HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,596
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 14
kland 9
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
4 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, 1 invisible), 3,202 guests, and 11 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 27 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 26 27
Re: Lesson #3 - The Reality of His HUMANITY [Re: Mountain Man] #98471
04/21/08 03:33 PM
04/21/08 03:33 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:
TE: A couple of questions come to mind. First of all, you believe that we are born with inherited tendencies to sin, but Christ was not (please correct any misrepresentations of your views). Yet Ellen White affirms that Christ demonstrated that we can perfectly obey God's law. How so? If He had no inherited tendencies to sin, and we do, we could validly claim that He only demonstrated that unfallen human beings (albeit tired, hungry and thirsty ones) with no inherited tendencies to sin could so, but not that humans such as we are could do so.

R: But this is not a valid excuse, because Ellen White doesn’t seem to see any difference in this respect between pre-fall man and humans such as we are.

Jesus didn't demonstrate how unconverted sinners can obey the law. Instead, He demonstrated how born again believers can obey the law. There is a huge difference between sinners before and after rebirth.

Jesus began life as a human in the same state born again believers begin their new life of partaking of the divine nature, walking in the Spirit and mind of the new man. He was born, as it were, born again. We begin at rebirth where He began at birth.

Jesus' inherited tendencies, inclinations, propensities warred against Him in the exact same way they war against born again believers. Nevertheless, there was not one sinful propensity in Him that He cherished or craved. Jesus was repulsed by the sinful suggestions and clamorings that tempted Him from within.

Reply Quote
Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Re: Lesson #3 - The Reality of His HUMANITY [Re: Mountain Man] #98474
04/21/08 03:44 PM
04/21/08 03:44 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Tom, are you implying that after we pray for a new heart and mind that the one Jesus gives us when we experience rebirth is also desperately wicked and deceitful?

A new heart and mind refers to the process of conversion. Do you agree?

Our heart refers to our innermost desires. Upon being converted, our desires become to live in harmony with God, and with the principles by which He runs His government. At the same time, we still have much to learn and unlearn. Millions of selfish decisions we have made in our lifetimes have an impact on us, and we need to be healed from these things. This healing doesn't happen in an instant.

Quote:
Renunciating self is simply another way of saying we must keep the unholy clamorings of sinful flesh nature under the control of a sanctified will and mind.

That's not the focus of the COL quote. She writes that we should pray:

Quote:
Save me in spite of myself, my weak, unchristlike self.

Is this your prayer, MM?

She writes:

Quote:
It is not only at the beginning of the Christian life that this renunciation of self is to be made. At every advance
step heavenward it is to be renewed.

Quote:
Jesus demonstrated how to subdue these types of inherited besetting sins.

Agreed (although, not the focus of the COL quotes).

Quote:
It in no way means the Holy Spirit keeps us in darkness and ignorance regarding certain sinful behaviors until the day He thinks we are willing and able to confront, confess, and crucify them.

You have a remarkable gift for twisting one's meanings into something else.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #3 - The Reality of His HUMANITY [Re: Tom] #98477
04/21/08 04:19 PM
04/21/08 04:19 PM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
You're assuming it's possible that He could have had temptations as strong as ours even though He didn't take a nature like ours.

Read my argument again. The argument does not rest on His nature, whether fallen or unfallen. There are only 3 premises:
  • Jesus' temptations were 100 times stronger than any of us will ever face.
  • Jesus' hereditary tendencies to wrong were not the worst in history.
  • Jesus' cultivated tendencies to wrong were nonexistent.

If these three are correct, I can prove with mathematical certainty that Jesus' external temptations were 99 times stronger than His internal ones. Do you agree, at least, that the logic is valid, i.e., assuming the premises are true, the conclusion must also be true?

Of these three premises, your only beef is with the strength of His cultivated tendencies, which you believe came from the sins of humanity. I'll address that next time.

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #3 - The Reality of His HUMANITY [Re: Tom] #98479
04/21/08 04:44 PM
04/21/08 04:44 PM
Rosangela  Offline
5500+ Member
Brazil
 Quote:
Jones didn't say anything about Christ taking a selfish human nature, did he?

