HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,619
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 9
Daryl 4
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
5 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Nadi, 2 invisible), 3,409 guests, and 22 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 8 of 27 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 26 27
Re: Lesson #3 - The Reality of His HUMANITY [Re: Tom] #98490
04/22/08 12:52 PM
04/22/08 12:52 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
There is allowance for imputed sins and tendencies, but it would be counted as coming from an external source, since such tendencies cannot be attributed to "the great law of heredity" or to personal cultivation of sin.

What I'm suggesting is that our fallen nature served as a catalyst. That the imputed sins and tendencies are much greater in effect, in terms of making the temptations so much stronger than ours, seems possible, because Christ took the sins and tendencies of billions of people upon Him, but He only assumed one fallen nature. But without assuming that fallen nature, the impact of those imputed sins and tendencies would have been lacking.

For example, when Satan presented to Christ the kingdoms of this world as a prize, Christ turned away, rather than gaze upon them. Why? Because having these kingdoms was something pleasant for Him to gaze upon, and doing so would have been dangerous; He could have fallen into temptation. But what interest would such kingdoms have for a being who did not take a fallen nature?

Again, the big problem I see with the position being suggested that Christ took a nature without inherited tendencies to sin is the historical one.

1.Every contemporary of Ellen White who spoke of Christ's having taken a sinful human nature did so with the meaning that Christ's nature had (by way of inheritance) tendencies or inclinations to sin. One would have to postulate that Ellen White used the term "sinful nature" to mean:
a.Something different than it meant to any other human
b.The same thing as what everybody else meant by the term "sinless nature"

2.One would have to postulate that Ellen White thought it was very important to write an unpublished letter to an obscure individual in Australia to correct a point of doctrine, but not important enough to inform people with whom she was preaching side by side, that were making presentations at the General Conference session, that were writing articles in the church's papers, and publishing books purporting to present what SDA's believe.

3.One would have to postulate that Ellen White would be able to endorse a sermon with statements such as "truth was separated from error," "Prescott has spoken ... at the Armendale campmeeting under inspiration of the Holy Spirit" "The inspiration of the Holy Spirit is upon him. Prescott has never had such power in preaching the truth" in regards to a sermon that was discussing that Christ took our fallen nature! The title of the sermon was "The Word Became Flesh" and the theme was that Christ took our fallen nature.

These are just a few of the historical problems. I've spoken of others elsewhere, so I won't repeat them here.

I see often repeated this same error of attempting to interpret inspired words (the same thing is done with Scripture; in particular, interpretations are often suggested of Paul's writings which would have been impossible, given the historical context) as if one could just parse words with no thought whatsoever given to the historical realities of the situation. Ellen White did not write in a vacuum.

It is clear that Ellen White's contemporaries believed that she taught that Christ took a nature which had hereditary inclinations to sin, and that she knew this to be the case. It defies credulity that she would have taken no steps to correct this misconception of her teachings on this point, had her colleagues been misinterpreting her position.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Re: Lesson #3 - The Reality of His HUMANITY [Re: Tom] #98491
04/22/08 12:59 PM
04/22/08 12:59 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
That quote says IT ALL, Daryl....

If people just believed that statement....most of this discussion wouldn't even be taking place....

The problem, Tammy, is that the interpretation that is suggested of this unpublished letter does not agree with the historical realities of the situation. What you are suggesting would involve giving greater weight to an unpublished letter than to the book "The Desire of Ages."

For example, Stephen Haskell, in quoted from the Desire of Ages:

Quote:
[O]n pages 361, 362 [our present edition 311, 312]: Christ is the ladder that Jacob saw, the base resting on the earth, and the topmost round reaching to the gate of heaven, to the very threshold of glory. If that ladder had failed by a single step of reaching by a single step of reaching the earth, we should have been lost. But Christ reaches us where we are. He took our nature and overcame, that we through taking his nature might overcome. Made ‘in the likeness of sinful flesh,’ he lived a sinless life. Now by his divinity he lays hold upon the throne of heaven, while by his humanity he reaches us.

