HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,629
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, Nadi, 2 invisible), 2,967 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 37 of 47 1 2 35 36 37 38 39 46 47
Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Tom] #99138
05/07/08 05:59 PM
05/07/08 05:59 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, please address #99052 and #99054 (above). Thank you.

Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Tom] #99141
05/07/08 06:08 PM
05/07/08 06:08 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
[quote=Tom Ewall]
 Quote:
TE: What is your basis for saying that it was not God who destroyed Jerusalem?

MM: The fact the Romans did it.

TE: I'm asking from Scripture. When Scripture talks about the destruction of Jerusalem, it speaks of God's going it. E.g. "He (God) will miserably destroy them."

Yes, God destroyed Jerusalem by allowing evil angels to use the Roman army. God uses His enemies as instruments to punish sinners. History proves it. "God will use His enemies as instruments to punish those who have followed their own pernicious ways whereby the truth of God has been misrepresented, misjudged, and dishonored." {LDE 242.3}

Quote:
MM: However, who do you say caused the Flood?

TE: Man did, by choosing every one to do evil.

Please explain how sinners caused the Flood to happen. Did they detonate a bomb, or something, that triggered the forces of nature to unleash her fury upon them? "Satan himself, who was compelled to remain in the midst of the warring elements, feared for his own existence." (PP 99)

Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Mountain Man] #99153
05/07/08 07:02 PM
05/07/08 07:02 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Yes, God destroyed Jerusalem by allowing evil angels to use the Roman army. God uses His enemies as instruments to punish sinners. History proves it. "God will use His enemies as instruments to punish those who have followed their own pernicious ways whereby the truth of God has been misrepresented, misjudged, and dishonored." {LDE 242.3}

So how did God do this? Did He tell the Romans what to do?

Quote:
Please explain how sinners caused the Flood to happen. Did they detonate a bomb, or something, that triggered the forces of nature to unleash her fury upon them? "Satan himself, who was compelled to remain in the midst of the warring elements, feared for his own existence." (PP 99)

They did the same thing the Jews did in causing Jerusalem to be destroyed.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Tom] #99253
05/11/08 11:16 PM
05/11/08 11:16 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
TE: So how did God do this? Did He tell the Romans what to do?

MM: God destroyed Jerusalem by allowing evil angels to use the Roman army. God uses His enemies as instruments to punish sinners. History proves it. "God will use His enemies as instruments to punish those who have followed their own pernicious ways whereby the truth of God has been misrepresented, misjudged, and dishonored." {LDE 242.3}

TE: They did the same thing the Jews did in causing Jerusalem to be destroyed.

MM: God destroyed Jerusalem by allowing evil angels to use the Roman army.

Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Tom] #99285
05/12/08 10:02 PM
05/12/08 10:02 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
I am arguing against the idea that the Bible and the SOP clearly teach that God will set sinners on fire and continue burning them until they die....

Both sources of fire are literal.

How is this not a contradiction? Let's try this step by step.

1.God rains fire upon the wicked, literal fire.
2.The wicked catch on fire, their flesh in flames (you spoke in an earlier post about their flesh being in flames).

I'll stop here. Do you agree with these statements?

Obviously the wicked will feel the flames and eventually burn up, but God doesn't "set them on fire". This might seem like a trivial difference, but in this case it is better to see it the way God told it.

Do you agree with the statements?

2.The wicked catch on fire, their flesh in flames.

You didn't address 1. It looked to me like you agreed with 2.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Tom] #99286
05/12/08 10:19 PM
05/12/08 10:19 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
TE: Sorry to repeat myself, but you seem to have missed point 1. The angels *release* the winds of strife. Then come the last plagues. What the angels release is what causes the last plagues.

MM: Yes, when Jesus commands the angels to let loose the four winds, the 7LPs are poured out. Satan will have control over the "fierce winds of human passion", whereas the holy angels will pour out the plagues. Or, do you think the angels in the following passage simply give evil angels permission to pour out the plagues?

The wrath of God in Scripture is God's giving His creatures over the to results of the choice they have made. When the angels pour out the last plagues, this is what is happening.

The releasing of the winds of strife is what causes the last plagues. The angels are not releasing themselves to cause havoc, but allowing Satan and his angels to do so. This is because the Spirit of God has been stubbornly resisted and at last withdraws His protection.

Quote:
I was shown that the judgments of God would not come directly out from the Lord upon them, but in this way: They place themselves beyond His protection. He warns, corrects, reproves, and points out the only path of safety; then if those who have been the objects of His special care will follow their own course independent of the Spirit of God, after repeated warnings, if they choose their own way, then He does not commission His angels to prevent Satan's decided attacks upon them. It is Satan's power that is at work at sea and on land, bringing calamity and distress, and sweeping off multitudes to make sure of his prey. And storm and tempest both by sea and land will be, for Satan has come down in great wrath. He is at work. He knows his time is short and, if he is not restrained, we shall see more terrible manifestations of his power than we have ever dreamed of. (14 MR 3)

This is a nice description of the process. It boggles my mind that you don't see this as descriptive of the seven last plagues. This seems obvious to me, yet you disagree, so that's probably all there is to say about that.