You said this, in your post # 98158. I used your terminology. Do you hold the same view as Jones or a different view?
The point is, Ellen White says we received selfishness as an inheritance. Besides, selfishness is the essence of sin, so a sinful human nature is a selfish human nature. Now, this selfishness can’t refer to the body, but just to the mind. How can selfishness be excluded from the mind of a Christ who took a sinful (selfish) nature?

Quote:
Every doctrinal issue was treated publicly, as it should be. Can you give even one example of an important doctrinal issue being treated by her writing a private letter?

I can give several examples of people who held doctrinal errors which she didn’t correct through a private message. After she wrote The Desire of Ages semi-arian views continued to be presented in our periodicals and books and she didn’t correct the authors. Uriah Smith held wrong prophetic views in his book and she recommended it, instead of pointing out its errors. In 1888 she wrote she disagreed with some points Waggoner had presented, but never wrote him, nor did she mention which these points were.

Quote:
If you look at how Haskell and Waggoner addressed the Holy Flesh movement fallacy, they argued against the idea that Christ took the nature of Adam before the fall as having to do with our inherited tendencies to sin, not with having to do with grey hair.

This is not true. The body-related aspect seemed to be one of the most prominent aspects of the movement and they addressed it.
http://egwdatabase.whiteestate.org/nxt/g...hapter15023.htm

http://egwdatabase.whiteestate.org/nxt/g...hapter13927.htm

It’s interesting that through the above links we can see that Ellen White addressed the noise and confusion which characterized the meetings. She also addressed fables such as that the blind, the deaf, the lame, the deformed, will not receive the seal of God and that we are to pray that colored hair or gray hair shall become black. She also addressed the possibility of obtaining holy flesh in this world, saying that it would lead to the claim that those who possessed it could not sin, and saying that we will always have to fight tendencies to wrong. But, interestingly, she didn’t address the issue of Christ’s nature.

Quote:
R: No, she doesn’t say it, but if everybody was born without the taint of sin, why would she mention this about Christ? It would be a strange remark, like saying that Christ was born with two hands. Anyway, what would this mean? That Christ was born without having already sinned? How can someone be born having already sinned?
T: This is just another example of why it's such a poor idea to try to form doctrine out of a private letter! We don't know what Baker was teaching, so the question as to why Ellen White wrote the things she did to Baker is difficult to answer.

She didn’t write this to Baker, but to "My Brethren in North Fitzroy" (November 18, 1898), and she doesn’t seem to be correcting them, but just making a doctrinal remark.

Quote:
Ok, it's fine for you to ask me the question, but it would be nice if you would answer mine. I don't really follow what you're asking me, but in regards to the question I asked, no, I don't believe in original sin.

No, I don’t believe Adam’s sin is imputed to his posterity, but I do believe God condemns the sinful nature with which we are born. That’s why babies need a Savior.

Quote:
Regarding Satan's accusations that man could not keep the law, it simply makes no sense to interpret this as applying to man in his pre-fallen condition. Who would think that God could be so incompetent as to create a being who could not obey Him?

I provided the context of the quote. How can you contest what is clear?
Besides, Satan had declared in the opening of the great controversy that it was impossible to obey the law, even for angels – this was his excuse for transgressing it. Thus, evidently his logic is different from yours.

Quote:
Of course she saw the difference. In the temptations in the wilderness, she emphasized that it was not as Adam stood in his innocence that Christ came, but after 4,000 years of sin. She wouldn't have emphasized this point if it made no difference.

Your point had been that, if Christ did not have tendencies to sin, we could claim that He didn’t demonstrate that it’s possible for us to obey the law and use this as an excuse. This is not true because, although circumstances make it less difficult or more difficult to obey under temptation, the strength of the temptation is not only determined by the weakness of one’s resistance, but also by Satan’s deceptive power.

Quote:
This isn't a question of human nature. Adam, before the fall, with an unfallen nature, could be (and was) overcome by temptation. Her comments had to do with Christ's human nature, so my question still stands.

