HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,601
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 15
kland 9
Daryl 3
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Member Spotlight
ProdigalOne
ProdigalOne
Alberta, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, dedication, ProdigalOne, Kevin H, Daryl, 1 invisible), 2,952 guests, and 19 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 32 1 2 3 4 5 6 31 32
Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Tom] #98854
04/29/08 09:16 PM
04/29/08 09:16 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
That's not what I believe either. Let me explain. It is during the long "patient, protracted process" of conversion that the Holy Spirit lovingly reveals all of our defective traits of character in light of the cross. "... it is the result of long wooing by the Spirit of God,--a patient, protracted process." (DA 172) Do you see the difference?

The "patient, protracted process" isn't talking about a revelation of all of our defective traits of character. It's talking about our being converted.

Conversion has to do with a change of mind. Before being converted, we think one way. Self is the king. The law is not written in the heart. After conversion, we live for Christ. We are in harmony with God, and the principles of His kingdom.

The protracted process has to do with the Holy Spirit preparing the soil, so that the appeal can be made at the best possible time, when the soul has the best chance of responding, because God, above all, wants success (unfortunately, many choose not to respond, even so, as the parable of the seed cast to the ground on different soils illustrates).

Quote:
person may not be able to tell the exact time or place, or to trace all the circumstances in the process of conversion; but this does not prove him to be unconverted. By an agency as unseen as the wind, Christ is constantly working upon the heart. Little by little, perhaps unconsciously to the receiver, impressions are made that tend to draw the soul to Christ.(DA 172)

This isn't speaking of our defective traits being brought to mind, but of our being brought to Christ. What we need to be saved is not a revelation of all of our character defects (which is more than we could bear) but Christ. So God gives us what we need, which is Christ.

If there are sins which we need to repent of so that we are willing and able to accept Christ, the Holy Spirit reveals these to us. But the goal is Christ, not the revelation of every character defect. Only that which gets in the way of our receiving Christ needs to be revealed.

Quote:
Also, please understand that they must labor, agonize, wrestle, and strive (the l.a.w.s of fighting the good fight of faith) to abide in Jesus, to keep their former defects and imperfections from resurfacing. Although dead and buried, our old man habits of sin are never far from the surface, never more than a heartbeat away from enslaving us again. We must abide in Jesus or perish with our sins.

I think is a misplaced emphasis. Instead our emphasis should be on beholding Christ.

Quote:
I agree, but it didn't happen. Why? Is it because people are still resisting the message?

No doubt this has to do with it.

Quote:
Is it because people do not believe we are born again dead to sin and awake to righteousness? Is it because people believe we are born again with some of our sinful habits still in tact? Is it because these same people blame it on the Holy Spirit?

No, I dont' think so. I don't see that any of these things were a part of the message. However, that sin, all sin, could be, and needed to be overcome *was* a part of the message. Jones, in particular, during his General Conference messages talked of this. He died in Christ, Christ taking our human nature, and Christ's overcoming of sin to our victory over sin.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Tom] #98884
04/30/08 03:01 PM
04/30/08 03:01 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:
Tom, you wrote, "People do not become instantly perfect when they are born again." But they are instantly forgiven, right? In the eyes of God, aren't they also perfect at that same instant?

TE: No, not in the sense of "perfect" in the context of my statement and our discussion. E.g., they are not instantly made aware of all sins/sinful habits/character defects the moment they are born again.

I agree. Instead, they were gradually made of aware of all their cultivated sinful habits and traits of character during the long, patient, protracted process of conversion. They were born again without them. Otherwise, they did not experience true, genuine rebirth as defined in the Bible and SOP, which we both admit is "rare". Nevertheless, they might not have been made aware of certain sins of ignorance before they experienced the miracle of rebirth.

The Holy Spirit might not have opened their eyes to things like Sabbath keeping, diet and dress reform, and other distinctive doctrines that require Bible study and prayer. But all the sinful habits and behaviors "such as is common to man", ways that are offensive to people, do not qualify as sins of ignorance and are, therefore, revealed to them in light of the cross and must be confessed and crucified before they can experience rebirth.

Quote:
I agree, but perhaps you misunderstood my question. I'm talking about people who are born again with some of their former sinful habits still in tact. Are these people living in harmony with God and the principles of His kingdom? If so, which principles?