Under your scenario, God and Satan are both causing destruction against the wicked. But God is not like Satan. It should be possible for us to tell the difference. They act differently.

For example, God is not violent, and God does not act violently. God does not use force or violence to get His way.

As the SOP puts it "force is not a principle of God's government." She also states, "force is the last resort of every false religion," but it appears to me you believe this applies to true religion as well.

Where did Jesus represent the ideas regarding God you are sharing? In particular, how can you look at the life and teachings of Jesus Christ and suppose that He would agree with the idea that God punishes people by causing their flesh to catch on flames by casting literal fire upon them, not allowing them to die, but making them continue to suffer for days or hours?

How could you not expect someone hearing this to think of God in, I'll put it charitably, a negative way? How could you expect one who believed this to not think that God's message to us is "Do what I say, or watch out! I'll do terrible things to you! I'll make you suffer unbelievable pain, worse than you can imagine, and then kill you!"

It pains me to write these things.

How could anyone with thoughts such as these not have it ever present in the back of their minds what awful things God will do if one is not obedient? If one thinks this way, how can one every be motivated by disinterested love? How can one hear the soft whisperings of love of the Holy Spirit when the shouts of fire and destruction are present?

Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Tom] #99297
05/13/08 05:29 PM
05/13/08 05:29 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, do you agree with the following insight?

"God will use His enemies as instruments to punish those who have followed their own pernicious ways whereby the truth of God has been misrepresented, misjudged, and dishonored." {LDE 242.3}

Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Mountain Man] #99298
05/13/08 05:37 PM
05/13/08 05:37 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
Do you agree with the statements?

2.The wicked catch on fire, their flesh in flames.

You didn't address 1. It looked to me like you agreed with 2.

It's been awhile, so I'll repost her description:

Quote:
EW 294, 295
Satan rushes into the midst of his followers and tries to stir up the multitude to action. But fire from God out of heaven is rained upon them, and the great men, and mighty men, the noble, the poor and miserable, are all consumed together. I saw that some were quickly destroyed, while others suffered longer. They were punished according to the deeds done in the body. Some were many days consuming, and just as long as there was a portion of them unconsumed, all the sense of suffering remained. Said the angel, "The worm of life shall not die; their fire shall not be quenched as long as there is the least particle for it to prey upon." {EW 294.1}

Satan and his angels suffered long. Satan bore not only the weight and punishment of his own sins, but also of the sins of the redeemed host, which had been placed upon him; and he must also suffer for the ruin of souls which he had caused. Then I saw that Satan and all the wicked host were consumed, and the justice of God was satisfied; and all the angelic host, and all the redeemed saints, with a loud voice said, "Amen!" {EW 294.2}

This is what I believe - no more, no less. It agrees with the first statement you posted above, but it does not spell out the details like your second statement.

Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Tom] #99300
05/13/08 05:57 PM
05/13/08 05:57 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Originally Posted By: Tom Ewall
 Quote:
TE: Sorry to repeat myself, but you seem to have missed point 1. The angels *release* the winds of strife. Then come the last plagues. What the angels release is what causes the last plagues.

MM: Yes, when Jesus commands the angels to let loose the four winds, the 7LPs are poured out. Satan will have control over the "fierce winds of human passion", whereas the holy angels will pour out the plagues. Or, do you think the angels in the following passage simply give evil angels permission to pour out the plagues?

The wrath of God in Scripture is God's giving His creatures over the to results of the choice they have made. When the angels pour out the last plagues, this is what is happening.

The releasing of the winds of strife is what causes the last plagues. The angels are not releasing themselves to cause havoc, but allowing Satan and his angels to do so. This is because the Spirit of God has been stubbornly resisted and at last withdraws His protection.

Quote:
I was shown that the judgments of God would not come directly out from the Lord upon them, but in this way: They place themselves beyond His protection. He warns, corrects, reproves, and points out the only path of safety; then if those who have been the objects of His special care will follow their own course independent of the Spirit of God, after repeated warnings, if they choose their own way, then He does not commission His angels to prevent Satan's decided attacks upon them. It is Satan's power that is at work at sea and on land, bringing calamity and distress, and sweeping off multitudes to make sure of his prey. And storm and tempest both by sea and land will be, for Satan has come down in great wrath. He is at work. He knows his time is short and, if he is not restrained, we shall see more terrible manifestations of his power than we have ever dreamed of. (14 MR 3)

This is a nice description of the process. It boggles my mind that you don't see this as descriptive of the seven last plagues. This seems obvious to me, yet you disagree, so that's probably all there is to say about that.

