HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,638
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 21
kland 6
Daryl 2
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
Rick H
Rick H
Florida, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, TheophilusOne, Daryl, 2 invisible), 3,257 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 35 of 47 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 46 47
Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Tom] #98934
05/01/08 04:18 PM
05/01/08 04:18 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
Regarding post #98860

Quote:
I saw that the four angels would hold the four winds until Jesus' work was done in the sanctuary, and then will come the seven last plagues. (EW 36)

Quote:
When He leaves the sanctuary, darkness covers the inhabitants of the earth. In that fearful time the righteous must live in the sight of a holy God without an intercessor. The restraint which has been upon the wicked is removed, and Satan has entire control of the finally impenitent. God's long-suffering has ended. The world has rejected His mercy, despised His love, and trampled upon His law. The wicked have passed the boundary of their probation; the Spirit of God, persistently resisted, has been at last withdrawn. Unsheltered by divine grace, they have no protection from the wicked one. Satan will then plunge the inhabitants of the earth into one great, final trouble. As the angels of God cease to hold in check the fierce winds of human passion, all the elements of strife will be let loose. The whole world will be involved in ruin more terrible than that which came upon Jerusalem of old.

Quote:
I was shown that the judgments of God would not come directly out from the Lord upon them, but in this way: They place themselves beyond His protection. He warns, corrects, reproves, and points out the only path of safety; then if those who have been the objects of His special care will follow their own course independent of the Spirit of God, after repeated warnings, if they choose their own way, then He does not commission His angels to prevent Satan's decided attacks upon them. It is Satan's power that is at work at sea and on land, bringing calamity and distress, and sweeping off multitudes to make sure of his prey. And storm and tempest both by sea and land will be, for Satan has come down in great wrath. He is at work. He knows his time is short and, if he is not restrained, we shall see more terrible manifestations of his power than we have ever dreamed of. (14 MR 3)

These sure look similar to me. Since the last quote does not specifically use the word "plague," we'll set it aside for now. From the first quote we see that:

1.The four angels would hold the four winds until Jesus' work was done in the sanctuary, and then will come the seven last plagues.
2.The restraint which has been upon the wicked is removed.
3.Satan has entire control of the finally impenitent.
4.The Spirit of God, persistently resisted, has been at last withdrawn.
5.Unsheltered by divine grace, they have no protection from the wicked one.
6.Satan will then plunge the inhabitants of the earth into one great, final trouble.
7.As the angels of God cease to hold in check the fierce winds of human passion, all the elements of strife will be let loose.
8.The whole world will be involved in ruin more terrible than that which came upon Jerusalem of old.

It's interesting that she references the destruction of Jerusalem, because we see the same principles at work.

Quote:
Their sufferings are often represented as a punishment visited upon them by the direct decree of God. It is thus that the great deceiver seeks to conceal his own work. By stubborn rejection of divine love and mercy, the Jews had caused the protection of God to be withdrawn from them, and Satan was permitted to rule them according to his will. The horrible cruelties enacted in the destruction of Jerusalem are a demonstration of Satan's vindictive power over those who yield to his control. (GC 35)

Just replace "the Jews" with "the finally impenitent." Just as there are those who attribute the destruction of Jerusalem to God, when in reality Satan was responsible, so there are those who do the same thing for the plagues. But the principle is the same in both events, which is that God protects the wicked, and when He removes that protection chaos ensues.

TE: These sure look similar to me. Since the last quote does not specifically use the word "plague," we'll set it aside for now.

MM: The last quote doesn't mention the 7LPs for the simple reason she wasn't talking about them. Instead, she was talking about the destruction God permits Satan to cause now, before the close of probation.

TE: Just as there are those who attribute the destruction of Jerusalem to God, when in reality Satan was responsible, so there are those who do the same thing for the plagues.

MM: God permitted Satan to wreak havoc upon Jerusalem, but He didn't give the Devil free reign to rule as he saw fit. The judgments of God against Jerusalem in 70 AD were mingled with mercy. But not so when God pulls the plug the day probation ends for mankind. The 7LPs are not mixed with mercy.