TE: The following comes into play in this situation: "If light comes, and that light is set aside, or rejected, then comes condemnation and the frown of God; but before the light comes there is no sin, for there is no light for them to reject. (Spiritual Gifts Volume 4b (1864), page 3)

Amen. But I suspect we have a different list of what is light and what is not light before and after a person experiences rebirth. I hope not.

Quote:
I agree. But, are you leaving room for cultivated sinful habits [the thief on the cross] didn't confess and crucify? If so, will he have time to confess and crucify them in heaven?

TE: Since he had not cultivated sinful habits that would keep him out of heaven, it is not necessary to give him time to do so. What keeps people out of heaven is being out of harmony with God. When one decided to repent, God reveals to the person that which he needs to know in order to be made right with Him.

No inspired statement says that God has to reveal everything evil about ourselves before this can happen. It seems to me that one must vastly underestimate our wickedness to even consider this a possibility.

Regarding the first paragraph, the first sentence, did you mean - "Since he had no unconfessed, uncrucified cultivated sinful habits that would keep him out of heaven, it is not necessary to give him time to do so." If this is what you meant, then I totally agree.

But your second paragraph concerns me. Here's why. You seem to be implying that born again believers possess certain forms of evil and wickedness that the Holy Spirit may or may not reveal to them before they go to heaven. You also imply that these forms of evil and wickedness are not out of harmony with God's will, that they will not keep them out of heaven. I cannot imagine such a thing. Please cite examples. Thank you.

Quote:
Also, please name an example of a cultivated sinful habit that will not keep someone out of heaven.

TE: Polygamy.

In what way is polygamy a sinful habit? Why won't it keep people out of heaven?

Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Mountain Man] #98931
05/01/08 02:22 AM
05/01/08 02:22 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
I agree. Instead, they were gradually made of aware of all their cultivated sinful habits and traits of character during the long, patient, protracted process of conversion.

If we switch "conversion" with "sanctification," I agree. Sanctification is the process of a lifetime, during which God makes known our cultivated sinful habits and traits of character. Thankfully, however, this is not a pre-condition to being forgiven.

Quote:
How, then, are we to be saved? "As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness," so the Son of man has been lifted up, and everyone who has been deceived and bitten by the serpent may look and live. "Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world." John 1:29. The light shining from the cross reveals the love of God. His love is drawing us to Himself. If we do not resist this drawing, we shall be led to the foot of the cross in repentance for the sins that have crucified the Saviour. Then the Spirit of God through faith produces a new life in the soul. The thoughts and desires are brought into obedience to the will of Christ. The heart, the mind, are created anew in the image of Him who works in us to subdue all things to Himself. Then the law of God is written in the mind and heart, and we can say with Christ, "I delight to do Thy will, O my God." Ps. 40:8.

In the interview with Nicodemus, Jesus unfolded the plan of salvation, and His mission to the world. In none of His subsequent discourses did He explain so fully, step by step, the work necessary to be done in the hearts of all who would inherit the kingdom of heaven. (DA 175,176)

According the the SOP, Jesus never explained the plan of salvation so fully as with Nicodemus. He we see that the light shining from the cross draws us to Himself, and that if we do not resist, we will be led to repentance at the foot of the cross, at which point the law is written in heart. Since the law is a transcript of God's character, this signifies that the sinner has been brought into harmony with God, and the principles of His government. He has been converted, born again.

Where in what Jesus said is found this theory that a long process of disclosing every sinful habit, every character defect, to be found?

Quote:
They were born again without them. Otherwise, they did not experience true, genuine rebirth as defined in the Bible and SOP, which we both admit is "rare".

Again, where is Jesus teaching is this idea expressed? What I see taught is that when we repent of our sins and accept Christ as our personal Savior, we are born again.

Quote:
Nevertheless, they might not have been made aware of certain sins of ignorance before they experienced the miracle of rebirth.

Might?

Quote:
The Holy Spirit might not have opened their eyes to things like Sabbath keeping, diet and dress reform, and other distinctive doctrines that require Bible study and prayer. But all the sinful habits and behaviors "such as is common to man", ways that are offensive to people, do not qualify as sins of ignorance and are, therefore, revealed to them in light of the cross and must be confessed and crucified before they can experience rebirth.

Where did Jesus teach this?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Mountain Man] #98942
05/01/08 07:18 PM
05/01/08 07:18 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:
I agree, but perhaps you misunderstood my question. I'm talking about people who are born again with some of their former sinful habits still in tact. Are these people living in harmony with God and the principles of His kingdom? If so, which principles?

