to Christ, what would they have been to? Clearly, that of a human being who lived in 0 B.C. (or 4 B.C.).

As Prescott asked in his sermon, "The Word Made Flesh" (which Ellen White endorsed in the strongest terms, calling it something like "truth unmingled with error") "What flesh could Christ have taken but the flesh which existed at the time?"

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #3 - The Reality of His HUMANITY [Re: Tom] #98469
04/21/08 02:57 PM
04/21/08 02:57 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
How do you know that it's not possible?

The onus is on you to prove your assertion, Arnold.

You're suggesting a scenario which looks to be historically impossible.

1.Ellen White used the phrases "sinful nature," "fallen nature," "nature degraded and defiled by sin," "nature of Adam the transgressor." These terms were used by everyone, SDA's and non-SDA's alike, to indicate a nature with inherited tendencies to sin. Can you cite even one person, contemporary to Ellen White, either SDA or not, who used these expressions in a way that did not mean that Christ took a human nature with tendencies to sin?

2.Ellen White's writings were understood by her contemporaries as meaning that Christ took a human nature with tendencies to sin. For example:

Quote:
[O]n pages 361, 362 [our present edition 311, 312]) Christ is the ladder that Jacob saw, the base resting on the earth, and the topmost round reaching to the gate of heaven, to the very threshold of glory. If that ladder had failed by a single step of reaching by a single step of reaching the earth, we should have been lost. But Christ reaches us where we are. He took our nature and overcame, that we through taking his nature might overcome. Made "in the likeness of sinful flesh," he lived a sinless life. Now by his divinity he lays hold upon the throne of heaven, while by his humanity he reaches us.

This is fallen humanity with all its hereditary inclinations. He who was as spotless while on earth as when in heaven took our nature, that he might lift man to the exaltation of himself by his righteousness. (Stephen Haskel, quoting from "The Desire of Ages," RH 10/2/00)

Hence Ellen White used expressions that were universally understood to mean "a nature with tendencies to sin" and was understood by her contemporaries in this way, and *Ellen White understood this was the case*.

She would have corrected someone who was misquoting her on a vital issue like this, especially when the whole purpose of Haskell's arguments were to disprove the teaching of the Holy Flesh. It would hardly have been ethical for Ellen White to stand by mute while Haskell, working in concert with her against the Holy Flesh teachings, misquoted her writings to express a teaching from The Desire of Ages to counter the Holy Flesh movement which in reality agreed with what the Holy Flesh movement was suggesting.

3.Ellen White specifically endorsed messages which taught that Christ took our fallen nature, with its tendencies to sin. For example, she endorsed the sermon "The Word Made Flesh" by W. W. Prescott, whose theme was that Christ took sinful flesh. "Flesh of sin, flesh in which we sin, but flesh in which he did not sin." (from memory).

Prescott asked "What flesh could he have taken, but the flesh of the time?" He used the expressions "sinful flesh" and "flesh of sin" in relation to Christ dozens of times in this sermon. That Christ had flesh exactly like ours was the point of his sermon.

4.The existence of the Baker letter actually makes it *less* likely that Ellen White's Christology was different than that of Haskell, Prescott, Jones or Waggoner. Why? Because this letter indicates that Christology was an important issue to her, and that she would correct aberrant views where they existed.

Yet far from correcting Prescott, Haskell, Jones or Waggoner's Christology, she endorsed it!

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #3 - The Reality of His HUMANITY [Re: Mountain Man] #98470
04/21/08 03:27 PM
04/21/08 03:27 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:
TE: I think the idea that Jesus never prayed for a change of heart, so we don't need to either is exceedingly dangerous.

MM: I agree. But I hope you aren't assuming that what's I said above. The new heart and mind Jesus implants when we are born again it is not desperately wicked and deceitful.

TE: Unfortunately, this sounds like a reiteration of the exceedingly dangerous idea.

Tom, are you implying that after we pray for a new heart and mind that the one Jesus gives us when we experience rebirth is also desperately wicked and deceitful?

Quote:
TE: This experience is the experience of the born-again believer. "It is not only at the beginning of the Christian life that this renunciation of self is to be made."

Renunciating self is simply another way of saying we must keep the unholy clamorings of sinful flesh nature under the control of a sanctified will and mind.

Jesus demonstrated how to subdue these types of inherited besetting sins. It in no way means the Holy Spirit keeps us in darkness and ignorance regarding certain sinful behaviors until the day He thinks we are willing and able to confront, confess, and crucify them.

Reply Quote
Page 6 of 27 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 26 27
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:07 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!