Please notice in the quote you posted above that Satan is allowed to manipulate the "fierce winds of human passion" while holy angels are pouring out the 7LPs. Satan is not permitted to pour out the 7LPs. God has entrusted the work of pouring out the 7LPS to holy angels. That's what it says in the Revelation and in the SOP. Please see the quotes I posted above. Satan will be allowed to control "the elements of strife", the "fierce winds of human passion", but holy angels are commanded to pour out the 7LPs.

Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Mountain Man] #98935
05/01/08 04:23 PM
05/01/08 04:23 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
TE: I guess I'll also mention that I do not believe that Moses was working by the power of Satan in the judgments against the rebels. This is the earthquake one, right? I can think of two explanations in harmony with what Jesus Christ revealed.

1.God knew the earthquake would happen, and did nothing to prevent it.

2.God had been preventing an earthquake from happening, but ceased holding it back.

Regarding how you view things, what actions that Christ took during His life would correspond to your ideas?

Actually, I was referring to the fire that came out of "the cloud of glory" and killed the 250 sinners. Attributing this to Satan is what sealed the doom of the 14,000 who died during the plague. I assume you do not believe Satan had a hand in the fire that killed them. But where did this literal fire come from? She says it came out of the cloud of glory.

Can you explain away this fire citing some natural law or occurrence? Do you dare?

Your view regarding the earth opening up and killing the sinners is quite fanciful. Where in the Bible or the SOP is such a thing described? I mean, where is it taught that God simply allowed an earthquake to kill the sinners? Besides, it wasn't even an earthquake. Moses prayed for "a new thing" to happen to prove beyond doubt that their death and destruction was of God and not something that could be explained away as natural, as you are attempting to do. Here is how it is described:

Quote:
And Moses said, Hereby ye shall know that the Lord hath sent me to do all these works; for I have not done them of mine own mind. If these men die the common death of all men, or if they be visited after the visitation of all men, then the Lord hath not sent me. But if the Lord make a new thing, and the earth open her mouth, and swallow them up, with all that appertain unto them, and they go down quick into the pit, then ye shall understand that these men have provoked the Lord." As Moses ceased speaking, the earth opened and swallowed them up, and their tents, and all that pertained unto them. They went down alive into the pit, and the earth closed over them, and they perished from among the congregation. {4aSG 31.2}

As the children of Israel heard the cry of the perishing ones, they fled at a great distance from them. They knew that they were in a measure guilty, for they had received the accusations against Moses and Aaron, and they were afraid that they should also perish with them. The judgment of God was not yet finished. A fire came from the cloud of glory and consumed the two hundred and fifty men that offered incense. They were princes; that is, men generally of good judgment, and of influence in the congregation, men of renown. They were highly esteemed, and their judgment had often been sought in difficult matters. But they were affected by a wrong influence, and became envious, jealous and rebellious. They perished not with Korah, Dathan, and Abiram, because they were not the first in rebellion. They were to see their end first, and have an opportunity of repenting of their crime. But they were not reconciled to the destruction of those wicked men, and the wrath of God came upon them, and destroyed them also. {4aSG 32.1}

Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Tom] #98936
05/01/08 05:17 PM
05/01/08 05:17 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:
TE: Don't you believe God sets the wicked on fire? You do believe they are set on fire, right? If it's not God who does this, who is it? Don't you believe God rains fire on them from heaven, and they burst into flames? If so, this is certainly equivalent to saying that God sets them on fire. If not, what do you believe?

MM:Again, we are told the wicked will suffer in duration and in proportion to their sinfulness in fire God rains down from above and in fire that comes up from below. That's it.

TE: So you are, indeed, affirming that God sets them on fire, which is what I said.

MM: We aren't told how He will do it. We aren't told how they suffer in duration and in proportion to their sinfulness.