No, for it’s evident that the subject is the same. Compare the quotes:

Letters have been coming in to me, affirming that Christ could not have had the same nature as man, for if he had, he would have fallen under similar temptations. If he did not have man's nature, he could not be our example. If he was not a partaker of our nature, he could not have been tempted as man has been. If it were not possible for him to yield to temptation, he could not be our helper. It was a solemn reality that Christ came to fight the battles as man, in man's behalf. His temptation and victory tell us that humanity must copy the Pattern; man must become a partaker of the divine nature. (1888 Mat. 533)

Many claim that it was impossible for Christ to be overcome by temptation. Then He could not have been placed in Adam's position; He could not have gained the victory that Adam failed to gain. If we have in any sense a more trying conflict than had Christ, then He would not be able to succor us. But our Saviour took humanity, with all its liabilities. He took the nature of man, with the possibility of yielding to temptation. We have nothing to bear which He has not endured. {DA 117.2}

In the quote you posted, notice that Ellen White is by no means analyzing if Christ’s nature was fallen or unfallen, but the fact that He took “man’s nature,” otherwise “He could not have been tempted as man has been.” As far as I know, man could be tempted both before and after his fall, so she is here speaking of the human condition, not of a pre-fall or post-fall condition.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #3 - The Reality of His HUMANITY [Re: Rosangela] #98480
04/21/08 08:50 PM
04/21/08 08:50 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
You said this, in your post # 98158.

Right, I said this. I said, "I suppose one could say ..."

Quote:
I used your terminology. Do you hold the same view as Jones or a different view?

AFAIK, my view is the same, but the comment was mine, so I wouldn't want to ascribe it to someone else.

Quote:
The point is, Ellen White says we received selfishness as an inheritance. Besides, selfishness is the essence of sin, so a sinful human nature is a selfish human nature. Now, this selfishness can’t refer to the body, but just to the mind. How can selfishness be excluded from the mind of a Christ who took a sinful (selfish) nature?

Christ took our nature, along with "all its hereditary inclinations," which includes inclinations to being selfish. However, Christ, unlike ourselves, perfectly denied Himself. He "please not Himself" (Rom. 15:3).

Quote:
I can give several examples of people who held doctrinal errors which she didn’t correct through a private message.

That's not what's needed. What's needed is an important doctrinal error which she corrected privately but not publicly.

Quote:
After she wrote The Desire of Ages semi-arian views continued to be presented in our periodicals and books and she didn’t correct the authors.

There was never any controversy regarding Christ's human nature, though. We only had one view. If some one given person were out of step, there would be no reason for her not to correct him or her, as she demonstrated with Baker. (i.e., she would have to treat the situation as delicately as she would the Arian question).

Quote:
Uriah Smith held wrong prophetic views in his book and she recommended it, instead of pointing out its errors.

That was a whole book, though. If Uriah Smith had presented an article in the Review and Herald, about some specific thing, like Turkey and the King of the North, and EGW endorsed that, one could certainly validly conclude that she was endorsing Uriah Smith's view on that particular thing, given that this this was the subject and focal point of the article. In the case of W. W. Prescott's sermon, the sermon was entitled "The Word Made Flesh," and the them was that Christ took our flesh, exactly the same as ours, and he repeated that point to make sure his hearers got it, over and over again, over 30 times.

Quote:
In 1888 she wrote she disagreed with some points Waggoner had presented, but never wrote him, nor did she mention which these points were.

She allowed for the possibility that she was in error. She was trying to promote a spirit of investigation amongst those who were opposing Waggoner.

Quote:
This is not true. The body-related aspect seemed to be one of the most prominent aspects of the movement and they addressed it.

That's a 10 page article. It would be kind if you would quote the specific point you were wishing to make. I did a search on "Waggoner" and found nothing, so I can't see how your assertion can possibly be true in regards to him, since he is apparently not even referenced by the article.

I did see that Haskell was involved, and saw that Ellen White was asked certain questions, like this one:

Quote:
Is it possible to get where we will not be tempted from within before Christ comes? . . . {5BIO 103.6}

It makes sense that they would ask this question, since they believed that Christ took Adam's nature before the fall, instead of after the fall, like SDA's at the time believed. Haskell wrote:

Quote:
Their point of theology in this particular respect seems to be this: They believe that Christ took Adam’s nature before He fell; so He took humanity as it was in the garden of Eden; and thus humanity was holy, and this was the humanity which Christ had; and now, they say, the particular time has come for us to become holy in that same sense, and then we will have "translation faith"; and never die"

which is the point I was making.

Haskell also commented:

Quote:
But when we stated that we believed that Christ was born in fallen humanity, they would represent us as believing that Christ sinned, notwithstanding the fact that we would state our position so clearly that it would seem as though no one could misunderstand us.

which is very interesting, since the same thing happens today.