This is fallen humanity with all its hereditary inclinations. He who was as spotless while on earth as when in heaven took our nature, that he might lift man to the exaltation of himself by his righteousness. (RH 10/2/00)

So we see that the "Desire of Ages", in the eyes of those who worked side by side with Ellen White in combating errors of Christology, teaches that Christ took a "fallen humanity with all its hereditary inclinations," which is in contrast to how the Baker letter has been interpreted by some.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #3 - The Reality of His HUMANITY [Re: Tom] #98492
04/22/08 02:58 PM
04/22/08 02:58 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:
MM: Tom, are you implying that after we pray for a new heart and mind that the one Jesus gives us when we experience rebirth is also desperately wicked and deceitful?

TE: A new heart and mind refers to the process of conversion. Do you agree?

Our heart refers to our innermost desires. Upon being converted, our desires become to live in harmony with God, and with the principles by which He runs His government. At the same time, we still have much to learn and unlearn. Millions of selfish decisions we have made in our lifetimes have an impact on us, and we need to be healed from these things. This healing doesn't happen in an instant.

The new mind and heart is what Jesus implants within people when they complete the process of rebirth. It is during the process of converting from worldliness to obeying and observing everything Jesus commanded that the Holy Spirit reveals their sinful habits and practices in light of the cross.

After they have confronted, confessed, and crucified everything that stands in the way of them experiencing the miracle of rebirth - self dies and they are rise to newness of life. The question is, therefore, which sinful habits and practices must be crucified before they can experience rebirth, before they can receive the implanted mind and heart of the new man?

You seem to think there are all kinds of sinful habits and practices that the Holy Spirit does not reveal before they experience the miracle of rebirth. You seem to be saying that the Holy Spirit waits until after they are born again to reveal the rest of their sinful habits and practices, that He is too kind and merciful to reveal certain sins because they are unwilling and able to confront them, to confess them, and to crucify them.

When I ask for examples of sinful habits and practices the Holy Spirit waits to reveal until after they are born again you list things like - saying "gee", being impatient, being proud, nursing old wounds, breaking the Sabbath, and believing things about God that are untrue. Given the types of things you list, I am led to ask, What did He reveal to them?

Quote:
MM: Renunciating self is simply another way of saying we must keep the unholy clamorings of sinful flesh nature under the control of a sanctified will and mind.

TE: That's not the focus of the COL quote. She writes that we should pray: Save me in spite of myself, my weak, unchristlike self.

Is this your prayer, MM?

She writes: It is not only at the beginning of the Christian life that this renunciation of self is to be made. At every advance
step heavenward it is to be renewed.

What does this mean to you, Tom? You seem to disagree with what I think it means. Does it mean we regularly become aware of new, hitherto unknown sinful habits and practices that must be confessed and crucified?

Quote:
MM: Jesus demonstrated how to subdue these types of inherited besetting sins.

TE: Agreed (although, not the focus of the COL quotes).

Did Jesus have to regularly renounce inherent selfishness?

Quote:
MM: It in no way means the Holy Spirit keeps us in darkness and ignorance regarding certain sinful behaviors until the day He thinks we are willing and able to confront, confess, and crucify them.

TE: You have a remarkable gift for twisting one's meanings into something else.

And you have a knack for ignoring comments and questions. Plus, you often assume things about me that are wrong and unkind. Please, Tom, simply address the issue and avoid the unsavory insults. Thank you.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #3 - The Reality of His HUMANITY [Re: Rosangela] #98493
04/22/08 03:14 PM
04/22/08 03:14 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: Rosangela
In the quote you posted, notice that Ellen White is by no means analyzing if Christ’s nature was fallen or unfallen, but the fact that He took “man’s nature,” otherwise “He could not have been tempted as man has been.” As far as I know, man could be tempted both before and after his fall, so she is here speaking of the human condition, not of a pre-fall or post-fall condition.

Pre-fall man was not tempted from within like post-fall man is tempted from within. The origin of internally generated temptations is fallen flesh nature. Satan could be dead and gone and they would still be tempted from within. All external forms of temptation could cease to exist and they would still be tempted from within. This is the main difference between pre-fall and post-fall man.