I agree that it is difficult to imagine how humans and angels can be in a lake of fire together and not burn up at the same time. But this doesn't give us the right to assume the fire isn't literal. The inspired descriptions of the lake of fire are too clear to ignore, to spiritualize away, or to twist to mean something other than what they plainly say.

TE: So you agree the fire is literal. I don't see what there is to disagree about in regards to my characterization of your view. God sets the wicked on fire and keeps them on fire until He's through punishing them, at which point they die. That's how you see things, isn't it?

Please post a quote where I say, "God sets them on fire and keeps them burning supernaturally until they have suffered in duration and in proportion to their sinfulness." I have been arguing against this view. Please stop saying otherwise. I am willing to concede it is a possibility, but the inspired record doesn't say so.

It simply says God rains fire down from above and raises fire up from below. Within this environment the wicked suffer in duration and in proportion to their sinfulness. We are not told how it is accomplished, how they are able to suffer different intensities, and how they are able to die at different times. But not knowing does not give us the right to assume the fire is symbolic of something other than literal fire.

Quote:
TE: I wrote, "Jesus never revealed, during in His life with us in the flesh, that God kills people with literal fire." Do you disagree with this? (just this one sentence; suppose it was someone else who wrote it besides me).

MM: I cannot divorce this statement from the context of this discussion. So, no, I do not agree with it. If you worded it the way I suggested earlier I would have no problem with it. Jesus did not demonstrate, while here in the flesh, the fact God has destroyed sinners with literal fire.

TE: "Has" isn't good. "Will" would be better. E.g. "Jesus did not demonstrate, while here in the flesh, the fact God will destroy sinners with literal fire." You agree with that, right?

Yes, I can agree with it, but it doesn't represent everything I believe about it. Now that we agree, what's next?

Quote:
MM: All right, let's assume, for the sake of discussion, that Sister White expected us to interpret what she wrote above to mean Jesus commanded the angels to simply stop preventing things from happening that naturally cause people to suffer and die. Did Jesus demonstrate this aspect of God's character while sojourning here in the flesh? If not, why not?

TE: Yes. We've discussed this, and I cited a number of examples.

Let's start with just one point for now. When God is mistreated, how does He respond? Does He smite His enemies? Or does He simply withdraw?

There are a number of things to consider in relation to God's character. For example:

1.How are the wicked destroyed?
2.How does Christ's death save us?
3.What causes the last seven plagues?
4.How should we understand the episodes in Scripture where God is said to have done this or that destructive thing?
5.How should we understand the episodes in Scripture where God is said to have commanded people to do this and that (violent things)?

Without question, the most difficult of these to understand are the last two. So I'm proposing we stick to the first three. I see no possibility that we will agree on points 4 or 5 if we disagree regarding the first 3.

One further comment is that if one is comfortable with idea of God's doing that which is attributed to Him, just as things appear to be on the surface, then one won't see any reason to interpret things in any other way. The question only comes up when one considers what Christ lived and taught and sees a disconnect between that and the common understanding of what happened in the OT. If one sees no disconnect, that sort of ends the conversation.

Tom, we both agree there are times when God withdraws His protection and gives evil angels permission to manipulate the forces of nature to cause destruction. The story of Job is a perfect example. I do not attribute it to God.

We also agree there are times when God withdraws His protection and gives evil angels permission to manipulate the fierce winds of human passion. The destruction of Jerusalem in 70 AD is a perfect example. I do not attribute it to God.

But where we disagree is whether or not God has used the forces of nature Himself to cause destruction. The Flood is an example. You believe God simply stopped holding back the forces of nature which would have otherwise caused destruction. You attribute it to sin. I believe God used them as arsenals of destruction. Thus, I attribute it to God. So does Sister White in the following quote, and for the same reasons I do.