Regarding Waggoner, can you produce any statement of his where he deals with the "prominent" aspects of the Holy Flesh movement, that is, involving the body, because I am aware of no such statement, and the articles you referenced didn't have any.

At any rate, Haskell quoted Ellen White in the Desire of Ages, and commented that Christ took our nature, with all its inherited inclinations, and this was to disprove the view of the Holy Flesh people. Whether they included grey hair or whatever in their view is a moot point, in regards to the point I was making, which is that Ellen White was understood by her contemporaries as believing, and teaching, that Christ took our fallen nature, with all its inherited inclinations.

The links were interesting.

Quote:
No, I don’t believe Adam’s sin is imputed to his posterity, but I do believe God condemns the sinful nature with which we are born. That’s why babies need a Savior.

So if God did not condemn our sinful natures, babies wouldn't need a Savior? It's too bad that God does that then.

Quote:
I provided the context of the quote. How can you contest what is clear?

Because what you are suggesting makes no sense. God could not create a being capable of creating Him? Who would believe that?

Quote:
Besides, Satan had declared in the opening of the great controversy that it was impossible to obey the law, even for angels – this was his excuse for transgressing it. Thus, evidently his logic is different from yours.

I think Satan's purpose was to misrepresent God's character by deception, by representing God as being as he (Satan) was, and by so doing to deceive angels and men, so that they would pay homage to himself (Satan). Satan represents the law as unjust, and tries to lead people into disobedience. The reason for his trying to show the law is unjust is to try to show that God is unjust.

Nobody has any doubt that the law can be kept by unfallen beings. Millions of worlds, and billions of angels have been keeping the law for eons.

Quote:
T:Of course she saw the difference. In the temptations in the wilderness, she emphasized that it was not as Adam stood in his innocence that Christ came, but after 4,000 years of sin. She wouldn't have emphasized this point if it made no difference.

R:Your point had been that, if Christ did not have tendencies to sin, we could claim that He didn’t demonstrate that it’s possible for us to obey the law and use this as an excuse.

I'm very careful not to say that Christ had tendencies to sin. EGW counsels us to be careful in how we discuss these things, and I believe that counsel is well-founded. Christ took our fallen nature, with its tendencies to sins. The problem with saying that "Christ had tendencies to sin" is that this can be misconstrued to mean that Christ sinned, and I want to be very careful not to give that impression.

Quote:
This is not true because, although circumstances make it less difficult or more difficult to obey under temptation, the strength of the temptation is not only determined by the weakness of one’s resistance, but also by Satan’s deceptive power.

Your logic here doesn't follow. I am arguing that one cannot argue A because of B. You are saying my argument isn't true because what makes A hard to do is also C. So what? The fact that C also makes A hard, doesn't imply that B doesn't.

IOW, you are saying that my point that one could argue that Christ did not demonstrate that one with a fallen human nature could keep the law if Christ did not take a fallen human nature is not true because in addition the difficulty of one's temptation being affected by "the weakness of one’s resistance" it's also affected by "Satan’s deceptive power." This has no logical impact on my argument. It could "also" be affected by 1,000 other things, and the point I made would still be valid.

Not only is the point valid, but it's one that Adventists commonly made.

Quote:
This isn't a question of human nature. Adam, before the fall, with an unfallen nature, could be (and was) overcome by temptation. Her comments had to do with Christ's human nature, so my question still stands.

No, for it’s evident that the subject is the same. Compare the quotes:

This is just a minor point, but sometimes I miss a bit of the context of our conversation, so I have to go back and hunt to see what it is. I may do the same thing to you as well, but I try to include enough of the context of our conversation so you can answer just by looking at what I provided.

Here's a bit more of the context:

Quote:
R:What many evangelicals hold, that is, that it was impossible for Christ to be overcome by temptation

T:This isn't a question of human nature. Adam, before the fall, with an unfallen nature, could be (and was) overcome by temptation. Her comments had to do with Christ's human nature, so my question still stands. The position of those questioning her would have been the same as yours. If EGW's position were the same as yours, and different from Jones and Waggoner's, her response makes no sense.