TE: The following comes into play in this situation: "If light comes, and that light is set aside, or rejected, then comes condemnation and the frown of God; but before the light comes there is no sin, for there is no light for them to reject. (Spiritual Gifts Volume 4b (1864), page 3)

Amen. But I suspect we have a different list of what is light and what is not light before and after a person experiences rebirth. I hope not.

Quote:
I agree. But, are you leaving room for cultivated sinful habits [the thief on the cross] didn't confess and crucify? If so, will he have time to confess and crucify them in heaven?

TE: Since he had not cultivated sinful habits that would keep him out of heaven, it is not necessary to give him time to do so. What keeps people out of heaven is being out of harmony with God. When one decided to repent, God reveals to the person that which he needs to know in order to be made right with Him.

No inspired statement says that God has to reveal everything evil about ourselves before this can happen. It seems to me that one must vastly underestimate our wickedness to even consider this a possibility.

Regarding the first paragraph, the first sentence, did you mean - "Since he had no unconfessed, uncrucified cultivated sinful habits that would keep him out of heaven, it is not necessary to give him time to do so." If this is what you meant, then I totally agree.

But your second paragraph concerns me. Here's why. You seem to be implying that born again believers possess certain forms of evil and wickedness that the Holy Spirit may or may not reveal to them before they go to heaven. You also imply that these forms of evil and wickedness are not out of harmony with God's will, that they will not keep them out of heaven. I cannot imagine such a thing. Please cite examples. Thank you.

Quote:
Also, please name an example of a cultivated sinful habit that will not keep someone out of heaven.

Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Tom] #98943
05/01/08 07:51 PM
05/01/08 07:51 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:
I agree. Instead, they were gradually made of aware of all their cultivated sinful habits and traits of character during the long, patient, protracted process of conversion.

TE: If we switch "conversion" with "sanctification," I agree. Sanctification is the process of a lifetime, during which God makes known our cultivated sinful habits and traits of character. Thankfully, however, this is not a pre-condition to being forgiven.

Are you saying sanctification is the lifelong process whereby God gradually make us aware of the sinfulness of the unholy traits and habits we have been cultivating all along ignorantly? If so, please quote inspired references. Thank you.

By the way, I agree with you that sins of ignorance do prevent God from forgiving the sins we confess and forsake. Nor do they prevent us from experiencing the miracle of rebirth. However, I suspect we disagree as to what constitutes a sin of ignorance, sinful traits and habits God can afford to wait to reveal to us until sometime after we experience the miracle of rebirth.

Until recently, though, I was certain we agreed sins of ignorance could not include sinful traits and habits that offend people around us, that cause them to question our profession, that cause them to despise the gospel, that cause them to conclude we are no different than before we were supposedly born again. Do we still agree on this point?

Quote:
How, then, are we to be saved? "As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness," so the Son of man has been lifted up, and everyone who has been deceived and bitten by the serpent may look and live. "Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world." John 1:29. The light shining from the cross reveals the love of God. His love is drawing us to Himself. If we do not resist this drawing, we shall be led to the foot of the cross in repentance for the sins that have crucified the Saviour. Then the Spirit of God through faith produces a new life in the soul. The thoughts and desires are brought into obedience to the will of Christ. The heart, the mind, are created anew in the image of Him who works in us to subdue all things to Himself. Then the law of God is written in the mind and heart, and we can say with Christ, "I delight to do Thy will, O my God." Ps. 40:8.

In the interview with Nicodemus, Jesus unfolded the plan of salvation, and His mission to the world. In none of His subsequent discourses did He explain so fully, step by step, the work necessary to be done in the hearts of all who would inherit the kingdom of heaven. (DA 175,176)

TE: According the the SOP, Jesus never explained the plan of salvation so fully as with Nicodemus. He we see that the light shining from the cross draws us to Himself, and that if we do not resist, we will be led to repentance at the foot of the cross, at which point the law is written in heart. Since the law is a transcript of God's character, this signifies that the sinner has been brought into harmony with God, and the principles of His government. He has been converted, born again.

Where in what Jesus said is found this theory that a long process of disclosing every sinful habit, every character defect, to be found?

Where? Both in what you said above and in the quote you posted. People cannot have the law of God written in their heart, cannot be in harmony with the principles of government, and retain their former old man habits of sin. Jesus told Nicodemus, "That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit." It's one or the other, not both. Jesus said, "No man can serve two masters."