PP 109
The depths of the earth are the Lord's arsenal, whence were drawn weapons to be employed in the destruction of the old world. Waters gushing from the earth united with the waters from heaven to accomplish the work of desolation. Since the Flood, fire as well as water has been God's agent to destroy very wicked cities. These judgments are sent that those who lightly regard God's law and trample upon His authority may be led to tremble before His power and to confess His just sovereignty. As men have beheld burning mountains pouring forth fire and flames and torrents of melted ore, drying up rivers, overwhelming populous cities, and everywhere spreading ruin and desolation, the stoutest heart has been filled with terror and infidels and blasphemers have been constrained to acknowledge the infinite power of God. {PP 109.1}

We also disagree as to whether or not God has ever commanded holy angels or humans to kill sinners. But you have requested that we hold off discussing this until after we can come an agreement concerning the other things I named above. So be it. Say on, my friend. What thinkest thou?

Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Mountain Man] #98937
05/01/08 05:29 PM
05/01/08 05:29 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
PS - Whatever you believe about the relationship between God withdrawing His protection and the resulting death and destruction, you need to be able, because of how you interpret the SOP, to cite examples in the life of Christ where He demonstrated this aspect of God's kingdom and character. In other words, name a time when Jesus, while here, withdrew His protection and sinners died as a result.

Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Mountain Man] #98955
05/01/08 11:52 PM
05/01/08 11:52 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
PS - Whatever you believe about the relationship between God withdrawing His protection and the resulting death and destruction, you need to be able, because of how you interpret the SOP, to cite examples in the life of Christ where He demonstrated this aspect of God's kingdom and character. In other words, name a time when Jesus, while here, withdrew His protection and sinners died as a result.

In questions of this sort, I like to look for principles.

The principle which Christ revealed is that God does not act in violence, that force is not a principle of His kingdom. Christ revealed that what God did was on the basis of love, mercy and justice.

Quote:
The principles of kindness, mercy, and love, taught and exemplified by our Saviour, are a transcript of the will and character of God. Christ declared that He taught nothing except that which He had received from His Father. The principles of the divine government are in perfect harmony with the Saviour's precept, "Love your enemies." (GC 541)

This is speaking of the judgment. The principles of kindness, mercy, and love, *taught and exemplified by our Savior* are no new characteristics of God which Jesus did not reveal.

Jesus went about doing good. That's how God is.

Why then is there suffering and death, if God only does good? Because there is an enemy who kills and destroys.

I've mentioned several examples of this principle in the past, but I still the think the best one is the destruction of Jerusalem. Jesus spoke of this event on quite a number of occasions through parables, and directly. For example:

Quote:
But today mercy pleads with the sinner. "As I live, saith the Lord God, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live: turn ye, turn ye from your evil ways; for why will ye die?" Ezekiel 33:11. The voice that speaks to the impenitent today is the voice of Him who in heart anguish exclaimed as He beheld the city of His love: "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, which killeth the prophets, and stoneth them that are sent unto her! how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her own brood under her wings, and ye would not! Behold, your house is left unto you desolate." Luke 13:34, 35, R.V. In Jerusalem, Jesus beheld a symbol of the world that had rejected and despised His grace. He was weeping, O stubborn heart, for you! Even when Jesus' tears were shed upon the mount, Jerusalem might yet have repented, and escaped her doom. For a little space the Gift of heaven still waited her acceptance. So, O heart, to you Christ is still speaking in accents of love: "Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear My voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with Me." "Now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation." Revelation 3:20; 2 Corinthians 6:2. (MB 151)

Behold the principle Jesus revealed.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Mountain Man] #98956
05/02/08 12:14 AM
05/02/08 12:14 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Why do you omit the phrase "needs to know"?

Because it's contained in the "or can know" statement. What one needs to know is a subset of what one can know.

Quote:
There are countless things to know about God, but what are the things about His character that are essential for us to know? And, why is it critical for us to know them about God?

God wants us to live with Him for eternity, and with holy angels and creatures from unfallen worlds. He reveals that which we need to do so.

Quote:
Would it prevent us from experiencing rebirth and salvation if we were unable to learn and comprehend the things about God's character that are important for us to know? Why do we have the need to know? Does our salvation depend on us knowing and comprehending them?