Jesus was tempted in all points like post-fall man is tempted. This must necessarily include internally generated temptations. It cannot only apply to eternally generated temptations. The reason Jesus was able to be tempted in all points like we are tempted is due to the fact He possessed sinful flesh nature the same as we do. He took both form and nature of fallen man. He realized the strength of perverted appetites and passions. He assumed sinful human nature's temptations - our internal foes, the sins that clamor for mastery.

"It was in the order of God that Christ should take upon himself the form and nature of fallen man, that he might be made perfect through suffering, and endure himself the strength of Satan's temptations, that he might the better know how to succor those who should be tempted. {4aSG 115.3}

"He felt the overwhelming tide of woe that deluged the world. He realized the strength of indulged appetite and unholy passion which controlled the world and had brought upon man inexpressible suffering. {Con 36.2}

"He assumed human nature, with its infirmities, its liabilities, its temptations. (3SM 132)

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #3 - The Reality of His HUMANITY [Re: Mountain Man] #98497
04/22/08 03:54 PM
04/22/08 03:54 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
1.MM, what you are describing in regards to being born again doesn't fit with reality. I was born again when I was 15, and even thought it's been many years, I remember the experience well. A girl presented the Gospel to me, I recognized that Jesus Christ died for my sins, I was convinced these things were true, and realized I had a decision to make. Would I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior or not? Thankfully, I decided in favor.

There was a complete change me, there's no doubt about that. My friends and family couldn't help but notice it. I was interested in reading Scripture, fellowshipping with other Christians, and discovering all I could about Christ.

However, there was none of the long, drawn out process you seem to be describing. I was aware that I was a sinner, and I needed Christ. That was enough. *After* being born again, the Holy Spirit started revealing things to me in regards to my character. There was much that needed changing (and still, believe it or not, I'm still not perfect).

I see nothing in my experience, or the experience of anybody I know, or have read about, that corresponds to what you are suggesting. When I read what others have written about justification by faith, like Waggoner, or Wesley, or Luther, I see that their descriptions match mine.

Ellen White endorsed the teachings of these great men, and I see her writings in regards to justification by faith to be in harmony with theirs.

I see the experience of the publican to be straightforward and easy to understand:

Quote:
13The publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.

14I tell you, this man went down to his house justified. (Luke 9)

Quote:
Given the types of things you list, I am led to ask, What did He reveal to them?

He revealed that they were sinners and needed Christ.

Quote:
MM: Renunciating self is simply another way of saying we must keep the unholy clamorings of sinful flesh nature under the control of a sanctified will and mind.

TE: That's not the focus of the COL quote. She writes that we should pray: Save me in spite of myself, my weak, unchristlike self.

Is this your prayer, MM?

She writes: It is not only at the beginning of the Christian life that this renunciation of self is to be made. At every advance
step heavenward it is to be renewed.

What does this mean to you, Tom? You seem to disagree with what I think it means. Does it mean we regularly become aware of new, hitherto unknown sinful habits and practices that must be confessed and crucified?

She speaks of our confessing like this: "Save me in spite of myself, my weak, unchristlike self." You have suggested that this means that we keep our bodies under subjection, something like that. I think what she means by saying that we should pray "Save me in spite of myself, my weak, unchristlike self." is that we should pray, "Save me in spite of myself, my weak, unchristlike self."

I have no trouble praying this prayer. It expresses the desire of my heart. As EGW describes, if I am saved at last, I have no doubt that it will be due entirely to God's grace, and in spite of my wicked, unChristlike self.

Can you pray the prayer she suggests? If not, this highlights our differences. If so, we may be able to come into harmony on some things.

Quote:
Did Jesus have to regularly renounce inherent selfishness?

If I can phrase the question this way, "Did Jesus have to regularly renounce selfishness?" the answer is "yes," because He assumed our nature and assumed our sins. If by "inherent" you have in mind Christ's sinless nature, the answer is no. If you have in mind Christ's sinful nature, and the sins He assumed in that nature, the answer is yes.

A difficulty I see in the position you are suggesting is that it appears to me that you believe that the more we become like Christ, the less our experience resembles His in regards to repentance. That is, as EGW states things, the closer we come to Christ, the *more* we will repent. However, as you see Christ's experience (please correct any errors here of my characterization of your position), Christ did not repent at all. So as we become more like Him, our experience, in regards to repentance, becomes less and less like His.

