HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,629
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (dedication, Karen Y, Nadi, 3 invisible), 3,062 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 9 of 17 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 16 17
Re: The truth about the fall #9911
08/23/03 03:55 AM
08/23/03 03:55 AM
Bnd4glree  Offline
Posting New Member
Salem, Oregon - USA
quote:
I was researching something else when I suddenly realized that in Gen. 3 the serpent spoke to Eve while God spoke to the man in Gen. 2. My first reaction was, "She never heard it from God." As this realization sunk in the numerous questions I had always had about the story began to make sense.
What are the numerous questions you had about the Genesis story that this theory that Eve is somehow “not as guilty” have cleared up?

[ August 23, 2003, 02:36 AM: Message edited by: Bnd4glree ]

Re: The truth about the fall #9912
08/23/03 08:42 AM
08/23/03 08:42 AM
Darius  Offline OP
Dedicated Member
Muncie, IN
1. The main facts of the story are straightforward. Eve violated a direct command from God. There was no secret here, so no need for God to play a psychological game with them. Yet, when He comes to them He does not mention the fact that she ate of the tree. He does not appear to be upset. It is clear that something more profound is going on.

2. Moses says that the serpent was crafty, yet there is no craftiness in his question. He simply asks her for information. If she had heard it from God that would be the end of the story. He would then have had to make a plain temptation to go against God's word. As it is, he never asked her to do so. He simply provided information to her about the tree; informatation that God admits to be true.

3. The "punishments" meted out have nothing really to do with the fact that they disobeyed God. He does not appear to be concerned about that.

4. Then there is Paul's comment that Eve was deceived. If she had known directly from God there is no way what transpired could be labelled as a deception. It would be a blatant act of defiance.

Re: The truth about the fall #9913
08/26/03 04:36 AM
08/26/03 04:36 AM
Bnd4glree  Offline
Posting New Member
Salem, Oregon - USA
I am going to be studying these points. I think generally sin is not so much the act but the fact that we set out to do something on our own, whether or not we explicitly have God’s approval. I know that the discussion is about Eve, but I would think largely both Eve and Adam had the same issues with the tree – the same basic – root issues.

“Adam was created perfect -- by which we mean that he was without imperfections because by God -- but that he was not yet perfected. He needed a finishing touch somewhere. God had not yet done all that He intended to do in Adam. There was more in view, but it was as yet in abeyance. God was moving towards the fulfillment of His purpose in creating man, a purpose which went beyond man himself, for it had in view the securing to God of all His rights in the universe through man's instrumental in this? Only by a co-operation that sprang from living union with God. God was seeking to have not merely a race of men of one blood upon the earth, but a race which had, in addition, His life resident within its members. Such a race will eventually compass the downfall of Satan and bring to fulfillment all that God has set His heart upon. It is that that was in view with the creation of man.

Then again, we saw that Adam was created neutral. He had a spirit which enabled him to hold communion with God; but as man he was not yet, so to speak, finally orientated; he had powers of choice and he could, if he liked, turn the opposite way. God's goal in man was 'sonship', or, in other words, the expression of His life in human beings. That Divine life was represented in the garden by the tree of life, bearing a fruit that could be accepted, received, taken in. If Adam, created neutral, were voluntarily to turn that way and, choosing dependence upon God, were to receive of the tree of life (representing God's own life), God would then have that life in union with men; He would have realized 'sonship'. But if instead Adam should turn to the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, he would as a result be 'free' to develop himself on his own lines apart from God. Because, however, this latter choice involved complicity with Satan, Adam would thereby put beyond his reach the attaining of his God-appointed goal.

The Root Question: The Human Soul

Now we know the course that Adam chose. Standing between the two trees, he yielded to Satan and took of the fruit of the tree of knowledge. This determined the lines of his development. From then on he could command a knowledge; he 'knew'. But -- and here we come to the point -- the fruit of the tree of knowledge made the first man over-developed in his soul. The emotion was touched, because the fruit was pleasant to the eyes, making him 'desire'; the mind with its reasoning power was developed, for he was 'made wise'; and the will was strengthened, so that in future he could always decide which way he would go. The whole fruit ministered to the expansion and full development of the soul, so that not only was the man a living soul, but from henceforth man will live by the soul. It is not merely that man has a soul, but that from that day on the soul, with its independent powers of free choice, takes the place of the spirit as the animating power of man.

We have to distinguish here between two things, for the difference is most important. God does not mind -- in fact He intends -- that we should have a soul such as He gave to Adam. But what God has set Himself to do is to reverse something. There is something in man today which is not just the fact of having a soul, but which constitutes a living by the soul. It was this that Satan brought about in the Fall. He trapped man into taking a course by which he could develop his soul so as to derive his very life from it.

We must however be careful. To remedy this does not mean that we are going to cross out the soul altogether. You cannot do that. When today the Cross is really working in us, we do not become inert, insensate, characterless. No, we still possess a soul, and whenever we receive something from God the soul will still be used in relation to it, as an instrument, a faculty, in a true subjection to Him. But the point is, Are we keeping within God's appointed limit -- within the bounds set by Him in the Garden at the beginning -- with regard to the soul, or are we getting outside those bounds?