Our salvation depends on knowing God. In fact, our salvation is knowing God. Not things about God, but God. However, in knowing someone, one learns things about the person. So knowing the things is not the end, but a part of the means to the end. The end is knowing God.

Quote:
What are some of the aspects of God's character that are *not* essential to our salvation to know and comprehend? What are some of the aspects of His character that God did not see fit to reveal to us, aspects that He expects us to humbly accept we are simply unable at this time to comprehend?

Whatever aspects of His character God saw fit not to reveal or explain to us at this time are the same aspects we should expect not to see demonstrated in the life of Christ while He was here in the flesh. God expects us to rest satisfied with not knowing or being able to comprehend those aspects of His character He has not seen fit to reveal to us at this time.

There are no aspects of His character He did not reveal. God's character was fully revealed in Christ. That's what the Scriptures tell us, and the SOP as well.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Tom] #98957
05/02/08 12:19 AM
05/02/08 12:19 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
TE: These sure look similar to me. Since the last quote does not specifically use the word "plague," we'll set it aside for now.

MM: The last quote doesn't mention the 7LPs for the simple reason she wasn't talking about them. Instead, she was talking about the destruction God permits Satan to cause now, before the close of probation.

It doesn't matter. The same exact principles she laid out apply.

Quote:
TE: Just as there are those who attribute the destruction of Jerusalem to God, when in reality Satan was responsible, so there are those who do the same thing for the plagues.

MM: God permitted Satan to wreak havoc upon Jerusalem, but He didn't give the Devil free reign to rule as he saw fit. The judgments of God against Jerusalem in 70 AD were mingled with mercy. But not so when God pulls the plug the day probation ends for mankind. The 7LPs are not mixed with mercy.

Please notice in the quote you posted above that Satan is allowed to manipulate the "fierce winds of human passion" while holy angels are pouring out the 7LPs. Satan is not permitted to pour out the 7LPs. God has entrusted the work of pouring out the 7LPS to holy angels. That's what it says in the Revelation and in the SOP. Please see the quotes I posted above. Satan will be allowed to control "the elements of strife", the "fierce winds of human passion", but holy angels are commanded to pour out the 7LPs.

I'm not following you. What quote are you talking about that you posted?

From the quote I posted, we see the following principles:

1.The four angels would hold the four winds until Jesus' work was done in the sanctuary, and then will come the seven last plagues.
2.The restraint which has been upon the wicked is removed.
3.Satan has entire control of the finally impenitent.
4.The Spirit of God, persistently resisted, has been at last withdrawn.
5.Unsheltered by divine grace, they have no protection from the wicked one.
6.Satan will then plunge the inhabitants of the earth into one great, final trouble.
7.As the angels of God cease to hold in check the fierce winds of human passion, all the elements of strife will be let loose.
8.The whole world will be involved in ruin more terrible than that which came upon Jerusalem of old.

This is talking about the last plagues. This is how they work.

Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Tom] #98958
05/02/08 12:38 AM
05/02/08 12:38 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Please post a quote where I say, "God sets them on fire and keeps them burning supernaturally until they have suffered in duration and in proportion to their sinfulness." I have been arguing against this view.

You've been arguing against this view? I don't think so.

Quote:
Please stop saying otherwise. I am willing to concede it is a possibility, but the inspired record doesn't say so.

There you have it. If you concede it's a possibility, you're not arguing against the view. To argue against the view would mean that it's not a possibility. *I've* been arguing against this view.

I'm still not getting what you disagree with. Are you saying perhaps the fire is literal, and perhaps it's not?

Quote:
It simply says God rains fire down from above and raises fire up from below. Within this environment the wicked suffer in duration and in proportion to their sinfulness. We are not told how it is accomplished, how they are able to suffer different intensities, and how they are able to die at different times. But not knowing does not give us the right to assume the fire is symbolic of something other than literal fire.

You agree the fire might not be literal?

Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Tom] #98969
05/02/08 03:25 PM
05/02/08 03:25 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:

TE: In questions of this sort, I like to look for principles. The principle which Christ revealed is that God does not act in violence, that force is not a principle of His kingdom. Christ revealed that what God did was on the basis of love, mercy and justice.