Ellen White wrote that letters had been coming to her questioning how Christ could have taken our nature. She responded:

Quote:
If he was not a partaker of our nature, he could not have been tempted as man has been. If it were not possible for him to yield to temptation, he could not be our helper. It was a solemn reality that Christ came to fight the battles as man, in man's behalf. His temptation and victory tell us that humanity must copy the Pattern; man must become a partaker of the divine nature.

She is explaining two things here:

1.That Christ took our nature.
2.Why that is important.

We know what Jones and Waggoner preached! They preached that Christ took our fallen nature. That was an essential part of their message on righteousness by faith. People had questions regarding this. So Ellen White responce explains why it was important that Christ took our nature.

I don't see how your explanation makes no sense on the face of it, because she writes, "Letters have been coming in to me, affirming that Christ could not have had the same nature as man...." This has to mean that man took fallen nature because:

1.That's what Jones and Waggoner preached, and this was a point many had questions about.
2.Nobody questions that Christ was a man.

IOW, when the statement is made, "Christ could not have had man's nature, because then He would have fallen to temptation," this has to be understood as "Christ could not have had man's fallen nature, because then He would have fallen to temptation," because this is the question that people really have! I've never met anyone who questions that Christ was a man. (i.e. took man's nature, as in man vs. something different than man) However, many question that He took our fallen nature.

One needs to keep in mind the context of her statement, which is that she was preaching side by side with Jones and Waggoner.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #3 - The Reality of His HUMANITY [Re: Tom] #98481
04/21/08 09:16 PM
04/21/08 09:16 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Read my argument again. The argument does not rest on His nature, whether fallen or unfallen. There are only 3 premises:

* Jesus' temptations were 100 times stronger than any of us will ever face.
* Jesus' hereditary tendencies to wrong were not the worst in history.
* Jesus' cultivated tendencies to wrong were nonexistent.

If these three are correct, I can prove with mathematical certainty that Jesus' external temptations were 99 times stronger than His internal ones.

Please do so. Prove it mathematically.

Quote:
Do you agree, at least, that the logic is valid, i.e., assuming the premises are true, the conclusion must also be true?

Your argument seems to make no allowance for the fact that Christ bore our sins as He was being tempted. His bearing our sins accounts for our cultivated tendencies to evil. He bore *all* of our tendencies to evil, which is what made His temptations so difficult. We only have the cultivated tendencies or ourselves to worry about. That, in combination with the fact that He did this while taking our sinful nature. It was that combination that made His temptations immeasurably stronger than our own (The 100 shouldn't be taken literally; I'm sure His temptations were more than 100 times more difficult than ours).

Quote:
Of these three premises, your only beef is with the strength of His cultivated tendencies, which you believe came from the sins of humanity. I'll address that next time.

I think the first one is understated.

I'm not sure about the second one. Is there some statement which says that Christ's hereditary tendencies were less than ours? If you include as "hereditary tendencies" non-genetic factors, such as the mother using drugs, I would agree.

You mentioned the third, so I'll bait my breath and await your comment.

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #3 - The Reality of His HUMANITY [Re: Tom] #98485
04/22/08 06:44 AM
04/22/08 06:44 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
 Quote:

* Jesus' temptations were 100 times stronger than any of us will ever face.
* Jesus' hereditary tendencies to wrong were not the worst in history.
* Jesus' cultivated tendencies to wrong were nonexistent.

If these three are correct, I can prove with mathematical certainty that Jesus' external temptations were 99 times stronger than His internal ones.

Please do so. Prove it mathematically.

You mentioned the third, so I'll bait my breath and await your comment.

You can take the hook out now. ;\)

Let JIH = Jesus' Internal temptations by Heredity
Let JIC = Jesus' Internal temptations by Cultivation
Let JE = Jesus' External temptations
Let WIH = Worst person's Internal temptations by Heredity
Let WIC = Worst person's Internal temptations by Cultivation
Let WE = Worst person's External temptations

Jesus' total temptations = 100 * Worst person's total temptations
JIH + JIC + JE = 100(WIH + WIC + WE)

JIC = 0 (because He did not cultivate any sins)
JIH + JE = 100(WIH + WIC + WE)

Given: WIH > JIH, and both are non-negative
WIH + JE > 100(WIH + WIC + WE)

after some combining of terms
JE > 99WIH + 100WIC + 100WE

because WIC and WE are both non-negative, we can simplify
JE > 99WIH

because WIH > JIH, we can substitute
JE > 99JIH

There, Jesus' external temptations were more than 99 times His internal hereditary temptations. From here, it is trivial to show that His internal hereditary temptations were less than 1% of His external temptations.

