HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,628
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Daryl
Daryl
Nova Scotia, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, Nadi, 3 invisible), 3,109 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: work for the church [Re: Skylynx] #98429
04/20/08 03:32 AM
04/20/08 03:32 AM
C
crater  Offline
Veteran Member
United States
My thoughts are also that some manipulation could be going on.

Re: work for the church [Re: fun2believe] #98431
04/20/08 03:36 AM
04/20/08 03:36 AM
C
crater  Offline
Veteran Member
United States
Hey fun2believe,

Nice to see you back on the forum.

Re: work for the church [Re: Skylynx] #98433
04/20/08 04:41 AM
04/20/08 04:41 AM
F
fun2believe  Offline
California, USA
MM:Does God expect us to work free for the church or for His causes? Or, does He promise the laborer is worthy of his hire?

F2B:He does indeed promise a just reward, and you will get it when you meet up with Him!

I think all injustices should be brought to light, if that is infact what they are. You can't make something right if you dont' know it's wrong.

Re: work for the church [Re: fun2believe] #98473
04/21/08 03:43 PM
04/21/08 03:43 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
F2B, thanx for answering my question. In some cases, payment for what we do for the church will be received in heaven. But in Skylynx's case, he should be paid for the print work while here on earth. He needs the money.

Re: work for the church [Re: Mountain Man] #98650
04/25/08 05:49 PM
04/25/08 05:49 PM
F
fun2believe  Offline
California, USA
But how do we KNOW he needs the money? I'm not saying he's making that up, but what if this is the work of the Lord? What if this is a trial, something God is teaching? Is it right for US to decide what is right, or is it up to God to decide? What if God does not want him to have the reward now, but later in heaven? Personally I think he should be paid for work done as well, but I'm sure I don't have all the answers to others questions, I'm just human.

And in general, when should we listen to man, and when should we take the advice of God over man?

Re: work for the church [Re: fun2believe] #98655
04/25/08 07:33 PM
04/25/08 07:33 PM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
F2B: And in general, when should we listen to man, and when should we take the advice of God over man?

MM: When we know the difference, right? Sometimes they coincide and sometimes they conflict. When they conflict, and we're sure about it, we must adhere to God's counsel and advice. Otherwise, we should probably hold our peace. Silence is golden when words are worthless and worldly.

Re: work for the church [Re: Mountain Man] #98663
04/25/08 08:19 PM
04/25/08 08:19 PM
F
fun2believe  Offline
California, USA
Yeah, but how do we know the difference? Is there anything to use as a gauge? What if they conflict for me, but not my pastor? Or what if most people agree, but others don't?

What if we take the advice of someone we respect, and feel is correct, but learn later that they were wrong, or have done some very serious offenses against God?

I love to look to those older and wiser than myself, but how do I know when to listen to them or God?

Re: work for the church [Re: Mountain Man] #98664
04/25/08 08:20 PM
04/25/08 08:20 PM
F
fun2believe  Offline
California, USA
Yeah, but how do we know the difference? Is there anything to use as a gauge? What if they conflict for me, but not my pastor? Or what if most people agree, but others don't?

What if we take the advice of someone we respect, and feel is correct, but learn later that they were wrong, or have done some very serious offenses against God?

I love to look to those older and wiser than myself, but how do I know when to listen to them or God?

Re: work for the church [Re: Skylynx] #98665
04/25/08 08:31 PM
04/25/08 08:31 PM
Rick H  Offline
Group: Admin Team
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
 Originally Posted By: Skylynx
Don't know where else to post this, but here goes. I bought an industrial printing press to do work for my SDA church. I make 40,000 post cards every few months and a church member gives me $900 to do it, which is what they paid an outside print shop to do it before I came along.

The paper costs about $300 and there is the cost of ink, running a big dehumidifyer and air conditioner especially for the machines.

I make less than 50% profit off of this and takes days each week in labor. Now I have been told this is "tithe money" and given the guilts for the profit part of the deal.