Quote:
They were born again without them. Otherwise, they did not experience true, genuine rebirth as defined in the Bible and SOP, which we both admit is "rare".

TE: Again, where is Jesus teaching is this idea expressed? What I see taught is that when we repent of our sins and accept Christ as our personal Savior, we are born again.

Yes, born again abiding in Jesus, walking in the Spirit and seed of the new man. "Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever." "Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God."

Quote:
Nevertheless, they might not have been made aware of certain sins of ignorance before they experienced the miracle of rebirth.

TE: Might?

Yes, people can experience rebirth before they learn how to obey and observe everything Jesus commanded. This applies to sins of ignorance, of which we have yet to agree on. But, there are times when people are properly prepared for baptism and they learn how to obey and observe everything Jesus commanded.

Matthew
28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, [even] unto the end of the world. Amen.

Quote:

TE: Where did Jesus teach this?

Please see quotes posted above. Now it's your turn to provide quotes from Jesus where He teaches people are born again with some of their cultivated sinful traits and habits in tact, that they will remain unrevealed, unconfessed, and uncrucified until the day the Holy Spirit decides to reveal it to them. Also, please name a modern day example. Thank you.

Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Mountain Man] #98954
05/01/08 11:05 PM
05/01/08 11:05 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:

Before rebirth a person needs to know Christ. IOW Christ is the light that people need to know. Not some list.

Quote:

I meant he can't have any character defects that would keep him out of heaven because Jesus told him he was going to heaven.

Quote:

The same examples as before. As the thief lay hanging on the cross, there was a limited amount of things God could reveal to him, and he obviously had very little time to correct his habits. What could have been revealed to him?

Quote:
To Jesus in His agony on the cross there came one gleam of comfort. It was the prayer of the penitent thief. Both the men who were crucified with Jesus had at first railed upon Him; and one under his suffering only became more desperate and defiant. But not so with his companion. This man was not a hardened criminal; he had been led astray by evil associations, but he was less guilty than many of those who stood beside the cross reviling the Saviour. He had seen and heard Jesus, and had been convicted by His teaching, but he had been turned away from Him by the priests and rulers. Seeking to stifle conviction, he had plunged deeper and deeper into sin, until he was arrested, tried as a criminal, and condemned to die on the cross. In the judgment hall and on the way to Calvary he had been in company with Jesus. He had heard Pilate declare, "I find no fault in Him." John 19:4. He had marked His godlike bearing, and His pitying forgiveness of His tormentors. On the cross he sees the many great religionists shoot out the tongue with scorn, and ridicule the Lord Jesus. He sees the wagging heads. He hears the upbraiding speeches taken up by his companion in guilt: "If Thou be Christ, save Thyself and us." Among the passers-by he hears many defending Jesus. He hears them repeat His words, and tell of His works. The conviction comes back to him that this is the Christ. Turning to his fellow criminal he says, "Dost not thou fear God, seeing thou art in the same condemnation?" The dying thieves have no longer anything to fear from man. But upon one of them presses the conviction that there is a God to fear, a future to cause him to tremble. And now, all sin-polluted as it is, his life history is about to close. "And we indeed justly," he moans; "for we receive the due reward of our deeds: but this Man hath done nothing amiss."

There is no question now. There are no doubts, no reproaches. When condemned for his crime, the thief had become hopeless and despairing; but strange, tender thoughts now spring up. He calls to mind all he has heard of Jesus, how He has healed the sick and pardoned sin. He has heard the words of those who believed in Jesus and followed Him weeping. He has seen and read the title above the Saviour's head. He has heard the passers-by repeat it, some with grieved, quivering lips, others with jesting and mockery. The Holy Spirit illuminates his mind, and little by little the chain of evidence is joined together. In Jesus, bruised, mocked, and hanging upon the cross, he sees the Lamb of God, that taketh away the sin of the world. Hope is mingled with anguish in his voice as the helpless, dying soul casts himself upon a dying Saviour. "Lord, remember me," he cries, "when Thou comest into Thy kingdom."

Quickly the answer came. Soft and melodious the tone, full of love, compassion, and power the words: Verily I say unto thee today, Thou shalt be with Me in paradise. (DA 749, 750)

There's no list here, MM. He recognized Christ and his need, and that was that.

