HOME CHAT ROOM #1 CHAT ROOM #2 Forum Topics Within The Last 7 Days REGISTER ENTER FORUMS BIBLE SCHOOL CONTACT US

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine Christian Family Fellowship Forums
(formerly Maritime SDA OnLine)
Consisting mainly of both members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church
Welcomes and invites other members and friends of the Seventh-day Adventist Church to join us!

Click Here To Read Legal Notice & Disclaimer
Suggested a One Time Yearly $20 or Higher Donation Accepted Here to Help Cover the Yearly Expenses of Operating & Upgrading. We need at least $20 X 10 yearly donations.
Donations accepted: Here
ShoutChat Box
Newest Members
ekoorb1030, jibb555, MBloomfield, Dina, Nelson
1323 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums118
Topics9,199
Posts195,629
Members1,323
Most Online5,850
Feb 29th, 2020
Seventh-day Adventist Church In Canada Links
Seventh-day Adventist Church in Canada

Newfoundland & Labrador Mission

Maritime Conference

Quebec Conference

Ontario Conference

Manitoba-Saskatchewan Conference

Alberta Conference

British Columbia Conference

7 Top Posters(30 Days)
Rick H 24
kland 13
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Member Spotlight
dedication
dedication
Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Live Space Station Tracking
Here is a link to show exactly where the Space Station is over earth right now: Click Here
Last 7 Pictures From Photo Gallery Forums
He hath set an harvest for thee
Rivers Of Living Water
He Leads Us To Green Pastures
Remember What God Has Done
Remember The Sabbath
"...whiter than snow..."
A Beautiful Spring Day
Who's Online
6 registered members (Karen Y, Daryl, dedication, Nadi, 2 invisible), 2,967 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 12 of 55 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 54 55
Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #99090
05/06/08 06:54 PM
05/06/08 06:54 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Lindax, your testimony is awesome. Thank you, Jesus. If you are living in harmony with your conscience and convictions, living up to the light you have received, there is no reason for you to doubt God's forgiveness and acceptance of you. Praise the Lord.

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #99093
05/06/08 07:14 PM
05/06/08 07:14 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
Tom, she clearly says, "In all these ways they declare that Christ is not in them." If Jesus is not dwelling in us, then all our thoughts, words, and deeds are tainted with sin, right?

"All that man can do without Christ is polluted with selfishness and sin. It is the grace of Christ alone, through faith, that can make us holy." {SC 59.4}

So, are you suggesting born again believers, in whom Jesus is *not* dwelling, can do one or more of the things Sister White listed without denying Jesus? Since what they're doing is polluted with selfishness and sin, how is it not denying Jesus?

She says that those who have not the Spirit of Christ deny Christ may deny Christ in a number of ways (the list she cites). She does not say that someone doing something on the list is of necessity denying Christ. The logic goes in one direction, not the other.

For example, one can take a ferry, a train, or drive a car to get to work. Anyone going to work does one of these things. It does not follow that someone doing one of these things is going to work.

Quote:
Neglecting to abide in Jesus is a sin of omission. Born again believers commit sins of commission when they neglect to abide in Jesus. Sins of omission and commission are both known sins. They do not count as sins of ignorance. What is your point?

TE: If neglecting to abide in Jesus is a known sin, and one cannot commit a known sin while abiding in Christ, then one abiding in Christ cannot neglect to abide in Christ.

Tom, sin is the only thing that can separate us from God. The only known sin we can commit, therefore, while abiding in Jesus is the sin of omission, the sin of neglecting to abide in Jesus. Free will assumes it. It is also assumed in the following passages:

MM, your positions are self-contradicting. As I stated before:

Quote:
If neglecting to abide in Jesus is a known sin, and one cannot commit a known sin while abiding in Christ, then one abiding in Christ cannot neglect to abide in Christ.

It cannot be the case that both the following are true:

1.Neglecting to abide in Jesus is a known sin.
2.No one who abides in Jesus commits a known sin.

unless you believe that once someone abides in Jesus, they can never discontinue doing so.

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Tom] #99123
05/07/08 03:55 PM
05/07/08 03:55 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:
MM: Tom, she clearly says, "In all these ways they declare that Christ is not in them." If Jesus is not dwelling in us, then all our thoughts, words, and deeds are tainted with sin, right?