Some people at the church already think I'm a spineless wus because I do a lot of other work for the church free. I like donating my labor to the church but I feel this is going too far in expecting someone to donate. I think it's wrong to deny me any profit from making the postcards just because I'm a member of the church, and the funds are called "tithe".

I decided to give the whole card making job back to the church member who foots the bill. He can find someone else in town. Am I wrong here? I would appreciate comments on this by as many of you who will.

You are a professional printer, they must pay you a agreed upon amount. At that point you can give the profit back as offering or a 10% for tithe or more as you decide in you heart. Whether you make a profit or loss is none of their concern.

Church members/pastors can be hustlers as well as outright con artists trying to get a better price or deal out of other church member. It is dishonest, unchristian, and in some cases rises to the level of robbing a person of their money or panhandling.

Dont let them shame you, con you or force you to give one penny that you do not decide on your own. It is wrong for the pastor try to force more money out of his members from the pulpit, and it is wrong for him or a deacon, elder, or member to try to force money out of another member in business, at home, or in the street.Anyone that tries to do that should get just a nice "Thanks for asking, but no".

Now if they ask upfront at the start in a honest and loving manner with sincerity and you feel impressed to give, that is another matter, and you must decide as the Spirit moves your heart...

Just in case they arent clear on the concept of a offering or tithe, be prepared to enlighthen them.....

Main Entry: of·fer·ing
Pronunciation: \ˈȯ-f(ə-)riŋ, ˈä-\
Function: noun
Date: before 12th century
1 a: the act of one who offers b: something offered; especially : a sacrifice ceremonially offered as a part of worship c: a contribution to the support of a church
2: something offered for sale or patronage <latest offerings of the leading novelists>
3: a course of instruction or study

Main Entry: 1tithe
Pronunciation: \ˈtīth\
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): tithed; tith·ing
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English teogothian, from teogotha tenth
Date: before 12th century
transitive verb
1 : to pay or give a tenth part of especially for the support of the church
2 : to levy a tithe on
intransitive verb
: to give a tenth of one's income as a tithe

Last edited by Richard; 04/25/08 09:55 PM.
Re: work for the church [Re: Rick H] #98670
04/25/08 08:54 PM
04/25/08 08:54 PM
Rick H  Offline
Group: Admin Team
3000+ Member
Florida, USA
If they need scripture, begin with the following...

15 "You shall not steal.

16 "You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor.

17 "You shall not covet your neighbor's house. You shall not covet your neighbor's wife, or his manservant or maidservant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor."

The Parable of the Workers in the Vineyard
1"For the kingdom of heaven is like a landowner who went out early in the morning to hire men to work in his vineyard. 2He agreed to pay them a denarius for the day and sent them into his vineyard.
3"About the third hour he went out and saw others standing in the marketplace doing nothing. 4He told them, 'You also go and work in my vineyard, and I will pay you whatever is right.' 5So they went.

"He went out again about the sixth hour and the ninth hour and did the same thing. 6About the eleventh hour he went out and found still others standing around. He asked them, 'Why have you been standing here all day long doing nothing?'

7" 'Because no one has hired us,' they answered.
"He said to them, 'You also go and work in my vineyard.'

8"When evening came, the owner of the vineyard said to his foreman, 'Call the workers and pay them their wages, beginning with the last ones hired and going on to the first.'

9"The workers who were hired about the eleventh hour came and each received a denarius. 10So when those came who were hired first, they expected to receive more. But each one of them also received a denarius. 11When they received it, they began to grumble against the landowner. 12'These men who were hired last worked only one hour,' they said, 'and you have made them equal to us who have borne the burden of the work and the heat of the day.'

13"But he answered one of them, 'Friend, I am not being unfair to you. Didn't you agree to work for a denarius? 14Take your pay and go. I want to give the man who was hired last the same as I gave you. 15Don't I have the right to do what I want with my own money? Or are you envious because I am generous?'

Never should a member be coerced out of his agreed upon wages........

Last edited by Richard; 04/25/08 09:56 PM.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!