Quote:

What do you mean in what way? You agree that it's a sin. In the way that it's a sin. You agree that many who practiced polygamy will be in heaven, don't you?

Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Mountain Man] #98977
05/02/08 05:06 PM
05/02/08 05:06 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:
MM: I agree, but perhaps you misunderstood my question. I'm talking about people who are born again with some of their former sinful habits still in tact. Are these people living in harmony with God and the principles of His kingdom? If so, which principles?

TE: The following comes into play in this situation: "If light comes, and that light is set aside, or rejected, then comes condemnation and the frown of God; but before the light comes
there is no sin, for there is no light for them to reject. (Spiritual Gifts Volume 4b (1864), page 3)

MM: Amen. But I suspect we have a different list of what is light and what is not light before and after a person experiences rebirth. I hope not.

TE: Before rebirth a person needs to know Christ. IOW Christ is the light that people need to know. Not some list.

The list of light represents the truth as it in Jesus. Knowing Jesus, therefore, includes knowing the list of light. Jesus warned against being deceived by false christs. Jesus said, "The words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life."

No one can experience rebirth accidentally. It is the result of long wooing; a patient, protracted process. It doesn't happen the instant they learn about Jesus. Rebirth means our old man habits of are dead and buried; it means we have received the mind of the new man, which comes complete with all the righteous fruits and attributes of God's character.

Quote:
MM: I agree. But, are you leaving room for cultivated sinful habits [the thief on the cross] didn't confess and crucify? If so, will he have time to confess and crucify them in heaven?

MM: Regarding the first paragraph, the first sentence, did you mean - "Since he had no unconfessed, uncrucified cultivated sinful habits that would keep him out of heaven, it is not necessary to give him time to do so." If this is what you meant, then I totally agree.

TE: I meant he can't have any character defects that would keep him out of heaven because Jesus told him he was going to heaven. The same examples as before. As the thief lay hanging on the cross, there was a limited amount of things God could reveal to him, and he obviously had very little time to correct his habits. What could have been revealed to him?

I agree with you that the thief has no unrevealed, unconfessed, uncrucified sinful traits and habits that must be revealed, confessed, and crucified in heaven. Any and all sinful traits and habits were crucified before he died because any and all uncrucified sinful traits and habits will keep him out heaven. He didn't need time to correct them because they were crucified, dead and buried.

But I'm not sure what you mean by - "No inspired statement says that God has to reveal everything evil about ourselves before [rebirth] can happen. It seems to me that one must vastly underestimate our wickedness to even consider this a possibility." You seem to be suggesting that there are certain forms or evil and wickedness that will not keep people out of heaven, that they will have time in heaven to crucify them. Please explain what you have in mind. Thank you.

Quote:
MM: Also, please name an example of a cultivated sinful habit that will not keep someone out of heaven.

MM: In what way is polygamy a sinful habit? Why won't it keep people out of heaven?

TE: What do you mean in what way? You agree that it's a sin. In the way that it's a sin. You agree that many who practiced polygamy will be in heaven, don't you?

I mean, in what way is having more than one spouse at a time a sinful habit? Sinful habits are formed by repeating the same behavior over and over again until it becomes ingrained and spontaneous. Sinful habits become sinful traits of character. Polygamy isn't a trait of character. Having more than one spouse at a time is not a repetitious behavior.

So, my question is - What is an example of a cultivated sinful trait and habit that will *not* keep someone out of heaven, that they will have time in heaven to crucify?

Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Mountain Man] #98978
05/02/08 05:08 PM
05/02/08 05:08 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, please address #98943 (two posts above this one). Thank you.

Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Mountain Man] #98984
05/02/08 05:36 PM
05/02/08 05:36 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Are you saying sanctification is the lifelong process whereby God gradually make us aware of the sinfulness of the unholy traits and habits we have been cultivating all along ignorantly? If so, please quote inspired references. Thank you.

By the way, I agree with you that sins of ignorance do prevent God from forgiving the sins we confess and forsake. Nor do they prevent us from experiencing the miracle of rebirth. However, I suspect we disagree as to what constitutes a sin of ignorance, sinful traits and habits God can afford to wait to reveal to us until sometime after we experience the miracle of rebirth.

Until recently, though, I was certain we agreed sins of ignorance could not include sinful traits and habits that offend people around us, that cause them to question our profession, that cause them to despise the gospel, that cause them to conclude we are no different than before we were supposedly born again. Do we still agree on this point?