What God is now doing is the pruning work of the vinedresser. In our souls there is an uncontrolled development, an untimely growth, that has to be checked and dealt with. God must cut that off. So now there are two things before us to which our eyes must be opened. On the one hand God is seeking to bring us to the place where we live by the life of His Son. On the other hand He is doing a direct work in our hearts to undo that other natural resource that is the result of the fruit of knowledge. Every day we are learning these two lessons: a rising up of the life of this One, and a checking and a handing over to death of that other soul-life. These two processes go on all the time, for God is seeking the fully developed life of His Son in us in order to manifest Himself, and to that end He is bringing us back, as to our soul, to Adam's starting-point. So Paul says: "We which live are always delivered unto death for Jesus' sake, that the life also of Jesus may be manifested in our mortal flesh" (2 Cor. 4:11).

What does this mean? It simply means that I will not take any action without relying on God. I will find no sufficiency in myself. I will not take any step just because I have the power to do so. Even though I have that inherited power within me, I will not use it; I will put no reliance in myself. By taking the fruit, Adam became possessed of an inherent power to act, but a power which played right into Satan's hands. You lose that power to act when you come to know the Lord. The Lord cuts it off and you find you can no longer act on your own initiative. You have to live by the life of Another; you have to draw everything from Him.

Re: The truth about the fall #9914
08/26/03 01:33 PM
08/26/03 01:33 PM
Darius  Offline OP
Dedicated Member
Muncie, IN
quote:
Originally posted by Bnd4glree:
I am going to be studying these points. I think generally sin is not so much the act but the fact that we set out to do something on our own, whether or not we explicitly have God’s approval. I know that the discussion is about Eve, but I would think largely both Eve and Adam had the same issues with the tree – the same basic – root issues.

The problem with your post is that it seeks to accomodate the story of Gen. 3 into what is generally accepted as Christian belief today. I think it is wiser to interpret contemporary Christian teaching in what of how the story was written by Moses. Your post totally disregarded the nuances of the story.

Re: The truth about the fall #9915
09/08/03 03:22 AM
09/08/03 03:22 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Darius, can you please state plainly your new conclusions? what you call the truth about the Fall? Thank you. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Here's what I hear you saying. God purposefully did not warn Eve Himself against eating the forbidden fruit. He left that to Adam. He did this knowing that she would be deceived into sinning, and by not warning her Himself her sin would somehow be excusable and as such He would be able to offer mankind salvation.

Re: The truth about the fall #9916
09/07/03 04:35 PM
09/07/03 04:35 PM
Darius  Offline OP
Dedicated Member
Muncie, IN
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Lowe:
Darius, . . . [h]ere's what I hear you saying. God purposefully did not warn Eve Himself against eating the forbidden fruit. He left that to Adam. He did this knowing that she would be deceived into sinning, and by not warning her Himself her sin would somehow be excusable and as such He would be able to offer mankind salvation.

I'll be glad to oblige. It is clear that something about God's sense of justice prevented Him from preventing Lucifer's rebellion. No one would suggest that it was beyond His power. Although He knew the consequences He allowed Lucifer to pursue his course. Inherent in the ability to choose is the opportunity to choose to leave God's rulership. The opportunity is even greater for one who is being induced than for one who has no such external inducement. There was no guarantee that Adam and Eve would succumb to Lucifer's temptations but the probability was increased. God could not purchase Lucifer back; nor would He be able to purchase Adam and Eve if they succumbed. As part of the plan of salvation He opened the way for Lucifer to choose deception as his option thus laying the groundwork for the redemption of the human family.

Re: The truth about the fall #9917
09/08/03 04:41 AM
09/08/03 04:41 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
But if God was able to manipulate the Fall of mankind in such a way as to ensure a viable escape plan should they fall (if that's what you're saying) - then why wasn't He able to do something similar for the fall of Lucifer?

Re: The truth about the fall #9918
09/08/03 12:12 PM
09/08/03 12:12 PM
Darius  Offline OP
Dedicated Member
Muncie, IN
quote:
But if God was able to manipulate the Fall of mankind in such a way as to ensure a viable escape plan should they fall (if that's what you're saying) - then why wasn't He able to do something similar for the fall of Lucifer?

Because no one was attempting to tempt Lucifer? Deception of that kind requires an external force.

Re: The truth about the fall #9919
09/08/03 12:14 PM
09/08/03 12:14 PM
Darius  Offline OP
Dedicated Member
Muncie, IN
quote:
But if God was able to manipulate the Fall of mankind in such a way as to ensure a viable escape plan should they fall (if that's what you're saying)

Escape plan implies it was left to man to effect his own escape. It was a legal basis for redemption. You can only redeem what is yours but is claimed by another.

Re: The truth about the fall #9920
09/09/03 03:10 AM
09/09/03 03:10 AM
Mountain Man  Offline
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Doesn't Sister White teach that God pleaded with Lucifer to abandon his rebellion, that he could be restored to his former position, that Lucifer recanted for a time?

If God did not build in an "escape plan" for Adam and Eve (by not personally warning Eve about eating the forbidden fruit) - then just exactly what are you saying about why God did not warn her Himself?

Page 9 of 17 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 16 17

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!