Quote:
MM: It in no way means the Holy Spirit keeps us in darkness and ignorance regarding certain sinful behaviors until the day He thinks we are willing and able to confront, confess, and crucify them.

TE: You have a remarkable gift for twisting one's meanings into something else.

And you have a knack for ignoring comments and questions. Plus, you often assume things about me that are wrong and unkind. Please, Tom, simply address the issue and avoid the unsavory insults. Thank you.

You write, "you often assume things about me that are wrong and unkind." Like what? Please don't answer this publicly, but send me a private message. If I've treated you unfairly or unkindly, please let me know how, so I can make amends.

MM, I've pointed out to you many times this thing you do in twisting meanings around. This is not meant as an insult, although I do recognize that they way I wrote things was not kind, and I apologize for that.

It's truly tiring to have to keep rephrasing the things you write. Why can't you just quote what I write? Or, if you're going to rephrase it in your own words, use some common sense, and put it in some way that has some possibility of actually representing what I believe.

I'll give Rosangela as an example. There are many things that she disagrees with me about, but she makes a strong effort to put things accurately, in terms of representing what I believe. Rarely do I have to correct her. And when I do, she accepts the correction, and rephrases how she puts things.

Similarly I attempt to accurately represent her viewpoint (and yours) and not present them in an uncharitable way (I'm not saying I'm perfect at this, but I do try. Almost 100% of the posts I write you I edit, very often adjusting the way I phrase things).

I'm singling her out because we've had so many, and drawn out, discussions, most of which you've been witness to.

Back to our discussion, nowhere have I spoken of the Holy Spirit "keeping us in darkness and ignorance." Surely you can see that this is an unflattering description, can't you?

And you write these sorts of things over and over again, despite repeated protestations.

So, in conclusion:

1.Please accept my apology for bring this to your attention in an uncharitable and unkind manner.

2.Please don't do this anymore.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #3 - The Reality of His HUMANITY [Re: Tom] #98504
04/22/08 05:18 PM
04/22/08 05:18 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:
MM: It [the SOP quote] in no way means the Holy Spirit keeps us in darkness and ignorance regarding certain sinful behaviors until the day He thinks we are willing and able to confront, confess, and crucify them.

Tom, please note that I did not misrepresent your view. Instead, I was talking about what the SOP quote does not mean. You have made it abundantly clear to me in the past you do not believe the Holy Spirit keeps us in darkness or ignorance regarding certain sinful habits and practices.

You have made it clear that the Holy Spirit waits to make us aware of certain sinful habits and practices until He feels we are willing and able to confront, confess, and crucify them. In the meantime, we ignorantly sin against God and man. We are in clueless darkness concerning certain sinful habits and practices.

But, you are quick to say that the sinful habits and practices the Holy Spirit waits to reveal to us are not the types of sins that cause people around us to conclude Christianity is a joke. The sins He winks at and overlooks until the time is right to tell us are the innocuous, less offensive sins, like saying "gee" or behaving in a way the makes someone think we are being impatient.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #3 - The Reality of His HUMANITY [Re: Mountain Man] #98505
04/22/08 05:51 PM
04/22/08 05:51 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:
TE: However, there was none of the long, drawn out process you seem to be describing.

She refers to conversion as "the result of long wooing by the Spirit of God,--a patient, protracted process." The following quotes describe her view nicely:

SD 300
The sins that were practised before conversion, are to be put off, with the old man. With the new man, Christ Jesus, are to be put on "kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering." {SD 300.3}

DA 172
Little by little, perhaps unconsciously to the receiver, impressions are made that tend to draw the soul to Christ. These may be received through meditating upon Him, through reading the Scriptures, or through hearing the word from the living preacher. Suddenly, as the Spirit comes with more direct appeal, the soul gladly surrenders itself to Jesus. By many this is called sudden conversion; but it is the result of long wooing by the Spirit of God,--a patient, protracted process. {DA 172.3}

DA 330
"Learn of Me," says Jesus; "for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest." We are to enter the school of Christ, to learn from Him meekness and lowliness. Redemption is that process by which the soul is trained for heaven. This training means a knowledge of Christ. It means emancipation from ideas, habits, and practices that have been gained in the school of the prince of darkness. The soul must be delivered from all that is opposed to loyalty to God. {DA 330.2}

Quote:
TE: I was aware that I was a sinner, and I needed Christ. That was enough. *After* being born again, the Holy Spirit started revealing things to me in regards to my character. There was much that needed changing (and still, believe it or not, I'm still not perfect).