We're talking apples and oranges here. I don't conceive of things the way you do. Life is not about God's revealing some list to us.

Sin has wrecked us. When we come to Christ, we start a process of healing. During this process of healing, we learn more about Christ, and about ourselves. We become more and more like Him, as we see Him more clearly as He truly is.

This is how I think of things.

Quote:
Where? Both in what you said above and in the quote you posted. People cannot have the law of God written in their heart, cannot be in harmony with the principles of government, and retain their former old man habits of sin. Jesus told Nicodemus, "That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit." It's one or the other, not both. Jesus said, "No man can serve two masters."

Serving a master and having a habit are two different things. Take a habit like swearing. There's a process involved.

1.Oh, swearing is bad. I shouldn't do that.
2.Person swears, catches himself.
3.Person catches himself before swearing, but still thinks it.
4.Person substitutes some innocuous though in place of the swearing in the thought process.
5.Person is healed.

Not every born again person stops swearing the instant they are born again. One *starts* the process of healing when one is born again.

As one continues to walk with Christ, one learns to speak more and more like Him. One learns that simply not swearing is just a beginning. In addition to not swearing, one should bless others with one's words.

Quote:
Yes, born again abiding in Jesus, walking in the Spirit and seed of the new man. "Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever." "Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God."

This is a really poor approach to theology. You're taking a passage which is not addressing the subject of conversion and applying it to a subject it is not addressing. In addition, this is a passage which in heavily controverted as to its meaning. So you're using a passage which isn't addressing a subject, and one which whose meaning is contested, to develop a theology.

Instead, it would be better to develop a theology based on incontrovertible teachings which are addressing the subject. Take Jesus, for example. Please demonstrate something from the teachings of Jesus, who taught a great deal about conversion, where He teaches that before one can be converted they need to go through a long laundry list of sins.

Look at the parables He gave. The prodigal Son. The lost sheep. The publican praying. Look at His life, when He pardoned. The paralytic, the woman caught in adultery. Jesus was quick to forgive, as soon as their was a genuine interest on the part of the penitent sinner.

As David said, a contrite heart, God will not despise. All God needs is our hearts. Then healing can begin. Through the healing process, bad habits like swearing and others will be addressed.

Quote:

TE: Might?

Yes, people can experience rebirth before they learn how to obey and observe everything Jesus commanded. This applies to sins of ignorance, of which we have yet to agree on. But, there are times when people are properly prepared for baptism and they learn how to obey and observe everything Jesus commanded.

You appear to think it's possible that a person can be made aware of every sin of ignorance they have before they are converted, or baptized. That this is just a matter of being properly taught by a minister. It appears to me that you are vastly underestimating our sinfulness, by several orders of magnitude.

Quote:
Please see quotes posted above. Now it's your turn to provide quotes from Jesus where He teaches people are born again with some of their cultivated sinful traits and habits in tact, that they will remain unrevealed, unconfessed, and uncrucified until the day the Holy Spirit decides to reveal it to them. Also, please name a modern day example. Thank you.

What quotes? I don't see anything you've presented from Jesus Christ that would support the ideas you are suggesting. This simply isn't the way forgiveness works.

Let's say you do something to offend you. I'm upset at you. But I misunderstood what you did. You didn't really do the thing I thought you did. But I stay upset at me for years, and do all sorts of wrong things, like say bad things about you behind your back, and think bad things about you.

Then one day I discover my mistake. Really the bad thing I thought you did was a good thing. Oh no! I go to you and apologize. I ask you for forgiveness. I start to tell you how I was wrong to think badly of you, and so on.

What do you do? Do you make me tell you every bad thing I thought or did? Or do you see that I'm genuinely sorry, and forgive me?

Hopefully you would respond like a normal, decent human being and forgive me on the spot.

This is how God forgives us. As soon as He sees we are sincerely repentant, we are forgiven. In order for us to repent, we need to see the truth about the bad things we thought God was doing, that they were really good. Our sins may lead us to misinterpret God, so we need to see them too (the ones that are getting in our way of reconciliation). It is the goodness of God that leads us to repentance.

Re: Will Jesus change our character when He returns? [Re: Tom] #99010
05/03/08 03:35 PM
05/03/08 03:35 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:
MM: Are you saying sanctification is the lifelong process whereby God gradually make us aware of the sinfulness of the unholy traits and habits we have been cultivating all along ignorantly? If so, please quote inspired references. Thank you.