If we want, we can show that JIH is significantly less than 1% of His total temptations. First, 100WIC + 100WE, which we removed for simplicity of the proof, is much bigger than 0, and very likely to be much bigger than 99JIH. Second, you are correct that the temptations Christ faced were more than 100 times what we face -> the ratio JE/JIH gets bigger. (It is left as an exercise to the reader to prove that, if necessary.)

By God's grace,
Arnold

There is no excuse for any one in taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of Scripture are without an error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation. RH 12/20/1892
Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #3 - The Reality of His HUMANITY [Re: Tom] #98486
04/22/08 06:56 AM
04/22/08 06:56 AM
asygo  Offline
SDA
Active Member 2023

5500+ Member
California, USA
Your argument seems to make no allowance for the fact that Christ bore our sins as He was being tempted. His bearing our sins accounts for our cultivated tendencies to evil.

There is allowance for imputed sins and tendencies, but it would be counted as coming from an external source, since such tendencies cannot be attributed to "the great law of heredity" or to personal cultivation of sin.

He bore *all* of our tendencies to evil, which is what made His temptations so difficult. We only have the cultivated tendencies or ourselves to worry about. That, in combination with the fact that He did this while taking our sinful nature. It was that combination that made His temptations immeasurably stronger than our own (The 100 shouldn't be taken literally; I'm sure His temptations were more than 100 times more difficult than ours).

There's a SOP quote that says His temptations were more than 100 times greater than ours.

However, what you just wrote makes my argument stronger. If the strength of His temptations are to be attributed to His taking our sins, then it cannot be attributed to His taking humanity after 4000 years of degradation. My humanity has 6000 years of degradation, but I only deal with my own sins. Therefore, His example of overcoming temptations is not founded on "the great law of heredity," regardless of how often postlapsarians invoke it.

Furthermore, the example that is paramount is not in how strong His temptations were (which none of us will ever face), but in how strong His power is (which all of us have within our reach). If we would submit to God as He did, then we can have the power that He did, and walk as He walked. No matter how fallen our flesh may be, His grace is sufficient.

By God's grace,
Arnold

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #3 - The Reality of His HUMANITY [Re: Daryl] #98488
04/22/08 09:27 AM
04/22/08 09:27 AM
Tammy Roesch  Offline
North East OHIO
 Originally Posted By: Daryl Fawcett
I think the following EGW quote that Rosangela posted earlier bears repeating here with some bolded emphasis added:

“Be careful, exceedingly careful as to how you dwell upon the human nature of Christ. Do not set Him before the people as a man with the propensities of sin. He is the second Adam. The first Adam was created a pure, sinless being, without a taint of sin upon him; he was in the image of God. He could fall, and he did fall through transgressing. Because of sin, his posterity was born with inherent propensities of disobedience. But Jesus Christ was the only begotten Son of God. He took upon Himself human nature, and was tempted in all points as human nature is tempted. He could have sinned; He could have fallen, but not for one moment was there in Him an evil propensity. He was assailed with temptations in the wilderness, as Adam was assailed with temptations in Eden.” {13MR 18.1}

The above quote clearly states that Christ did NOT have in Him an evil propensity, NOT even for one moment, therefore, we should lay that thought to rest.

That quote says IT ALL, Daryl....

If people just believed that statement....most of this discussion wouldn't even be taking place....

Christ is waiting with longing desire for the manifestation of Himself in His church. When the character of Christ shall be perfectly reproduced in His people, then He will come to claim them as His own. {COL 69}

Reply Quote
Re: Lesson #3 - The Reality of His HUMANITY [Re: Tammy Roesch] #98489
04/22/08 12:28 PM
04/22/08 12:28 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Arthur, regarding post #98485, very cool!

Reply Quote
Page 7 of 27 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 26 27
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/25/24 09:37 AM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 04/01/24 08:10 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/24/24 02:15 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Time Is Short!
by ProdigalOne. 03/29/24 10:50 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!