"All that man can do without Christ is polluted with selfishness and sin. It is the grace of Christ alone, through faith, that can make us holy." {SC 59.4}

So, are you suggesting born again believers, in whom Jesus is *not* dwelling, can do one or more of the things Sister White listed without denying Jesus? Since what they're doing is polluted with selfishness and sin, how is it not denying Jesus?

TE: She says that those who have not the Spirit of Christ deny Christ may deny Christ in a number of ways (the list she cites). She does not say that someone doing something on the list is of necessity denying Christ. The logic goes in one direction, not the other.

After the list of denials she concludes, "In all these ways they declare that Christ is not in them." Please notice what she didn't say. She didn't say, In *some* of these ways they declare that Christ is not in them.

In other words, in every one of the ways and works she named people who profess to be Christians are declaring that Jesus is not dwelling in their hearts. In all of these ways they deny Jesus. Here's how it is described in the Bible:

Titus
1:15 Unto the pure all things [are] pure: but unto them that are defiled and unbelieving [is] nothing pure; but even their mind and conscience is defiled.
1:16 They profess that they know God; but in works they deny [him], being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate.

Tom, I am surprised you are arguing against this point. Nothing could be plainer in the Bible. People who profess to know God deny Jesus when their works do not correspond to their profession. Please name one or more of the ways and works Sister White listed that do not deny Jesus in cases involving people who profess to be Christians. For your convenience, I posted the list earlier on this thread.

Quote:
TE: For example, one can take a ferry, a train, or drive a car to get to work. Anyone going to work does one of these things. It does not follow that someone doing one of these things is going to work.

Correct. But this analogy does not take into consideration what Sister White wrote about the list of ways and works she named. She said, "In all these ways they declare that Christ is not in them." Whether or not a person is on a ferry, a train, or in a car it does not change the fact Jesus is not in their heart if they are guilty of anyone one of the ways and works on the list.

Quote:
TE: It cannot be the case that both the following are true:

1.Neglecting to abide in Jesus is a known sin.
2.No one who abides in Jesus commits a known sin.

unless you believe that once someone abides in Jesus, they can never discontinue doing so.

You're right, I sit corrected. The only known sin we can commit while abiding in Jesus is the sin of omitting or neglecting to abide in Jesus.

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #99130
05/07/08 05:28 PM
05/07/08 05:28 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
After the list of denials she concludes, "In all these ways they declare that Christ is not in them." Please notice what she didn't say. She didn't say, In *some* of these ways they declare that Christ is not in them.

You're still applying the logic in the wrong direction.

Consider the analogy again. I go to work by ferry, train, or car. "In all these ways, I go to work." Just because I'm on a ferry, train, or car, does not mean I'm going to work. Notice I didn't say that in some of these ways I go to work. In *all* of these ways I go to work, but because I'm doing one of these things, does not mean I'm going to work!

Quote:
You're right, I sit corrected. The only known sin we can commit while abiding in Jesus is the sin of omitting or neglecting to abide in Jesus.

But after committing this known sin, one can commit any other. So saying one cannot commit a known sin while abiding in Jesus (other than stopping to abide in Jesus) isn't really saying much, is it? It's pretty much saying "As long as one is not committing a known sin, one cannot commit a known sin," isn't it?

Those who wait for the Bridegroom's coming are to say to the people, "Behold your God." The last rays of merciful light, the last message of mercy to be given to the world, is a revelation of His character of love.
Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Tom] #99256
05/11/08 11:19 PM
05/11/08 11:19 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Tom, how do you explain 1 John 3:6, 9?

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #99282
05/12/08 09:48 PM
05/12/08 09:48 PM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
John is not describing the process of being born again in this passage. He does so in John chapter 3. He discusses a characteristic of one who is born again, which is that such a one does not practice sin. It's the same idea that EGW discusses in saying that the character is not determined by the occasional good deed or the occasional misdeed. John allows for the possibility of one sinning by saying that "if anyone sin, we have an advocated with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous."

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Tom] #99301
05/13/08 06:05 PM
05/13/08 06:05 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
 Quote:
MM: Tom, how do you explain 1 John 3:6, 9?

TE: John is not describing the process of being born again in this passage. He does so in John chapter 3. He discusses a characteristic of one who is born again, which is that such a one does not practice sin. It's the same idea that EGW discusses in saying that the character is not determined by the occasional good deed or the occasional misdeed. John allows for the possibility of one sinning by saying that "if anyone sin, we have an advocated with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous."