By the way, I agree with you that sins of ignorance do not prevent God from forgiving the sins we confess and forsake. Nor do they prevent us from experiencing the miracle of rebirth. However, I suspect we disagree as to what constitutes a sin of ignorance, sinful traits and habits God can afford to wait to reveal to us until sometime after we experience the miracle of rebirth.

TE: We're talking apples and oranges here. I don't conceive of things the way you do. Life is not about God's revealing some list to us. Sin has wrecked us. When we come to Christ, we start a process of healing. During this process of healing, we learn more about Christ, and about ourselves. We become more and more like Him, as we see Him more clearly as He truly is. This is how I think of things.

The Bible is full of lists of "dos and don'ts". Judgment is all about lists of right and wrong. God is clearly concerned about it; otherwise, He wouldn't make them or keep them. The reason it keeps coming up as we study together is because you seem to believe the list's do not matter, that all that matters is we learn to love and appreciate the character of God.

But this sounds more like a cop out than an answer to the questions I've been asking. List's aren't important to you until it becomes clear you believe there are certain sinful traits and habits the Holy Spirit waits to reveal until after people experience rebirth. You explain that these unrevealed, uncrucified traits and habits are not the types of sinning that cause people around them to despise the gospel or to conclude they are no better off than the common worldling.

You also explain that this process of gradually becoming aware of and crucifying non-offending, uncrucified sinful traits and habits is the process of sanctification. Obviously you have certain types of sinful traits and habits in mind, but you are usually hesitant to list them because you feel doing so isn't important. And when you do name one, it tuns out not to fit. it doesn't fall into the category you've identified as sinful traits and habits the Holy Spirit can wait to reveal to them until some later date. Then you get disgusted and tell me it just doesn't matter. But it does matter, Tom. It matters to me. Your idea that the Holy Spirit does not open my eyes to certain of my sinful ways until He thinks I'm ready to deal with it is disturbing, to say the least.

Quote:
MM: Where? Both in what you said above and in the quote you posted. People cannot have the law of God written in their heart, cannot be in harmony with the principles of His government, and retain their former old man habits of sin. Jesus told Nicodemus, "That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit." It's one or the other, not both. Jesus said, "No man can serve two masters."

TE: Serving a master and having a habit are two different things. Take a habit like swearing. There's a process involved.

1.Oh, swearing is bad. I shouldn't do that.
2.Person swears, catches himself.
3.Person catches himself before swearing, but still thinks it.
4.Person substitutes some innocuous though in place of the swearing in the thought process.
5.Person is healed.

Not every born again person stops swearing the instant they are born again. One *starts* the process of healing when one is born again. As one continues to walk with Christ, one learns to speak more and more like Him. One learns that simply not swearing is just a beginning. In addition to not swearing, one should bless others with one's words.

Tom, you're kidding me, right? What you just described is nothing less than the theory of evolution or devolution. There is no way you can support this view of sanctification from the Bible or the SOP. But if you think can support it, then please post the necessary quotes from the Bible or the SOP. Please, do not quote Jones or Waggoner if that’s where you got this idea from. I need to see it in the Bible or SOP first. Thank you.

By the way, is swearing and cursing one of those sinful traits and habits the Holy Spirit can wait to reveal to newborn babes until they are ready to deal with it? If not, then where does it say born again believers can swear while they are abiding in Jesus, while they are walking in the Spirit and in the mind of the new man?

Also, what do you mean by - "Serving a master and having a habit are two different things." Are you suggesting that serving Jesus and gradually outgrowing the sinful habit of swearing happens simultaneously? If so, please substantiate it from the Bible or the SOP. Thank you.

Page 4 of 32 1 2 3 4 5 6 31 32

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 04/28/24 11:09 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 04/21/24 06:41 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Chinese Revival?
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 06:12 PM
Carbon Dioxide What's so Bad about It?
by Daryl. 04/05/24 12:04 PM
Destruction of Canadian culture
by ProdigalOne. 04/05/24 07:46 AM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 04/29/24 09:07 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 04/28/24 09:29 AM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by dedication. 04/22/24 06:04 PM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A Second American Civil War?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:39 PM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Perils of the Emerging Church Movement
by ProdigalOne. 04/06/24 07:10 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by dedication. 04/01/24 07:48 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!