In light of the quotes posted above, are you sure you experienced the miracle of rebirth the instant you believed in Jesus? She says, "impressions are made that tend to draw the soul to Christ. These may be received through meditating upon Him, through reading the Scriptures, or through hearing the word from the living preacher." These are things that happen before rebirth occurs.

Also, you seem to feel you are not perfect yet because the Holy Spirit still hasn't revealed things about your character that need changing. Are these things that will keep you out of heaven if they are not confessed and crucified? Or, can you take them with you to heaven and work on changing them there? The reason I ask is due to the following insight:

4T 429
The characters formed in this life will determine the future destiny. When Christ shall come, He will not change the character of any individual. Precious, probationary time is given to be improved in washing our robes of character and making them white in the blood of the Lamb. To remove the stains of sin requires the work of a lifetime. Every day renewed efforts in restraining and denying self are needed. Every day there are new battles to fight and victories to be gained. Every day the soul should be called out in earnest pleading with God for the mighty victories of the cross. {4T 429.2}

LDE 295
If you would be a saint in heaven you must first be a saint on earth. The traits of character you cherish in life will not be changed by death or by the resurrection. You will come up from the grave with the same disposition you manifested in your home and in society. Jesus does not change the character at His coming. The work of transformation must be done now. Our daily lives are determining our destiny. Defects of character must be repented of and overcome through the grace of Christ, and a symmetrical character must be formed while in this probationary state, that we may be fitted for the mansions above.--13MR 82 (1891). {LDE 295.1}

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #3 - The Reality of His HUMANITY [Re: Mountain Man] #98522
04/22/08 09:21 PM
04/22/08 09:21 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
In light of the quotes posted above, are you sure you experienced the miracle of rebirth the instant you believed in Jesus?

Yes, I'm sure.

Quote:
3These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.(1 John 5)

Quote:
4For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

15For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.

16The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: (Romans 8)

It's not possible to believe in Jesus and not be born again, because to believe in Jesus is to be born again. That's what the phrase "believe in Jesus" means. It means, to be converted, to be born again, to be justified by faith, to be pardoned, to have the law written in the heart, to be under the New Covenant; to be in Christ; these are all synonyms.

Quote:
She says, "impressions are made that tend to draw the soul to Christ. These may be received through meditating upon Him, through reading the Scriptures, or through hearing the word from the living preacher." These are things that happen before rebirth occurs.

She said these "may" be received through the items she mentioned, but I wasn't doing any of these things. I have no doubt that the Spirit was drawing me unconsciously, but it way by other mechanisms. God is not limited in how He works.

Quote:
Also, you seem to feel you are not perfect yet because the Holy Spirit still hasn't revealed things about your character that need changing.

No, I didn't say this.

Quote:
Are these things that will keep you out of heaven if they are not confessed and crucified? Or, can you take them with you to heaven and work on changing them there? The reason I ask is due to the following insight:

To me the issue is very simple. If we were in God's presence, would we like Him? Would we want to be around Him? Would we long to be in His presence? Would we wish to live by the principles of His government?

GC speaks of this:

Quote:
Could those whose lives have been spent in rebellion against God be suddenly transported to heaven and witness the high, the holy state of perfection that ever exists there,-- every soul filled with love, every countenance beaming with joy, enrapturing music in melodious strains rising in honor of God and the Lamb, and ceaseless streams of light flowing upon the redeemed from the face of Him who sitteth upon the throne,--could those whose hearts are filled with hatred of God, of truth and holiness, mingle with the heavenly throng and join their songs of praise? Could they endure the glory of God and the Lamb? No, no; years of probation were granted them, that they might form characters for heaven; but they have never trained the mind to love purity; they have never learned the language of heaven, and now it is too late. A life of rebellion against God has unfitted them for heaven. Its purity, holiness, and peace would be torture to them; the glory of God would be a consuming fire. They would long to flee from that holy place. They would welcome destruction, that they might be hidden from the face of Him who died to redeem them. The destiny of the wicked is fixed by their own choice. Their exclusion from heaven is voluntary with themselves, and just and merciful on the part of God. (GC 542, 543)

So I'll be in the one group or the other; either I'll long to flee from God, or long to be in His presence. My disposition one way or the other will decide my destiny.