Quote:
The principles of kindness, mercy, and love, taught and exemplified by our Saviour, are a transcript of the will and character of God. Christ declared that He taught nothing except that which He had received from His Father. The principles of the divine government are in perfect harmony with the Saviour's precept, "Love your enemies." (GC 541)

This is speaking of the judgment. The principles of kindness, mercy, and love, *taught and exemplified by our Savior* are no new characteristics of God which Jesus did not reveal.

Jesus went about doing good. That's how God is. Why then is there suffering and death, if God only does good? Because there is an enemy who kills and destroys.

I've mentioned several examples of this principle in the past, but I still the think the best one is the destruction of Jerusalem. Jesus spoke of this event on quite a number of occasions through parables, and directly. For example:

Quote:
But today mercy pleads with the sinner. "As I live, saith the Lord God, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live: turn ye, turn ye from your evil ways; for why will ye die?" Ezekiel 33:11. The voice that speaks to the impenitent today is the voice of Him who in heart anguish exclaimed as He beheld the city of His love: "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, which killeth the prophets, and stoneth them that are sent unto her! how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her own brood under her wings, and ye would not! Behold, your house is left unto you desolate." Luke 13:34, 35, R.V. In Jerusalem, Jesus beheld a symbol of the world that had rejected and despised His grace. He was weeping, O stubborn heart, for you! Even when Jesus' tears were shed upon the mount, Jerusalem might yet have repented, and escaped her doom. For a little space the Gift of heaven still waited her acceptance. So, O heart, to you Christ is still speaking in accents of love: "Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear My voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with Me." "Now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation." Revelation 3:20; 2 Corinthians 6:2. (MB 151)

Behold the principle Jesus revealed.

Tom, there is nothing violent or forceful about it when circumstances force God to execute justice and judgment. It is a perversion of justice and judgment to label it violent and forceful. Mercy and justice are not contradictory; instead, they are complimentary. The wrath of God is love. It is His "strange act". The following passages make this point crystal clear:

Quote:
God's love has been expressed in His justice no less than in His mercy. Justice is the foundation of His throne, and the fruit of His love. It had been Satan's purpose to divorce mercy from truth and justice. He sought to prove that the righteousness of God's law is an enemy to peace. But Christ shows that in God's plan they are indissolubly joined together; the one cannot exist without the other. "Mercy and truth are met together; righteousness and peace have kissed each other." Ps. 85:10. {DA 762.3}

By His life and His death, Christ proved that God's justice did not destroy His mercy, but that sin could be forgiven, and that the law is righteous, and can be perfectly obeyed. Satan's charges were refuted. God had given man unmistakable evidence of His love. {DA 762.4}

From the highest peaks men looked abroad upon a shoreless ocean. The solemn warnings of God's servant no longer seemed a subject for ridicule and scorning. How those doomed sinners longed for the opportunities which they had slighted! How they pleaded for one hour's probation, one more privilege of mercy, one call from the lips of Noah! But the sweet voice of mercy was no more to be heard by them. Love, no less than justice, demanded that God's judgments should put a check on sin. The avenging waters swept over the last retreat, and the despisers of God perished in the black depths. {PP 100.3}

"By the word of God . . . the world that then was, being overflowed with water, perished: but the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men." 2 Peter 3:5-7. Another storm is coming. The earth will again be swept by the desolating wrath of God, and sin and sinners will be destroyed. {PP 101.1}

Love no less than justice demanded that for this sin judgment should be inflicted. God is the guardian as well as the sovereign of His people. He cuts off those who are determined upon rebellion, that they may not lead others to ruin. In sparing the life of Cain, God had demonstrated to the universe what would be the result of permitting sin to go unpunished. The influence exerted upon his descendants by his life and teaching led to the state of corruption that demanded the destruction of the whole world by a flood. The history of the antediluvians testifies that long life is not a blessing to the sinner; God's great forbearance did not repress their wickedness. The longer men lived, the more corrupt they became. {PP 325.2}