Under your scenario, God and Satan are both causing destruction against the wicked. But God is not like Satan. It should be possible for us to tell the difference. They act differently.

For example, God is not violent, and God does not act violently. God does not use force or violence to get His way.

As the SOP puts it "force is not a principle of God's government." She also states, "force is the last resort of every false religion," but it appears to me you believe this applies to true religion as well.

Where did Jesus represent the ideas regarding God you are sharing? In particular, how can you look at the life and teachings of Jesus Christ and suppose that He would agree with the idea that God punishes people by causing their flesh to catch on flames by casting literal fire upon them, not allowing them to die, but making them continue to suffer for days or hours?

How could you not expect someone hearing this to think of God in, I'll put it charitably, a negative way? How could you expect one who believed this to not think that God's message to us is "Do what I say, or watch out! I'll do terrible things to you! I'll make you suffer unbelievable pain, worse than you can imagine, and then kill you!"

It pains me to write these things.

How could anyone with thoughts such as these not have it ever present in the back of their minds what awful things God will do if one is not obedient? If one thinks this way, how can one every be motivated by disinterested love? How can one hear the soft whisperings of love of the Holy Spirit when the shouts of fire and destruction are present?

Tom, I agree with you that God is loving and long suffering. But when men or nations fill up their cup of iniquity God is not too kind or lenient to do what is right. Listen to how it is described in the Bible:

Deuteronomy
28:1 And it shall come to pass, if thou shalt hearken diligently unto the voice of the LORD thy God, to observe [and] to do all his commandments which I command thee this day, that the LORD thy God will set thee on high above all nations of the earth:
28:2 And all these blessings shall come on thee, and overtake thee, if thou shalt hearken unto the voice of the LORD thy God.

Deuteronomy
28:15 But it shall come to pass, if thou wilt not hearken unto the voice of the LORD thy God, to observe to do all his commandments and his statutes which I command thee this day; that all these curses shall come upon thee, and overtake thee:
28:58 If thou wilt not observe to do all the words of this law that are written in this book, that thou mayest fear this glorious and fearful name, THE LORD THY GOD;
28:59 Then the LORD will make thy plagues wonderful, and the plagues of thy seed, [even] great plagues, and of long continuance, and sore sicknesses, and of long continuance.
28:63 And it shall come to pass, [that] as the LORD rejoiced over you to do you good, and to multiply you; so the LORD will rejoice over you to destroy you, and to bring you to nought; and ye shall be plucked from off the land whither thou goest to possess it.

"So the LORD will rejoice over you to destroy you." This doesn't sound like God, does it? Neither does it sound like holy angels in the following passage:

Revelation
16:5 And I heard the angel of the waters say, Thou art righteous, O Lord, which art, and wast, and shalt be, because thou hast judged thus.
16:6 For they have shed the blood of saints and prophets, and thou hast given them blood to drink; for they are worthy.
16:7 And I heard another out of the altar say, Even so, Lord God Almighty, true and righteous [are] thy judgments.

Tom, you have been advocating that it is evil angels, not holy angels, who will pour out the 7LPs. In the Bible the holy angels attribute the out pouring of the plagues to God. Would you have me believe the evil angels will do something that will cause the holy angels to praise God?

Re: What does it mean - The wrath and vengeance of "an offfended God"? [Re: Mountain Man] #99313
05/14/08 02:24 AM
05/14/08 02:24 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Tom, do you agree with the following insight?

"God will use His enemies as instruments to punish those who have followed their own pernicious ways whereby the truth of God has been misrepresented, misjudged, and dishonored." {LDE 242.3}

This is what I've been saying, isn't it? How God does this is explained in detail in the first chapter of "The Great Controversy."

Quote:
This is what I believe - no more, no less. It agrees with the first statement you posted above, but it does not spell out the details like your second statement.

I just quoted what you said. *You* said that their flesh catches on flames.

Do you disagree with what you said previously? Or do you agree that their flesh catches on flames? Assuming you agree with what you said previously, then you believe:

1.God rains fire upon the wicked.
2.Flames engulf their flesh.

Quote:
Tom, I agree with you that God is loving and long suffering. But when men or nations fill up their cup of iniquity God is not too kind or lenient to do what is right.

I understand "to do what is right" to mean to allow the wicked the choice of their free will, as described in GC 35-37.

If we wish to know what God is like, we have merely to consider His Son. "When You've seen Me, you've seen the Father."

Page 37 of 47 1 2 35 36 37 38 39 46 47

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!