She also writes:

Quote:
It is not the fear of punishment, or the hope of everlasting reward, that leads the disciples of Christ to follow Him. They behold the Saviour's matchless love, revealed throughout His pilgrimage on earth, from the manger of Bethlehem to Calvary's cross, and the sight of Him attracts, it softens and subdues the soul. Love awakens in the heart of the beholders. They hear His voice, and they follow Him. (DA 480)

What should motivate us in following Christ is not whether or not we will be saved, but the loveliness of His character.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #3 - The Reality of His HUMANITY [Re: Tom] #98523
04/22/08 10:02 PM
04/22/08 10:02 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
MM: It [the SOP quote] in no way means the Holy Spirit keeps us in darkness and ignorance regarding certain sinful behaviors until the day He thinks we are willing and able to confront, confess, and crucify them.

Tom, please note that I did not misrepresent your view. Instead, I was talking about what the SOP quote does not mean.

I went back and looked, and you were responding to what I had said, so the natural reading of your remark is that you were responding to my position. That is, the thing immediately preceding your comments was not an SOP quote, but something I said.

Quote:
You have made it abundantly clear to me in the past you do not believe the Holy Spirit keeps us in darkness or ignorance regarding certain sinful habits and practices.

The Holy Spirit doesn't keep anyone in darkness or ignorance. Our ignorance is due to ourselves, not to the Holy Spirit.

Quote:
You have made it clear that the Holy Spirit waits to make us aware of certain sinful habits and practices until He feels we are willing and able to confront, confess, and crucify them.

There wouldn't be much point in bringing something to someone's attention that they are unable to understand, would there?

Quote:
In the meantime, we ignorantly sin against God and man. We are in clueless darkness concerning certain sinful habits and practices.

But, you are quick to say that the sinful habits and practices the Holy Spirit waits to reveal to us are not the types of sins that cause people around us to conclude Christianity is a joke.

I never said anything about people concluding Christianity is a joke. I wish you wouldn't do this. You recast the way I put things in a distasteful way.

Quote:
The sins He winks at and overlooks until the time is right to tell us are the innocuous, less offensive sins, like saying "gee" or behaving in a way the makes someone think we are being impatient.

This whole way of looking at things is moot, I think. The important thing is our relationship to God. Do we love Him? What do we think of Him? What do we think of the principles of His government, which is to say, the way He treats people? Is it attractive? Is that the way we want to live? Do we want to be His friend?

By beholding Christ, we become changed into His image. The Holy Spirit will reveal to us the behaviors we need to focus on in due time. If we offend someone by being unChristlike is some way, He will bring that to our attention.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #3 - The Reality of His HUMANITY [Re: Tom] #98532
04/23/08 01:22 AM
04/23/08 01:22 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, I just realized we are off topic, so I went back to see where we got off track. The basis our current discussion is the following exchange between Rosangela and I:

Quote:
MM: If we keep under subjection the clamorings of our fallen flesh nature, if we do not cherish them or act them out, do they contaminate our character in any way? If not, why not?

R: I don't know if this contaminates my character, but what I do know is that when I become aware of a selfish impulse/attitude/thought, I realize how depraved my heart is, and ask God to change it.

I asked Rosangela if the clamorings of fallen flesh nature contaminate character, and she answered, I don't know. Then she switched gears and spoke about depraved hearts. She believes the origin of selfish impulses, attitudes, thoughts is a depraved heart. She does not believe sinful flesh nature can generate or communicate them.

You, on the other hand, believe something different, right? But I'm not sure what you believe. What is the difference between a depraved, unregenerate heart and sinful flesh nature? Or, are they one and the same thing?

Also, what is the difference between our old heart and the new heart Jesus implants when we are born again?

And, how does all this relate to the human heart and human nature of Jesus?

Reply Quote
Page 8 of 27 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 26 27
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/30/24 10:34 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:07 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!