So with the apostasy at Sinai. Unless punishment had been speedily visited upon transgression, the same results would again have been seen. The earth would have become as corrupt as in the days of Noah. Had these transgressors been spared, evils would have followed, greater than resulted from sparing the life of Cain. It was the mercy of God that thousands should suffer, to prevent the necessity of visiting judgments upon millions. In order to save the many, He must punish the few. Furthermore, as the people had cast off their allegiance to God, they had forfeited the divine protection, and, deprived of their defense, the whole nation was exposed to the power of their enemies. Had not the evil been promptly put away, they would soon have fallen a prey to their numerous and powerful foes. It was necessary for the good of Israel, and also as a lesson to all succeeding generations, that crime should be promptly punished. And it was no less a mercy to the sinners themselves that they should be cut short in their evil course. Had their life been spared, the same spirit that led them to rebel against God would have been manifested in hatred and strife among themselves, and they would eventually have destroyed one another. It was in love to the world, in love to Israel, and even to the transgressors, that crime was punished with swift and terrible severity. {PP 325.3}

But one point still remains unaddressed - Whatever you believe about the relationship between God withdrawing His protection and the resulting death and destruction, you need to be able, because of how you interpret the SOP, to cite examples in the life of Christ where He demonstrated this aspect of God's kingdom and character. In other words, name a time when Jesus, while here, withdrew His protection and sinners died as a result.

Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Tom] #98972
05/02/08 03:47 PM
05/02/08 03:47 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:
What are some of the aspects of God's character that are *not* essential to our salvation to know and comprehend? What are some of the aspects of His character that God did not see fit to reveal to us, aspects that He expects us to humbly accept we are simply unable at this time to comprehend?

Whatever aspects of His character God saw fit not to reveal or explain to us at this time are the same aspects we should expect not to see demonstrated in the life of Christ while He was here in the flesh. God expects us to rest satisfied with not knowing or being able to comprehend those aspects of His character He has not seen fit to reveal to us at this time.

TE: There are no aspects of His character He did not reveal. God's character was fully revealed in Christ. That's what the Scriptures tell us, and the SOP as well.

Not true, Tom. The Bible and SOP make it clear that there are all kinds of things about God we cannot comprehend, that He has not revealed, which He expects us to humbly accept as reasonable and right. Here it is again:

Quote:
8T 285, 26
Man cannot by searching find out God. Let none seek with presumptuous hand to lift the veil that conceals His glory. "Unsearchable are His judgments, and His ways past finding out!" Romans 11:33. It is a proof of His mercy that there is the hiding of His power; for to lift the veil that conceals the divine presence is death. No mortal mind can penetrate the secrecy in which the Mighty One dwells and works. Only that which He sees fit to reveal can we comprehend of Him. Reason must acknowledge an authority superior to itself. Heart and intellect must bow to the great I AM. {8T 285.2}

All that man needs to know or can know of God has been revealed in the life and character of His Son. {8T 286.1}

"No man hath seen God at any time; the only-begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, He hath declared Him." John 1:18. {8T 286.2}

It is clear from this passage that Jesus revealed "only" those aspects of God's character that we can reasonably grasp and comprehend, which necessarily means He did not demonstrate those aspects of God's character that we cannot grasp or comprehend.

No mortal mind can penetrate the secrecy in which the Mighty One dwells and works. Only that which He sees fit to reveal can we comprehend of Him. Reason must acknowledge an authority superior to itself. Heart and intellect must bow to the great I AM.

You, on the other hand, seem to be suggesting that there isn't anything about God's character and kingdom that we cannot grasp and comprehend. Whereas, she wrote, "Only that which He sees fit to reveal can we comprehend of Him." You seem to think nothing is left out, that there is nothing about God that we cannot comprehend.

Page 35 of 47 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 46 47

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/19/24 01:25 AM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/16/24 02:17 PM
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by kland. 05/17/24 04:47 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!