Where in 1 John 3:6,9 does it imply "if any man sin"? The text says the exact opposite, does it not?

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #99314
05/14/08 02:26 AM
05/14/08 02:26 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
 Quote:
John allows for the possibility of one sinning by saying that "if anyone sin, we have an advocated with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous."

Sorry, I thought you were familiar with this.

Quote:
My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous: (1 John 2:1)

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Tom] #99329
05/14/08 04:12 PM
05/14/08 04:12 PM
Mountain Man  Offline OP
SDA
Charter Member
Active Member 2019

20000+ Member
Southwest USA
Okay, but where in 1 John 3:6,9 does it imply "if any man sin"? The text says the exact opposite, does it not?

Re: Are we born again with uncrucified sinful habits? [Re: Mountain Man] #99349
05/15/08 12:45 AM
05/15/08 12:45 AM
Tom  Offline
Active Member 2012
14500+ Member
Lawrence, Kansas
Here's what I said:

Quote:
John allows for the possibility of one sinning by saying that "if anyone sin, we have an advocated with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous."

This is in 1 John 2:1.

Please note I did not say "1 John 3:6,9 says 'if anyone sin,' etc."

Page 12 of 55 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 54 55

Moderator  dedication, Rick H 

Sabbath School Lesson Study Material Link
Here is the link to this week's Sabbath School Lesson Study and Discussion Material: Click Here
Most Recent Posts From Selected Public Forums
Seven Trumpets reconsidered
by Karen Y. 05/06/24 12:18 PM
The Gospel According To John
by dedication. 05/05/24 05:39 AM
2nd Quarter 2024 The Great Controversy
by dedication. 05/03/24 02:55 AM
Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?
by Rick H. 04/26/24 06:05 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: The Sunday Law
by dedication. 04/22/24 05:15 PM
Nebuchadnezzar Speaks: Part Two
by TruthinTypes. 04/21/24 11:14 PM
Where is the crises with Climate mandates?
by dedication. 04/21/24 09:25 PM
Iran strikes Israel as War Expands
by dedication. 04/21/24 05:07 PM
What Happens at the End.
by Rick H. 04/20/24 11:39 AM
Global Warming Farce
by kland. 04/18/24 05:51 PM
Will You Take The Wuhan Virus Vaccine?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:24 PM
Most Recent Posts From Selected Private Forums of MSDAOL
What Does EGW Say About Ordination?
by dedication. 05/06/24 02:37 PM
Who is the AntiChrist? (Identifying Him)
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:33 PM
Are we seeing a outpouring of the Holy Spirit?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:29 PM
A Second American Civil War?
by Rick H. 05/06/24 12:27 PM
The Wound Is Healed! The Mark Is Forming!
by kland. 05/06/24 10:32 AM
When Does Satan Impersonate Christ?
by Rick H. 05/03/24 10:09 AM
Is There A Connection Between WO & LGBTQ?
by dedication. 05/02/24 08:58 PM
The Papacy And The American Election
by Rick H. 04/30/24 09:34 AM
Christian Nationalism/Sunday/C
limate Change

by Rick H. 04/13/24 10:19 AM
A.I. - The New God?
by kland. 04/11/24 12:34 PM
Forum Announcements
Visitors by Country Since February 11, 2013
Flag Counter
Google Maritime SDA OnLine Public Forums Site Search & Google Translation Service
Google

Web www.maritime-sda-online.com

Copyright 2000-Present
Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine).

LEGAL NOTICE:
The views expressed in this forum are those of individuals
and do not necessarily represent those of Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine,
as well as the Seventh-day Adventist Church
from the local church level to the General Conference level.

Maritime 2nd Advent Believers OnLine (formerly Maritime SDA OnLine) is also a self-supporting ministry
and is not part of, or affiliated with, or endorsed by
The General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland
or any of its subsidiaries.

"And He saith unto them, follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Matt. 4:19
MARITIME 2ND ADVENT BELIEVERS ONLINE (FORMERLY MARITIME SDA ONLINE) CONSISTING MAINLY OF BOTH MEMBERS & FRIENDS
OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH,
INVITES OTHER MEMBERS & FRIENDS OF THE SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD WHO WISHES TO JOIN US!